• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-the Ironman Match-

g-regulate

Smash Hero

-IRONMAN RULES-
It's basically a crew battle except 1 on 1. (Credit to Overswarm for the initial idea. I've only tweaked it slightly.)

-Both players pick 5 characters each. They must all be DIFFERENT characters. Each character gets 3 stocks, so a total of 15. (I was thinking 4 stocks, but then people would just hog TV's and it would take too long.)
-Both players will secretly pick their opening character and must use them first upon the start of the match. Random neutral stage unless a stage is agreed upon. All legal counterpick levels are allowed. (-Dependant on whatever tourney you are at)
-When a player loses all of a character's stock, they will pick a new character from their list and counterpick stage. The winner keeps his remaining stock from the previous match, and must stay that character for the next match.
-This occurs until a player loses all remaining stock, and loses the match, shamed and humiliated for eternity.

The more diverse player is definitely favored in these matches, and strategy definitely comes into play. Do I see an Ironman tournament in the near future......................? Let me know what you think.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I have actually proposed an idea like this to settle close rankings in the Pa Power rankings.

Just because your main beats another guys main doesn't mean you're better. Hell, I main Luigi and have beaten guys better than me and lost to guys worse than me. I think a tournament like this would be interesting.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Similar to this is the tier money match, where you select one character from each tier to be part of your personal crew.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Anyone ever try a 4 player free for all Ironman match? (Four human players in a FFA, each picking 5 characters and using the rulesets above)

Its total chaos.

I bet team Ironman Matchs would be killer.

DippnDots

Feral Youth

Binx

Smash Master
I like the idea I think I'll try one of them tonight, cool. Thank you G-Reg, and I'll take that Ironman match with my IC, Marth, Fox, Ganon, Falco

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Wow! Finally I can be in a crew battle without being in a crew! Lmao get it? Cause I'm not in a crew but I've always wanted to do something like this.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
lol, ill definitely try it, escpecially on my friend whos only good character is falco, and i have like 5 mains ^_^ thanks g-regulate

Ness_STFU

Smash Apprentice
So, basically, 5 regular "serious" matches... amirite?

How... creative... *rolls eyes*

Anyway, Mega and I are smashing again. It'd be nice to get our butts whooped once in a while.

We're thinking about throwing a couple fests, then possibly a tournament too.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Closer to a crew battle with one person per crew, Ness... lrn2rd.

vZakat

Half Genie
I'm much more interested in the tier match AZ mentioned. I'm going to have to do one sometime. I'd go Falco/Marth/Samus/Roy/Zelda. Best team ever.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
dunno, my Fox/marth/Falcon/Pika or roy/Pichu might be slightly better...(but my bottom tier will be better than my low tier...) ('course, your low tier might be your best...)

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Yes, me and my crewmayes have done this befoe on multiple occasions, but were unaware that it was an actual style of playing, or that it was called an "Ironman".

It is good stuff, really fun.

Hmmm....we might play one later on.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
you're about half a year behind, g-reg.

We've been doin this down in GA for a while.

But since you're ****in g-regulate, everybody'll be like "OMG G-REG MADE A NEW GAME FOR US HE'S SO ****ING AWESOME CAUSE COMEON, HE'S ****IN G-REG."

and we're just down here like :(

.......... :(

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
People were talking about this on the FC thread a while back, so we did it after one of my tournaments and it was a relatively large hit. I guess people like the fact that they don't have to leave the fate of the crew match in another persons hands? Sure is fun though.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Omg G-reg Made A New Game For Us He's So ****ing Awesome Cause Comeon, He's ****in G-reg.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Alright, no offense to G-reg, but this has regressed to an "all-hail G-reg!" super-suckup fest.
The ironman is sweet, but its getting weird around this thread XD

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
good job on posting this greg. since it is you people might try it but i have seen many smashers post this up before. it is really fun though. my favorite thing though is when you are at home playing with your friends and you do random charas and see who gets through all 25 charas first in one on one matchs. if it is multi player matches then random all 25 charas and see who gets the most ko's.

Ness_STFU

Smash Apprentice
Closer to a crew battle with one person per crew, Ness... lrn2rd.
I teach English at Virginia Commonwealth University. I'd say my current reading comprehension is well over your lifelong potential for such.

G-reg, where are you? I need some of that sweet, sweet Falcon sexiness.

By the way, I saw your brother at Sam's house the other day, and talked some serious **** about you. Hope the word got to you.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
Massachusetts (well kinda) has just done this the past weekend.

With 8 people, 4 characters, 3 stocks each, 2 set ups, the tournament just takes too long, that alone was nearly 3-4 hours.

Was fun though.

Banks

Smash Hero
once the iron man movie comes out, you can make an intro movie to all ironman tournament match videos.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
My friends and I tried the iron man thing tournament style and the counterpicking rule seems to need some tuning. It works well now but the next stage choice can usually be predicted. My suggestion is to have the players ban a stage at the same time their first character choice is being made.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Me and my Crew did a Round Robin of these last Sunday, it was awesome. My friend is actually uploading the recordings soon on to google video (since the files are so big). My Falco/Peach/Ganon/Link/Zelda team went undefeated; most matches were close though. Yay me!

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Massachusetts (well kinda) has just done this the past weekend.

With 8 people, 4 characters, 3 stocks each, 2 set ups, the tournament just takes too long, that alone was nearly 3-4 hours.

Was fun though.
Did anyone get KDJ to his last character after I left? Or did everyone get stuck on Falco?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I teach English at Virginia Commonwealth University. I'd say my current reading comprehension is well over your lifelong potential for such.
That would be impressive if I actually knew anything about that University. I'll just take your word for it that being a professor of the English language automagically makes your level of sheer reading power worlds greater than the highest I'll ever achieve.

Grand Mango said:
Yeah, I think that's the biggest problem. Two setups is way too few to run a tournament. I don't see an Ironman match taking that much longer than a best of three 4-stock set.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Each Ironman match takes about 20 minutes, in my somewhat limited experience. That's quite a bit longer than a best of three set. Still, I'd love to see an Ironman tournament sometime, and with enough set-ups it would even be feasible.

Top Bottom