• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ideal patch: Wario

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
Wario has overall good mobility, power and survivability, but ultimately falls short due to a general lack of combos as well as a questionable special moveset arsenal. However in this thread, I would like to focus less on his specials, and more on improving his strength in mobility, and giving him some better tools for comboing, as well as better frame data. Also improved range on a couple of his aerials.

Disclaimers:
This thread is part of a project I am doing to create a final balance patch for every fighter in the game, focused mainly on buffs rather than nerfs. I am not, nor do I claim to be an expert on Wario, so there may be some issues with these patch notes. Please do be polite when pointing them out, as I do work very hard on researching for these.
Although it is unlikely we will get another patch, rumours of a port for the Switch do give us hope that there might be one, and the recent 1.1.7 patch shows the game devs haven't forgotten about the game, so please don't tell me 'there won't be another patch, so why bother thinking about it!'

Attributes
Run speed: 1.5 -> 1.62
Walk speed: 0.847 -> 0.94
Air speed: 1.21 -> 1.23
Jumpsquat: 6 frames -> 5 frames

Summary: For a fighter who is seemingly supposed to be fairly mobile, Wario has disappointing ground speed. I've given him a slightly above average run speed, but kept his walk speed below average (making it the same as Falcon's), since it seems as though he was intended to not have a great walk speed. These changes while small will help him recover from his apparent Jigglypuff syndrome, by giving him decent ground mobility, while not making it too good. As for the air speed and jumpsquat, I'll get to that later.

Ground moves
Jab 1 startup lag: 7 frames -> 5 frames (FAF also 2 frames earlier)
Ftilt startup lag: 11 -> 10 (FAF also 1 frame earlier)
Utilt startup lag: 11 -> 9 (FAF also 2 frames earlier)
Dsmash (clean) damage: 13 -> 14.5

Summary: For some reason, Wario was given really bad frame data on his jabs and 2 of his tilts. I have significantly improved his jab frame data, but kept his up and forward tilt relatively slow due to their good damage outputs. I also improved the strength of his down smash.

Aerials
Nair hitbox details: Clean Nair's hitbox position is now similar to his late Nair hitbox, but larger (Size: 6.3). Late Nair hitbox size increased (4.5 -> 5.2)
Fair landing lag: 16 -> 12
Bair hitbox size: 5.5/3.5 -> 5.7/3.7

Summary: Nair's hitboxes are kind of a joke, so I've gone ahead and fixed them. Fair should not have as much landing lag as it does. I'll explain the Bair change later.

Throws
Dthrow angle: 130 -> 118
Dthrow KBG: 18 -> 22
Dthrow is interruptible 8 frames earlier

Summary: So the main purpose of this is to give Wario a combo out of his down throw into his Bair. The increased air speed, hitbox size on Bair and reduced Jumpsquat will make this easier to perform. This combo will work for quite a long time since the knockback scaling on his down throw is very low, but it is still balanced, as it is somewhat susceptible to DI, and his Bair is not particularly strong in comparison to other Bairs.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
He needs much better kill moves, Usmash, Fsmash, and ftilt should have much less endlag, if Mario and Luggy can have usmash's that are safe on shield, why can't Wario? Also his fair should be able to string into itself for good damage, and his fair should kill about 140-160, if Sheik's Fair can kill this early, why can't a heavy? Isn't that like their gimmick? To have a crap ton of kill power? His bair and uair should also kill so much earlier, give us brawl uair back, and make bair kill 20-30% earlier.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you missed my moveset changes to Wario, I'll just mention that there's a reason why I made the d-smash deal multiple hits, instead of a single hit; the multiple hits make the attack harder for enemies to punish.

I also made the standard attack's first hit deal fixed knockback, which helps Wario be able to land his second attack against higher damaged enemies.

And as MERPIS pointed out, Wario needs more KO power, which I gave to him with my own moveset hack; for one example, Wario's u-smash can now KO Mario at 93% damage when uncharged, while Wario-Man's u-smash makes the KO at 68% damage. Similarly, I made the b-throw much more effective as a KO move, now being able to make KOs sooner than Mario's b-throw, but it still KOs later than Mewtwo's b-throw.

