• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Today's a rough day, man...

Like I said on the newcomer speculah thread, I'm still holding out for his inclusion in the future, since Terry's stage is clearly a KOF arena stage despite being a Fatal Fury character. I'm probably grasping at straws here, but man... I just want Kyo in Smash lol.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I think Kyo's possible inclusion hinges on how much KoF content we get.

If he's completely absent and there is no KoF content then he still has a shot.

If he appears in the background of Terry's stage like Ryo does or we get some KoF songs + mii costumes, then he's pretty much done for.

Interesting to note though how the crossover was specifically titled Smash x Fatal Fury, not SNK or KoF. Art of Fighting (which has Ryo) takes place in the FF universe so that could explain his appearance on the stage. If I recall correctly, FF/AoF and KoF take place in different universes hence things like Geese still being alive in KoF. Also keep in mind that the tournament in Fatal Fury was also called The King of Fighters for whatever that's worth. We might not get any KoF series content at all which could bode well for Kyo in the future.

I know I'm definitely grasping at straws here but even if he gets 100% deconfirmed I'm always gonna support Kyo.

If he doesn't get in at all I'm at least hoping we get a mii costume and some KoF songs.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
As much as I want to support him, at this point I'm expecting the worst-case scenario and just going to move forward with the mindset that he's effectively deconfirmed now. Sure things could change and he might not be in the background of the stage and have no presence in the game otherwise, but I certainly don't want to disappoint myself any further than I'm feeling now...

You hate to see it, but that's how things have to be for now.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
As much as I want to support him, at this point I'm expecting the worst-case scenario and just going to move forward with the mindset that he's effectively deconfirmed now. Sure things could change and he might not be in the background of the stage and have no presence in the game otherwise, but I certainly don't want to disappoint myself ant further than I'm feeling now...

You hate to see it, but that's how things have to be for now.
Yeah that's essentially how I'm going through with this as well. At this point I'll be really excited if he gets a mii costume.

Gotta say though things are looking pretty good for him in the next Smash game. Aside from everything he had going for him before, now he has the following:
  • With Terry in Smash, Kyo is now the most likely SNK character.
  • The fact that Kyo and Iori appeared in the Smash trailer and were teased to be possible candidates is big on its own. Its undeniable proof that Sakurai still considers KoF to be an important series.
  • KoF XV is coming out and more people will get into it thanks to Smash. This means even more KoF fans and in general more Kyo support.
Overall while his chances for Ultimate are pretty much over I still think he has a pretty good chance for the next game.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I would like to say that Kyo´s hand, and that the scenario is a KOF arena... there might be a chance. If not, Kyo fans you did great.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well it's a shame that Kyo doesn't stray but Terry is fine too

StormC

Smash Hero
These last few days have been crazy intense speculation for the SNK rep. I really did wonder for a moment if it was gonna be Kyo once that trailer began.

Guess we'll see what happens with SNK content when Terry gets in. Sorry he didn't make it for now.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else kinda hoping there is no King of Fighters spirits and cameos so they can possibly come in a later DLC for Kyo? It's true that Ryo is on the stage but he's also part of the Fatal Fury universe, unlike Kyo and the other KOF originals. The pass is labelled as Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, and the game has plenty of characters to use as spirits without needing to rely on KOF.

I don't really expect this but I also always hope for the best.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Anyone else kinda hoping there is no King of Fighters spirits and cameos so they can possibly come in a later DLC for Kyo? It's true that Ryo is on the stage but he's also part of the Fatal Fury universe, unlike Kyo and the other KOF originals. The pass is labelled as Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, and the game has plenty of characters to use as spirits without needing to rely on KOF.

