• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Dreamland gets buffed! The King Dedede main discussion thread

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Really hoping he's better than in SSB4.

I'd also kill to have his southern drawl...

NMResonance

Smash Rookie
I hope Zaki sticks with the King in Ultimate. This set at Hyrule Saga makes me excited to see what he could do with a buffed Dedede.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Two thoughts when it comes to Ultimate's Dedede. I wish they would bring back his Dair and replace his 8th costume, the checkerboard one, with one based on Shadow Dedede from Triple Deluxe.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Two thoughts when it comes to Ultimate's Dedede. I wish they would bring back his Dair and replace his 8th costume, the checkerboard one, with one based on Shadow Dedede from Triple Deluxe.
Personally I'm just hoping for more costumes in general. Wario had more than 8 in Brawl, but in 4 they removed some of them, which is kinda dumb.
I do really miss the purple and green colors from Brawl, the current ones seem a lot more generic, since the color schemes are a lot more uniform (as in, the purple color is all purple, instead of purple with a green sash like in Brawl).
It's a nitpick, that's for sure.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh hell no you are not taking away my Actual Penguin Dedede costume

Smooth Criminal

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
A little surprised no one brought this up but doesn't look like you D-Tilt backwards now?

He's facing right while crouching, yet he moves to the left.
Is this another "covering your back" change similar to Roy and Mac's Neutral-B...

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
A little surprised no one brought this up but doesn't look like you D-Tilt backwards now?

He's facing right while crouching, yet he moves to the left.
Is this another "covering your back" change similar to Roy and Mac's Neutral-B...

Wonder how you do this? Hold down to crouch (or taunt in Dededes case), then hold in the direction you want to use your dTilt?

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Could also just be his crouch always faces the camera now.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Could also have be a result of general new changes to the game's mechanics. I need to get a better idea on the how this game works, as far as we can know just yet anyway. We'll obviously have a much better idea on the game's mechanics after it releases.

It looks like a convenient trick move in the video, but could be something most characters can pull off in some manner.

If it's not something like that, though, then I'm also gonna go with it likely being that his crouch simply faces forward all the time now. :p

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
So, there hasn't been any footage of Dedede's Dair yet, has there? There might still be hope for the return of his Brawl Dair?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hey all, your friendly neighborhood Smooth Criminal here! Just wanted to pop in and let ya'll know that there's a new King around these parts---yours truly! I'll be helping run the Dedede boards (and conversely, the rest of Dreamland) from here on out.

I'll be in absentia for a spell (on my honeymoon), but I want all of you to give me your thoughts on what we can do to enrich this subforum and make it a valuable resource for the King of Dreamland, his players, and anyone else interested in the character! You are explicitly permitted to post any ideas or thoughts you have to this end here in this thread. After I come back from my leave, I'm gonna start moving and shaking some stuff around here, and I want some ideas on how to do that.

Looking forward to the future!

Smooth Criminal

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The new attack isn't DDD's F-air, it's his B-air. He keeps the normal F-air animation but with less lag. B-air has been improved to be faster and consistant with the hitbox. DDD now has fairly usseful approaching tools and a seemingly decent neutral game, so I'm going to decide that maybe he's somewhere in the B range.

PF9

Smash Lord
My main headcanon for Dedede in Smash is that he is the same incarnation as the Kirby anime (more malevolent than in the games).

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1036903640496304128

According to the tweets and Pic of the day on the website, dedede has something called "Float"?
is it only his ability to use multijumps or will a new mechanic be given to him that relates to float?

2 things I kinda want to happen if its possible.

1. Being able to float similiar to peach by holding the jump button (either with decending down slowly or more freely like in the kirby games).
would be nice if you could cancle it and attack while doing it.

2. Inhale "nothing" and press jump to float around in similar matter like from the attack in kirby games?

xDrippyx

Smash Rookie

According to the tweets and Pic of the day on the website, dedede has something called "Float"?
is it only his ability to use multijumps or will a new mechanic be given to him that relates to float?

1. Being able to float similiar to peach by holding the jump button (either with decending down slowly or more freely like in the kirby games).

