• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Innocent Magitek Knight Summons to Battle: Terra Branford for Smash Ultimate! Searching For Friends

Are you willing to join the Returners?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Link to our Discord server! If the link doesn't work anymore and you are interested in joining, DM me please!
https://discord.gg/kjGw3bN

Welcome to Terra Branford's support thread!

CHARACTER BIO
Terra is often considered to be the main protagonist in Final Fantasy VI, even though the game doesn't truly have a centralized character.
Much about Terra is shrouded in mystery, since we have no idea who is at the start of the game. In fact, she has no idea who she is at the beginning of the game, other than her name.
At the beginning, it is said that she burned 50 of the best soldiers in The Empire and was put on the mission. However, The Empire forced her to wear the Slave Crown, a device that made her obey the every command of The Empire. After encountering an Esper, she was freed from her treatment. She has no idea who she is or what her past is like.
Terra is a character who is loving, gentle, and very innocent. She can't tell what is the right thing to do since a lot of people want her for her power, including the Returners (people opposing The Empire), which she can't decide to join or not. She isn't much of a fighter because she hates fighting and gets afraid.
The source of her incredible power comes from the fact that she is half-human-half-Esper. She can transform into an Esper, but she loses control of herself in the process, having the work on taking control of her power and herself.
Her father was an Esper and her mother was a human. The Empire invaded the Esper World and captured many of them to abuse their power. She was taken by The Empire to become a weapon.

The journey Terra goes on is very philosophical, asking questions that we don't know the answers to (such as what is love) and learning to control herself and her powers.
She also has an affinity for Moogles.

HOW WOULD SHE FIGHT?
There is a lot of inspiration for Terra. She could be a magic sword user in the same vain as Robin, but would use a larger variety of spells than Robin would. Arguably, the main spell she could use is Fire, which is one of the spells that she starts off with.
Her magic usage can represent the variety of spells in FF6, such as Lightning, Ice, Meteor, and so on. At higher percents, she could unleash a Desperation Attack that she has in FF6 called "Riot Blade", which attacks one enemy with magic.
She could also transform into an Esper, which would make her attacks a lot more powerful for a short period of time. This could be a source of a mechanic she could have, but it seems more like a Final Smash.
Terra appears alongside other Final Fantasy characters in the fighting game Dissidia: Final Fantasy and its sequels Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy and the arcade Dissidia game. The Dissidia games could be a source of inspiration as to how she could fight in Smash. In that series, she is a magic zoning character that moves rather slow; the new arcade Dissidia game refers to her as a "Shoot" character, thus suggesting she could act as a zoner in Smash Bros. Here is some gameplay from the first Dissidia game and her moveset in arcade Dissidia:
WARNING: FINAL FANTASY VI SPOILERS!
Her gameplay would be drastically different from Cloud in that, instead of attacking through brute force, you attack through being patient and being a zoner.

ARGUMENTS
"Why should Square receive another character? That's absurd!"
Final Fantasy is a household name and is Square's most popular franchise. Final Fantasy not only has a history with Nintendo, but gaming as a whole. It brought out the RPG genre to western audiences with the original game and basically had the poster-child for the modern JRPG with Final Fantasy VII (without that game, RPGs wouldn't be as popular).
But why Terra? Her game has gained a lot of recognition from fans; it's often said to be the best 2D Final Fantasy Square made and the game has a lot of fans in the west. The game does have a legacy for this reason; perhaps not on the same scale as VII, but it comes pretty close.

"FF6 is well-known, but Terra isn't!"
Again, FF6 is a pretty popular game among FF fans and Terra is beloved by the people who played the game (in fact, she was one of the first characters confirmed for the arcade Dissidia game). In fact, when it came down to choosing which character to represent Final Fantasy in Smash 4, Terra was considered by Sakurai, but ultimately lost to Cloud.
With a feat like that, she is definitely not obscure at all. Square is fully aware of how popular Terra and FF6 are.

"Why Terra instead of *insert FFVI character here*?"
It's true that Final Fantasy VI doesn't have a centralized character, but Terra is arguably the most important character in the game. The events in the game are all caused by her and the actions by other characters are motivated by her.
When it came to choosing an FFVI rep for Dissidia, Terra was chosen because she was used for the game's box art and advertising.
When it comes down to it, while FF6 features an ensemble cast, but Terra is given focal point the most out of all the characters.

MOVESETS
I have my own moveset to share! Please add this to the original post!

Terra Branford SSB5 Moveset

Default Costume

Alternate Costume

Summary

In SSB5, Terra Branford is a glass cannon zoner character with powerful ranged attacks utilizing the many spells of Final Fantasy’s history and weaker close range attacks utilizing her sword. Because of this, the majority of her attacks are disjointed and neglect to protect her own body.

Very similar to her unique mechanic in Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT and Arcade, she possesses a unique charge mechanic which will power up her magical attacks. It can be thought of Cloud’s limit break mechanic in SSB4 with key differences. Represented by an ATB gauge above Terra’s percent at the bottom of the screen, this ability is passively charged and will slowly fill as long as Terra is not using magical attacks or getting hit. If both these conditions are perfectly satisfied, Terra’s gauge will fill in about 2.5 seconds, allowing her to enter her charged state. Once charged, Terra will be able to unleash an extra powerful magical attack, including her various standard attacks in addition to her specials. Because she has much more charged attacks to choose from than Cloud does his special limit breaks, her charged spells have less insane kill potential in comparison yet are more plenty. Terra’s charged state is indicated by a faint glow that surrounds her as well as the sound que of a selected attack from Final Fantasy VI.

ATB Bar example at bottom right

While charged, Terra stands as an incredible threat. To overcome her, Terra’s opponent must pressure her and deal damage at close range where she is less protected. This in turn causes her to lose access to the more powerful tools in her moveset. However, she has a trump card. Her down B special Cura is a special move on a long cooldown that essentially gives her a free charge. Use this to get out of a pinch, surprise an opponent, or stack its effect when you already have a charge available to unleash multiple powerful spells in a row.

Stats

Hurtbox: Slender yet taller than average (as tall as Zelda)

Weight: Fairly lightweight (as light as Palutena)

Speed: Slow (about as slow as Zelda)

Crouch: Terra gracefully squats down to about half height

Specials

Neutral B, Fira: Terra unleashes a small mid-range lobbing fireball with little kill potential, knocking the opponent back a short distance with moderate damage. Because it’s downward lobbing motion, it is useful as an off-stage tool in its uncharged state. In its charged state, the flame becomes enlarged in size, as tall as Terra herself. It moves forward with a slight downward motion (not quite lobbing as before) the same distance with multiple hits, greater damage, and stronger kill power.

Side B, Blizarra: Terra creates a dagger-like icicle that protrudes in front of her, lingers for one second, and later moves toward the nearest target with limited homing properties. During the cast, the player can angle the analog stick to control the direction the icicle is pointed and shot. Upon contact with the icicle, the opponent is dealt low damage and is frozen in place, vulnerable to follow-up attacks. This move possesses absolutely no kill potential. The same hitbox of the icicle applies during the icicle’s stationary phase even. In its charged state, Terra will create two larger icicles in succession, dealing increased damage and freezing enemies in place for longer.

Up B, Tornado: For her recovery move, Terra surrounds herself with a turbulent wind, allowing her to move through the air and deal weak, succeeding hits to enemies within the tornado. In execution, it is very similar to Bowser or Wii Fit Trainer’s up B move. While its horizontal movement is strong however, its vertical movement is very weak in its uncharged state. Within its charged state, its vertical movement is increased by a lot and its damage is improved.

Down B, Cura: Terra’s down special allows her to immediately recover a slight amount of damage while also gaining a free charge. While it is nearly lagless, it is limited by a cooldown indicated by a glowing white energy that appears within Terra’s free hand when it’s ready. It takes about 18 seconds for Cura to charge. In addition, the charge effect stacks. When uncharged, Cura will restore 2% and provide Terra with a free charge. When charged, Cura will restore 5% and provide Terra with two charges. Using this ability sparingly to stack its charges is incredibly effective.

Standard Ground Attacks

Jab: Terra makes two elegant thrusts of her blade toward the opponent, finishing with a swift slash. Inflicts low damage with fairly low priority but has decent speed and decent range due to her sword.

Forward Tilt, Fire+Blizzard+Thunder Combo: At a medium distance away from her (possibly 4 feet?), Terra performs a swift combo of three weak spells—Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder in succession for moderate damage. Good priority but completely disjointed, disregarding Terra’s body. In its charged state, the range and damage slightly increase with kill power at very high percent (generally 180% and up).

Up Tilt: Terra waves her sword up above her head to protect from above. Inflicts low damage with fairly low priority but has decent speed and decent range due to her sword.

Down Tilt: Terra makes a long thrust of her blade while crouched, resulting in a slight launch effect. Inflicts low damage with fairly low priority but has decent speed and decent range due to her sword.

Dash Attack, Haste: Using her magic to carry her at high speed, Terra dashes forth with her body being turned into a weak hitbox for a short number of frames. Afterward, this move provides a similar effect to Palutena’s Lightweight custom move, increasing her move speed to something like Palutena’s default run speed. In its uncharged state however, the move lasts for 10 seconds yet also does not inflict a movement speed decrease debuff after use. In its charged state, this move still deals low damage but increases Terra’s movespeed by even more than this (about Shiek’s move speed) for 15 seconds. Unlike many other dash attacks, players must remember to use Haste very sparingly. Overuse can deny the Terra player her own charge as well as deny her a superior movement option at key moments.

Forward Smash, Flare: From a medium distance away from her (possibly 4 feet?), Terra focuses a spherical explosive blast with good priority, multiple hits, and strong kill power. This is one of her main kill moves. In its uncharged state, the range of the explosive sphere is not great but it remains potent. In its charged state, the range increases considerably and also increases in damage and kill power. It can be confirmed through Terra’s forward tilt if the final hit of forward tilt is canceled. It’s a strong move yet completely neglects Terra’s body with its extreme disjoint. Has considerable end lag.

Up Smash, Thundara: Directly in front of her, Terra summons a lightning bolt. This is similar to Pikachu’s down special however with half the range and less protection of the body. In its uncharged state, the attack moves the opponent down to the base of the hitbox and launches them forward diagonally with good kill power. In its charged state, the vertical range doubles with increased killpower.

Down Smash: Swiftly, Terra strikes forward with a piercing thrust while kicking backward with her sharp heel. It covers both her sides with decent priority and decent range due to the length of her sword. Lacks damage and kill power however.

Standard Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air: While in the air, Terra twirls around while striking with multiple elegant slashes of her blade for multiple hits. Low priority and low damage with a lingering hitbox that covers Terra’s body.

Forward Air: While in the air, Terra thrusts her blade forward for low damage and with low priority. The move is quick however with decent range due to her sword.

Back Air: While in the air, Terra thrusts her blade backward for low damage and with low priority. The move is quick however with decent range due to her sword.

Up Air, Graviga: Up above her, Terra creates a sphere of attracting gravity which draws all targets that are near toward it with a suction effect. It functions as a trap, completely devoid of killpower but dealing multiple weak hits to all enemies caught within it. In its uncharged state, the trap remains for 3 seconds and will retain any caught enemies within its area for the next 1.5 seconds while dealing multiple hits without any knockback. In its charged state, the trap remains for 5 seconds, retain caught enemies within its area for next 2 seconds while dealing multiple hits with no knockback, and even decreases the weight of targets trapped inside. With the added weight debuff, Terra can easily follow up her charged Graviga with a forward aerial or back aerial for a kill at higher percents (generally 180% and up).

Down Air, Meteor: Terra hurls three small and slow moving meteors beneath her, sending them moving at a downward and diagonal angle with the gradually moving apart. This is a strong off-stage projectile. In its uncharged state, the meteors launch the opponent diagonally forward and up with moderate kill potential. In its charged state, the meteors move faster, are slightly larger in size, and spike downward. A charged Terra is something for her opponent to fear while they are off-stage.

Grab and Pummel

Grab: Terra commands a miniature tornado locks her opponent within the blades of its wind.

Pummel: Terra increases the intensity of the Tornado spell for a pummel. Unaffected by charge.

Forward Throw: Terra forces the Tornado forward, inflicting multi-hit damage and knocking her target into other opponents to spread the damage. Unaffected by charge.

Back Throw: Terra flings the opponent within the Tornado backward and combos with a Holy spell. Five holy bolts are shot at the opponent for great damage. Unaffected by charge.

Up Throw: Terra forces the Tornado upward, inflicting multi-hit damage and knocking her target into other opponents to spread the damage. Unaffected by charge.

Down Throw: Terra combos the Tornado spell with a Graviga spell. A large sphere of gravity is hurled onto her opponent, dealing weak multiple hits and keeping them in place for 3 seconds similar to her uncharged up aerial attack. Deals no knockback but can be followed up. Unaffected by charge.

Final Smash: Trance

Terra’s Final Smash is a transformation move. After performing trance, she takes the form of an esper and is granted increased move speed and an altered moveset. For the most part, her moves are similar however sword moves are replaced for claw slash moves with increased damage. In addition to this, her previous forward smash Flare is replaced for a new forward smash called Riot Blade. Riot Blade is a mult-hit move that covers the range that Flare extends to but everything in between it and Terra’s body as well. The higher Terra’s percent is, the more killpower and damage it gains.

Other

Side Taunt: Terra takes out a moogle and proceeds to hug and cuddle it lovingly, speaking the line “Have you ever seen something so fluffy?”

Up Taunt: Terra takes out a piece of magicite and as the image of her father Madiun appears before her, she smiles. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...duinFF6.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20110306081203

Down Taunt: Terra shyly looks down with her arms behind her and speaks the line “I suppose a normal girl would have felt something from those words…”

Victory Pose 1: Terra undoes the ribbon which ties her hair, abandoning it in the wind and allowing her hair to flow free just like in the ending of Final Fantasy VI https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VI-(by-Blastinus)/Update 47/1-25072011_134100.png

Victory Pose 2: Terra unleashes her esper form, entering the pose and expression of this concept art piece by Yo****aka Amano. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...raesper.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20120725071632

Victory Pose 3: Twirling downward in her descent, Terra lands and poses with her daintily clutched fist to her chest speaking the line “I promised I’d keep the world safe… and I will!”

Entrance: Terra appears onto the battlefield with her magitek armor, descending down from it. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...est/scale-to-width-down/300?cb=20120725082049
MUSIC

SUPPORT
Click on either option on the poll and you are a supporter!
Welcome to the Returners![/SPOILER][/SPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I love Terra and her character is awesome.

Then again, I love most Final Fantasy characters. So I'd support since her magic is great. Cloud is a Fighter, but then we would have our Mage Class repped.

D

Deleted member

Terra has my support! I'd be thrilled to have her in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I love Terra and her character is awesome.

Then again, I love most Final Fantasy characters. So I'd support since her magic is great. Cloud is a Fighter, but then we would have our Mage Class repped.
Terra is my favorite FF character. I love Cloud and his character and while I am glad that he is in Smash, I just love Terra more.
And yes, a mage character would be awesome to have.

I'd love to see Terra despite never playing FF
You should definitely play 6! It's a good starting point if you want to get into the series in my opinion!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I also have an idea for a gimmick. Terra has a meter much like the KO punch, but instead of a powerful hit, hitting down B turns her into her Esper form for a power boost in stats, or unleashed the most powerful version of her spells/specials like Cloud's Limit but more extreme

D

Deleted member

I also have an idea for a gimmick. Terra has a meter much like the KO punch, but instead of a powerful hit, hitting down B turns her into her Esper form for a power boost in stats, or unleashed the most powerful version of her spells/specials like Cloud's Limit but more extreme
I have been talking with a good friend of mine, @AustarusIV, about this and we agreed that we wanted Esper Terra to be in her moveset and not be a Final Smash, like Giga Bowser or Wario Man.

What I thought was that Trance shouldn't be charged like Cloud's Limit, but it would be quicker to get to. We thought that it should make her specials more powerful, buff her attributes (like run and air speed), and possibly change some parts of her moveset to be more feral.
Terra would use her sword and Esper Terra would use her claws, such as how Wolf uses his attacks.

This artwork in particular convinced me about that.

All in all... I think Trance shouldn't be charged like Cloud's Limit, but it should be faster to get to and it shouldn't be a Final Smash; Trance is an important part of Terra's character.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
She's not kefka.

She's not Kefka at all.

I mean I support her. I'd support any ff6 character. Sabin's blitz mechanic and cat claw weaponry would be awesome. (and to be able to aurabolt a hadouken would make ten year old me gleeful).

But yeah, I'd happily take Terra too.

Can I just get Kefka's theme and Zozo's music as stage tracks?

Actually that's a good question for this thread, what ff6 stage would you want? Vector magitek factory? Narshe? Figaro castle? The opera house? The airship? The floating island with the statues? Kefka's tower? Zozo?

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Actually that's a good question for this thread, what ff6 stage would you want? Vector magitek factory? Narshe? Figaro castle? The opera house? The airship? The floating island with the statues? Kefka's tower? Zozo?
Narshe, Magitek Factory, and Kefka's Tower all seem like good choices. I think Narshe would be the best choice with Magitek Armour tanks as hazards and having the place look all abandoned and cold with a slow snowfall at nighttime. They'd probably remix Terra's theme with Magitek Factory and Dancing Mad kept the same.

D

Deleted member

ctually that's a good question for this thread, what ff6 stage would you want? Vector magitek factory? Narshe? Figaro castle? The opera house? The airship? The floating island with the statues? Kefka's tower? Zozo?
I can see them use Narshe, as it's an important and iconic area in the game. Not to mention that Narshe will be in DIssidia.

The Opera House would be nice too. I wonder how they would do the music...

Speaking of music, I would want to see Terra's Theme, the battle theme, Decisive Battle, Searching for Friends, and Dancing Mad.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I have been talking with a good friend of mine, @AustarusIV, about this and we agreed that we wanted Esper Terra to be in her moveset and not be a Final Smash, like Giga Bowser or Wario Man.

What I thought was that Trance shouldn't be charged like Cloud's Limit, but it would be quicker to get to. We thought that it should make her specials more powerful, buff her attributes (like run and air speed), and possibly change some parts of her moveset to be more feral.
Terra would use her sword and Esper Terra would use her claws, such as how Wolf uses his attacks.

This artwork in particular convinced me about that.

All in all... I think Trance shouldn't be charged like Cloud's Limit, but it should be faster to get to and it shouldn't be a Final Smash; Trance is an important part of Terra's character.
Maybe like a reverse of Cloud's Limit Break? As in it charges up on its own, then you activate it and she stays an Esper until the meter is drained?

D

Deleted member

Maybe like a reverse of Cloud's Limit Break? As in it charges up on its own, then you activate it and she stays an Esper until the meter is drained?
I was thinking something like that, where the meter builds up as you take and deal more damage and Trance lasts for about 20-25 seconds.
30 seconds is too long, as that would be there for 1/4 of the match in a timed 2 minute match or 1/12 of a competitive 2 stock and 6 minute match.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I support Terra! I want her in Smash so badly. They really need to honor the Nintendo era of Final Fantasy and Terra's just the best way to do it. Plus, she's been in so many games lately like Dissidia NT and World of Final Fantasy.

STAR PLATINUM!!!

