• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Journey of a Toon Link

Dapaulo99

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm Dapaulo99, a Mario main who's decided to expand his horizons and find some new characters to play as secondaries, and maybe develop into new mains. After taking a few days to choose some characters, Toon Link became an obvious choice, along with Diddy Kong and Sonic. I've only played Toon Link for about 3 days now, and because of the wide variety of attack styles he has, I've decided to set out on a quest to learn how to play him without any research online. This means that whenever I'm playing as him, I'll be attempting to create new techniques with him. Other than basic tech skill (and AGT from Diddy Kong), I have no idea about to play as Toon Link. This thread will be a log of my journey to uncover Toon Link as if he were a new character that had never been played before. Hopefully, I come up with some interesting techniques (and some that will probably be standard), that will help some players to improve and spice up their gameplay. I'll upload my first log tomorrow night, and see where this goes from there.
I hope you guys enjoy following my journey as I learn how to play and slay as Toon Link.

DAY 1
Today I began by experimenting in training mode with what I can assume are pretty basic Toon Link concepts. However, I soon discovered some pretty nifty tricks to share with you guys.

Training Mode Discoveries
  • Using up-b and going over a ledge can be used to snap onto the ledge
  • A bomb can be dropped by pressing z in the air slightly above the ground
  • Air dodging while holding an exploding bomb will prevent the bomb from harming you, but it can still harm the opponent
  • Throwing a bomb up and up-b-ing into it can allow for up-b to be used a second time
  • A bomb thrown up that falls down on top of Toon Link during up-b can be catapulted away from him
  • A grounded up-b can be used to push a set bomb
  • A bomb can be thrown at a returning boomerang and regained by air dodging into the bomb
  • Zair can be used to cancel an air dodge
  • The Zair tether can be used while holding a bomb if you air dodge and use the Zair to cancel the air dodge
  • A mid air bomb drop followed up by a properly spaced Zair can cause the bomb to be flung forward by the tether
  • After throwing a bomb upwards, jump up and air dodge into the bomb, pressing up on the c-stick immediatelyafter grabbing the bomb. You will perform an upwards AGT, throwing the bomb higher than it was previously able to reach

Versus Mode Discoveries
  • Performing a short hop bomb drop out of a dash dance can be used to harm an opponent that rushes towards you
  • Bombs can be thrown out of shield
  • Performing a short hop bomb drop out of shield can be used to harm opponents applying shield pressure
  • Bair can reach above Toon Link's head
That's all for day one guys! Hope some of you can benefit from the stuff I've figured out!

DAY 2
Didn't have too much time today due to the power being out while I got solar panels installed, but i got some stuff for you guys.

Training Mode Discoveries
  • Fair has hitboxes above Toon Link's head
  • Bombs last for up to 5 seconds (If I counted well)

Versus Mode Discoveries
  • Throwing a bomb upwards, then grabbing your opponent and up throwing them into the bomb seems pretty effective and leads into combos. This process can be done out of shield as well.
  • Down throw, up throw, Up smash, Uair, and b-up all seem to work into combos pretty well together.
  • Ledge drop while holding a bomb, then AGT both Toon Link and the bomb upwards, followed up by an up-b back to the ledge or the stage. This can be an effective way to deal with an edge guarding opponent
That's it for day two guys! Hope you all benefit from this in some way, sorry I couldn't bring you more, it was a long day today and I didn't have power for a while. See ya tomorrow!

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that I'm out of state until August 1st, so until then I can't play smash

Last edited:

Dapaulo99

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! So my log for day one is up! Tell me what you guys think and let me know any ideas you might have!

Last edited:
Top Bottom