Plus, being on the stage is not a deconfirm, like with Toon Link and Dedede.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Although, I'm pleased to see Terry as a playable character, I think Kyo should've been a 1st King of Fighters rep, and Terry should've been a 2nd rep. There may be chance that we might get two King of Fighters rep. And also, why is Terry the first King of Fighters rep instead of Kyo? At least he has his own series.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Makes sense, but I don't think we should have him without Kyo or vice versa. I think Kyo and Terry need to be included together.
The crossover is billed as Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, and Kyo doesn't exists in that game.
If the crossover was Smash Bros X King of Fighters, then Kyo should have been chosen (and arguably, Iori should be the second in this scenario).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's hard to tell because of the way they presented the trailer, but my guess so far is that Terry's Spirit and song selection will be entirely from Fatal Fury, despite his stage referencing KoF, Art of Fighting and (possibly) SamSho via cameos.

So Terry will still be a Fatal Fury rep at heart, despite some KoF homages.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
The crossover is billed as Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, and Kyo doesn't exists in that game.
If the crossover was Smash Bros X King of Fighters, then Kyo should have been chosen (and arguably, Iori should be the second in this scenario).
I meant that Kyo and Terry would be separate Challenger packs, but they both need to be released.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
Does "Terry and Kyo are both in Smash" mean "Fatal Fury and KoF are seperately different franchise"?

Sh4d0wGaM3RDX

Smash Rookie
Hello.

I fully support Kyo Kusanagi in Smash. Since Terry is considered a Fatal Fury rep, there's still hope for a KoF rep in the future and I want it to be Kyo.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So Sakurai revealed in a recent livestream that Square Enix approached him with Slime as their character choice before he went with Hero.

Really makes you wonder if SNK approached Sakurai with a character idea of their own. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to push for Kyo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So Sakurai revealed in a recent livestream that Square Enix approached him with Slime as their character choice before he went with Hero.

Really makes you wonder if SNK approached Sakurai with a character idea of their own. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to push for Kyo.
Maybe. The thing is that Kyo is the poster boy for SNK's biggest series, but Terry is the poster boy of SNK itself. Neither option would really surprise me had it been directly suggested by them.

It's entirely possible, though. Ubisoft sent Nintendo the Rayman model for Smash 4 without them asking, so they seem to be pushing for him despite Rayman no longer being their biggest series or as much of a company mascot as he used to be. Just a random example I thought I'd give.

D

Deleted member

This may be too early to speculate but for future Smash games, I wondered who would be a 2nd rep for both Microsoft and SNK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This may be too early to speculate but for future Smash games, i wondered who would be a 2nd rep for both Microsoft and SNK.
Microsoft would probably go for Steve or Master Chief (leaning towards Steve though).

SNK would probably be Kyo since he's the star of their longest running franchise. Nakoruru would be a close runnerup given her popularity.

D

Deleted member

I guess I can stick with Haohmaru, I mean I'm not a Samurai Showdown fan but because we don't have any sword user that relys on samurai sword fight, again I can take Haoaru over Kyo (no hate for Kyo though).

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So I had a random idea that will likely never happen: Marvel vs. Capcom vs. SNK

Here’s my idea for a roster:

(NOTE: Bold outside the titles represents a boss character, italics represents a sub-boss)

Capcom
  1. Ryu
  2. Chun-Li
  3. Necro
  4. Sakura
  5. Sagat
  6. M. Bison and Balrog (one fighter per round)
  7. Mega Man
  8. Roll
  9. Dr. Wily
  10. Morrigan
  11. Dimitri
  12. Captain Commando
  13. Tessa
  14. Jill Valentine*
  15. Kyosuke
  16. Momo Karuizawa
  17. Strider Hiryu
  18. Jin Saotome
  19. Son-Son
  20. Cody
  21. Gill (Secret final boss)

SNK
  1. Terry Bogard
  2. Kyo Kusanagi
  3. Iori Yagami
  4. Geese Howard
  5. Rock Howard
  6. Yuri Sakazaki
  7. Robert Garcia
  8. Rugal
  9. Nakoruru
  10. Joe Higashi
  11. Fio Germi
  12. Kasumi Tōdō
  13. Athena Asamiya
  14. Mai Shiranui
  15. Duck King
  16. Leona
  17. Wolfgang Krauser
  18. Chang and Choi
  19. Kim Kaphwan
  20. Billy Kane