Smash Rookie
So I've been thinking about this a lot over the past couple of weeks since Smash 5's announcement, and I've came up with some concept ideas for Terra. Terra uses a sword for her regular, dash, & smash attacks. Terra's standard special is Fire. (her starting magic attack in FFVI). Holding this attack will change it to Fire two or Fire three. Fire one is a small, short ranged fire ball attack that goes diagonally towards the ground. Fire one doesn't do much damage, causes a flinch effect. (When it hits the ground it makes a small explosion.) Fire two is bigger and goes further, when it hits the ground the explosion shoots up forming a pillar, causes a light launch. Fire three can be stored after being fully charged, the a attack when, released is a long ranged attack that shoots pillars one at a time. Fire three has a stong launch. (The attack stops at cliffs.) This attack has a limited use, once depleted will a short period of time, or get K.O'd.
Terra's side special attack is Reflect. This attack sends back projectiles back to the launcher at 1.5x the initial damage, with a little bit of launch or paralysis. (Duh.) Reflect puts up a barrier that lasts as long as you hold it the max time being 10 seconds. Holding out for 10 seconds will cause reflect to have a cool down time.
Terra's down special is Rasp/Osmose. The effect of Rasp/Osmose varies from what you are targeting. If you can trap an opponent in this attack Rasp will bring down your damage% while raising your opponents. If you catch a projectile in this attack, Osmose will replenish Fire & Reflect depending on how strong the projectile is.
Terra's up special/recovery is Warp. Terra teleports in the direction you want to go. (Like everyone else who has a teleport move.)
Terra's final smash transforms her into her esper form allowing her to fly and cast the spell Meteor. You can canst meteor three times. (One meteor for each attack, dealing 30% damage if landed.) After you use Meteor all three times Terra will automatically cast the spell Stop. The spell Stop will successful if you hit the same opponent all three times. If successful a cutscene will be triggered showing Terra & all her victims frozen in tim; Terra will cast the spell Life three then saying something like "You left me no choice, but I have to fight for the people who aren't born yet" then she cast the self destruct spell Ultima. Then everyone is engulfed in a red light. This attack gives everyone including Terra (if Terra's damage% is over 80) 20% damage. Anyone with damage% over 100 will get instantly K.O'd. If Terra's damage% is over 80, Life three will kick in restore one life with a 50% damage handicap.
Terra's Taunts: Terras up taunt has her turn into her esper form while she holds & looks wonderingly into a magicite crystal.
Terra's side taunt has her place her hand on her hand on her chest as she says "General Leo. I think I get what you where trying to say to me." Terra's down taunt has her turn into her esper form briefly then turns back into her human form.
I don't have any ideas for any victory sequences, so you could help with that.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699

Default Costume

DFF-2nd-Forms_08-11-16_009.jpg

Alternate Costume

Summary

In SSB5, Terra Branford is a glass cannon zoner character with powerful ranged attacks utilizing the many spells of Final Fantasy’s history and weaker close range attacks utilizing her sword. Because of this, the majority of her attacks are disjointed and neglect to protect her own body.

Very similar to her unique mechanic in Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT and Arcade, she possesses a unique charge mechanic which will power up her magical attacks. It can be thought of Cloud’s limit break mechanic in SSB4 with key differences. Represented by an ATB gauge above Terra’s percent at the bottom of the screen, this ability is passively charged and will slowly fill as long as Terra is not using magical attacks or getting hit. If both these conditions are perfectly satisfied, Terra’s gauge will fill in about 2.5 seconds, allowing her to enter her charged state. Once charged, Terra will be able to unleash an extra powerful magical attack, including her various standard attacks in addition to her specials. Because she has much more charged attacks to choose from than Cloud does his special limit breaks, her charged spells have less insane kill potential in comparison yet are more plenty. Terra’s charged state is indicated by a faint glow that surrounds her as well as the sound que of a selected attack from Final Fantasy VI.

While charged, Terra stands as an incredible threat. To overcome her, Terra’s opponent must pressure her and deal damage at close range where she is less protected. This in turn causes her to lose access to the more powerful tools in her moveset. However, she has a trump card. Her down B special Cura is a special move on a long cooldown that essentially gives her a free charge. Use this to get out of a pinch, surprise an opponent, or stack its effect when you already have a charge available to unleash multiple powerful spells in a row.

Stats

Specials

Neutral B, Fira: Terra unleashes a small mid-range lobbing fireball with little kill potential, knocking the opponent back a short distance with moderate damage. Because it’s downward lobbing motion, it is useful as an off-stage tool in its uncharged state. In its charged state, the flame becomes enlarged in size, as tall as Terra herself. It moves forward with a slight downward motion (not quite lobbing as before) the same distance with multiple hits, greater damage, and stronger kill power.

Side B, Blizarra: Terra creates a dagger-like icicle that protrudes in front of her, lingers for one second, and later moves toward the nearest target with limited homing properties. During the cast, the player can angle the analog stick to control the direction the icicle is pointed and shot. Upon contact with the icicle, the opponent is dealt low damage and is frozen in place, vulnerable to follow-up attacks. This move possesses absolutely no kill potential. The same hitbox of the icicle applies during the icicle’s stationary phase even. In its charged state, Terra will create two larger icicles in succession, dealing increased damage and freezing enemies in place for longer.

