• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Baron - Cecil Harvey for Smash Ultimate

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Cecil.jpg

Who is Cecil?

Cecil is the main character in Final Fantasy IV and the father of Ceodore, the main character of the game's sequel, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. Cecil was a dark knight and the captain of the Red Wings, the airship force of the kingdom of Baron. He was always loyal to the king, but when the king orders him to steal the 4 crystals, Cecil starts to question the king and loses his position. He is then sent on a quest with his friend Kain to deliver a mysterious package to the village of Mist...

How would Cecil fight?

At first glance, Cecil may be dismissed as "another anime swordsman". However, he can do much more than just use a sword.

In Dissidia Final Fantasy, a spinoff fighting game, Cecil can switch between Dark Knight and Paladin forms. The Dark Knight form is stronger on the ground and uses slow but powerful attacks while the Paladin form is stronger in the air and uses quick multi-hitting moves with less range.

I think this could be implemented in Smash too with his class change being his down special. It would be different from Pokémon Trainer in that his transformation would only change the attributes of his attacks, but his moveset would be the same. Also, for cosmetic flair, his Dark Knight form would have darkness effects on his attacks while his Paladin form would have magic effects. Depending on your preference, you could use only one of the two forms or change between them when needed.

Movesets

This is specials only because I'm not very creative.

Neutral Special: Darkness/Holy

If Cecil is a Dark Knight, he points his sword forward and shoots an orb of darkness. If he is a Paladin, he shoots multiple smaller orbs of light.

Side Special: Leaping Strike

Cecil leaps forward. If he makes contack with an oponnent, he either delivers one powerful blow (Dark Knight) or a series of quick slashes (Paladin)

Up Special: Rising Swing

Cecil charges darkness/light around him and then propels upwards while swinging his sword. This can be angled left or right and the darkness/light deals a little damage.

Down Special: Class Change

Switches between Dark Knight and Paladin.

Final Smash: Odin's Blessing

Odin appears on the background, like Palutena does in Pit's Brawl Final Smash. Cecil then traps anyone in front of him with darkness/light magic, points his sword up, charges power and delivers a single blow that instantly KOs anyone caught in it.

Supporters:

Peridorito
AustarusIV
fogbadge
Pizza Robo
SEGAGameBoy
Oddball
KirbyWorshipper2456

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
FFIV was my first Final Fantasy. While I’ve come to prefer certain other titles in the series, I’ll always hold a particular soft spot for the adventures of Cecil and friends.

Consider me a supporter!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting World of Final Fantasy for my PS4. I support!

Oddball

Smash Lord
This topic may be long dead, but I still support the guy.

Cecil's actually one of my favorite FF heroes and FF4 (2 back when I played it) is probabably my favorite FF game. While 6 tends to get the reputation for being the legendary SNES title, let's not forget that, let's not forget that 4 was the game that brought Final Fantasy back into the limelight.

I can see Cecil switching back and forth between Paladin and Dark Knight for special moves.

As for a stage, he's got tons to choose from. The Moon, the Redwings Airship, Mt. Ordeals, the crystal chambers. Any one of those could make a great stage.
My only issue with bringing Cecil in is that SQUARE keeps pushing a Cecil that looks like this.

When everyone that grew up with the game knows Cecil looks like this...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This topic may be long dead, but I still support the guy.

Cecil's actually one of my favorite FF heroes and FF4 (2 back when I played it) is probabably my favorite FF game. While 6 tends to get the reputation for being the legendary SNES title, let's not forget that, let's not forget that 4 was the game that brought Final Fantasy back into the limelight.

I can see Cecil switching back and forth between Paladin and Dark Knight for special moves.

As for a stage, he's got tons to choose from. The Moon, the Redwings Airship, Mt. Ordeals, the crystal chambers. Any one of those could make a great stage.
My only issue with bringing Cecil in is that SQUARE keeps pushing a Cecil that looks like this.

When everyone that grew up with the game knows Cecil looks like this...
well to be fair the former is based on the artwork of the character so you can see why the see why they view it as his canon look

Oddball

Smash Lord
well to be fair the former is based on the artwork of the character so you can see why the see why they view it as his canon look
I don't know if it was true on Final Fantasy 4 or not, but I've read that on FF6 the "official art" was actually created after the sprites were designed.

Regardless, I've always just preferred the sprite look for Cecil. It gives him more of a classic knight feel and isn't anywhere near as busy of a design.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it was true on Final Fantasy 4 or not, but I've read that on FF6 the "official art" was actually created after the sprites were designed.

Regardless, I've always just preferred the sprite look for Cecil. It gives him more of a classic knight feel and isn't anywhere near as busy of a design.
Well, his menu Sprite also shows him with long hair, so I think it's meant to be his "Canon" look. But it would be cool to have an alt with spiky hair.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well the artwork was always the first call when giving him a 3d look so you can see why id think that

Oddball

Smash Lord
For a stage, I think there's a number of good ones we could use.

I think using one of the crystal rooms from the game would best represent the series... or maybe something on the moon.

A battle on top of a Red Wings airship or at the peak of Mount Ordeals could also work really well.

for Spirit battles....

Kain: Link (likes to use downwar air attacks)

Rydia: Rosalina and Luma

Rosa: Palutena (healing items frequently appear)

Cid: King Dedede

Tellah: Robin (magic attacks do extra damage)

Porom and Palom: Girl Robin and Boy Robin

Yang: Captain Falcon

Edward: Jigglypuff (likes to avoid conflict)

Edge: Sheik with a sword

The Four Fiends: Squirtle, Incineroar, Daisy, Kirby (likes to turn into rock)

Golbez: Cecil with enhanced stats

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I think using one of the crystal rooms from the game would best represent the series... or maybe something on the moon.

A battle on top of a Red Wings airship or at the peak of Mount Ordeals could also work really well.

for Spirit battles....

perhaps ganondorf would be better suited to golbez?

Sure, but they stopped rereleasing their games, for some reason. Even Crystal Chronicles is getting one over them in this console gen.
thats true, at least theyre still in all the cross overs

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman

for Spirit battles....

I agree with most of these, but I think Palom and Porom should be Ice Climbers, and Yang should be Ryu or Ken.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I agree with most of these, but I think Palom and Porom should be Ice Climbers, and Yang should be Ryu or Ken.
Ice Climbers work for Porom and Palom.

The reason I didn't got with Ken or Ryu for Yang is because Yang's most infamous move is his kick, which is a lot more similar to Captain Falcon than anything Ken or Ryu do.

Top Bottom