• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The item drop

ADHD

Smash Hero
This happens frequently as Peach, Diddy, or any character with items, really.

For some reason when someone is holding an item and is thrown or hit, the item drops onto the floor. Is this completely random? Does anyone know if it might be based off some form of consistency?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe they just didn't feel like holding the item anymore? :(

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, idk, Peach could just be dropping things because she's a woman. But Diddy's more complicated.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno, when somebody's punching me in the face, the last thing on my mind is holding onto a banana peel.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Well, idk, Peach could just be dropping things because she's a woman.
I would be so tempted to sig this if my sig weren't already amazing <3
This is something I wouldn't mind finding out because its very irritating when it happens. Oddly, this is the only time Turnips can touch the ground without disappearing (they just stay there)

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
This happens frequently as Peach, Diddy, or any character with items, really.

For some reason when someone is holding an item and is thrown or hit, the item drops onto the floor. Is this completely random? Does anyone know if it might be based off some form of consistency?
there's some group of posts in the depths of the Diddy general/social thread that talks about this, i think the tl;dr version is if you input L or R + A right when you're getting hit (i don't know the specific timing, like if it's right before, after, or during hitstun), you can drop a banana on hit. It's pretty hard to time, but Count and I were playing around with it at a tourney in February to try practicing getting out of Falco's CG.

if I was better at it I might not have been so booty vs. Hylian :I

edit: Thanks mjg

MJG

Smash Hero
Ya pretty much what Avarice said. I use the C stick though

I do this vs MKs tornado sometimes (with bombs obviously). Its pretty useful against a lot of moves.

EDIT: I just finished reading your post Avarice. Its not random actually. Your timing has to be on point though.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This could be pretty strategic if it's actually exploitable.

I already love it when people catch turnips. They lose their grabs, tilts, smashes for a crappy item throw. If it would be possible to leave a little "garden" lying around, that would be amazing stage control - since people's attacks would be replaced by an item pick-up! Kinda how Wario's fight around their bike.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I already love it when people catch turnips. They lose their grabs, tilts, smashes for a crappy item throw.
this.

I don't think many people realize how depleted their options are when they're holding an item.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I love it when MK's catch my turnips and get all high and mighty.

"Haha! I will use your projectile against you! I can glidetoss and everything!"

"Your an idiot and I now have a better moveset than you!"

Instant throw the crappy projectile people.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I love it when MK's catch my turnips and get all high and mighty.

"Haha! I will use your projectile against you! I can glidetoss and everything!"

"Your an idiot and I now have a better moveset than you!"

Instant throw the crappy projectile people.
Meta Knight then presses the B button.

GG, re?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
And then when said tornado ends, he tries to dsmash an approaching peach and instead throws a turnip downwards.

Peach grabs him.

GGs

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
If you can't understand the benefits of having MK limited to specials+turnip throw, well, I'm sorry.

Please enjoy the rest of the Tactical Discussion board.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I really believe it is random.
What we call broken dropping as diddy is just a dodge drop, which is **** hard to time because you have to buffer the airdodge and not the z drop.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Guys... can't MK just run away, throw the turnip from a distance, and then go back? It seems like you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be...

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
spelt is amazing

new favorite poster on swf

and im pretty sure item drop is random
Not sure if this is a compliment or an insult. Either way, though, the most accomplishing thing i've earned on here yet, so yay. :lick:

gallax

Smash Hero
this happens all the time when im using snake and holding a grenade. never really sure what happens cuz it falls sometimes when i get hit.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Probably partly percentage based or something. Like how TRIPPING is random, but can also be caused by players O.o...

I know getting hit while pulling out these items seems to cause you to always drop it though.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I think it might be controllable because in Melee Armada seems to do it on command when getting hit. At Apex he dropped a Bomb on HBox after getting hit with a u-air

Smash Master
Yall are talking about two different things. Forced drop is random. Optional drop requires skill.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Bob-ombs are different from other items as far as Brawl. Their hurtbox is active even if someone is holding it, so an attack making contact with the bomb while someone's holding it = boom.

Not sure about Melee, though.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
forced drop thru getting hit, idk what causes that. I thought the diddy kongs were researching this? does having high % have a higher forced drop rate?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Bob-ombs are different from other items as far as Brawl. Their hurtbox is active even if someone is holding it, so an attack making contact with the bomb while someone's holding it = boom.

Not sure about Melee, though.
Armada didn't get hit y the bomb. He dropped it

Top Bottom