MARVEL
  1. Iron Man
  2. Captain America
  3. Hulk
  4. Wolverine
  5. Spider-Man
  6. Cyclops
  7. Gambit
  8. Iceman
  9. Sentinel
  10. Psylocke
  11. Venom
  12. Blackheart
  13. Silver Samurai
  14. Dr. Doom
  15. Shuma Gorath
  16. Juggernaut
  17. Sabertooth
  18. Magneto
  19. Kingpin
  20. Punisher

Jojo’s Bizzare Adventure (yes, they had a game developed by Capcom; more specifically, the team behind the SFIII series)
  1. Jotaro Kujo
  2. Noriaki Kakyoin
  3. Muhammad Avdol
  4. Jean Pierre Polnareff
  5. Joseph Joestar (Part II)
  6. Alessi

Total Fighters: 66

*Plays how she does in MvC2.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Capcom
  1. Ryu
  2. Chun-Li
  3. Necro
  4. Sakura
  5. M. Bison
  6. Mega Man and Roll
  7. Guts Man
  8. Dr. Wily
  9. Zero
  10. Morrigan
  11. Dimitri
  12. Firebrand
  13. Tessa
  14. Jill Valentine*
  15. Kyosuke
  16. Momo Karuizawa
  17. Strider Hiryu
  18. Jin Saotome
  19. Son-Son
  20. Mike Haggar

SNK
  1. Terry Bogard
  2. Kyo Kusanagi
  3. Iori Yagami
  4. Geese Howard
  5. Rock Howard
  6. Yuri Sakazaki
  7. Robert Garcia
  8. Rugal
  9. Nakoruru
  10. Joe Higashi
  11. Fio Germi
  12. Kasumi Tōdō
  13. Athena Asamiya
  14. Mai Shiranui
  15. Duck King
  16. Leona
  17. Wolfgang Krauser
  18. Chang and Choi
  19. Kim Kaphwan
  20. Billy Kane

MARVEL
  1. Iron Man
  2. Captain America
  3. Hulk
  4. Wolverine
  5. Spider-Man
  6. Cyclops
  7. Gambit
  8. Iron Fist
  9. Blade
  10. Psylocke
  11. Thor
  12. Blackheart
  13. Jubilee
  14. Dr. Doom
  15. Shuma Gorath
  16. Juggernaut
  17. Dr. Octopus
  18. Magneto
  19. Kingpin
  20. Punisher

Jojo’s Bizzare Adventure (yes, they had a game developed by Capcom; more specifically, the team behind the SFIII series)
  1. Jotaro Kujo
  2. Noriaki Kakyoin
  3. Muhammad Avdol
  4. Jean Pierre Polnareff
  6. Alessi

For the SNK roster I'd try to fit in Haohmaru, Rugal, K', and Kula. Aside from that, great list!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For the SNK roster I'd try to fit in Haohmaru, Rugal, K', and Kula. Aside from that, great list!
Oh yeah—Haohmaru is an assist character in my idea! Here’s the whole list:

-Thor
-Colossus
-Loki
-Hawkeye
-Blade
-Green Goblin
-Moon Knight
-Charles Xavier
-Mysterio
-Nick Fury

-Arthur
-Tyrant T-Type
-Dhalsim
-Alex
-Elec Man
-Bass & Treble
-Captain Cammando
-B.B. Hood
-Anita
-Hayato

-Hon-Fu
-Ryo
-Haohmaru
-Hibiki
-Kula Diamond
-Yamazaki
-Tung Fu Rue
-Benimaru
-King
-Andy Bogard

EDIT (12/2/19): Let’s drop the idea of Assist characters in this scenario.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408

