• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Innocent Magitek Knight Summons to Battle: Terra Branford for Smash Ultimate! Searching For Friends

Are you willing to join the Returners?

• Total voters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know why, call me an optimistic, but I have a feeling Terra has a shot. I know she isn't high in polls, but FF6 must have been one of the most popular FF game back then on the SNES and Terra represents the game and this era or RPG games.

Sakurai did mention her. We might get a surprise soon ;)
Yep it's not always all based on the ballots. But you have to figure, especially in japan, we don't know how many like FF enough to ask for more of their characters in smash. My guess is that Terra wouldn't be too far behind Cloud. Could be wrong, but I still think she has a chance either way. Not saying the chances are high, but I can dream.

Makes me wonder also how many people voted for Dragon Quest characters, cuz it's pretty big in japan.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I don't know why, call me an optimistic, but I have a feeling Terra has a shot. I know she isn't high in polls, but FF6 must have been one of the most popular FF game back then on the SNES and Terra represents the game and this era or RPG games.

Terra's support is actually more widespread than you'd think. On the Smash Ultimate forum for GameFAQs for example, she's the most demanded of potential new FF characters by far. Nintendo fans want a Nintendo FF protagonist.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76808717
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76755366
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76831218
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76646794
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76452135
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76403235

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's interesting that one of those has Celes in it and it got a good amount of votes compared to the others. Didn't think she would be, but then again .. FF6 was great.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice

It's actually one of the most popular games on the SNES. If you take off all of the Mario and DK games, then Final Fantasy 6 is the 3rd most popular.
1534436366747.png

Last edited:

SabreManectric

Smash Rookie
NNID
AntimonyHoundoom
Terra's my top pick! FF6 is my favorite RPG and possibly my favorite game ever. It's nice to see Cloud in the game, but he just seems very boring to me. Terra could have flashy and fun magic attacks. Since Sakurai really wants Geno in the game, hopefully Square also gives him the rights for Terra, but Black Mage would also be appreciated.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Thanks for links! Interesting reads. Terra should be in Smash. Also, she is a female protagonist, which we greatly need. If Terra gets in, i'm sure Celes has a shot as an echo. Both of them are central to FF6. Their attacks and skills are pretty similar. They would look awesome (plus we would get Terra and Celes amiibos which I would just die for hehe).

A stage for FF6 with music!!! I love the FF6 music.

I'm staying hopeful, for one thing, because it's fun, and also, because I do believe it. Her being in Dissadia helps a lot.

Geno and Terra in the same Nintendo Direct? Square Enix should push for this!!!!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking it'd be cool for Terra to have a floating dash animation like Cloud. To me it looked odd on Cloud for smash, but I think it'd match if Terra had it too. And She's a magic user so it makes more sense for her.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
After going through the FF subreddit and seeing people expect either Lightning or Noctis to be the next FF newcomer because they're "popular" or "relevant", it does my heart good to see Terra as the overwhelming fan favorite on GameFAQs, and for the reasons you mentioned.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
After going through the FF subreddit and seeing people expect either Lightning or Noctis to be the next FF newcomer because they're "popular" or "relevant", it does my heart good to see Terra as the overwhelming fan favorite on GameFAQs, and for the reasons you mentioned.

Lightning is slowly becoming irrelavent. Terra imo could rank 4th as the most popular ff protag. With cloud being 1, Squall in 2, and tidus in 3. But for thr most sensful? Terras number 1. Noctis is just a trend, honestly. I think Square wanted a new FFVII but XV has no legacy to overboard it. Once XVI comes out they'll try to push THAT like they did with Noctis and Lightning as Noctis would slowly fade into obscurity. THey're a corporate. They just want their newest franchises to get more recognision. Luckily, Smash isn't about corporate sellouts wanting to get their latest franchises out there. You need more than that. Yes, even Bayonetta has some legacy to her. Final Fantasy VI, X, and VII all have proved to be popular even 10 years later. FFXII and XIII were being pushed but low and behold, we all went back to X, VI, and VII. Unfortunately, this is Smash bros: Viewer's choice and Sora aside, people want edgy mc black clothes characters and Noctis is one of those. I could of sworn I thought scene kids died in 2009. I bet if Terra were to talk about how much she hates her life and how she is just a stupid copy of Celes while wearing all black, hair over her left eye, blood on her clothes, and her clothes being all black I'm sure people would vote for her as much as they did with Cloud (in Smash 4), Shadow, Dark Samus, Sephiroth, and Simon (With how much I love castlevania he's still freaking edgy)

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
^Exactly. Noctis is just the newest thing and his popularity will surely fade away when FFXVI comes out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Some characters stand the test of time, and some are just current. Nintendo does both. I mean we got Simon which isn't current at all. So it just comes down to will the trend continue for the next batch? Maybe a mix of the two, some new characters and some older ones.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Count me in as a supporter, I would love Terra. FFVI is one of my favourite games of all time, so I would be excited as hell.

