• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Innocent Magitek Knight Summons to Battle: Terra Branford for Smash Ultimate! Searching For Friends

Are you willing to join the Returners?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Not to get people's hopes up, but there was a NeoGaf Rumor a while ago that said Terra was playable. I don' believe it and i think it's bogus, but it made me realize how much i would love that to happen.

FF6 is one of my favorite SNES games alongside SMRPG, Mega Man X and Super Castlevania 4, and Terra is one of my favorites. She could perfectly represent the Magical aspect of Final Fantasy, since Cloud only uses Sword Attacks and Limit Breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Is it this right here? https://web.archive.org/web/2018080...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

- K Rool (already confirmed)
- Simon Belmont (already confirmed)
- Isaac (is on his way)
- Monster Hunter (is still in development which is the reason why he wasn't confirmed today)
- Terra from the Final Fantasy Series
- Another Bandai Namco character
- Prince Sable from "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"

I'd be happy if this was real. but yeah I'll take this for a grain of salt. THen I will pour more salt out of my eyes when I find out she's disconfirmed yet again.

"Another bandai namco character (MAKE IT TWO NEW NEWCOMERS)"

Realistically, it's Don Chan. I want it to be Don chan < 3

D

Deleted member

Is it this right here? https://web.archive.org/web/2018080...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

- K Rool (already confirmed)
- Simon Belmont (already confirmed)
- Isaac (is on his way)
- Monster Hunter (is still in development which is the reason why he wasn't confirmed today)
- Terra from the Final Fantasy Series
- Another Bandai Namco character
- Prince Sable from "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"

I'd be happy if this was real. but yeah I'll take this for a grain of salt. THen I will pour more salt out of my eyes when I find out she's disconfirmed yet again.

"Another bandai namco character (MAKE IT TWO NEW NEWCOMERS)"

Realistically, it's Don Chan. I want it to be Don chan < 3
Yep, that's the one.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Just wanna say, I researched more on this d eleted neogaf user...

This was on july 3rd.
Makes me wonder.... How does these "sources" work? Who are the sources? developers of the game? Beta testers? Are they just releasing real and fake information here and there to mess with people? I mean they were half right here....

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm pretty sure I expressed my support for Terra once in the past, but I want to say that if Terra makes in Smash then I would cry tears of joy because not only is FFVI one of my favorite RPGs, but because she would also help give proper representation to the Nintendo-era FF games. She'd compliment Cloud's appearance well as she could use many different types of FF magic, something that Cloud can't do already.

Also, a Celes echo to accompany her confirmation would be killer.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure I expressed my support for Terra once in the past, but I want to say that if Terra makes in Smash then I would cry tears of joy because not only is FFVI one of my favorite RPGs, but because she would also help give proper representation to the Nintendo-era FF games. She'd compliment Cloud's appearance well as she could use many different types of FF magic, something that Cloud can't do already.

Also, a Celes echo to accompany her confirmation would be killer.
Tbh if we were gonna follow Simon and Richter it might me more likely we would give Terra an echo from another FF game. Most of them are possible since a lot of them can use both magic and swords. If i were to choose it'd be in between Bartz as a mime to represent ALL FF within moveset, or Firion for being in the game that defined FF the most

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
That leak gives me hope. I'll take it with a grain of salt but still. I would go crazy if Terra was revealed.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since Nintendo is being all into retro characters, I figured Terra could be considered. The only thing is I don't think she had that much popularity for the ballot, though I dunno. But other than that, imagine if Terra and Geno were in the game! What a throwback. I'm 100% for Terra. I love her quite a bit.
If I weren't lazy I'd change my sig for her.
Edit: Nevermind, I changed it. I support her :)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Tbh if we were gonna follow Simon and Richter it might me more likely we would give Terra an echo from another FF game. Most of them are possible since a lot of them can use both magic and swords. If i were to choose it'd be in between Bartz as a mime to represent ALL FF within moveset, or Firion for being in the game that defined FF the most
Good suggestions, I hadn't thought of that. However, my only problem with putting in someone like, say, Firion, as an Echo for Terra is that they don't share the same size and weight to really be considered a 'clone' of her, while Celes is similar enough to Terra in FFVI that it could work. I could maybe see Bartz fitting in better, though that's only if Terra's Trance form isn't utilized outside of her Final Smash.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Good suggestions, I hadn't thought of that. However, my only problem with putting in someone like, say, Firion, as an Echo for Terra is that they don't share the same size and weight to really be considered a 'clone' of her, while Celes is similar enough to Terra in FFVI that it could work. I could maybe see Bartz fitting in better, though that's only if Terra's Trance form isn't utilized outside of her Final Smash.
Esper terra for echos? Easy.

I - Black mage WoL

II - Firion with a rod with high level firaja cuz why not

III - Black mage OK

V - Bartz as a black mage

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as i want Terra, i don't think she's likely if only because there are only 2 FF songs in Ultimate.

There's also the fact that in Smash's Website, Final Fantasy is listed as "Final Fantasy VII". Then again in the latter case they could just put Terra under "Final Fantasy VI", even if it's weird seeing two games of the same franchise separated on the website.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As much as i want Terra, i don't think she's likely if only because there are only 2 FF songs in Ultimate.

There's also the fact that in Smash's Website, Final Fantasy is listed as "Final Fantasy VII". Then again in the latter case they could just put Terra under "Final Fantasy VI", even if it's weird seeing two games of the same franchise separated on the website.
No need to look at the worst things. s'all good, Terra will make it in if it's meant to be :) (and if square likes the idea enough)
And with love <3

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I suppose they could always simply just change it to "Final Fantasy" on the website, as unlikely as it could be.

I don't know what to say about the two tracks, though. Final Fantasy has its own music album composing of two songs from the same game, rather than being shuffled into Miscellaneous like all the other franchises with only music tracks from one game, which just looks strange to me. They could possibly be hiding the FF6 tracks (as in they're not available in the build they showed off in the Direct), but that's pretty unlikely IMO.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I suppose they could always simply just change it to "Final Fantasy" on the website, as unlikely as it could be.

I don't know what to say about the two tracks, though. Final Fantasy has its own music album composing of two songs from the same game, rather than being shuffled into Miscellaneous like all the other franchises with only music tracks from one game, which just looks strange to me. They could possibly be hiding the FF6 tracks (as in they're not available in the build they showed off in the Direct), but that's pretty unlikely IMO.
Of course they'd be hiding anything that could hint at it before it happens, you know they like to hold on to things to surprise people.
That includes titles, inclusion of music or not, or whatever. They'll change everything to fit if/when it gets to it.

Also, I don't really look at her chances that much, because I'm just wishing for her to be in smash, not trying to see if it's possible or not. I'm not afraid to get disappointed if she wouldn't get in, I'd rather look at the possible too, than focus on what could make it not work. It'd be really cool if she made it in. I'll enjoy either way, and heal my disappointment if I get invested.
Anyway, 'd love to see her in.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I honestly doubt the developers were like "You know that one game? known best for it's music? Let's just make it its own category, with only two songs while every other series gets 10's of them." it just sounds wrong. I hope 7 either gets more (One Winged Angel would be awesome) or we also get FF6 songs with a new character.

Sakurai: Or if it's from one title rather than a series

Bruh.

1534084418842.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would take any leak with a massive grain of salt.
If I learned anything about leaks from 4's speculation, nothing is absolute. I mean, everyone thought the Gematsu leak was going to be true, but we got Robin instead of Chrom.
Until I see some really out there predictions from one of these leaks, I think it's best to not believe them.

On the topic of Celes as a Terra echo, I say that it would work rather well. As much as I would love to see other Final Fantasys be represented, Celes would require a little less work and it makes sense since she and Terra can be considered dual protagonists.

I, like many others, am hoping that Final Fantasy gets more songs. I'm happy enough that Cloud is in it, but the series should at least get some more content.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I'm just happy that this leak is bringing up more discussion about Terra.

D

Deleted member

I think the title should be changed from "Terra for Smash Switch" to "Terra for Smash Ultimate".

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I didn't even know about the leak, I just realized the potential for retro characters after the last direct, and Terra would be awesome. The leak is neat if it gets a few people thinking about her though.

I imagine she could fight mostly with magic, but she also could have her sword, maybe imbued with magic as well.
Celes as an echo is a great idea! I mean, it seems a bit stretching, but I'd be 100% for that :)

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
If I could add any one character from any series to Smash Ultimate, it would be Terra. She's my ultimate wish character!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I think that Terra will be a great Cloud Echo Fighter the more I think about this Leak. And FF6 is one Nintendo Exclusives games on the SNES people argue Cloud that he shouldn't be in the game because he dont have that Nintendo history like Sora or Terra which I agree but you cant denied that Cloud is the face of FF. But I picture Terra having a different FS no question. I love to see Terra keeping my fingers cross for Geno. Wait what if Terra doe's appear to be her own character it might effect Geno chances.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
im ashamed to say that ive never played Final fantasy VI :S ... have been on my "I should play this" for very long, i'm incredible tempted to buy the steam version.... but those sprites DX....

Teeb147

Smash Legend
im ashamed to say that ive never played Final fantasy VI :S ... have been on my "I should play this" for very long, i'm incredible tempted to buy the steam version.... but those sprites DX....
Yup that's why I haven't gotten the steam version, I just love too much the old sprite look. I might still get it in the future though, just to play all versions I guess :p
FF6 was one of the first rpgs that I got pretty into, it was great for the time, and I guess even still now, if you enjoy classic rpgs.
Celes was a bit bland in combat compared to Terra, but I have a fondness for her outside of that. So people suggesting an echo of her brings up some good alleys. I can only hope some people at Nintendo or SE had similar ideas :D

D

Deleted member

I think the original SNES version has aged pretty well, honestly. I would recommend that one, if only because i prefer the soundtrack of the SNES version waaaaaaaaay over the GBA one.

FF6 (or 3 as the SNES version is called) is on the SNES Classic, so if you have that you can play it.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad to see this influx of supporters!
Whether the leak is real or fake, all we can do is hope for the best! :)

I think that Terra will be a great Cloud Echo Fighter the more I think about this Leak.
Hmm...
I disagree with her being an echo fighter for Cloud. She isn't aggressive or as physically strong or built like Cloud is. She's primarily a magic user that can use swords. If anything, I'd argue that Zack Fair from FF7 would be a good Cloud echo, but that is a different discussion.

It's a shame the Wii Shop Channel doesn't take in any points anymore, because that has the original version of FF6 (known as FF3 in the US).
I'd recommend a SNES Classic if you are dying to play this game. I've heard the Steam port isn't that good as well...

max_0888

Smash Cadet
It would be awesome if Terra got included in Smash. Especially if Celes is her echo. It could definitely work. They would need two different Final Smash though, Terra needs to morph.

I love Geno and want him included in smash so much, but if I had to choose between the two SE games, I love FF6 more. I know Cloud will probably be the only FF representative but FF6 was on the SNES and the link with Nintendo is closer.

Also, on the SNES classic that came out not to long ago, you have Castlevania, Earthbound, F-Zero and mostly Smash related games. With the inclusion of Mario RPG and FF6, it gives me hope. There is also Secret of Mana but don't see it coming to Smash.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
It would be awesome if Terra got included in Smash. Especially if Celes is her echo. It could definitely work. They would need two different Final Smash though, Terra needs to morph.

I love Geno and want him included in smash so much, but if I had to choose between the two SE games, I love FF6 more. I know Cloud will probably be the only FF representative but FF6 was on the SNES and the link with Nintendo is closer.

