• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ideal patch: Mewtwo

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a lot of changes to make to Mewtwo, just a couple tweaks to disable.

Disable Hitbox Active: 16-22 -> 13-23
Disable Hitbox Size: 2.34/3.0 -> 2.4/3.2
Disable FAF: 48 -> 45

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I'm confused as to why this is necessary/balanced... Disable being active on frame 13 and ending on frame 23 is actually kind of nuts, it broadens the window, which is currently rather tight. This window is currently perfect. Not too hard, not too easy. With this patch, it makes it far too easy. Things that can kill at 60% shouldn't be possible off of an easy OoS punish.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I understand where you are coming from. Disable is awesome, and it would be great if it could be used more reliably. Its already limited in the sense that the target must be grounded and facing Mewtwo so yeah, why not drop a bit of endlag or extend the HBactive?

BECAUSE DISABLE IS ALREADY TOO AWESOME. It is an extraordinarily potent tool for getting cheap kills while still being extremely difficult to setup, and that is completely within the ethos of Mewtwo's character.

If I were going to patch Mewtwo, I would focus on reducing endlag when ending teleport on the ground, and having Bair's hitbox come out a little earlier (a la Melee). Maybe a little less startup or endlag on Ftilt, but thats just an afterthought really.

Anyway, this is all moot right? Since there are no more balance patches coming? Or did I miss something?

Sonicninja115

I understand where you are coming from. Disable is awesome, and it would be great if it could be used more reliably. Its already limited in the sense that the target must be grounded and facing Mewtwo so yeah, why not drop a bit of endlag or extend the HBactive?

BECAUSE DISABLE IS ALREADY TOO AWESOME. It is an extraordinarily potent tool for getting cheap kills while still being extremely difficult to setup, and that is completely within the ethos of Mewtwo's character.

If I were going to patch Mewtwo, I would focus on reducing endlag when ending teleport on the ground, and having Bair's hitbox come out a little earlier (a la Melee). Maybe a little less startup or endlag on Ftilt, but thats just an afterthought really.

Anyway, this is all moot right? Since there are no more balance patches coming? Or did I miss something?
The only chance is the switch having an update.

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
There was a leak that the switch would have more DLC fighters in it, if that's the case then they will have to be released in an update, which could be the perfect opportunity for a final patch

As for the changes to disable, they are actually quite minor, and don't address the main handicaps the move has, being that the opponent must be facing Mewtwo, and that it doesn't confuse for very long. I only wanted to remove its other minor drawbacks so that the main two would be the only ones. As for buffing the rest of Mewtwo's moveset, MT is considered universally as a borderline top tier, and given that I am slightly nerfing them, I shouldn't buff MT too much.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

The main times disable is used is after a footstool and as a roll/ledge read. My main problem with it is that it makes the infinite easier.

Note: M2 is generally put at 7th, that could be borderline top tier, but I usually have that as 9th-12th.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
As for the changes to disable, they are actually quite minor, and don't address the main handicaps the move has, being that the opponent must be facing Mewtwo, and that it doesn't confuse for very long.
I disagree. I think those changes are pretty major, and dramatically reduce its punish-ability while increasing its usability. To be frank, it already disables for enough time to get a fully charged D-smash at around 70% so it is perfectly functional... extending it more than that would be totally OP.

That said, I would have liked to see some custom specials for MewTwo, perhaps with some variant disable's that could give us an idea of how they could be rebalanced, like a variant with longer range but less disable time, or perhaps a interruptor variant that works like counter, but still demands that the opponent be grounded and facing mewtwo to take the hit.

Last edited:

firstbones

Smash Rookie
NNID
firstbones
bumping a 5 months old post because im pretty bored and this is such a lively board lol: buffing disable is unnecessary as hell, on the contrary im scared about a potential nerf (idk, like you can't disable the opponent during their footstool animation). things id love are a faster jab (f6>5, im not asking much ;_; ), better faf on ftilt (f36>30, id be happy with 32 as well), a faster uair (f10>8) + its animation reflecting the actual hitbox and lastly a bair hitbox that starts a little lower (something like f13>10/11) akin to PM mewtwo's bair. also teleport with less startup and ending lag pls gibe us the melee version

this is just day dreaming though. the character is amazing rn, let's hope he doesn't get massively nerfed in sm4sh switch lol

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

bumping a 5 months old post because im pretty bored and this is such a lively board lol: buffing disable is unnecessary as hell, on the contrary im scared about a potential nerf (idk, like you can't disable the opponent during their footstool animation). things id love are a faster jab (f6>5, im not asking much ;_; ), better faf on ftilt (f36>30, id be happy with 32 as well), a faster uair (f10>8) + its animation reflecting the actual hitbox and lastly a bair hitbox that starts a little lower (something like f13>10/11) akin to PM mewtwo's bair. also teleport with less startup and ending lag pls gibe us the melee version

this is just day dreaming though. the character is amazing rn, let's hope he doesn't get massively nerfed in sm4sh switch lol
An animation fix would be amazing. that would be so nice...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yo!

Personally, aside from animation fixes, I wouldn't make any changes on Mewtwo and I also don't get the obsession of some people of wanting to make their fav character flawless. The way he is now, the good and the bad needs to stay. When you choose a character in a fighting game, you are compromising yourself at accepting both their strengths and weaknesses, for the sake of fairness and balance. Mewtwo is in a pretty good spot right now and his current power justifies his flaws much more proportionally.

Top Bottom