• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King is here! Commitment thread

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Former brawl power ranked Falco checking in to let this board know I will be giving the most highly anticipated addition to the Smash roster of all time a real shot as my main.

I know you guys and gals are just as pumped as me over this reveal. This is the first time in smash since 64 that i am making a claim to a main before the game drops.

Cant wait!

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I intend on dual maining K Rool alongside my old main, ROB. Throw in the Brawl Main (Ice Climbers) for 3v3 squad strike.

D

Deleted member

I plan on maiming him, I promised I would and, with Mario, and Link he is my third main, no doubt!

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Gonna main the giant reptilian monster leader trio. Bowser, K Rool, and Ridley. My arsenal is looking mighty!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I haven’t agonized over my favorite Nintendo villain being added to Smash for literally 11 long years to not main the **** out of him. And Sakurai made him look absolutely spectacular to boot.

The idea of going to locals as a “K. Rool main” makes me ****ing giddy to think about.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Since I'm worried Bowser might be crap without his throw followups, I'll likely be maining Keith here.

Possibly Bowser, Ridley, and KKR.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Gonna Main him, with Ryu and Simon as secondaries

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Alongside my normal Ganondorf, I will certainly be gaining K. Rool as I have wanted him for so long that I just have to.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Yea! I knew my fellow lovers of evil would appreciate this thread. When the time comes we can all dig in and take The King of krewl as far as he can go in this game. Its going to be a wild ride.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I am going to main King K. Rool so hard. My other favorite character in all of gaming, Charizard, is my main in Project M, Smash 4, and Pokkén Tournament. However, I am very disappointed that he's tied to Squirtle and Ivysaur again. King K. Rool, on the other hand, has been my most wanted character by far. I love the DKC games, his unhinged personality is excellent, and I love how more threatening his plans get. I told everyone at tournaments I went to that I will main K. Rool if he's added, and I am estatic to catch him up with my Charizard from prior games.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Competitive Smash has always mildly interested me, to the ends that I might finally try to attend some local Ultimate tournaments if time allows. That said, I've always chosen to main the characters I like the most, regardless of placement or playstyle (I kiiiiind of went back on that for Megaman in Smash 4, since I initially didn't like how he felt at all, but I warmed up to his playstyle and odd quirks eventually.).

For Brawl, I liked how Lucario looked, even before I played a gen 4 Pokémon game almost a decade later. Martial Arts Jackal was an awesome concept to me, kind of like an eight year old that, at eight, thinks it would be awesome to be named Lionstorm Firefist. So, I picked up Lucario.

By smash 4, I had played and thoroughly enjoyed Punch Out!! (for the Wii). I grew to appreciate the simplicity of the game, as well as the characters, and the comedic premise of a tiny boxer beating up 8 foot goliaths, like an underdog story taken to the extremes. So, in love with his modern design and silly but endearing concept, when Little Mac was announced for Smash 4, I had to pick him up, even when I soon learned I had to commit to learning a playstyle quite far removed from the way you typically play Smash for most other characters. That said, I'm VERY excited at how dangerous Mac is looking in Ultimate.

Now for the moment anyone who has the patience to read my dribble has been waiting for: Let's talk King K. Rool.

K. Rool is the villain of one of the first games I played. My memory fades of this time, but I'll recollect a decade of fuzzy memories to best paint this picture. I was ten, and my first introduction to video games were from my dads old SNES console collection that we still have to this day. I started on Super Mario World, and later Pokémon Silver, using a Super Gameboy. To this day, I have not beaten Bowser in SMW. I did beat Red in Silver though. My team comp was terrible from what I remember. I had a Machoke with Seismic Toss. I had a Machoke and a Weepinbell because I couldn't trade the former, and I never learned how to evolve the latter. The rest of the games my dad owned were games like Sim City, or Arcade Game collections, or games too complicated for me to beat, like Jurassic Park.

One day, we were walking through a store. I fail to remember what store but my mind wants to tell me it was a hardware store. As we walked, I saw it. An SNES cartridge with weird characters and an art style completely strange and wonderful to my then virgin eyes. It depicted a weird yeti man holding bananas, and a tiny monkey riding a rhino, and giant bees, and a weird blue thing. It was on a pedestal, locked behind a glass barrier. Why an SNES cartridge would be at a hardware store, I don't know, so maybe it wasn't a hardware store, but nevertheless a hardware store is what I remember. I hardly remember the price. Maybe it was cheap, maybe it was expensive. It was on a pedestal after all. That doesn't matter. All that matters is that I had to have this game. I told dad that I had to have it. And so he bought it, and we both spent the next few months playing what I would later learn was Donkey Kong Country 1.

We played the game, my dad being older and much better at video games than I, moving through it while I struggled on world 2. I still liked to watch him play though. I watched him in mesmeration and awe as he gradually surpassed the mines and the caves, as he reached the beautiful forest levels, the tree top villages and ice world, the factory. As it happened, he eventually beat Necky's revenge. That had to be the end. There was no where left on the island to go. So he beat Necky's lame pallet swap (Which to 10 year old me was the coolest thing ever), and we watched Donkey Kong move on to the now added to the map pirate ship. We both watch the screen confused. A bonus world, huh? Bring it on. But no, not a world, but a pirate ship level. Nay, not a level, but a flat plane decored with wood and rope (a still beautiful set piece that holds up to this day, may I add.), where an obese crocodile wearing a cape, crown, and a golden belly falls from the sky. The game didn't come with its' original box, nor it's instruction manual, so I had no idea who this guy was. I watched my dad try to beat this croc for many days. I witnessed the fake Kredits, I saw him conquer K. Rool, and I knew that I had to beat this baddie too.