Up B, Tornado: For her recovery move, Terra surrounds herself with a turbulent wind, allowing her to move through the air and deal weak, succeeding hits to enemies within the tornado. In execution, it is very similar to Bowser or Wii Fit Trainer’s up B move. While its horizontal movement is strong however, its vertical movement is very weak in its uncharged state. Within its charged state, its vertical movement is increased by a lot and its damage is improved.

Down B, Cura: Terra’s down special allows her to immediately recover a slight amount of damage while also gaining a free charge. While it is nearly lagless, it is limited by a cooldown indicated by a glowing white energy that appears within Terra’s free hand when it’s ready. It takes about 18 seconds for Cura to charge. In addition, the charge effect stacks. When uncharged, Cura will restore 2% and provide Terra with a free charge. When charged, Cura will restore 5% and provide Terra with two charges. Using this ability sparingly to stack its charges is incredibly effective.

Standard Ground Attacks

Jab: Terra makes two elegant thrusts of her blade toward the opponent, finishing with a swift slash. Inflicts low damage with fairly low priority but has decent speed and decent range due to her sword.

Forward Tilt, Fire+Blizzard+Thunder Combo: At a medium distance away from her (possibly 4 feet?), Terra performs a swift combo of three weak spells—Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder in succession for moderate damage. Good priority but completely disjointed, disregarding Terra’s body. In its charged state, the range and damage slightly increase with kill power at very high percent (generally 180% and up).

Up Tilt: Terra waves her sword up above her head to protect from above. Inflicts low damage with fairly low priority but has decent speed and decent range due to her sword.

Down Tilt: Terra makes a long thrust of her blade while crouched, resulting in a slight launch effect. Inflicts low damage with fairly low priority but has decent speed and decent range due to her sword.

Dash Attack, Haste: Using her magic to carry her at high speed, Terra dashes forth with her body being turned into a weak hitbox for a short number of frames. Afterward, this move provides a similar effect to Palutena’s Lightweight custom move, increasing her move speed to something like Palutena’s default run speed. In its uncharged state however, the move lasts for 10 seconds yet also does not inflict a movement speed decrease debuff after use. In its charged state, this move still deals low damage but increases Terra’s movespeed by even more than this (about Shiek’s move speed) for 15 seconds. Unlike many other dash attacks, players must remember to use Haste very sparingly. Overuse can deny the Terra player her own charge as well as deny her a superior movement option at key moments.

Forward Smash, Flare: From a medium distance away from her (possibly 4 feet?), Terra focuses a spherical explosive blast with good priority, multiple hits, and strong kill power. This is one of her main kill moves. In its uncharged state, the range of the explosive sphere is not great but it remains potent. In its charged state, the range increases considerably and also increases in damage and kill power. It can be confirmed through Terra’s forward tilt if the final hit of forward tilt is canceled. It’s a strong move yet completely neglects Terra’s body with its extreme disjoint. Has considerable end lag.

Up Smash, Thundara: Directly in front of her, Terra summons a lightning bolt. This is similar to Pikachu’s down special however with half the range and less protection of the body. In its uncharged state, the attack moves the opponent down to the base of the hitbox and launches them forward diagonally with good kill power. In its charged state, the vertical range doubles with increased killpower.

Down Smash: Swiftly, Terra strikes forward with a piercing thrust while kicking backward with her sharp heel. It covers both her sides with decent priority and decent range due to the length of her sword. Lacks damage and kill power however.

Standard Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air: While in the air, Terra twirls around while striking with multiple elegant slashes of her blade for multiple hits. Low priority and low damage with a lingering hitbox that covers Terra’s body.

Forward Air: While in the air, Terra thrusts her blade forward for low damage and with low priority. The move is quick however with decent range due to her sword.

Back Air: While in the air, Terra thrusts her blade backward for low damage and with low priority. The move is quick however with decent range due to her sword.

Up Air, Graviga: Up above her, Terra creates a sphere of attracting gravity which draws all targets that are near toward it with a suction effect. It functions as a trap, completely devoid of killpower but dealing multiple weak hits to all enemies caught within it. In its uncharged state, the trap remains for 3 seconds and will retain any caught enemies within its area for the next 1.5 seconds while dealing multiple hits without any knockback. In its charged state, the trap remains for 5 seconds, retain caught enemies within its area for next 2 seconds while dealing multiple hits with no knockback, and even decreases the weight of targets trapped inside. With the added weight debuff, Terra can easily follow up her charged Graviga with a forward aerial or back aerial for a kill at higher percents (generally 180% and up).

Down Air, Meteor: Terra hurls three small and slow moving meteors beneath her, sending them moving at a downward and diagonal angle with the gradually moving apart. This is a strong off-stage projectile. In its uncharged state, the meteors launch the opponent diagonally forward and up with moderate kill potential. In its charged state, the meteors move faster, are slightly larger in size, and spike downward. A charged Terra is something for her opponent to fear while they are off-stage.