Capcom
  1. Ryu
  2. Chun-Li
  3. Necro
  4. Sakura
  5. M. Bison
  6. Mega Man and Roll
  7. Guts Man
  8. Dr. Wily
  9. Zero
  10. Morrigan
  11. Dimitri
  12. Firebrand
  13. Tessa
  14. Jill Valentine*
  15. Kyosuke
  16. Momo Karuizawa
  17. Strider Hiryu
  18. Jin Saotome
  19. Son-Son
  20. Mike Haggar

SNK
  1. Terry Bogard
  2. Kyo Kusanagi
  3. Iori Yagami
  4. Geese Howard
  5. Rock Howard
  6. Yuri Sakazaki
  7. Robert Garcia
  8. Rugal
  9. Nakoruru
  10. Joe Higashi
  11. Fio Germi
  12. Kasumi Tōdō
  13. Athena Asamiya
  14. Mai Shiranui
  15. Duck King
  16. Leona
  17. Wolfgang Krauser
  18. Chang and Choi
  19. Kim Kaphwan
  20. Billy Kane

MARVEL
  1. Iron Man
  2. Captain America
  3. Hulk
  4. Wolverine
  5. Spider-Man
  6. Cyclops
  7. Gambit
  8. Iron Fist
  9. Blade
  10. Psylocke
  11. Thor
  12. Blackheart
  13. Jubilee
  14. Dr. Doom
  15. Shuma Gorath
  16. Juggernaut
  17. Dr. Octopus
  18. Magneto
  19. Kingpin
  20. Punisher

1. Jotaro Kujo
  2. Noriaki Kakyoin
  3. Muhammad Avdol
  4. Jean Pierre Polnareff
  6. Alessi

Strider Doom Iori would be my team lol.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Has anyone else here downloaded KoF All-Stars? If so, how are you liking it?

So far it's been really fun. Got '98 Vice and '97 Shingo so far. If anyone wants to add me my friend code is J0W1D9.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So what's the consensus on a possible Kyo mii costume? Are you guys expecting one and if so would you be glad about it?

I don't have much hope for him being a character after Terry's reveal, so if we did get a Kyo mii costume I'd be pretty satisfied tbh.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So what's the consensus on a possible Kyo mii costume? Are you guys expecting one and if so would you be glad about it?

I don't have much hope for him being a character after Terry's reveal, so if we did get a Kyo mii costume I'd be pretty satisfied tbh.
Mixed feelings, really..

On one hand I'd be glad the boi is getting some love, but... DLC costumes? That's a 99% disconfirm for me, so I'd be kinda sad.

Man, at times like these I'm just really glad Terry leaked, as petty as that sounds. The beginning of that trailer would have made me so salty if I didn't know it was a jape beforehand lol.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Mixed feelings, really..

On one hand I'd be glad the boi is getting some love, but... DLC costumes? That's a 99% disconfirm for me, so I'd be kinda sad.

Man, at times like these I'm just really glad Terry leaked, as petty as that sounds. The beginning of that trailer would have made me so salty if I didn't know it was a jape beforehand lol.
Granted while I would love for him to be playable more than anything, I'll take a mii costume over nothing.

I won't lie though: if he's a background character in Terry's stage and nothing else, I'm going to spew so much :shaker:.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Granted while I would love for him to be playable more than anything, I'll take a mii costume over nothing.

I won't lie though: if he's a background character in Terry's stage and nothing else, I'm going to spew so much :shaker:.
Same. Between a Spirit/Mii Costume and nothing at all until the next Smash (God knows when that will be), I'll take the Spirit and Costume any day.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
As it stands, Kyo has, at best, a non-zero chance of being playable, keeping in mind that there's more DLC.

Honestly, I'd rather he have 0 presence at all, because that'll at least mean there's still a chance in the future that he'll be playable in the future of Smash Ultimate.

If he is a Mii Costume, I hope he at least comes with music a la Sans.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
RIP

Hoping we at least get a mii costume.

EDIT: Nope, no mii costume.

Happy for everything else but damn this hurts. At least we got some KoF songs.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom