• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Keef Crew - Super Smash Bros: Expectations Vs Reality

Payne Stewart said, "If you can't laugh at yourself, then how can you laugh at anybody else? I think people see the human side of you when you do that." The Keef Crew do just that in many of their videos to shed a humorous light on serious subjects in Smash. By far some of the most popular videos they have created are the Things Smash 4 Players Don't Say videos. This time they have a vlog on Expectations vs Reality. Warning: there's some strong language. Give it a watch!

Like the video? Be sure to subscribe to The Keef Crew on Youtube. Think some good things were said or is it all bunk? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future vlogs and videos.

Comments

I felt pretty down about my first tournament loss. Then I learned the guy that I fought was this "Tyrant" I heard people talking about. Oh.

But yeah, losing to random players shouldn't ever come off as frustrating unless you yourself are not a random. And even then, it's vain to think people in the crowd aren't coming up with the right strategy to take you on and actually succeed. Just because you don't recognize your opponent's tag doesn't mean they won't bring the biggest fight of of your bracket. Everybody starts as a nobody.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Recently, I have been losing to my brother who I usually beat all the time. When I continued losing to him, I got really salty and did start making excuses such as "Dedede is OP!," or "My character sucks!" I just wanted to quit Smash in general. But I haven't, because I realized that I need to learn how to take my losses and turn them into lessons for me to learn from.

I haven't been to a tournament yet due to a lack of a scene where I live, but if I ever get a chance, I hope to use it as an opportunity to learn and improve my Smash game.

If you can't take losing, you simply aren't cut for competition.

To be a competitive player, you need to learn how to take losses and figure out why you lost and improving yourself because of it. If you can't do that, don't bother competing

Last edited:
"If humble souls are contradicted, they remain calm; if they are calumniated, they suffer with patience; if they are little esteemed, neglected, or forgotten, they consider that their due; if they are weighed down with occupations, they perform them cheerfully." - St. Vincent de Paul.

Friends, it's important we have risibility.
To be able to laugh at ourselves means accepting the reality of our imperfections.
It means demolishing pride and self-esteem to find peace.

Last edited:
When I first saw the headline I thought it had to do with the last upcoming Smash broadcast, as in expecting certain characters to be added vs the reality that they probably won't or something.

Last edited:
Dude, spare me the hopeful message trash. Why would it be worth a player's time to show up, if they can't pull the best out of their character like the top players can? Because if they can't, all they're doing is just adding money to those players pockets by showing up at the tournament.

Being robbed of the experience to make friends? Lol. If you suck and you're only going to befriend mediocre players.

And idk anyone who's gotten smashboards front page for sucking. Did a Leo get front page for almost beating Mr. R? Na. Did That ryu player get an interview for putting up a good effort while losing vs ESAM? Na. Do you ever look at a player at the bottom of a state's power rankings and think "I'd love to be friends with him because he just tries hard?" Lol na.

You posting this up is like saying that we should be happy to scrounge up that consolation prize of " At least I got the exp and met people"

I rather take the better prize in the form of Cash, and power rankings. When you're taking those home, you already get the friends to boot.

Why would it be worth a player's time to show up, if they can't pull the best out of their character like the top players can?
Because in order to get to the level of play that the top level players are at, it takes a ton of time, practice, and experience. Which you get two out of the 3 at tournaments.
Being robbed of the experience to make friends? Lol. If you suck and you're only going to befriend mediocre players.
Also not true. Believe it or not, high level players are human beings; with emotions and the ability to befriend other people who share the same interests as them, like smash. Also, high level players can offer really good advice, since they are great at realizing their opponent's mistakes. I learned a ton myself, by playing high level players at my tournament scene.
You posting this up is like saying that we should be happy to scrounge up that consolation prize of " At least I got the exp and met people"
you've never been to a tournament have you? I've always had the most enjoyment offline in smash. Also, how else are you going to get experience? Playing for glory? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. I'm not a huge fan of anther's either, though I do play their to practice every once and a while.
I rather take the better prize in the form of Cash, and power rankings. When you're taking those home, you already get the friends to boot.
I feel like you're looking at this entirely black and white, either this player is garbage or he's extremely good. How exactly are these "Mediocre players" going to "Git Gud"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom