• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So if Kyo did get in, what do you guys think his victory theme should be?

This video is missing the XIII and XIV victory themes, which you can find here and here respectively.

Personally I'd go with the 96 or 98 victory theme, though I also like the 94 and 95 ones.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

This video is missing the XIII and XIV victory themes, which you can find here and here respectively.

Personally I'd go with the 96 or 98 victory theme, though I also like the 94 and 95 ones.
My guess would be '94, '95 or XIV. Methinks Sakurai will either go full retro or full modern.

For an emblem, would it be this or this (not the full emblem, just the "F")? There's also this one, bit I think it's too complicated, Smash tends to go "simple and clean" with the series' emblems.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My guess would be '94, '95 or XIV. Methinks Sakurai will either go full retro or full modern.

For an emblem, would it be this or this (not the full emblem, just the "F")? There's also this one, bit I think it's too complicated, Smash tends to go "simple and clean" with the series' emblems.
I feel like it'd be the F logo since it's in just about all of the game titles. If not then they'd probably go for the first one.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wait, I think I got this. Remember how Joker's victory fanfare is different in Mementos depending on the track you pick?

Well, what if Kyo's is different based on his alt costume? '94 for his original design, XIV for the new one.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
actually I have my own idea for kyo's victory screen
have the kof xiv victory music
but have kyo do a quote dialogue for every character in the roster like the special win quotes from kof xiv
basically have kyo interact with the other characters at the victory screen via some special win dialgoue

for example kyo could have some dialogue for Mario that goes like this for example ' your fire may be strong Mario but just to let you know my flames triumph yours'
or kyo interact with Ryu like ' I'd never imagine that I would meet you here after so long ryu lets have some more fun the next time'
stuff like that that could be something unique to him and only him

plus if kyo does end up being the next dlc fighter because of that confirmed leak from Nintendo themselves i wouldn't mind if in the middle of the trailer iori yagami could show up to crash the party as a bonus character that you could get by being a switch online subscriber or something like that when he releases later in the winter but will be able to be purchasable a bit later on the eshop after kyo's release like piranha plant

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/NanaKarobiNIN/status/1168629751180910592?s=09

Not 100% sure about this at the moment, but someone with a connection to Sabi is saying that the SNK character is Terry. Honestly I'd be completely fine with this but let's just see how things pan out.
Yeah, I saw that, but then came Sabi's new tweet right after, so I'm confused.

Either way, Terry was part of my team in 2002 UM, so I'm happy either way, even if I wanted Kyo more.

I just wonder if his content would be limited to Fatal Fury...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I just wonder if his content would be limited to Fatal Fury...
I hope not since KoF has a ton of music that could be added. If we were able to get P3 and P4 content with Joker's release I'm certain we'll at least get some KoF content with Terry's release.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I hope not since KoF has a ton of music that could be added. If we were able to get P3 and P4 content with Joker's release I'm certain we'll at least get some KoF content with Terry's release.
True, but in this case they are technically two different franchises, unlike Persona... here's hoping though.

I have to say... I have no idea what to think right now. Between the SNK leaks and Sabi saying that speculation will "turn on its head" and that "people will assume the last character based on fighter #4" (who seems to be Terry)... I'm confused. Hopefully there is an announcement for a Direct soon...

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I like Terry but would be a huge disappointment if the DLC character is him and not Kyo, even more if it's really a KOF collab - really, Smash Bros always picks the main character first, why do it different with King of Fighters? And it would be a big wasted chance if it's a Fatal Fury collab instead.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I like Terry but would be a huge disappointment if the DLC character is him and not Kyo, even more if it's really a KOF collab - really, Smash Bros always picks the main character first, why do it different with King of Fighters? And it would be a big wasted chance if it's a Fatal Fury collab instead.
I mean, I can't really call it a huge disappointment personally. It's still SNK in Smash, after all. But I agree that Kyo would serve this occasion better imo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77982719

Things are still being debated but at this point I'm like 90% sure the character is Terry. Still incredibly hyped for him though I'm praying we at least get some KoF content whether it be music or some mii costumes.
Dunno how SNK will be when giving rights... if they're like Capcom, then that's great, because we're bound to get some good content.