If you want to see the other changes that I've made, refer to this thread.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
If you missed my moveset changes to Wario, I'll just mention that there's a reason why I made the d-smash deal multiple hits, instead of a single hit; the multiple hits make the attack harder for enemies to punish.

I also made the standard attack's first hit deal fixed knockback, which helps Wario be able to land his second attack against higher damaged enemies.

And as MERPIS pointed out, Wario needs more KO power, which I gave to him with my own moveset hack; for one example, Wario's u-smash can now KO Mario at 93% damage when uncharged, while Wario-Man's u-smash makes the KO at 68% damage. Similarly, I made the b-throw much more effective as a KO move, now being able to make KOs sooner than Mario's b-throw, but it still KOs later than Mewtwo's b-throw.

If you want to see the other changes that I've made, refer to this thread.
Wario does't really need a stronger usmash, its already stronger than Marios may might be stronger than ones like zelda and mewtwo, but it needs a huge endlag change, try buffering shield out of it, and you see how much lag it has, the amount of lag it has is downright stupid, 47 frames.

EDIT: I just tested it on Mayro, its weak af.

Another way to go about buffing wario's kill power is to nerf the knock back and growth of uthrow and give the animation more interrupt frames, this will give Wario a good combo throw throw, probably letting him lead into an utilt or usmash at early percents, bair, dair and nair at later percents, and uair at kill percents, we should also buff uair to kill a little later than Bowsers uair does, so at around 85-90-100 from a full jump and double jump's length, this will essentially give Wario a much needed kill confirm out of a throw at a really good percent, especially if he has rage, it also gives him a really good kill confirm into waft's headbutt. Best of all it could probably give wario an amazing killing blow at as low as 30% if he connects with wafts main hitbox out of uthrow

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wario does't really need a stronger usmash, its already stronger than Marios may might be stronger than ones like zelda and mewtwo, but it needs a huge endlag change, try buffering shield out of it, and you see how much lag it has, the amount of lag it has is downright stupid, 47 frames.

EDIT: I just tested it on Mayro, its weak af.
To be fair, Bowser's u-smash KOs sooner when sweetspotted, so it's not like my knockback buffs to Wario's u-smash make it the strongest standard fighter u-smash in the game; it now deals 17% damage, while Bowser's sweetspotted u-smash deals 20% damage.

Another way to go about buffing wario's kill power is to nerf the knock back and growth of uthrow and give the animation more interrupt frames, this will give Wario a good combo throw throw, probably letting him lead into an utilt or usmash at early percents, bair, dair and nair at later percents, and uair at kill percents, we should also buff uair to kill a little later than Bowsers uair does, so at around 85-90-100 from a full jump and double jump's length, this will essentially give Wario a much needed kill confirm out of a throw at a really good percent, especially if he has rage, it also gives him a really good kill confirm into waft's headbutt. Best of all it could probably give wario an amazing killing blow at as low as 30% if he connects with wafts main hitbox out of uthrow
I actually made the u-throw be a more effective KO move, KOing Mario at 165% damage (90% damage for Wario-Man). As for the d-throw, I altered its knockback so that Wario can perform follow-ups more easily against fighters who have low damage.

In regards to the u-air, I didn't go overboard with the knockback buffing for that move, as I raised its BKB to 40, and its KBG to 80, while also setting the knockback angle to 90 (straight up); it basically KOs Mario on the center Battlefield platform at around 126% damage (93% damage for Wario-Man).

If you're curious about the KO percentages for my modified Wario moveset, I did record most of them during my tests before releasing my adjustments. There may be some inaccurate inputs, however, especially with the multi-hitting attacks that deal horizontal knockback.