Also, on the SNES classic that came out not to long ago, you have Castlevania, Earthbound, F-Zero and mostly Smash related games. With the inclusion of Mario RPG and FF6, it gives me hope. There is also Secret of Mana but don't see it coming to Smash.
I would definitely agree. And the SNES mini having FF6? I don't own that but that's huge. That and there only being 2 "Final Fantasy 7" songs with it's own category despite being just one game? That would be great. However this is the Smash ballot Smash and we live in a world where people would prefer some Disney kid with an outfit that makes Tidus look like a business man and we also live in a world where people believe Cloud represents ALL OF FINAL FANTASY which isn't true. Final fantasy 7's compilation, sure but all of it? That's insane. Justice for Terra....

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
What kind of tagline do you guys see Terra having in a potential reveal trailer? I'm thinking...

"TERRA Returns to Battle!"

It references her affiliation with the Returners. ;)

D

Deleted member

What kind of tagline do you guys see Terra having in a potential reveal trailer? I'm thinking...

I always saw "TERRA is Summoned!" or "TERRA makes her magic!"

I was wondering how Terra's trailer would go. I mean this is assuming she is in the base roster and not DLC (ironically that would mean Terra gets a full-blown CGI trailer while Cloud only got gameplay in Smash 4) since we see veterans interacting with the newcomers in some fashion.

Also who's gonna die in her trailer?

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice

I was wondering how Terra's trailer would go. I mean this is assuming she is in the base roster and not DLC (ironically that would mean Terra gets a full-blown CGI trailer while Cloud only got gameplay in Smash 4) since we see veterans interacting with the newcomers in some fashion.

Also who's gonna die in her trailer?
It will for sure be in Narshe since you start there. And Charizard is fire type. He's ded af. I could see Terra accidentally killing Charizard with ice though

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I disagree with her being an echo fighter for Cloud. She isn't aggressive or as physically strong or built like Cloud is. She's primarily a magic user that can use swords. If anything, I'd argue that Zack Fair from FF7 would be a good Cloud echo, but that is a different discussion.
Well if people are requesting Shadow that could use Chaos Emeralds or what Dark Samus she was completely different from Samus in smash 4 anything is possible. Not saying I want Terra to be a Cloud Echo it just a theory.

D

Deleted member

I would definitely agree. And the SNES mini having FF6? I don't own that but that's huge. That and there only being 2 "Final Fantasy 7" songs with it's own category despite being just one game? That would be great. However this is the Smash ballot Smash and we live in a world where people would prefer some Disney kid with an outfit that makes Tidus look like a business man and we also live in a world where people believe Cloud represents ALL OF FINAL FANTASY which isn't true. Final fantasy 7's compilation, sure but all of it? That's insane. Justice for Terra....
I refuse to believe that people think that Cloud represents all of FF when he just represents a fraction of it.
As much as I love 7 (not as much as 6 of course), I would love to see FF get more content beyond Cloud, Midgar, and 2 (maybe 3 if you count the FF7 Fanfare remix) songs from FF.

Oh right, speaking of Sora... I can't be the only one who is bothered by the fact that Terra hasn't appeared in KH and there is a dude named Terra in the games, right?

I think all of them work. In fact, I even thought "Terra Summons to Battle!" at one point.
I love that and "Terra Returns to Battle!" a lot.

I was thinking a remake of the intro to FF6... but with a twist and we see that instead of an Esper being frozen, it's a monstrous character like Charizard. They get unthawed and then we see Terra join the battle.
If there is a Moogle Assist Trophy, there better be some interaction with it and Terra. After all... Terra loves Moogles.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I think the reason Terra doesn't appear in the KH series is because it's directed by Tetsuya Nomura and he's really biased toward the characters he created. Apparently, he was the original designer of Setzer and this is why you see Setzer in KH2 and not Terra. It's also why there's barely any FFIX in that series.