Skip ahead a few years. The internet is alive and kicking, I'm probably somewhere between 12 to 14, playing flash games and going to good Christian websites and definitely not doing things good wholesome boys shouldn't be doing. Well, somehow it happened that I was informed that my favorite game of all time had a sequel. Again, I knew what had to be done. My then allowance went straight to Ebay to ship me DKC2. I played it religiously until I faced my old nemesis again in a fight much more grueling and diabolical than the first one. Many screams of anger were had and many tears were shed. Many game overs were seen. But I prevailed and beat this croc again.

The years would pass and I would learn my virtual nemesis' name to be King K. Rool, then Kaptain K. Rool, later K. Roolenstein (Who I still haven't beat; I need to beat the level Lightning Look-out first. Grrrr), and finally King Krusha from the title I am still yet to play. I came to love the croc's animations, his look, his cruel nature, his physics defying attacks. the Donkey Kong Country series is probably one of the main reasons why I want to be a game developer right now, a goal I am currently working on achieving. So, if it bears repeating, I have a history with this crocodilian crook.

Smash 4 rolled onto the scene and I joined Smashboards. I learned of character speculation threads and championed for my favorite villain to join the game (I came to play brawl years prior, so Smash was hardly a foreign concept to me.). I waited, I was let down, I prayed DLC would bring the croc home. I was disappointed again.

Skip to now where, this December, I finally get to play as the croc partially responsible for my most vivid childhood memories.

You bet your sweet patootie that I am maining K. Rool in this game, the next Smash game, and every Smash Game for the rest of my living years. I'll play him along side Lucario and Mac, and other characters who will invariably tickle my fancy, but he'll always be my main from here on out. He could be Z tier and I'm still going to champion this croc.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I will be maining K. Rool alongside Yoshi... my top 2 are finally together..

Hopefully I'll have lots to share as I'll be steaming Smash most of the time.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Glad to see all the commitments. Since we have had a plethora of new information released do we have anyone with second thoughts or are we all still down with the King of Krewl rule

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see all the commitments. Since we have had a plethora of new information released do we have anyone with second thoughts or are we all still down with the King of Krewl rule
He looks better the more we see of him. His Smashes seem super versatile, especially with the pile-driver combo, so yeah, I may even get competitive with him.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Depends on how fun Piranha Plant is.
But until then, I'll probably stick to K. Rool, just on principle of liking reptiles.

Though, knowing several characters seems useful for Squad Strike, so maybe I'll just dedicate to a few.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
K. Rool remains to be my main. His kit just seems to be tons of fun to Play around with.

As for squad Strike, a Team of K Rool, Ken, Game n Watch, Simon and Lucas is my lineup so far

Punkish

Smash Rookie
While he likely won't be my only main (My only wish outta the DLC for 4 was Wolf's return), I'm absolutely claiming him as being one of my top characters to use. His kit looks like a blast to use, and I've always had a soft spot for the big guy.

StormC

Smash Hero
I was already committed to maining him the moment "KING K. ROOL COMES ABOARD" flashed on the screen, but everything I've seen only cements it to me. I am going to do everything I can to unlock him quickly. That recovery is legitimately insane, especially on a super heavy.

One month never felt so long.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The more footage of him I watch, the more convinced I am that he might be the first truly viable heavyweight.

Time will tell, but it's time to take my previously fervent devotion to solo maining Bowser and instead focus on KRool.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
The more footage of him I watch, the more convinced I am that he might be the first truly viable heavyweight.

Time will tell, but it's time to take my previously fervent devotion to solo maining Bowser and instead focus on KRool.
Seems like heavyweights in general look promising. The speed buff every character got only helps heavies after all, but I know how you mean. K. Rool's unique kit might give him more viability over other heavies, although gameplay of Incineroar in probably insufficient to make that call definitely atm.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
He looks like the best heavyweight. That’s why I’m playing him. I’m really loving his Up-Smash the most from some reason.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
100% maining the King. At worst, he's one of multiple. Captain Falcon and Diddy Kong were my mains in Melee and Brawl respectively, and then both of them in Smash 4,, so ideally I'll be balancing those two plus K. Rool. There's always a chance some other character wins me over but those are probably going to be my top three.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm doubling down on what I said earlier; I want to make it clear that I'm 100% maining King K. Rool only. There are so many great characters in this game, but I've waited for such a long time for the kremling king to be added to Smash, and his moveset looks like everything I wanted it to be and more. I am very excited to go to tournaments like Genesis 6 and EVO 2019, and represent King K. Rool at them. It would be great to meet up with fellow kremling kutthroats at tournaments throughout the next year and beyond, can't wait to celebrate his grand return with everyone!

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Competitive or not, I have made it my mission to main King K. Rool. He is #1 in my tier list of the characters to play in the game, and I have waited for a long time for him to not only be added to Super Smash Bros, but to return in the spotlight. Now that he is back, I cannot wait to smite my enemies with the king's royal arsenal.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
First tournament in my region will be happening on the 8th of Dec. Hoping one of the Bestbuy demos will pop up locally so I can have a bit of practice beforehand (other than just launch day, I mean).

Kulty

Smash Ace
I plan to co-main:ultkrool:alongside:ultmario:. King K Rool might be the second character after Mario to have character and playstyle loyalty for me. I`ll secondary:ultshulk:along with the two for fundamentals and warm-up, and also bc I love the Monado Boy. :)

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I have had King K. Rool as my main since the game first released, and have stuck with him since.

I have stuck with him through thick and thin, and since the recent buff, the patience for him to get competitively better is starting to pay off.

There are other characters I like using from time to time such as Mewtwo and Meta Knight, but King K. Rool will always be my main guy for this game.

Top Bottom