I won't lie in that I'll be surprised if she does make it in, but man I hope it does happen.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Nice to have one more supporter Nietona. I really dont get why Terra doesnt have more supporter. FF6 was a huge success back then.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, there are a lot of people who like FF6 and I'm sure would like her in smash, but maybe not on smashboards. We saw more in other places, and she's one of the most popular FF characters after Cloud. Also it's recent that we see third parties can get more than one character (Simon and Richter). It might not have clicked for a lot of people that she could have a chance.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I saw the talk on the previous page about Celes being a Terra echo. I didn't of that but it would be amazing. To make them more distinct, Terra could use fire in some moves while Celes uses ice. I wonder what her Final Smash would be.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think Terra's main issue with support is that a lot of people don't think she has much of a chance. She's third party, from a franchise that already has one rep; classic though it is, her game is very old; she's up against a lot of competition from other FF characters; she isn't all that well-known among the general gaming public, and I've heard Square tend to be very controlling about this sort of thing, so there's the corporate side of things too.

That said, if Smash continues the way it is, I reckon she's bound to get in sooner or later! I believe VI to be the best FF, so I'd be ecstatic. I personally prefer Celes as a character, but there's no reason she couldn't be an echo. Just give her Ice instead of Fire then Runic as a copy of PSI Magnet and you're done!

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Yeah you are right. Maybe having Cloud diminished Terra's chance because it opened the possibility to any square Enix character instead of Only the ones on nintendo. Now people are pushing for Sora and newer FF character which is a big bummer.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I suppose part of it is a general sense of apathy towards FF from the Nintendo/Smash community. Most Nintendo fans, or at least the ones that I've noticed, tend to not really care for RPGs unless they're from Pokémon or are heavily-platform based like the Mario RPGs. Final Fantasy as a franchise was also seen as heavily Sony-affiliated during Brawl speculation, with its most talked-about character Cloud seen as a no-go along the likes of Goku and Shrek since he was considered one of Sony's unofficial mascots, which also added to the apathy towards the series.

Also, while she was always popular amongst the FFVI crowd, Terra herself was basically ignored by much of the contemporary FF fanbase until her appearance in Dissidia as a playable character, and it was only since then that she's managed to make appearances in promotional materials outside of her home game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it depends. Smash is more recognizable as a fighting game now, and that opens the doors a lot, because Dissidia is a fighting game of its own kind too.
Maybe it just hasn't been the right time, and I feel like it's the right time now, but unfortunately we're quite a ways into it now, there's less than 4 months left? Though that doesn't have to stop from growing her fanbase, and can be in general or this smash or for the next smash.

It is a bit unfortunate that there's so many pop characters from SquareEnix, like Sora, new FF characters, Dragon quest characters, and let's not forget Geno is from square. Now what would be cool is a partnership between SE and Nintendo either for smash or for another game, where we could get all these awesome characters mashing up. I wonder when Crono is gonna make a come back too.
But anyway, still, Terra is awesome, and I hope it's true she can be in smash.

<3

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I imagine a lot of you are fans not only of FFVI but the other classic ones too. I made a support thread for FFIV's Cecil, so if you want to go there and support him that would be cool.

I don't want this post to be off-topic so I have a question for you: is Terra your most wanted FF character? If not, then who is it? My dream pick would be FFIV's Rydia but the only characters that even have any chance of being playable are the protagonists, so I'm only a vocal supporter of Terra and Cecil. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Terra.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Personally, the only reason I ever figured Terra had any chance at showing up in Smash Ultimate IS because of Cloud already being in the roster. Prior to that, I never really saw her as an option. She was never iconic enough to get in over someone like Cloud but with him in already, she'd do nicely alongside him. Richter appearing alongside Simon already kind of broke the 1 character per third party franchise trend and people already believe Shadow and Ken are likely. Since Sakurai has already mentioned Terra in an interview and because she fills a niche of being a Nintendo FF protagonist, I think she has more of a shot now than she ever did in the past.

Hey guys, I imagine a lot of you are fans not only of FFVI but the other classic ones too. I made a support thread for FFIV's Cecil, so if you want to go there and support him that would be cool.

I don't want this post to be off-topic so I have a question for you: is Terra your most wanted FF character? If not, then who is it? My dream pick would be FFIV's Rydia but the only characters that even have any chance of being playable are the protagonists, so I'm only a vocal supporter of Terra and Cecil. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Terra.
Terra is my most wanted for sure. She's my favorite game character by far.

Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice

I hide my shame for wanting cait sith from final fantasy 7. But terra aside and hated characters aside, i feel like bartz should get in the most

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Terra's my favorite for me, at least for smash. I love Rydia too, but FF4 doesn't have the same impact for me. I like Lightning, but dunno for smash. Tifa and Yuffie are some of my favorites, I just don't think it's likely that FF7 would get another character when there's other series to draw from. That's about as much as I can think of for now, I'd need to think about the others... except for Rikku, I like her too :)

And yeah, I feel the same about Terra's chances like Carrill. I think she has 'more' of a chance now than before Cloud went in.

Side tidbit: my first avatar on this site was actually Cait sith

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'll support my favorite Final Fantasy character, especially if there's a green hair alt.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I'd love for either Terra or Cecil to get in, but if push came to shove I'd choose Terra in a heartbeat. She's one of my favorite video game characters and my favorite FF protagonist. FFVI itself is also very nostalgic for me despite only getting to play it for the first time in 2008, 14 years after its original release, which just shows to show it continues to hold up very well even for someone who grew up playing later gen consoles like the Gamecube or PS2.

Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Terra's my favorite for me, at least for smash. I love Rydia too, but FF4 doesn't have the same impact for me. I like Lightning, but dunno for smash. Tifa and Yuffie are some of my favorites, I just don't think it's likely that FF7 would get another character when there's other series to draw from. That's about as much as I can think of for now, I'd need to think about the others... except for Rikku, I like her too :)

And yeah, I feel the same about Terra's chances like Carrill. I think she has 'more' of a chance now than before Cloud went in.

Side tidbit: my first avatar on this site was actually Cait sith

i went years without an icon. I had Cait sith as one for one month, then I decided to go with Ultimate Cloud. Man of culture I see

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Terra is my most wanted FF protagonist and one of my favorite video game characters of all-time. In fact, she's my second favorite video game character of all-time, only behind Takumi from Fire Emblem Fates.
I love her as a character and how she grows as one throughout the game. Her story and how she develops is why I want to see her in Smash Bros., beyond being a unique fighter of course. I do like Cloud as a character and I am more than happy to play as him, but I love Terra more.
Beyond her... I do like Noctis as a character to be honest and I wouldn't mind seeing him. And Sephiroth, because his sword would make him broken.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was trying to find if someone made a Terra skin for a smash game, and I couldn't find any. The only thing I found was a voice pack that goes over Zelda. It'd be cool if there was a skin, it could work on Zelda (even if no sword).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEhiNSJmgEM

~

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to find if someone made a Terra skin for a smash game, and I couldn't find any. The only thing I found was a voice pack that goes over Zelda. It'd be cool if there was a skin, it could work on Zelda (even if no sword).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEhiNSJmgEM

~
Terra would be perfect as a Robin skin because Robin uses a sword and elemental magic.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I understand what you guys mean! Terra has more of a shot now than before Cloud. And I believe that seeing the echo Richter and opening the possibility to have Celes as an echo boost Terra's popularity too. Two female protagonists ? Nintendo cant say no to that

As for best FF character ? Celes has always been my all time fave and FF6 my fave vidéo game. FF7 and FF9 not to far behind. Playing again FF7 and FF9 not to long ago I was suprise to realize I prefer the game play and the story and the characters from FF9 than FF7. Dont get me wrong FF7 is way more iconic but there is something about the 9. It was way underrated. FF7 was awesome the first disk. But after Aerith death the game kinda became boring for a while. Cait Sith and Tifa were my fave and Quina, Vivi and Garnet.

Having Celes and Terra would bring back FF6 which needs it. Never understood why they remade the 4th one but never the 6 one.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It'd be cool if they're actually remaking FF6 and it'd be an extra reason to have Terra in (for promotion)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Since my SNES is already close to dying, if not dead already, I’d be all for a high quality FF6 remake, especially if it uses the same engine (or a similar one) as Octopath’s. There’s a certain charm to the game that couldn’t be replicated in modern 3D graphics, so I feel it’s better that it remains 2D.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
wow, that's cool. I think you're spot on, but it's weird that he doesn't want go right out and say it.
Cuz who else besides characters from FF would warrant saying pre-sony. very very interesting...
I saw some people say Crash but that makes no sense because that's where he debuted, and to be honest when I saw that post, I immediately thought Final Fantasy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was actually thinking of asking for a direct link or at least where to go to see the original.
Was it only an image?

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I was actually thinking of asking for a direct link or at least where to go to see the original.
Was it only an image?
Some person was just trolling to prove a point.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Apparently, that's a faked post. Vergeben never said anything like that.
Darn, then I apologize for posting fake information. But for real, good luck with Terra being in Smash, while my avatar clearly displays who I'd like, I would most certainly welcome Terra with open arms as she happens to be my favorite FFVI character.

Top Bottom