Also... it's for the best that Terra Branford isn't in KH. The characterizations of Final Fantasy characters are really odd in Kingdom Hearts. It makes it very clear that Nomura is the designer of these characters and not the one who writes them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh right, speaking of Sora... I can't be the only one who is bothered by the fact that Terra hasn't appeared in KH and there is a dude named Terra in the games, right?
The reason Terra (and many other FF characters) doesn't appear in KH likely has to do with the fact that Nomura, the man behind KH as a whole, didn't have a hand in creating her. The only character who appears in the series that wasn't created by him was Vivi (and only because the team begged him to put him in) and he doesn't seem to like to work with FF characters he didn't have a hand in creating on (either because he is unfamiliar with the characters and doesn't want to mess them up or because he is biased towards his own creations)

Setzer actually originates from an unused concept from a Gambler Class in FF5, alongside a "Ninja and Dog" Class (the Ninja was used but the Dog wasn't) and those concepts were used for FF6's Setzer and Shadow respectively. Nomura did have a hand on creating these 2, which is why Setzer appears in Kingdom Hearts 2. Nomura wasn't that much involved regarding creating main characters before FF7, as he was mostly in charge of designing the enemies and monsters, and characters like Setzer were the exception.

Also, the reason Terra from KH is named Terra is because of theming, as Terra means "Earth" in Latin, and he is friends with Aqua ("Water" in Latin) and Ventus ("Wind" in Latin), which parallels Riku ("Land" in Japanese) Kairi ("Sea" in Japanese) and Sora ("Sky" in Japanese)

Terra Branford in Japan is named Tina Branford, but it was likely changed to Terra since Tina is a very common name in the west, and the reason she was called Tina in the first place was because it sounded different and special (Tina is a forgein name to Japanese people, so it's gonna stick out) so they changed to something more exotic to western audiences (this is in line with Woolseyism, the idea of stuff getting changed during translation to work better in the new language, and FF6 is one of the biggest examples of this as a whole)

EDIT::ultgreninja:'d.

D

Deleted member

Apparently, he was the original designer of Setzer and this is why you see Setzer in KH2 and not Terra. It's also why there's barely any FFIX in that series.
Setzer actually originates from an unused concept from a Gambler Class in FF5, alongside a "Ninja and Dog" Class (the Ninja was used but the Dog wasn't) and those concepts were used for FF6's Setzer and Shadow respectively. Nomura did have a hand on creating these 2, which is why Setzer appears in Kingdom Hearts 2. Nomura wasn't that much involved regarding creating main characters before FF7, as he was mostly in charge of designing the enemies and monsters, and characters like Setzer were the exception.
Looks like you learn something new every day! I didn't know that he created (or at least had a hand in creating) Setzer and Shadow! That's good to know!

Also, the reason Terra from KH is named Terra is because of theming, as Terra means "Earth" in Latin, and he is friends with Aqua ("Water" in Latin) and Ventus ("Wind" in Latin), which parallels Riku ("Land" in Japanese) Kairi ("Sea" in Japanese) and Sora ("Sky" in Japanese)

Terra Branford in Japan is named Tina Branford, but it was likely changed to Terra since Tina is a very common name in the west, and the reason she was called Tina in the first place was because it sounded different and special (Tina is a forgein name to Japanese people, so it's gonna stick out) so they changed to something more exotic to western audiences (this is in line with Woolseyism, the idea of stuff getting changed during translation to work better in the new language, and FF6 is one of the biggest examples of this as a whole)
I remember being told this from a friend, but it does irk me somewhat that their names are similar but for different reasons. I'm not sure why it irks me a bit though.

The characterizations of Final Fantasy characters are really odd in Kingdom Hearts. It makes it very clear that Nomura is the designer of these characters and not the one who writes them.
Come on! You don't want to hear Terra talk about the darkness? :p

Anyways, enough of the KH talk. :p
I finally got around to editing the title for the thread from Smash Switch to Smash Ultimate!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The more I feel into it, the more I think Terra might be one of my most wanted characters, if not #1.
I usually don't care for leaks, but in this case I don't think I would've gone too far in thinking she could be included without it.
I'd just love using her in smash.

I thought I might get some ideas of how she could be by watching some Dissidia gameplay, but I really dont think it transfers over. I can imagine a few moves tho.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I don't know why, call me an optimistic, but I have a feeling Terra has a shot. I know she isn't high in polls, but FF6 must have been one of the most popular FF game back then on the SNES and Terra represents the game and this era or RPG games.

Sakurai did mention her. We might get a surprise soon ;)

Top Bottom