• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

D

Deleted member

Any chance I could be added to that support list? Never played King of Fighters before, heck, my experience with games from SNK in general is practically non-existant. But I am interested in King of Fighters and have heard some pretty good things about Kyo as a character. So I'm willing to support the idea of him being playable in Smash.

H0L0CENE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5048-8462-1228
I remember playing KoF XI at the arcade when I was a kid. Sign me up as a supporter!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So I just had the craziest epiphany after seeing this tweet.

A while back before Ultimate released, Sakurai praised Persona 5 for having one of the greatest user interfaces in gaming. As a result, Ultimate's UI seems to be slightly inspired by Persona 5's (specifically with how stylized it is and the animations it does upon clicking something).

That got me thinking: since Sakurai played a lot of KoF 95 back in the day, I wonder if he implemented some features from the KoF games into the Smash Bros games. Some specific things that both KoF and Smash have in common include spot dodging, roll dodging, short hops, running (not common in fighters), and squad strike being a 3v3 KoF styled elimination mode. I know the general arena-styled gameplay of Smash can be traced back to The Outfoxies but its just something cool to think about.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
SAMURAI SHODOWN IS ONE OF THE FEATURED GAMES AT EVO!

SNK IS BACK IN BUSINESS!

This also helps to show that SNK is trying to get their brand name spread out more.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I support. I find it tough to choose between him and Terry, but Kyo definitely has more clout nowadays.

Also, considering how dash attacks aren’t grab moves, I was thinking about his dash attack being the R.E.D. Kick. Just my opinion.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking likely the same idea since Ryu in Smash4
and I once thought "Kyo is finally confirmed!" when I saw the ring in Ken and Incineroar's trailer...

4/14
Thank you for signing me up as a supporter, and here is my opinion:

1. An classic & popular SNK fighting game character since late 20th century, without doubt

2.Had been in games where Ryu was also in several times:
SNK vs Capcom: The Match of The Millenium (1999)
Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight (2000)
SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos (2003)
and even Puzzle & Dragons...

3.Not only with Capcom, SNK had comfirmed KOF collaboration in several smartphone game too
such as: Metal Slug Defense, Crash Fever, and Puzzle & Dragons...

4.The Invitation Letter appearing in trailer since Smash4
We saw Villanger got his Invitation Letter, and then Joker later
If you ask me "What is the most famous invitation letter in game world?"
my answer is "The one in the opening movie of KOF 94"

It's seems not that hard to make SNK put Kyo in Smash, compared to 10 years ago?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
https://www.dualshockers.com/snk-new-neogeo-metal-slug-king-fighters-xv-unreal-engine/

So in the midst of the Joker hype there has been a ton of SNK news the in past 24 hours:
  • SNK is working on developing a Neo Geo 2 AND a Neo Geo 3 system, both of which will be successors to the original Neo Geo. The decision was made after the Neo Geo Mini sold extremely well.
  • A new Metal Slug is being worked on.
  • KoF XV will be releasing in 2020 and will be on Unreal Engine as opposed to the in-house engine used for KoF XIV (probably for the better).
  • Despite not even being released yet, Samurai Shodown is already profitable as it has gotten an overwhelming amount of preorders.
  • SNK Heroines has now sold over 300,000 copies. That may not sound like a lot but considering the game's budget it should be alright for SNK.
Things are looking really good for SNK. Here's hoping they continue their upward trend.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The Switch is coming to China!

https://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-will-be-sold-in-china-for-the-first-1834145421

Considering how King of Fighters is insanely popular in China, this is amazing news!

https://youtu.be/THocP-CdmSk

Is this a Gurren Lagann reference?
It probably is. SNK is known for basing their characters off of anime characters, such as Blue Mary being based off Android 18 from Dragon Ball and K9999 being a carbon copy of Tetsuo from Akira.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
My moveset prediction: (with Japanese names of these moves in original series)
(If some move are not mentioned, it means I think same as what Sari thought)

side:GCA:: 99 Shiki

up :GCA:: 5 Shiki

side up:GCA:: Todorokiono Yo-u ? (not pretty sure how it called...)