Grab and Pummel

Grab: Terra commands a miniature tornado locks her opponent within the blades of its wind.

Pummel: Terra increases the intensity of the Tornado spell for a pummel. Unaffected by charge.

Forward Throw: Terra forces the Tornado forward, inflicting multi-hit damage and knocking her target into other opponents to spread the damage. Unaffected by charge.

Back Throw: Terra flings the opponent within the Tornado backward and combos with a Holy spell. Five holy bolts are shot at the opponent for great damage. Unaffected by charge.

Up Throw: Terra forces the Tornado upward, inflicting multi-hit damage and knocking her target into other opponents to spread the damage. Unaffected by charge.

Down Throw: Terra combos the Tornado spell with a Graviga spell. A large sphere of gravity is hurled onto her opponent, dealing weak multiple hits and keeping them in place for 3 seconds similar to her uncharged up aerial attack. Deals no knockback but can be followed up. Unaffected by charge.

Terra’s Final Smash is a transformation move. After performing trance, she takes the form of an esper and is granted increased move speed and an altered moveset. For the most part, her moves are similar however sword moves are replaced for claw slash moves with increased damage. In addition to this, her previous forward smash Flare is replaced for a new forward smash called Riot Blade. Riot Blade is a mult-hit move that covers the range that Flare extends to but everything in between it and Terra’s body as well. The higher Terra’s percent is, the more killpower and damage it gains.

Other

Side Taunt: Terra takes out a moogle and proceeds to hug and cuddle it lovingly, speaking the line “Have you ever seen anything so fluffy?”

Up Taunt: Terra takes out a piece of magicite and as the image of her father Madiun appears before her, she smiles. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...duinFF6.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20110306081203

Down Taunt: Terra shyly looks down with her arms behind her and speaks the line “I suppose a normal girl would have felt something from those words…”

Victory Pose 1: Terra undoes the ribbon which ties her hair, abandoning it in the wind and allowing her hair to flow free just like in the ending of Final Fantasy VI https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VI-(by-Blastinus)/Update 47/1-25072011_134100.png

Victory Pose 2: Terra unleashes her esper form, entering the pose and expression of this concept art piece by Yo****aka Amano. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...raesper.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20120725071632

Victory Pose 3: Twirling downward in her descent, Terra lands and poses with her daintily clutched fist to her chest speaking the line “I promised I’d keep the world safe… and I will!”

Entrance: Terra appears onto the battlefield with her magitek armor, descending down from it. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...est/scale-to-width-down/300?cb=20120725082049

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I edited the original post a bit and changed a bit of the second argument.
It's also far less cluttered, so you can enjoy reading any section at any time!

Default Costume

Alternate Costume

Summary

Stats

Specials

Standard Ground Attacks

Standard Aerial Attacks

Grab and Pummel

Other

Side Taunt: Terra takes out a moogle and proceeds to hug and cuddle it lovingly, speaking the line “Have you ever seen something so fluffy?”

Added your moveset in the original post too!

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Yo Xeno, I saw this thread and I like to be a supporter if it's okay.

I would absolutely love to see Terra make a drop in for Smash. I played Lucina and I always go by with her dark green hair and pink cape alternate. Though it's meant to reference Tiki, it also references Terra in my eyes.

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game overall, but Terra is my favorite Final Fantasy protagonist. And if I ever play that PS4 Dissidia game, you'd bet I'm going to main Terra like how I did back in the PSP adventures.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yo Xeno, I saw this thread and I like to be a supporter if it's okay.

I would absolutely love to see Terra make a drop in for Smash. I played Lucina and I always go by with her dark green hair and pink cape alternate. Though it's meant to reference Tiki, it also references Terra in my eyes.

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game overall, but Terra is my favorite Final Fantasy protagonist. And if I ever play that PS4 Dissidia game, you'd bet I'm going to main Terra like how I did back in the PSP adventures.
Of course! Just click either option and you will automatically be considered a supporter!

I didn't get Dissidia NT yet, but I'll easily main her. I played as her in the beta and when I played Dissidia 012 and she was very fun. Her playstyle suits me in a game like that. I'd main her in Smash, too.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
So if Cloud were to return and Terra would hopefully join him, what assist trophies, items, and stages do you guys think would be included along with them for this entry of Smash?

Phoenix Down I think is an obvious choice for an item. After picking it up, it would save the user from any killing blow and nullify the damage of that killing blow. Maybe it would also add a small heal on top of that?

D

Deleted member

So if Cloud were to return and Terra would hopefully join him, what assist trophies, items, and stages do you guys think would be included along with them for this entry of Smash?