Slightly disappointed that it isn't Kyo... but still very much hyped!

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408

Sakurai always likes to go with the most popular option (reason why Mega Man is based around his MM2 version), and people say that 98 is (one of) the best KOF. Most of the music in that game is awesome, too.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

My best bet would either be 98’ and XIV, considering 98 is arguably the most popular KOF game and XIV is the recent one. I could see them both if Sakurai does a similar thing with Joker and has either appear when you win with either Classic Kyo or XIV Kyo.

Another extra detail I would like Sakurai to add would be to have the announcer clip from 98 and XIV say winner during Kyo’s Victory Screen.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So to lighten up the mood before the inevitable SNK reveal, I'll share something with this thread that I've only found recently:

The hilariously awful KoF movie.

It includes actors such as Ray Park (Darth Maul) as Rugal and David Leitch (director of the John Wick movies) as Terry.

Some highlights include:
  • Mai dating Iori.
  • Rugal using a machine gun to shoot people at a museum.
  • Saisyu waking up in a hospital bed after hearing Iori's name, then dying after attacking Iori while still in his bed.
  • Rugal having a hockey match with Mature and Vice.
  • Bluetooth headsets being used to travel to alternate dimensions.
It's up there as one of the worst videogame movies, especially since it barely follows the plot of the games.

Last edited:

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
if I had to be honest terry may be the possible snk rep we could get besides kyo but there is one problem is terry
he has already made a guest appearance in something already (fighting ex layer) while kyo hasn't made a guest appearance yet
so if I had to think I think kyo will be the rep while terry ends up being a legend spirit or something
plus I could totally expect kof content
despite him being the face of snk kyo is problably more suited to smash purely from his franchise being the biggest part of snk
but I wouldn't mind if this rep does turn out to be terry or kyo as they are literally cool characters

music wise if its terry then they could add these songs:

fatal fury 3- big shot
fatal fury special- soy sauce for geese
fatal fury 3- its geese
fatal fury 3 - kissed by geese
fatal fury 3- c62 shirokuni
kof 94- italian team theme
fatal fury special- kurikinton
fatal fury 3- kiss me
kof 97- c62
kof 97- blue mary clues
real bout fatal fury- seoul road
fatal fury special- seoul road
real bout fatal fury special- C62 shirokuni ver 2
kof xiv- fatal fury team theme
fatal fury special- flame dragon special
kof xi: street dancer
kof xi: big shot
kof xiii: wild street
garou mark of the wolves: spread the wings
garou mark of the wolves: sunrise on the train
garou mark of the wolves: all over with blood
garou mark of the wolves: matchless mask man

if its kyo then they could add these songs:
kof 94: esaka
kof 95: funky esaka
kof 95: arashi no saxophone
kof 96 esaka
kof 96: rumbling in the city
kof 96: arashi no saxophone 2
kof 96: fairy
kof 97: esaka forever
kof 97: cool jam
kof 97: bloody
kof 99: tears
kof 99: sadistic eyes
kof 99: kd 0079
kof 2000: goodbye esaka
kof 2000: stormy scream
kof 2000: kd 0084
kof 2000: inner shade
kof 2003: splendid evil
kof 2003: cool jam 2
kof 2003: fairy 2003
kof 2003: blaze
kof 2003: im hot for you
kof 2003: inside skinny
kof xi: new order
kof xi: joker
kof xi: queen
kof xi: kdd 0075
kof xi: after a long absence
kof xiii: esaka continues
kof xiii: stormy saxophone 5
kof xiii: each promise
kof xiii: the second joker
kof xiii: goodbye esaka
kof xiii: arashi no saxophone 2
kof xiv: follow me
kof xiv: venator ballare
kof xiv: full burst
kof xiv: yappari esaka
kof xiv: saxophone under the moon
kof xiv: new order

as you can see there are loads of songs they could choose them
heck Nintendo could add even more songs for kof than castlevania which had a total of 34 tracks
so basically I think regardless of who it is between kyo or terry I think there could be more than 40 maybe even 50 tracks
more than castlevania