2. Inhale "nothing" and press jump to float around in similar matter like from the attack in kirby games?

It's kinda hard to tell if they are referring to a new mechanic or if they just simply gave a name to multi-jumps. But don't you think a brand new mechanic would have been shown off by now and not just teased in one tweet?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416

It's not a new mechanic, it's just a reference to how Dedede learned to suck up air and fly like Kirby does after his defeat in the first Kirby game.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
It's not a new mechanic, it's just a reference to how Dedede learned to suck up air and fly like Kirby does after his defeat in the first Kirby game.
could most likely be, still hope for some new interesting mechanic (like Dedede able to spit out projectiles)
It's kinda hard to tell if they are referring to a new mechanic or if they just simply gave a name to multi-jumps. But don't you think a brand new mechanic would have been shown off by now and not just teased in one tweet?
maybe added in later though? like how Links DAir to spike was added later in development (shown in PotD) and same with Ikes Blue Flame.
most likely falling to just the reference but we truly never know until its official

xDrippyx

Smash Rookie
could most likely be, still hope for some new interesting mechanic (like Dedede able to spit out projectiles)

maybe added in later though? like how Links DAir to spike was added later in development (shown in PotD) and same with Ikes Blue Flame.
most likely falling to just the reference but we truly never know until its official
Haha, we both know how unlikely this is. But here's to being hopeful. :ultkingdedede:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I wonder if they changed the gordo RNG.
If gordo is over 50% stick then he's probably much, much higher tier.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I wonder if they changed the gordo RNG.
If gordo is over 50% stick then he's probably much, much higher tier.
I feel he'd need more, in Sm4sh he also faced the issue that it would not 2 frame sometimes or that they could DI in, making it very inconsistent overall. If they fixed the former then I could definitely seem quite some improvement even if through somewhat of a "gimmick". What I would like to see the most is making it so Tilted Gordos stick and Smashed Gordos don't, or vice versa.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I think if he had a new mechanic they would have explained or showed it already.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As long as the great king's considerably more viable than he was in Smash 4, I'll be all set.

The overall issue I had with him is that he was a lot more sluggish in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Many of his aerials were altered, not just with their effects, but many were also given more start-up lag (admittedly his Brawl F-air sucked, but at least it had less starting lag) and had to be landed more precisely to work. It did him more harm than good as a fighter, imo.

He's got other issues that need fixing besides his aerials, but the overall problem I had with him his sluggishness, and I consider the changes to his aerials a standout example of that. All of this hasn't been enough to stop me from co-maining him with Mewtwo, but I still really want to see him get fixed up nicely for Ultimate.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Genuinely excited, the video is right, whether or not he's 'good', regardless of where he lands on the tierlist, he's now a complete character. Moves are no longer just blatantly useless, there's no longer a big hole in the gameplan.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
If Dedede’s hurtbox wasn’t so big, he’d even be more of a better character.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We should all probably head over to the social and begin matchup discussions. People are already sleeping on Dedede despite all of the footage that he's been heavily buffed.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Ah, **** boys we got semi-nerfed.
I'm not a Dedede main, but I really loved the Gordo setups in smash4 that Triple-D mains did.
RIP Smash4 Gordo

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ah, **** boys we got semi-nerfed.
I'm not a Dedede main, but I really loved the Gordo setups in smash4 that Triple-D mains did.
RIP Smash4 Gordo
It's not a super major issue. Gordo trig was super situational and only worked with parts of the cast, not to mention you had to be pretty lucky for your opponent to walk into it to work. I'll take the Gordo buffs we got: better hitbox, travels faster and he can spit them out, even when he's in control.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Here's a tip. Never use King Dedede's fair. It's terrible on shield and it sometimes feels like it isn't even safe on hit.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Here's a tip. Never use King Dedede's fair. It's terrible on shield and it sometimes feels like it isn't even safe on hit.
Kills near the blast zone and works as a wall of pain moves. Combos out of down throw to gain stage control. It's a fine move.

ArchineerLock

Smash Rookie
What is everyone feeling about his new Inhale? I have found it quite useful for catching people off guard with a much more direct gordo.

Top Bottom