side down :GCA:: 88 Shiki

note:The ↘or↗ attacks could be Kyo's unique system (like Cloud has his Limit gauge, and Joker has his Persona gauge...)

dash:GCA:: 101 Shiki or 77 Shiki

That's a hard one to choose from, but I prefer 77 Shiki more

side smash :GCA:: ??? Yo-u

I'm surprised that Sari did't mention this one at all...

aerial :GCA:: 48 Shiki

just like Ryu's aerial :GCA:

aerial up :GCA:: 75 Shiki

just like Lucario's aerial up :GCA:

aerial front:GCA:: 78 Shiki

aerial back:GCA:: Tobi ??? (aerial version of side smash)

down:GCB:: 90 Shiki

Not only being a attack, it's also a very unique counter.
There are 2 types of counter, depanding on the frame Kyo is hit

front throw: ??tetsu

back throw: Issetsu Seoi Nage

up throw: 210 Shiki

The EX version of this move in KOFXIII is actually not moving forward when using it, so I think it's reasonble

down throw: Hiuchi tsuchi

This is originally his father, Saishu Kusanagi's move

dodge: Kasumi (yep, even Kyo's dodging move has its name)

final smash:Mu Shiki & 524 Shiki

Both are strong enough to be a FS, but... I maybe want to see a combination of these 2 moves

shield broken:

stamina KOed or Ryu's Focus Attack-ed

taunt:

victory pose:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wonder who should act as Kyo's echo fighter?
If Kyo's based on 95 (which would probably happen since it's the KoF Sakurai said he played a lot), Iori.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
My moveset prediction: (with Japanese names of these moves in original series)
(If some move are not mentioned, it means I think same as what Sari thought)

side:GCA:: 99 Shiki

up :GCA:: 5 Shiki

side up:GCA:: Todorokiono Yo-u ? (not pretty sure how it called...)

side down :GCA:: 88 Shiki

note:The ↘or↗ attacks could be Kyo's unique system (like Cloud has his Limit gauge, and Joker has his Persona gauge...)

dash:GCA:: 101 Shiki or 77 Shiki

That's a hard one to choose from, but I prefer 77 Shiki more

side smash :GCA:: ??? Yo-u

I'm surprised that Sari did't mention this one at all...

aerial :GCA:: 48 Shiki

just like Ryu's aerial :GCA:

aerial up :GCA:: 75 Shiki

just like Lucario's aerial up :GCA:

aerial front:GCA:: 78 Shiki

aerial back:GCA:: Tobi ??? (aerial version of side smash)

down:GCB:: 90 Shiki

Not only being a attack, it's also a very unique counter.
There are 2 types of counter, depanding on the frame Kyo is hit

front throw: ??tetsu

back throw: Issetsu Seoi Nage

up throw: 210 Shiki

The EX version of this move in KOFXIII is actually not moving forward when using it, so I think it's reasonble

down throw: Hiuchi tsuchi

This is originally his father, Saishu Kusanagi's move

dodge: Kasumi (yep, even Kyo's dodging move has its name)

final smash:Mu Shiki & 524 Shiki

Both are strong enough to be a FS, but... I maybe want to see a combination of these 2 moves

shield broken:

stamina KOed or Ryu's Focus Attack-ed

taunt:

victory pose:
Reading your ideas for a potential moveset is really interesting because I had a waaaay different interpretation for his move set in many ways. If I get the time today, I'll post my ideas for a Kyo moveset as soon as I can.

Last edited:

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
Reading your ideas for a potential moveset is really interesting because I had a waaaay different interpretation for his move set in many ways. If I get the time today, I'll post my ideas for a Kyo moveset as soon as I can.
Sure, everyone has his opinion

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Somehow, I had completely forgotten I had actually posted a moveset for Kyo a while back, complete with gifs too!