Wario KO%

vs. Mario

n-tilt: 181% (all 2 hits)
f-tilt: 125% (stage center + ground hit)
u-tilt: 138% (ground hit + clean)
u-tilt: 335% (ground hit + late)
d-tilt: 242% (stage center + ground hit)
dash: 160% (clean)
f-smash: 82% (stage center uncharged + ground hit)
f-smash: 47% (stage center full charge + ground hit)
u-smash: 93% (uncharged + ground hit)
u-smash: 57% (full charge + ground hit)
d-smash: 123% (all 12 hits uncharged + stage center)
d-smash: 90% (all 12 hits full charge + stage center)
n-air: 161% (stage center + ground hit + clean)
n-air: 216% (stage center + ground hit + late)
f-air: 142% (stage center + ground hit + clean)
f-air: 190% (stage center + ground hit + late)
b-air: 130% (stage center + ground hit)
u-air: 126% (center Battlefield platform + ground hit)
d-air: 158% (all 7 hits + stage center)
d-air: 221% (stage center + landing)
f-throw: 124% (stage edge)
b-throw: 108% (stage edge)
b-throw: 157% (collateral + stage center)
u-throw: 165% (all 2 hits)
d-throw: 258% (all 2 hits + stage edge)

Floor Attack (face up): 243% (stage edge)
Floor Attack (face down): 243% (stage edge)
Floor Attack (slip): 243% (stage edge)

Chomp: 110% (13 hits + stage edge)
Inhaling Chomp: 127% (8 hits + stage edge)
Garlic Breath: 103% (all 21 hits + stage center)
Garlic Breath: 111% (13 hits + stage center)
Corkscrew: 145% (all 13 hits + stage center)
Widescrew: 123% (all 13 hits + stage center)
Wario Waft (full): 33% (stage center + gas)
Wario Waft (full): 60% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Wario Waft (lv 3): 81% (20% damage + stage center)
Wario Waft (lv 2): 133% (10% damage + stage edge)
Rose-Scented Waft (full): 98% (stage center + gas)
Rose-Scented Waft (full): 122% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Rose-Scented Waft (lv 3): 150% (18% damage + stage center)
Rose-Scented Waft (lv 2): 202% (12% damage + stage edge)
Quick Waft (full): 114% (stage center + gas)
Quick Waft (full): 168% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Quick Waft (lv 3): 196% (13% damage + stage center)
-------------------
Wario-Man KO%

vs. Mario

f-tilt: 88% (stage center + ground hit)
u-tilt: 95% (ground hit + clean)
d-tilt: 164% (stage center + ground hit)
dash: 112%
f-smash: 56% (stage center uncharged + ground hit)
f-smash: 25% (stage center full charge + ground hit)
u-smash: 68% (uncharged + ground hit)
u-smash: 37% (full charge + ground hit)
d-smash: 78% (all 12 hits uncharged + stage center)
d-smash: 47% (all 12 hits full charge + stage center)
n-air: 93% (stage center + clean)
f-air: 88% (stage center + clean)
b-air: 84% (stage center)
u-air: 93% (center Battlefield platform + ground hit)
d-air: 108% (stage center + landing)
f-throw: 113% (stage center)
b-throw: 72% (stage center)
b-throw: 120% (collateral + stage center)
u-throw: 90% (all 2 hits)
d-throw: 109% (all 2 hits + stage edge)

Chomp: 82% (12 hits + stage center)
Corkscrew: 85% (ground hit)
Corkscrew: 72% (center Battlefield platform + ground hit)
Wario Waft (full): 0% (stage center + gas)
Wario Waft (full): 25% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Wario Waft (lv 3): 39% (30% damage + stage center)

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
To be fair, Bowser's u-smash KOs sooner when sweetspotted, so it's not like my knockback buffs to Wario's u-smash make it the strongest standard fighter u-smash in the game; it now deals 17% damage, while Bowser's sweetspotted u-smash deals 20% damage.

I actually made the u-throw be a more effective KO move, KOing Mario at 165% damage (90% damage for Wario-Man). As for the d-throw, I altered its knockback so that Wario can perform follow-ups more easily against fighters who have low damage.

In regards to the u-air, I didn't go overboard with the knockback buffing for that move, as I raised its BKB to 40, and its KBG to 80, while also setting the knockback angle to 90 (straight up); it basically KOs Mario on the center Battlefield platform at around 126% damage (93% damage for Wario-Man).