D

Deleted member

All those talk about songs and I'm still skeptical if SNK will be super-generous as hell (looking at you Square Enix)

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
All those talk about songs and I'm still skeptical if SNK will be super-generous as hell (looking at you Square Enix)
well Lesley black velet if snk can allow their characters into other properties from other companies
weeeeeeellllllll of course they're going to be generous they are not square enix
i mean if they are fine with having their characters show up in other properties like tekken or dead or alive
well im convinced they are going to be generous they are definetly not stingy not like square enix

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well guys, tomorrow is the Direct so this will finally be it. While Terry is the most obvious pick, Kyo does have a few advantages including:
  • King of Fighters still going on whereas the last Fatal Fury game was Garou in 1999.
  • Terry already appearing in Fighting EX Layer. There's a chance SNK wouldn't want him to be in another recent crossover due to redundancy.
  • Vergeben and other leakers getting a few details wrong in the past (like Luminary being the main DQ Hero instead of Erdrick).
I'm still expecting the character to be Terry though whether it's him, Kyo, or another SNK character I'll be completely satisfied. That said though, a part of me is slightly hoping that it's Kyo since I'm more eager for KoF content in Smash.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well maybe tomorrow we will leave doubts (Since no DLC character could be shown for smash)

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
you know sari I totally 100% agree with that but I might as well list some reasons why i think kyo will be this snk rep:

1. the king of fighters is literally snk's biggest property and well i can see snk representing their biggest and well known series like konami with castlevania or capcom with street fighter
2. we literally have kof xv releasing next year so kyo could be added to promote the upcoming 2020 installment
3. adding him to smash could also promote a switch port of kof xiv like how hero was added to promote a switch port for dq11 s
4. we just had the kof 25th anniversary just a week ago so kyo could be added as a way of celebrating the 25th anniversary of the series
5. hes the only most important character to not have a guest appearance yet while terry (still possible) has already appeared in something
6. if the next trailer ends up being a continuation of the ken/incineroar trailer then it fits kyo to a tee as ken, incineroar and kyo all have something in common, all 3 use fire in their movesets ken uses fire in most of the moves, incineroar is literally a fire type pokemon and kyo's moveset is mostly based on fire so why have 2 fire users in the first trailer when a 3rd could show up in the continuation trailer that could be neat and would the perfect setting for kyo's trailer as its in a boxing ring and the kof tournaments are often shown on tv and what not so its perfect

infact speaking about the boxing ring you know how each character has their own title that can be seen on the background of the punch out stage well kyo's title could be 'the master of flame' since in svc chaos in the kyo vs akuma intro dialogue akuma refers to kyo as the 'master of flame'

also this might be a bit out of nowhere but for some reason both kyo and terry have the potential to receive an echo fighter

like for example kyo kusanagi could have iori yagami as an echo fighter
while terry could have rock howard as his echo fighter

kyo and iori have similar movesets so I think it wouldn't be that hard to make same goes for terry and rock they both have similar moves so like kyo and iori it wouldn't take be hard to do

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
I forgot to mention this but in smash ultimate we have squad strike a new game mode that's essentially a kof inspired mode as it has a 3 on 3 variation where you pick 3 members and you can even pick the order of your team just like in king of fighters

plus sakurai in an interview with sourcegaming revealed that he loved playing fighting game as a kid and even used to be op at kof 95 and heck he even said that smash bros was influenced by kof (I think he said that)