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-488#post-21947759

At this point, there's plenty I'd like to change, but most of what is going to be in my revised moveset will remain in as is.
Nice! I especially like how you implemented Max Mode into his moveset. I'll add both yours and VicAdward VicAdward 's movesets to the OP.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Although I don't know Kyo very well. I support him! In my opinion I wouldn't be surpised if Bill Rizer, Arthur (Ghost and Goblins), Mr Hayabusa, and Jason (blaster master) all got in first.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
For anyone that has twitter: I've made a Kyo Kusanagi for Smash campaign account on twitter!

https://twitter.com/KyoSmash

Feel free to follow if you'd like! Also, feel free to throw any suggestions for posts I can make on the account my way.
Looks great! Getting the word out is definitely the best way for Kyo support to grow.

In regards to twitter posts you could talk about:
  • Sakurai's relation with KoF where he played 95 back in the day.
  • How flexible SNK has been with crossovers recently (Geese in Tekken, Mai in DoA, etc.) while also maybe mentioning that Kyo hasn't had his time to shine through a guest appearance yet.
  • How Kyo and Iori were almost cut from KoF 99 but added due to negative feedback on the decision.
  • The types of Kyo clones in the series, both figuratively (Shingo) and literally (Kyo 1 + 2, Kusanagi).
  • The changes in Kyo's movesets over the years.
Feel free to use anything I mentioned on the OP of this thread as well.

You should also include a link to this SmashBoards support page so people can read up on things like possible movesets as well as join the support group.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The King of Fighters crossovers continue with Kula officially being confirmed for Dead or Alive 6.

When there was talks of another KoF character being in DoA I honestly thought it was gonna be Angel. She seems like she'd fit in more easily with the DoA cast.

So far the SNK characters that have made guest appearances in recent years include:
  • Terry (EX Fighting Layer)
  • Geese (Tekken 7)
  • Mai (DoA 5)
  • Kula (DoA 6)
  • Iori (Million Arthur Arcana Blood)
I'm surprised Kyo hasn't made a guest appearance yet. Maybe they're saving him for a special occasion.

Last edited:

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
You know What I have an idea for what Kyo's reveal trailer would look look and it goes like this. It starts off with a black screen and then you start to hear a crowd chant as an envelope with an r symbol on it descends into view and continuously spins while you hear a crowd chanting but then the envelope stops spinning and the front of the envelope is shown with the r symbol on it. The sound goes quiet and all of the sudden the r symbol starts to change into something else as flames start spurting out of the seal as the symbol changes and all of a sudden it changes into the smash logo and then a hand is seen reaching from underneath the envelope as the envelope is burnt to shreds via a bright flame and then kyo kusanagi is seen waking up to the screen does his unique fight intro pose by lifting his hand into the air summoning his flames says "Ekase" and then quenches the flame with his hand and then the splash card appears which says "kyo kusanagi burns into battle"
Nice reveal trailer idea huh it's essentially a mockup of the kof 94 intro

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
In light of there being CGI trailers for Hero and Banjo, I had another idea of what Kyo's potential trailer could be.

Basically, the trailer opens with Ken and Ryu sitting on a train with some of the Smash characters nearby. Ryu pulls out a card in his hand that looks eerily similar to the Smash invitaion but has the distinct 'R' on it. The train comes to a halt, and Ryu, Ken and all the Smash characters nearby exit out of the train, revealing their stop being Esaka train station. Exiting the station, the group go down a flight of stairs and arrive at an underpass, where cars are banked up as the area is closed off. At some point, Ryu stops at nods at Ken, who steps back. Then out of nowhere, a small flame flies past him, re-enacting their CvS/2 intro. The screen zooms in on Kyo with the tagline "Kyo Kusanagi burns the competition" before the two charge at each other and goes into gameplay.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
infact speaking of those 2 recently revealed characters banjo and hero:
they're third party characters who are from new companies (well technically hero isn't seeing as he is from square enix's who already have a rep in smash) and seeing as we now have 3 characters from 3rd party companies and remember back at the game awards Reggie implied that 'we would see characters who are new to the series' like 3rd party reps or characters from unrepresented franchises/companies as he may have been implying. we do have 2 characters who are yet to be revealed but seeing as we now have joker from Altus's persona, hero from square enix's dragon quest and banjo from Rare's banjo kazooie series. characters who are from 3rd party companies and are from unrepresented franchises It wouldn't be that surprising if the last 2 characters are also from 3rd party companies making this a full 3rd party fighters pass. honestly at this point because of this I think the chances of an snk rep appearing in smash and kyo kusanagi's chances as of right now have just increased tenfold since snk has yet to receive a rep and because of banjo and hero it seems the rest of the fighters pass will include characters from 3rd party series and to add to that king of fighters ( a 3rd party series) is yet to be represented in smash so honestly kyo is now very likely at this point.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Both of those trailer ideas sound great. I actually had a trailer idea myself which would basically be a recreation of the KoF 95 intro, except the text would talk about joining a new fighting competition and the R letter would be replaced with a Smash one.

