• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jigglypuff Who Never Rests... Says Rest

Cornballer

Smash Apprentice
Ok, pretty much all of you know me.

I have half the stickies here, and I haven't been on here in forever. Anyway, pretty much, I've been gone for a while, not been very competitive, so naturally I've won a tournament as Jigglypuff and recently placed 4th in another (yesterday).

Pretty much, I realized why Jigglypuff wins. She's a wildcard. She can win. I use Falco, Marth, and Jigglypuff, and do pretty well representing all 3.

Anyway, to the point. Save rest, don't use it for a tournament so no one expects in then represent, make everyone fear it and then outspace them.

Pretty much, what happened in this tournament, is I was in pools fighting a Toon Link (I ended 7-1). I was up two stocks to 1 and he was at 70%, and air-dodged with a DI up and in trying to minimize the damage from bair spam offstage, when I didn't bair. I jumped into him and rested offstage. Everyone was pretty shocked and even people who were playing noticed this. It causes people to be a lot more cautious around me as puff and it helps open up opportunities. She's a wildcard, use her as such.

Anyway, I was playing a wolf later, semi-serious set (after I had placed fourth, we would have played but we both didn't do as well, he was expected to place and I should have likely won or gotten 3rd). Off the startup, he was countering some of my moves and truly limiting my opportunities. I forced him to modify his approaches by constantly avoiding his laser spam and punishing his smashes (she can punish F-smash and D-smash fairly effectively) but he was still winning. Eventually I got him right under a platform, faked a few approaches quickly and then rising naired through the platform into rest.

This opened the game up so he was constantly forced to space further and further, worried about the repercussions if he stopped all of my approaches if he messed up. This allowed me to do simpler and more effective strategies at punishing him. I got roughly 5 gimps in a 3 game set against him, because rest intimidated him.

Cornballer

Smash Apprentice
The only stickies that aren't veril's/discussion leader stuff by people who don't even play Jigglypuff. Lets just say I had malfunctions updating them. Now off this topic or this thread will be banned.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
i know who this issssss :D she is a wild card. You need good secondaries to do well with her. I'm so glad you are still using her. :) What do you think of my guide?

Tham

Smash Apprentice
i just use jiggs in tourneys in MUs i like to play with jiggs (just a few, but Kirby is one xD)

problem is, that im always so exited at tourneys and i think: rest or make it sure? and i dont rest and lose >.<
against many chars jiggs killpower is very limited, but rest, which u cant really abuse, kills imo always in the past 100% regions

this "i rest u when u make a mistake" feeling is quite usefull and i had it once in a tourney, was 1,5 years ago, my first brawl offline tournament and i had to fight germans former best player (reaper)
he played snake all time and i really used often dair
nowadays i think: much dair vs. snake?
but i did and the guy was really scared for the match and told to me after i lost: i thought all the time u rest me and i was totally confused
i lost anyway, but it wasnt as bad as other people lost

once u do a cool rest in a match (was at my last tourney) the opponent is like oO
i played vs. a DK, he had 3 stocks, i had 2 and many percentages ..
so i thought: just risk a rest
rested
killed
was happy
the DK was confused, i totally broke his gameplay and i really could do some small combos etc.
but i picked MK for the 2nd match cause i wanted to get a save win xD

dunno if my post makes any sense ... but i somehow wrote it

keep up using jiggs in tourneys C:

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
Use Onstage sing, the second they get hit by it they get to emberased to play good...

Veril

Frame Savant
you can and should use rest when they are at KO% if you have a real setup.

Those setups are: tripping autocanceled dair with a good read on DI, punishing spotdodges, punishing rolls (esp), punishing certain moves that you have Powershielded, interrupting continuous Jabs or anything that's a true interrupt really. Up-airing most players will bait an airdodge, if they do so its a free rest as well.

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
you can dash attack cancel into rest if you do it on pokemon stadium when the stages shifts... it will cancel the dacus should cancel and giving you the ability the rest right after it cancels... never tried it though but it would work... theoretically

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
how do you do boost pivot grab?
IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong), it's: c-stick down, Z, + hitting back on the control stick -- while running, of course. It should look like a regular pivot grab, but your character will slide farther than normal in the direction you were running.

Top Bottom