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
actually I do have a few ideas for kyo if hes the one
starting with his classic mode route:

have kyo each round go against a team of 3 opponents in a squad strike variation as a reference to the 3 on 3 mechanic from king of fighters
then maybe end it with a 1 v 1 boss fight with a completely brand new boss being orochi from kof 97 and you would have to fight him at the orochi tower the place where you would fight orochi in the original kof 97 game

next his trailer: of course it would have to be a continuation of ken/incineroars trailer so heres my storyline to it:

it will start off right after ken is launched to the billboard and incineroar is celebrating with the crowd going wild and ken will fall from the billboard onto the floor looking all beaten up bruises everywhere then after that Ryu shows up to see ken lying on the looking all beaten up but still conscious but with his eyes closed and runs up to him then after that he looks at incineroar and Ryu says 'hey you' then incineroar turns around looking surprised to see Ryu standing next to a beaten ken and says 'if you wanna fight I'll take you on' after that incineroar has this cocky smirk on his face and invites him into the ring while Ryu clenches and squeezes his fist and proceeds to walk to the ring then jumps in then after that the crowd starts going wild as both Ryu and incineroar get into a fighting stance before proceeding to taunt each other before they decide to dash at each other beginning the fight.

it then cuts to ken waking up while you hear Ryu and incineroar fighting each other in the background while he tries to get up but failing to do so due to his injuries a man of some kind walks past ken while ken is rubbing his eyes. after doing so he see's a man he doesn't seem to recognize. he can tell its a person but his vision is a bit blurry so he couldn't see him properly but he can make out a black jacket and black gloves. this man stares into the ring where Ryu and incineroar are currently at. while he does that ken says to the man 'hey' after noticing someone shout to him he turns around to see ken lying on the floor looking all bruised and proceeds to say ' hey uhhh you're not thinking of jumping into the ring are you? then with his head back to ken and now facing the ring again replies in a Japanese voice ' it looks like fun why would I not do that' then ken replies with ' well you best watch your guard then' the man now looking at ken with his back to him nods at him before clenching what seems to be gloves on his hands before starting to run towards the ring with ken saying ' you're going to need it and so badly too' then it cuts back to the ring with Ryu and incineroar dealing some hard blows to each other before they both fly back a few meters from each other and are about to rush at each other again before the man from a bit ago jumps into the ring landing in-between the two. the man then looks at incineroar while Ryu looks surprised saying 'what the?' before the man proceeds to do what seems to be a serpent wave and launches it at incineroar sending him flying across the stage Ryu still looking surprised but then a second later gets into a recomposed state then it cuts to the man as a few shots of him occurs before he turns around to look at Ryu and says again in a Japanese voice 'I hope you're ready because I'm about to burn you' and then a splash card appears revealing the man to in-fact be kyo kusanagi which says 'kyo burns into battle' before cutting back to Ryu who then replies with ' alright then show me the power of your resolve' before proceeding to nod and then rush at each other with the crowd going wild in hype and then the trailer cuts into some gameplay bits the usual and that is it for my kyo trailer storyline

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
https://twitter.com/NanaKarobiNIN/status/1168629751180910592?s=09

Not 100% sure about this at the moment, but someone with a connection to Sabi is saying that the SNK character is Terry. Honestly I'd be completely fine with this but let's just see how things pan out.
I am anxiously waiting for 6pm. My mind is racing... asking questions... wondering whether there will be a 4th DLC character reveal or not... and if there is, who could it be... and if it is a SNK character, who did Sakurai pick... Terry Bogard or Nakoruru or Kyo Kusanagi or even a King of Fighters team...

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I'm normally a lurker here, but I had an interesting thought. EVO this year was full of leaks for most of the companies involved (Street Fighter V Season 3, ArcSys's Blazblue and new Guilty Gear announcements, Haohmaru in Soulcalibur, etc.). What if SNK, Sakurai & co. were paying attention to the leaking culture during this time period, and somehow found a way to prevent these leakers from getting info for the 4th fighter pass character by convincing them that Terry was in Smash. Maybe Sakurai got some pointers from Harada, and other people involved in the FGC, since an SNK rep would be someone that would appeal to them. I know it's not very realistic, seeing as everyone is jumping in on the Bogard hype/salt, but I would have this satisfying feeling if this was the case and we got Kyo instead.