https://kofg.net/

So... SNK rather do a silly AVG, than let Kyo join Smash?
The mobile market is gigantic so SNK uses that to cash in whenever they can. I have legit lost count of the amount of mobile games there are. This one seems like a fan-servicey one in the vein of SNK Heroines but for women. I guess certain people are into that type of stuff but I still can't get over the fact that Bao (a 12 year old) is one of the romance options.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
So... SNK rather do a silly AVG, than let Kyo join Smash?
don't forget he still hasn't made a guest appearance as of yet and there's the fact that the kof 25th anniversary is not too far from now so maybe kyo could be announced at the kof 25th anniversary event I mean banjo and hero were announced in Nintendo directs while joker wasn't announced in a Nintendo direct but at the game awards which was at an event so maybe the next dlc character will not get announced in an Nintendo direct but at an event like kyo at the kof 25th anniversary event and well about that event its in august. and the thing is august would be the perfect month to announce a character I mean sure we got at least 2 characters revealed at the e3 direct just a few days ago but maybe it wouldn't be wrong if we got another character reveal 2 months from now in august. infact speaking of release dates hero is releasing in summer and banjo is releasing in fall but we don't have a character releasing in winter yet so here's what I think. I think we will have a character announcement in august who will have a release date of winter 2019 like November for example and then the final character gets announced before 2019 ends in December and releases in early 2020. but that's just what I think for now still pretty hyped that banjo is in

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
well the reason why I do think he could be announced at the 25th anniversary event is because it could be one of the ways of promoting kyo's inclusion. i'll explain for example he could be included in smash as a way of celebrating the 25th anniversary of the kof series or he could be included to promote the upcoming kof 15 game or something like the switch port of kof xiv like hero from dragon quest being added in to promote the upcoming dq11 s definitive edition switch port. him being announced at evo could make sense seeing as kof has made a bunch of appearances at evo throughout the years but I feel like him being announced at the 25th anniversary event would make a bit more sense as him being announced for smash on the same day kof is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the series could be the perfect way to promote his inclusion. but that is just my theory on it

dezeray112

Smash Hero
well the reason why I do think he could be announced at the 25th anniversary event is because it could be one of the ways of promoting kyo's inclusion. i'll explain for example he could be included in smash as a way of celebrating the 25th anniversary of the kof series or he could be included to promote the upcoming kof 15 game or something like the switch port of kof xiv like hero from dragon quest being added in to promote the upcoming dq11 s definitive edition switch port. him being announced at evo could make sense seeing as kof has made a bunch of appearances at evo throughout the years but I feel like him being announced at the 25th anniversary event would make a bit more sense as him being announced for smash on the same day kof is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the series could be the perfect way to promote his inclusion. but that is just my theory on it
What date is the 25th anniversary event on?

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
that would be august 25th since that was when the first kof game got released that being kof 94

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So, idk if anyone's heard, but apparently there was a Japanese tweet that got all of the DLC characters right so far...

And has suggested that a female fighting game character is one of the next DLC characters.

I said this in the newcomer thread, but if the character is from SNK, I'm PRAYING that it's not Mai. She's been given plenty of crossover love from SNK so far, other characters deserve the spotlight imo.

Literally, any female character would do, as long as it's not Mai.

Top Bottom