• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Dreamland gets buffed! The King Dedede main discussion thread

NMResonance

Smash Rookie
Also noticed what looks like a new Fair at 0:06. Someone on Reddit did some frame counting and found the landing lag on it (landing to onset of U-tilt) is 13 frames, vs. 30 frames for his old Smash 4 Fair. It's a promising start; the real burning question I have is what the Gordo reflection threshold is. If it's something like 16% that requires a serious commitment from the opponent to reflect, then Gordos are suddenly a lot more useful in neutral.

It would be pretty depressing if Mario can just chuck a fireball at them like in Smash 4.

Edit: Just saw a Gordo getting reflecting by Doc's Final Smash in his 20 second video. If they're like Smash 4, the pills in that move do 3%. Well, so much for that. Maybe we can hope for a patch...

The King's new Final Smash is pretty awesome though. It's great to finally see Masked Dedede in action in a Smash game.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Haven't been happy with a lot of Ultimates movesets, but DDD's looks great. I love that you can inhale the gordo after

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
here is a thing I was thinking about.

since Dedede is able to inhale and Spit out gordos, will he be able to do the same with other projectiles?
like I would love if he could inhale Samus Charge Shot and let him spit it out like a Psudeo Villager Pocket
this would make Dededes Inhale having a good difference than Kirbys Inhale

also, will he be able to inhale reflected gordos? the one thats in the trailer wasnt reflected, it was hit: making Dedede still the owner and not able to attack it back with it. if thats the case, he can hit the gordo BEFORE the opponent reflects it back!

think about it! if what I said is true, you could do:
Upangle Gordo into BAir/FAir to send the gordo further
UpAngle Gordo into Inhale to surprise with the faster Gordo

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Why ain't noone here talking about the king??

I'll start then.

This looks like a new fAir for him. It seems to cancel when he lands. It'd be nice not having to turn around to bAir all the time.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Because Brawl Dedede isn't back.
The only good thing I've seen is that slightly they fixed the mistake they made of making all his Waddle tosses Gordos by allowing him to inhale and spit them out. If he can't do this for every projectile, missed opportunity. Ultimately, I'd rather them bring back the three types of tosses so that throwing Gordos is actually worth it again.

Also, bring back my purple costume, as is.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
HIS FINAL SMASH HAS BEEN CHANGED TO MASKED DEDEDE

FINALLY!

You have no idea how happy that makes me. I've been wanting that for so long.

Now I'm just hoping he's able to perform considerably better than in Smash 4. Looking good so far in that regard.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
https://twitter.com/BlazerKirby/status/1007733885122371586

kirby confirmed to inhale projectile: able to swallow for heal and spit out as a star!
Dedede will get the same treatment. but the question remains
will the projectile be "Star" or not, since the Gordo in his fighter video didnt make it into a star

basically, will the projectile and inhale be a psudeo pocket or just a Star spit like kirby!

on one hand, always having the projectile as a star would help with characters like yoshi and others with less powerful projectile to deal more constistant damage
while psudeo pocket would make Samus and any other heavy projectile user more fun and devastating

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

I'll start then.

This looks like a new fAir for him. It seems to cancel when he lands. It'd be nice not having to turn around to bAir all the time.
That looks like bair to me. In fact as others have pointed out, it actually could be the same bair but the animation matches the actual hitbox now.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
https://twitter.com/BlazerKirby/status/1007733885122371586

kirby confirmed to inhale projectile: able to swallow for heal and spit out as a star!
Dedede will get the same treatment. but the question remains
will the projectile be "Star" or not, since the Gordo in his fighter video didnt make it into a star

basically, will the projectile and inhale be a psudeo pocket or just a Star spit like kirby!

on one hand, always having the projectile as a star would help with characters like yoshi and others with less powerful projectile to deal more constistant damage
while psudeo pocket would make Samus and any other heavy projectile user more fun and devastating
Well there goes one of kirby's biggest weaknesses

Headbenzi

Smash Rookie
Our beloved King has already some of his moves shown, such as:

Extracted from the orginal Smash Ultimate reveal. Watch the whole sequence here https://youtu.be/L93H7YC-83o?t=19m43s

Ftitl + Dash Atk - Ftitl a little bit faster on start up??

DTitl + Jab - Dtilt seems faster with reduced endlag - Jab same

Fair - Its the same animation as in smash4

UpB - Still insanely good vertical recovery

Extracted from the King DDD Smash Ultimate show case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikxqlRPN64

No Gifs this time.

00:04 - Side B (The GORDO) - Reduced end lag???

00:05 - Neutral B (inhale) - New mechanic absorbing only the gordos or it applys to all projectiles?

