• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Innocent Magitek Knight Summons to Battle: Terra Branford for Smash Ultimate! Searching For Friends

Are you willing to join the Returners?

• Total voters

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
No Terra just yet. I almost thought I was right for a moment with all those Final Fantasy announcements toward the end of the presentation.

It's very interesting that Isabelle is counted as a newcomer though and not an echo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was with you on that, I even thought I wonder if Carrill is getting some good vibes from all these final fantasy trailers.
Ahh, alas there was only one character. I have to rewatch how isabelle playss..

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I wonder what Isabelle being an echo means for the Neogaf leak. That particular leaker claimed that Isabelle was an echo not a unique character.

It could be a Gematsu-like situation where the leaker claimed Chorus Kids and Chrom but those characters were scrapped later in development. The leak was real but the information became outdated as time passed and the game changed. Maybe Isabelle was originally conceived as an echo but became more unique in ways later on like a Luigified clone. She certainly seems to share some similarities with Villager.

SabreManectric

Smash Rookie
NNID
AntimonyHoundoom
I dont think this discounts the neogaf or vergeben leaks. I was surprised that Isabelle is considered her own fighter. its probably a dr mario situation and its easy to misinterpret her as an echo

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I personally would only disregard the neogaf leak when someone like Bandana Dee or Incineroar is revealed. Someone that was not mentioned by them at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
that was a surprising number of final fantasy games i think my bank account will take a hit as i buy all bar 12 maybe 7

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
While I'm disappointed Terra wasn't used as a capstone to the hype reveals of FFVII, IX, X, and XII coming to Switch, I'm still excited over the fact that holy **** we actually have post-VI FF titles on Nintendo now.

Regardless of Isabelle, I'm stoked for the currently-blossoming relationship between Nintendo and SE. We can only hope that Terra for Smash is one of them.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Personally I kind of like that it goes against leaks. But It still could be like youre saying, that she was going to be an echo but then changed.
I'm glad she's unique, even if I have a few mixed feelings about other things around this.
Either way, I'm both happy and disappointed. And I still believe in characters like Terra.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
The pipe dream just got a bit more real and since Terra (or Tina if we're going purist) is one of my favorite FF characters along with Kain and Celes, I guess that sorta makes me a Returner?

Anyway, I hope FF6 is a step closer to getting a well-deserved remake because the game's ports are really flawed. Just can't beat the Super Famicom / Patched-up SNES version.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do think it's still a good sign to show all that final fantasy stuff for the switch. Getting people to dip in the FF waters, you know?
Dunno, just saying, it's not a bad thing to see that in the direct, including for the future reveals :)

D

Deleted member

I am genuinely surprised and very hyped when I saw the Final Fantasy part. One massive section dedicated to Final Fantasy... with announcements like FF12: The Zodiac Age AND 7, 9, and 10/10-2 coming to Switch? That's incredible! My heart was racing at that moment!

Terra wasn't confirmed today, but this leads to brighter futures I feel like.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
-I SUPPORT-
I have been really looking into the Final Fantasy series recently and I would 100% be willing to have Final Fantasy Characters past Cloud​

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I would like to give my support for Terra too.
I am a huge FF Fan since my childhood and I rly rly want to see another FF character in Smash besides Cloud since he is not rly my favorite one.
Since I am not expecting Tidus or Squall, I am currently hoping for Black Mage/Vivi, Noctis or in this case Terra.
One of those 3 would make a great addition to our roster imo. I kinda hope that the mentioned leak above was just getting outdated information so we can have Terra as our second rep. for FF...
And also Kefka as a stage hazard would be rly cool (pls have your iconic laugh).
Also more FF music would be awesome...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would think all those final fantasy ports do boost her chances for the future if she's not in the base game

as well as the chances for zidane, tidus and noctis

ChameleonD98

Smash Rookie
Seeing all the ports definitely boosted my hopes that she could conceivably make it in, and here's my take: I'm not gonna stop hoping she could make it in this one until the last batch of DLC comes out.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Throw me on the support list. Terra should be the next Final Fantasy character and I really want a mage zoner done right in Smash.

...and Robin doesn't count because you're not a mage if you can't spam spells :D

max_0888

Smash Cadet
It would be awesome if she could do fire, blizzard or Thunder in her moves. With all the New final fantasy coming to switch im trying to stay optimistic. If Geno is the square rep for the base roster, I could see Terra/Celes being in as DLC along Kefka for the boss mode and a chocobo as assist trophy.

Tsondere

Smash Rookie
She easily deserves the spot. Well fitting and fantastic character, Square-Enix even gave Terra and Bartz willingly to Sakurai even though Cloud was chosen in the end.

I'll keep my hopes up, even though characters like Geno might ultimately be chosen due to rather weird and ridiculous demand.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Good news Terra fans! Corocoro has leaked that there will be a total of 108 stages in the game. Could each of the 5 new stages possibly be for newcomers? Could one of them be Narshe possibly? Maybe even the 5 stages are for Terra, Lloyd, Sable, Monster Hunter, and Isaac which are the 5 remaining unique newcomers that the Neogaf leak claims to be in the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...rocoro_scan_reveals_there_will_be_108_stages/

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys so since I think it was yesterday there was something officially confirmed which might finally put an end to the FF7 logo BS argument. We all know that this game is not final and things are getting changed here and there.

Yesterday character renders were updated, for example: Palutena's face was "fixed" (thx for that lol) and various other quality changes were made. So what's my point? This shows that the smash team CAN CHANGE STUFF FROM THE WEBSITE DUUUUUUH WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

So basically, when they want to announce Terra, they could easily just remove the FF7 Logo and make it "Final Fantasy" as generic Franchise for the entire FF series.
So that's kinda good news to us so people can hopefully stop bringing that stupid argument up.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I always said that tho. Being called "Final Fantasy" would raise up anger or raise up arguments about Cloud being representative of ALL FF or that there's another character and Terra or Noctis would just be a shoo in. I don't think Nintendo wants that.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
She easily deserves the spot. Well fitting and fantastic character, Square-Enix even gave Terra and Bartz willingly to Sakurai even though Cloud was chosen in the end.

I'll keep my hopes up, even though characters like Geno might ultimately be chosen due to rather weird and ridiculous demand.
I feel like people pick Geno because it's a safe decision

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Even if Terra is revealed, I don't think they'll change the "FFVII" series logo because I honestly don't think it's even important. They also used a Bayonetta 2 logo on the website instead of a generic Bayonetta logo. Besides, the series logo in-game is still an "FF" logo instead of a Meteor so at best, the FFVII logo on the website is just sending mixed messages and you can't really say for sure whether Cloud is only representing FFVII or not.

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Even if Terra is revealed, I don't think they'll change the "FFVII" series logo because I honestly don't think it's even important. They also used a Bayonetta 2 logo on the website instead of a generic Bayonetta logo. Besides, the series logo in-game is still an "FF" logo instead of a Meteor so at best, the FFVII logo on the website is just sending mixed messages and you can't really say for sure whether Cloud is only representing FFVII or not.
Yeah exactly. I personally couldn't care less about that stupid argument. It's just now that we have it even officially proven, people can finally understand that the logo doesn't mean anything. Let's just wait and hope that Terra will join the fun!
I have a good feeling about her inclusion, even if it's not in the base roster I could still see her happening as DLC later.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I agree, in fact I think if Terra were confirmed to be playable, she'd have her own character section on the site representing Final Fantasy VI. Smash seems to treat Cloud as a representative of the game Final Fantasy VII itself, with the music selection calling the two FF tracks as part of FFVII and not the franchise itself, the E3 Direct using the FFVII to represent FF in the "gaming franchises collide" image, and Cloud's own reveal trailer treating his confirmation as part of a Smash x Final Fantasy VII crossover.

With how the Final Fantasy franchise often considers its own installments as part of their own respective universes, I could imagine SE and/or Nintendo doing the same for Cloud and Terra, even if they would (undoubtedly) use the same series logo in-game.

D

Deleted member

I agree with this as well.
I can see it go either way where Terra would represent Final Fantasy VI or they will change the logo to Final Fantasy so that she and Cloud would represent the FF franchise as a whole instead of one game.
I don't find the FF7 logo to completely disprove Terra because things can change over time. I have to say that making the fighter series logo an "FF" and having Cloud represent FF7 specifically makes my head hurt in a way.

ChameleonD98

Smash Rookie
So... I gave in... Couldn't help it anymore. xD
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JEALOUSY INTENSIFIES!!!!

I'm partially kidding. I am KINDA jealous, but that's really cool that you managed to get it. :)

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Sheesh did this topic got popular since the last time I wasn't on here. Anything particular Sakurai said that made this blow up?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sheesh did this topic got popular since the last time I wasn't on here. Anything particular Sakurai said that made this blow up?
Aside from FFs 7, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12 coming to Switch along with a slew of remastered ports of older spinoff games in the series, nothing else has really shown up lately. There's been rumors going about that Sora might actually be the hidden Square Enix character Verg has mentioned, but most people aren't certain on that yet.

