• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King Dedede Video Guide - Mindsets, Normals, Combos and Gordos, oh my

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hey all. I am SUPER EXCITED to FINALLY share this :4dedede: project with you! There's a ridiculous amount of hand-recorded clips, colored charts, second-by-second breakdowns, and of dozens of fun tools...just be glad it's not one crazy long video. Hopefully you'll at least enjoy these/find something new/laugh. FEEDBACK PLZ

Even if you hate Dedede, if do nothing else watch Part 1! Only posting links to save space.

Part 1: BREAKING THEM - https://youtu.be/EnqJZdIjGsk
Part 2: Moves, Threat Ranges, and...Stuff - https://youtu.be/x6U_IYIVB4Q
Part 3: Followups and Resets - https://youtu.be/Fb_CxEabDXc
Part 4: Specials (except Gordo) - https://youtu.be/H6gAx0ALre0
Part 4.1: SUCKING (Inhale) - https://youtu.be/ShFyMsS7UJw
Part 5: GORDO - https://youtu.be/aKfVScvNyWM
Part 5.1: Sticking It (bonus Gordo tech) - https://youtu.be/7DIU5mCt4j0

All feedback and thoughts are appreciated! Thanks for watching / reading.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Beautiful!

Simply beautiful!

Definitely something I think newcomers to Dedede and even some veterans should watch.
It really nails the philosophy of Gordo, especially.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I'm liking it so far...

Dedede really is Thor, Popeye, The Fonz, and King Henry VIII in penguin form, isn't he?

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
Great guide so far. Funny how I've been using traps but didn't know what to call them until now.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Great Guide Bruddah. Gave me a lot of ideas.
My personal favorite is the "Follow-ups and Resets" portion. Especially interesting is the stage sticking portion. It seems that it only sticks as it contacts two points on the stage. In the video it definitely intersects at least 2 spikes, when sticking. Just like when it does more damage to an enemy by the same method. I'm glad someone figured out the general principles of sticking it though.

Po3T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Axel1337
Though I don't main Dedede, I loved him in Brawl and (like you have stated) he is really fun to play with. The more I play with him, the more I just can't stop laughing when someone gets hammered lol

Aki

Smash Cadet
NNID
Im_Aki
3DS FC
1306-5844-3434
I really like your guide and I can see how much effort you put into it but I'd like to add 2 things that I might have just missed:
Inhale is a command grab if you're close enough to your opponent, while the wind part can be shielded.
And Jet Hammer is good at breaking shields when it's charged, adding to it's mindgaming.

Also I appreciate the extra Gordo part, especially the sticking thing.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I really like your guide and I can see how much effort you put into it but I'd like to add 2 things that I might have just missed:
Inhale is a command grab if you're close enough to your opponent, while the wind part can be shielded.
And Jet Hammer is good at breaking shields when it's charged, adding to it's mindgaming.

Also I appreciate the extra Gordo part, especially the sticking thing.
Thanks for watching, and for your comments! You're actually dead on with Inhale - of course the second I published the videos, I realized I'd forgotten stuff. Inhale in particular is an invaluable part of D3's mixups. I mention some of the onstage uses briefly in the Specials video, but not to this extent.

Maybe once my Wii U comes next week (!!) I'll make a high-res Extra video with everything that was left out ;) nice catch.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I haven't genuinely smiled and laughed so much at a guide like this ever. Actually, I don't think I've smiled and laughed at a video like this ever.

I'm so so happy to be a Dedede main right now and I'm only 3 minutes into the first part.

This is going to be perfect, and I thank you.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Any chance you could make a video about his special moves? I recently picked him up as my newest main (currently have five lol) entirely because custom moves are now legal at tournaments. I currently use his configurations 3322 and it would be cool to see all of his custom moves showcased in how they can be utilized well. Regardless, excellent work on this video series.

Last edited:

SmAshiok

IRL Twilight Princess
NNID
ashiok
Ah! Awesome. You know, I'm getting my own YouTube channel off the ground (still nailing out details to have it be public yet but) and one of the first things I thought of was to make a King Dedede guide, so it'll be awesome to have more than one available if I do follow through with it, as well as be able to compare the two to each other. Haven't watched them yet - about to sit down with my plate of food and dig into the goodness. :D

Kodidro

Smash Rookie
I'll be practicing all night tonight. Bravo on this, I'm so excited to learn

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Dedede was my second best in Brawl, but I didn't feel too comfortable with the rather steep change of feel in his move-set, so I've kind of just put him aside until yesterday... I randomly chose to play him in a friendly with my nephew, and seemed to do really well. Every match after that, I won, no matter which of his mains/secondaries he chose... It really helped to just be able to disconnect my previous style/knowledge of Dedede and play him as a new character.

Anyway, then I found your guides/concepts, and I have to say, the world of Smash would be an even better place if every character had a series of guides and in-depth strategies dedicated to them such as these. Quite honestly a work to be proud of! You even encouraged other players to explore options you may not have covered, which is oh so important for any character, otherwise there'd be no continued development in the meta. Keep up the great work!

Now I just have to figure out if I want to give up one of my secondaries for Dedede... Grrr...

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
This is an absolutely beautiful guide. I love Dedede but I've always struggled to get good with him. I will take these tips on board and try to improve my game! I admit to committing the cardinal sin of Gordo abuse on more than one occasion, so that's really the first thing I need to fix.

Lightning207

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow penguin mains!
I have a quick question about D3's crazy amount of jumps. Is there an effective way of using them for if you get knocked very far down? Because alot of times when im really far down, even with my Uspecial i cant get all the way back up. I know alot can depend on the person your fighting and/or the stage, but I want to ask if there is a more effective way than mashing jump. For optimal use obviously, or maybe im just bad at the game.

Top Bottom