00:07 - Bair - New animation Really low landing lag strange knock back angle (361 Sakurai angle?)

00:08 - Uptilt - Less startup? Combos into Dthrow? ( I don't think so)

00:09 - DThrow - Same as smash 4 Combos in early percents

00:15 - Fsmash - The same old hard read disrespect overkill

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Our beloved King has already some of his moves shown, such as:

Extracted from the orginal Smash Ultimate reveal. Watch the whole sequence here https://youtu.be/L93H7YC-83o?t=19m43s

Ftitl + Dash Atk - Ftitl a little bit faster on start up??

DTitl + Jab - Dtilt seems faster with reduced endlag - Jab same

Fair - Its the same animation as in smash4

UpB - Still insanely good vertical recovery

Extracted from the King DDD Smash Ultimate show case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikxqlRPN64

No Gifs this time.

00:04 - Side B (The GORDO) - Reduced end lag???

00:05 - Neutral B (inhale) - New mechanic absorbing only the gordos or it applys to all projectiles?

00:07 - Bair - New animation Really low landing lag strange knock back angle (361 Sakurai angle?)

00:08 - Uptilt - Less startup? Combos into Dthrow? ( I don't think so)

00:09 - DThrow - Same as smash 4 Combos in early percents

00:15 - Fsmash - The same old hard read disrespect overkill
fsmash looks a lot faster good lord, same with neutral B
that new bair is just flat out stupid good luck punishing that

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
If that horizontal swipe really is the Bair that would be rad. The SSB4 Bair while powerful was far too laggy (especially when landing) and unsafe.
As a Dedede secondary I hope all these changes will heavily buff the King.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
how is that his BAir? all I can see in both strukture and frame by frame, it should be his new FAir.

if it was his BAir, he would have spun his body to get his body in front(like how Marths BAir does). but no, he starts already with his body forward and his torso angled ready for swipe.
he would have landed and faced to the left, having to turn around to make the UTilt but he went straight to UTilt without any problem

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
how is that his BAir? all I can see in both strukture and frame by frame, it should be his new FAir.

if it was his BAir, he would have spun his body to get his body in front(like how Marths BAir does). but no, he starts already with his body forward and his torso angled ready for swipe.
he would have landed and faced to the left, having to turn around to make the UTilt but he went straight to UTilt without any problem
https://j.gifs.com/N9rAp6.gif
shut up

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

It's def his bair.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Huzzah! Gone is one of Dedede's most tedious moves! It was especially jarring since it replaced his absolutely flawless Bair from Brawl, and I kept using it reflexively ^^'. Hope the new one will come closer to the Brawl.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I think it's actually just the same bair from smash 4 but the animation now correctly matches the hitbox.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Sorry to burst your bubble but I think it's actually just the same bair from smash 4 but the animation now correctly matches the hitbox.
Isn't the ending lag much shorter? Besides the difference between animation and hitbox was godawful. Even if it's animation is the only change and now matches the hitbox, it is already very profitable to me.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Isn't the ending lag much shorter? Besides the difference between animation and hitbox was godawful. Even if it's animation is the only change and now matches the hitbox, it is already very profitable to me.
Pretty much everything in ultimate so far got reduced landing lag, so yes.,

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm inclined to agree with the notion that it's f-air, but at the same time, I don't wanna spur a senseless debate. It's hard to tell conclusively from such little footage.

And I wouldn't even mind if the normals in D3's old kit returned, just fix the damn hitboxes on them, for the love of Dreamland. I can't tell you how many times I swung with Smash 4 b-air and, rather than hit somebody with the flat of the hammer, I had to hit them with the inside of the swing. His jab flat out didn't work, either.

Edit: Also, MERPIS, dial back a bit there, friendo. You say some characters are meant to be bad, fam...? I present to you our own character as exhibit A in Smash 4.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The joke levels are stronk here, but like

Brawl D3 was straight up dumb. I personally don't want to see a return to that kinda polarizing stuff that invalidates something like a third of the cast (and completely shutting down five of them with an infinite).

Edit: WaddleKing WaddleKing

Well I'll be dipped in garlic butter. It is a b-air. Thanks for that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
The joke levels are stronk here, but like

Brawl D3 was straight up dumb. I personally don't want to see a return to that kinda polarizing stuff that invalidates something like a third of the cast (and completely shutting down five of them with an infinite).

Smooth Criminal
There's 3 things I want in life
1: a top 10 to top 15 villager again
2: a good wario
3: dedede's back air foot

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since I don't want to derail this thread any further with the Zelda talk, I'll just mention how good it is to see Dedede have a better Final Smash.

Top Bottom