Phoenix Down I think is an obvious choice for an item. After picking it up, it would save the user from any killing blow and nullify the damage of that killing blow. Maybe it would also add a small heal on top of that?
Assist Trophies I can see them be summons like Ramuh or Bahamut or characters like Tifa or Sabin for example.
If Cloud comes back, I wouldn't be surprised if Midgar returns with him. For an FF6 stage, I was thinking of an area like Narshe for how prominent it is in FF6's story. I'm not sure how the stage will be laid out (honestly I am not the best at imagining stages), but I can see the hazards being knights from the Empire using Magitek Armor.
Phoenix Down is a pretty good item choice, but I see it being the most like the Fairy item, which restores health if over 100% and in the Zelda games they revive Link if he dies.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I actually think this cliff of Narshe from the opening of the game would make a fantastic basis for a stage layout. Because it's a cliff, it easily works with the concept of ledges and pits. The town of Narshe would be visible in the far distance.

For stage hazards, I'd like to see Kefka as a stage boss. As he appears in god form, his light of judgement would strike and the palette would shift to something bleak and neutral. You'd hear his iconic cackle upon his entrance. When one player gets the kill on him, they'd earn a point (or an extra stock) and balance would return to the world which would bring it back to its default state.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
She's not kefka.

She's not Kefka at all.
I've seen this before but I thought I'd share my thoughts on why Terra and not Kefka. I personally think that Kefka is more suited toward being a boss character since being the antagonist is more his role. If Sakurai wanted to include content from Final Fantasy VI and chose one character, I think it would be odd for him to allow players to control Kefka of all choices. Kefka is playable in the Dissidia games but that's because it's a fighting game that's all about the heroes vs. the villains.

Aside from that, I also wanted to move forth the topic into music! I have a lot of interesting ideas for how they could do the music if Terra were to be added alongside Cloud in Smash Switch. If there were to be a Narshe stage, it would feature not just music from Final Fantasy VI but also stuff from I-V and IX. Meanwhile, the returning Midgar stage would not just feature songs from Final Fantasy VII but VIII and X-XV. I'm not sure if it would work out negotiation-wise with Square Enix but that would be my dream at least. The below one would be a nice retro pick.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've seen this before but I thought I'd share my thoughts on why Terra and not Kefka. I personally think that Kefka is more suited toward being a boss character since being the antagonist is more his role. If Sakurai wanted to include content from Final Fantasy VI and chose one character, I think it would be odd for him to allow players to control Kefka of all choices. Kefka is playable in the Dissidia games but that's because it's a fighting game that's all about the heroes vs. the villains.
Kefka is a popular villain no doubt about that, but I would find it odd if Kefka was playable before Terra or even Sephiroth for that matter. In an interview in regards to Cloud's inclusion, Sakurai did name drop Terra as a possible FF candidate, so she would be prioritized over Kefka.
Nomura: When we first talked, I asked “are you sure you’re okay with Cloud?” He’s not a character from a new game, after all.

Sakurai: But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it’s hard to come up with a choice that’s not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn’t know who those characters are.
At the end of the day, Cloud was chosen over Terra because... well... he's Cloud.
Admittedly reading the last bit is disheartening, but I do feel like Sakurai underestimates 6's popularity, especially here in the west.

On the topic of Kefka, I can see him be a boss type character like Yellow Devil or Ridley or he could be an Assist Trophy. My concept of the latter is that he is half the time really silly and useless... and the other half is decimating any enemies with Judgement Bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Yeah, I don't think FFVI is very popular in Japan. But Little Mac was chosen for Smash 4 despite Japan's disinterest in him.

PKmeloa

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3394-3640-7660
YES SO MUCH. Terra is easily one of my most wanted characters for Smash Bros, she has so many unique attributes as well. I was honestly hoping to put Esper Terra into her moveset, but I doubt Sakurai would want to go back to transforming moves.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Have a good E3 guys! I'm trying to lower my expectations here while hoping our girl Terra the best.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I hope Sakurai goes full on Villager and puts Terra in. Cloud is a great character and FF7 is my 3rd favorite FF but good god. Him over the central character of the best selling game for the SNES? Sakurai, you insane.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
This is the only character that uses a sword that I'd actually be interested in playing as.
I don't see it happening ever... but man, I love FFVI so much.
Amanos designs are so much nicer and whimsy-er than Nomuras.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice

item:
White materia - Heals HP by 30%, or cures them of flower, pitfall, whatever

Magicite - Similar to the stage "hazard" from Midgar

assist:

Cait Sith - a routelette character. He either helps or doesn't

Gogo - Mimics the opposing character against them

Gau - Fwooo! hops around the opponents annoying them (random touch: he speaks in FFVI dialogue and appears as a sprite like 3ds flying man)

Stages:

Narshe - As iconinic as Midgar

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Final Fantasy XV for my PS4. But, I'm planning on getting Final Fantasy Explorers for my 3DS. I support!

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Just finished Final Fantasy VI for the first time and I wouldn't mind seeing Terra in Smash especially since she was considered once already. Consider me a supporter.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would have preferred Terra to Cloud. But a lot of fans didn't get into the series until FF7.

FF6 is my favorite.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Honestly the only reason I decided to get into Final Fantasy was because a couple weeks ago I was bored, turned on my SNES mini, noticed Final Fantasy VI (was called III on it) and thought meh, why not? It was definitely an enjoyable ride though and I would consider it a great retro game.

Top Bottom