D

Deleted member

The day the leak was found, I had the idea of checking out a free demo of KoF XIV for PS4 to see how the games felt for me and what could Terry bring for his moveset.

From the matches I played, I really enjoyed what I saw in both regards. I may likely pick KoF XV when it comes out and Terry has a lot of stuff to differ from other fighters present in the roster.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Hoping to see this as the reveal trailer if it's Kyo, it would be prefect. I might cry, even.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
1 hour until the Direct...

This is most likely it folks. Assuming we get fighter #4 news, today will decide whether we'll see Kyo in Smash. I don't see them double-dipping on SNK content, so if an SNK character gets revealed that isn't Kyo then it's pretty much over for him. I'm completely down for any SNK character in Smash whether it be Terry, Nakoruru, Haohmaru, or Mai, though I'm still holding out hope for our favorite Japan fighter.

I'm expecting it to be Terry but... I can't shake off this weird feeling I've been having that it could be Kyo... we'll just have to wait and see...

Regardless of which SNK character gets in, I will be very satisfied. SNK getting into Smash was always a pipe-dream for me so to see it finally happen is already worth it. Assuming we get SNK content from multiple games, we are pretty much guaranteed to get a Kyo mii costume or spirit for whatever that is worth. If we're really lucky we could even get some KoF songs.

Oh and worst case scenario in that we don't get an SNK character at all for this entire pass, I'm still proud that so many people have been paying attention to SNK and their characters in these past few days. It's been an honor posting here and regardless of whatever happens everyone is free to use this thread as a KoF social to get hyped and talk about KoF XV.

See you all on the other side of the Direct.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
"I suppose I'll get my chance... another day..."

1567635476354.png

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, slightly disappointed with Kyo, but that trailer was amazing, holy ****. AND TERRY LOOKS SO GOOD, I feel like I can't complain, really.

Sakurai really loves every DLC he's putting in and their legacy, the trailers make it really obvious.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
That trailer baited me so many times. At least they had a nod to the KOF 94 intro. Extremely happy about Terry's inclusion.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda relieve that it's Smash Bros X Fatal Fury and not Smash Bros X King of Fighters, so Kyo isn't losing his invitation to a secondary character lol

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm kinda relieve that it's Smash Bros X Fatal Fury and not Smash Bros X King of Fighters, so Kyo isn't losing his invitation to a secondary character lol
I mean, secondary only as far as KoF is concerned, but I get the point.

Terry vs Kyo was basically "Company Mascot" vs "Biggest Series' Mascot". So really, there was no right way to do it, objectively speaking. It's like Ryu and Mega Man.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I mean, secondary only as far as KoF is concerned, but I get the point.

Terry vs Kyo was basically "Company Mascot" vs "Biggest Series' Mascot". So really, there was no right way to do it, objectively speaking. It's like Ryu and Mega Man.
That's what I mean, Terry is secondary in KOF, but he is also Mr. SNK, I guess, so I'm cool with it.

That trailer baited me so many times. At least they had a nod to the KOF 94 intro. Extremely happy about Terry's inclusion.
My heart stopped for a moment thinking Kyo got Chrom'd, but then they showed everyone else missing the envelop, so I was ok lol

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Terry being in Smash is a dream come true. That trailer was amazing but yeah Kyo definitely got Chrom'd. With more DLC coming up his chances aren't as dead as I originally thought, though he's gonna have a mountain of competition.

In the Banjo showcase they showed a bit of Terry footage and his stage is a KoF arena (I'm surprised it wasn't his train stage). Characters will also show up as Ryo was showed in the background. I'm expecting Kyo will probably be there as well and if he is he's pretty much done for.

Top Bottom