If you're curious about the KO percentages for my modified Wario moveset, I did record most of them during my tests before releasing my adjustments. There may be some inaccurate inputs, however, especially with the multi-hitting attacks that deal horizontal knockback.

Wario KO%

vs. Mario

n-tilt: 181% (all 2 hits)
f-tilt: 125% (stage center + ground hit)
u-tilt: 138% (ground hit + clean)
u-tilt: 335% (ground hit + late)
d-tilt: 242% (stage center + ground hit)
dash: 160% (clean)
f-smash: 82% (stage center uncharged + ground hit)
f-smash: 47% (stage center full charge + ground hit)
u-smash: 93% (uncharged + ground hit)
u-smash: 57% (full charge + ground hit)
d-smash: 123% (all 12 hits uncharged + stage center)
d-smash: 90% (all 12 hits full charge + stage center)
n-air: 161% (stage center + ground hit + clean)
n-air: 216% (stage center + ground hit + late)
f-air: 142% (stage center + ground hit + clean)
f-air: 190% (stage center + ground hit + late)
b-air: 130% (stage center + ground hit)
u-air: 126% (center Battlefield platform + ground hit)
d-air: 158% (all 7 hits + stage center)
d-air: 221% (stage center + landing)
f-throw: 124% (stage edge)
b-throw: 108% (stage edge)
b-throw: 157% (collateral + stage center)
u-throw: 165% (all 2 hits)
d-throw: 258% (all 2 hits + stage edge)

Floor Attack (face up): 243% (stage edge)
Floor Attack (face down): 243% (stage edge)
Floor Attack (slip): 243% (stage edge)

Chomp: 110% (13 hits + stage edge)
Inhaling Chomp: 127% (8 hits + stage edge)
Garlic Breath: 103% (all 21 hits + stage center)
Garlic Breath: 111% (13 hits + stage center)
Corkscrew: 145% (all 13 hits + stage center)
Widescrew: 123% (all 13 hits + stage center)
Wario Waft (full): 33% (stage center + gas)
Wario Waft (full): 60% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Wario Waft (lv 3): 81% (20% damage + stage center)
Wario Waft (lv 2): 133% (10% damage + stage edge)
Rose-Scented Waft (full): 98% (stage center + gas)
Rose-Scented Waft (full): 122% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Rose-Scented Waft (lv 3): 150% (18% damage + stage center)
Rose-Scented Waft (lv 2): 202% (12% damage + stage edge)
Quick Waft (full): 114% (stage center + gas)
Quick Waft (full): 168% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Quick Waft (lv 3): 196% (13% damage + stage center)
-------------------
Wario-Man KO%

vs. Mario

f-tilt: 88% (stage center + ground hit)
u-tilt: 95% (ground hit + clean)
d-tilt: 164% (stage center + ground hit)
dash: 112%
f-smash: 56% (stage center uncharged + ground hit)
f-smash: 25% (stage center full charge + ground hit)
u-smash: 68% (uncharged + ground hit)
u-smash: 37% (full charge + ground hit)
d-smash: 78% (all 12 hits uncharged + stage center)
d-smash: 47% (all 12 hits full charge + stage center)
n-air: 93% (stage center + clean)
f-air: 88% (stage center + clean)
b-air: 84% (stage center)
u-air: 93% (center Battlefield platform + ground hit)
d-air: 108% (stage center + landing)
f-throw: 113% (stage center)
b-throw: 72% (stage center)
b-throw: 120% (collateral + stage center)
u-throw: 90% (all 2 hits)
d-throw: 109% (all 2 hits + stage edge)

Chomp: 82% (12 hits + stage center)
Corkscrew: 85% (ground hit)
Corkscrew: 72% (center Battlefield platform + ground hit)
Wario Waft (full): 0% (stage center + gas)
Wario Waft (full): 25% (center Battlefield platform + body)
Wario Waft (lv 3): 39% (30% damage + stage center)
bthrow's kill percentage seems sorta crazy, I love what you did to fthrow though, also what the heck is with that fair kill percentage, 142 at center stage is insane, I love it. Uair's KBG should be a little more though, maybe 110 rather than 126?

Last edited:
Top Bottom