D

Deleted member

Aside from FFs 7, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12 coming to Switch along with a slew of remastered ports of older spinoff games in the series, nothing else has really shown up lately. There's been rumors going about that Sora might actually be the hidden Square Enix character Verg has mentioned, but most people aren't certain on that yet.
Speaking of which, we won't know who this character is for quite some time because revealing who it is will cause many employees to lose their jobs according to Verg.
There's also this too where SE is trying to weed out any would be leakers...

Anyways, I rather not talk too much about any sort of leaks. Instead, I will link to something I wanted to a while ago but I had no time to.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...takes_indefinite_break_due_to_health_problems
I certainly hope that Mr. Uematsu has a nice long break. The soundtracks he composes, especially that in FF6, are very legendary.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of which, we won't know who this character is for quite some time because revealing who it is will cause many employees to lose their jobs according to Verg.
There's also this too where SE is trying to weed out any would be leakers...

Anyways, I rather not talk too much about any sort of leaks. Instead, I will link to something I wanted to a while ago but I had no time to.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...takes_indefinite_break_due_to_health_problems
I certainly hope that Mr. Uematsu has a nice long break. The soundtracks he composes, especially that in FF6, are very legendary.
Don't hear any news of the guy who said "yes" to a Sora in smash question being kicked out of Square Enix/Disney so I doubt it if that's the case
(edit: Shoot, wrong guy)

Last edited:

ChameleonD98

Smash Rookie
Y'know, call me crazy, but I've been thinking a lot about the NeoGAF leak, and that all points back to one big thing: The Rathalos, and its "appearance as a boss". I have two possible guesses.

A: The Rathalos is a STAGE boss for a Monster Hunter stage. While yes, not every single series in Smash Bros. that has a stage has a fighter to go with said stage, but I feel like it's different here. While most of those fighter-less stages (Nintendog, Hanenbow, etc) are mostly "dead" or at least really obscure,low priority IP's, Monster Hunter is far from being either of those. It's one of Capcom's best-selling franchises, and Monster Hunter World, in particular, is THE best-selling game in their HISTORY! So I just think it would make sense if Capcom didn't give Sakurai just a stage, a couple songs, and the Rathalos as an assist and a glorified hazard. Wouldn't you think there could plausibly be a fighter to go with that? Along with this,it's a third-party franchise, and I can't really picture a big third-party franchise getting just a stage and no fighter. Like, we didn't get JUST Green Hill Zone without Sonic, Suzaku Castle without Ryu, Dracula's Castle without the Belmonts, etc.

B: The "Spirits Mode" is indeed some kinda Subspace Emissary-esque Story mode, and the Rathalos is a boss THERE. In SSE, all of the bosses that were fought there (with the exception of the original bosses, like Galleom and, of course, Tabuu) were from series that were already represented with fighters. Petey Piranha(Mario), Porky(Mother), Rayquaza(Pokemon),and Ridley(Metroid). So if the Rathalos is a STORY boss, I can't see there being only Mario, Link, and Marth/whatever assortment of Nintendo characters fighting it WITHOUT a Hunter joining the fray to help them.

So yeah, maybe this is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a desperate fanboy,but I can't help being optimistic and HOPEFUL that the Rathalos, one way or another, will point to Monster Hunter joining the roster,and that will point to Terra.

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
^I'd be shocked if there wasn't more Monster Hunter content.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Hmm... any thoughts on Terra as an Assist Trophy?

Like, of course I want her playable, but I think she's a long shot. But as an Assist Trophy? Square doesn't have one of their own, and it seems likely that all the 3rd Party companies will get at least one Assist Trophy. Terra -has- to be the top-requested non-FF7 character, maybe Sakurai will allow her in that way?

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Eh, I think Sephiroth or Tifa is more likely to show up as an assist trophy than Terra, especially if FF7 continues to be the only Final Fantasy game represented.

D

Deleted member

I agree that if FF got an Assist Trophy, I would think it would be someone from FF7 or a mascot first instead of a mainline protagonist.
I mean if Terra got in as an AT... ehh. It's better than nothing, but it makes me crave or a playable version even more.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
If there's a ff7 character as an assist trophy, then who cares?

Castlevania:
A SoTN playable character, a SoTN/Castlevania 3 assist trophy, and an NES Castlevania playable character

FF:
Cloud, Cait Sith or Moogle, Terra

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
At the very least, it would likely make a lot more people interested in the idea of Terra as a playable character if she appears in Smash in some form other than a fighter. I'd be happy to see her make it in at all, at any rate.

But I really don't expect it to happen considering FF content so far is (seemingly intentionally) limited to just FFVII.

Top Bottom