• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ice Climber Communitiy

What is Nana and Popo’s relationship?

• Close friends

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • Siblings

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • Lovers

Votes: 43 29.7%

• Total voters

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Ice Climbers should come back. They are so stupid and yet so wonderful, I miss them.
Um thanks?

Lol I’m guessing you’re referring to Nana falling off the edge like the klutz she is when losing Popo?

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The magic of Smash... I would’ve never cared or thought about these two without it. Consider me a supporter. The 3DS shall not ruin us this time!

Morbi

Scavenger
The magic of Smash... I would’ve never cared or thought about these two without it. Consider me a supporter. The 3DS shall not ruin us this time!
It was sad, I only started liking them around when they were removed. I was getting more into competitive play and enjoyed watching the salty tears that came from wobbling. Right as I was getting into them, "technical issues."

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
i gotta be frank dudes, someone in the smash switch general discussion is hardlocked that if 8-player Smash comes back for the Switch we'll get shafted by technical limitations again. Now personally I don't think it's an issue at all to be quite honest, but I honestly don't truly know that it isn't.

What're all of your opinions on this claim being likely or not?

Also on a lighter note, it's good to be back here. I missed y'all.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
i gotta be frank dudes, someone in the smash switch general discussion is hardlocked that if 8-player Smash comes back for the Switch we'll get shafted by technical limitations again. Now personally I don't think it's an issue at all to be quite honest, but I honestly don't truly know that it isn't.

No clue if it's likely, but if they choose a niche game mode over a beloved character I think that's just ridiculous.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698

Well it begs the question of whether or not 8-player Smash was already in development when Sakurai said they were working fine on the Wii U.

But I wouldn’t give it any worry. 8-player Smash had been an idea bounced back and forth since Melee, not to mention the fact that 6 Ice Climbers were able to work in the GameCube with Melee. I think their absence in 4 was solely the 3DS’s fault.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I think it's a no brainer for Ice Climbers to come back for Smash Switch. They were one of the most unique characters of the series

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had a thought, what if the returing IceClimbers count as the obligatory retro rep in and of themselves?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
oh they are coming back no question about it

they were like next to ready for smash wii u/3ds the only reason they missed was the 3ds having a hard time supporting the climbers and probably 8-player smash

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I had a thought, what if the returing IceClimbers count as the obligatory retro rep in and of themselves?
I don't think so, but honestly it wouldn't bother me all that much. There aren't many retro choices I'm super interested in anymore.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I don't think so, but honestly it wouldn't bother me all that much. There aren't many retro choices I'm super interested in anymore.
Same here. I'm fine with a new Retro, but given the choice, I'd take the Climbers' return. And without the 3DS to hold them back, I wholly expect for them to make their glorious comeback.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
How is the best way possible for them to get revealed?
Also I wish Nana to be blonde like her original artwork so she could differ more from Popo

PF9

Smash Lord
I'd like Trans-Siberian Orchestra to remix the Ice Climber medley if the Ice Climbers get in.

They'd put a unique spin on it, plus in my headcanons the Ice Climbers are fans of them (due to their Christmas trilogy and the ICs obsession with the holiday).

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
How is the best way possible for them to get revealed?
Assuming the next Smash trailer is at E3, personally I could see the fire Smash symbol as seen from the Direct reveal trailer suddenly freezing up into ice, ICs get revealed as returning, the silhouettes from the previous trailer are identified, gameplay footage, possible newcomer crashing the party at the end, full Smash title revealed.

Give or take a sudden third-party reveal afterwards a la Snake or Megaman.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Assuming the next Smash trailer is at E3, personally I could see the fire Smash symbol as seen from the Direct reveal trailer suddenly freezing up into ice, ICs get revealed as returning, the silhouettes from the previous trailer are identified, gameplay footage, possible newcomer crashing the party at the end, full Smash title revealed.

How about the opposite? Ice Climbers are climbing an ice mountain, and it starts to melt. They slip and fall, but with teamwork manage to recovery. In the distance they notice the flame.

Tbh though I don't think they should use the flame symbol for everything. It was really cool for the official reveal, but it doesn't need to be forced.

Staarih

Smash Master
How about the opposite? Ice Climbers are climbing an ice mountain, and it starts to melt. They slip and fall, but with teamwork manage to recovery. In the distance they notice the flame.
If the Ice Climbers appear first and front, everyone knows it'll be a Smash trailer since it's probably a long-shot for them to get a new game of their own, so there wouldn't really be any surprise element (and we know how they like their fake-outs). Though I guess if there's gonna be a big trailer at E3 with veterans and stuff, a surprise element is probably not needed and everyone expects IC's to return anyway haha. And I'm not even sure if a returning veteran like Ice Climbers even gets a big reveal scene unlike newcomers.

Well, all I need is them to return really, no matter how they're revealed.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If the Ice Climbers appear first and front, everyone knows it'll be a Smash trailer since it's probably a long-shot for them to get a new game of their own, so there wouldn't really be any surprise element (and we know how they like their fake-outs). Though I guess if there's gonna be a big trailer at E3 with veterans and stuff, a surprise element is probably not needed and everyone expects IC's to return anyway haha. And I'm not even sure if a returning veteran like Ice Climbers even gets a big reveal scene unlike newcomers.

Well, all I need is them to return really, no matter how they're revealed.
It could part of a larger reveal. Either way I hate my own idea so it doesn't matter

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

Sounds good to me. That would be pretty exciting to see and be one of the most memorable moments of E3 this year, no doubt.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Their return is needed.

Here's a pic of an amiibo custom I made.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Their return is needed.

The Amiibo looks really nice! If they return in Smash 5, and Smash 5 gets a new series of Amiibo, then maybe we could all get our hands on an Ice Climber Amiibo! :p I'd certainly like to.

...Also, your Luigi fell over!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The Amiibo looks really nice! If they return in Smash 5, and Smash 5 gets a new series of Amiibo, then maybe we could all get our hands on an Ice Climber Amiibo! :p I'd certainly like to.

...Also, your Luigi fell over!
R.I.P. Luigi.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Their return is needed.

I remember when I stole this picture to be my avatar once. Still looks great. I really like how they're actually doing a pose instead of just standing in a generic way. Nana doing her little skip jump is adorable.

BTW anyone wanna play Smash 4 this weekend?

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Bring them back I say. Only reason they got cut was because of the limitations on the 3DS, but their game is a classic, they are lovable retro characters, and we don't have to worry about those limitations on Switch. Bring them back! Bring them back!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sakurai seems to have put too much effort into attempting to make them work to just scrap them entirely. The only downfall I could see is them being cut in Smash 4 makes them a lower priority for the base roster.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai seems to have put too much effort into attempting to make them work to just scrap them entirely. The only downfall I could see is them being cut in Smash 4 makes them a lower priority for the base roster.
I actually never thought of that. They are shifty enough to pass them off as DLC this go around, huh? Wow. That would definitely be annoying.

PF9

Smash Lord
In my headcanons, the Ice Climbers were Christmas fanatics. Throughout December, Christmas was the foremost thought in their minds. Christmas movies and TV specials were the main things showing on the TV in the Smash Mansion. The mansion was decorated for the holiday as well. The holiday hasn't been the same since they left.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
what im most curious about is, if ice climbers were going to be in smash 4 without chain grabbing , and if there in the new one without, how good are they going to be?

I always felt like chain grabs was the entire gimmick of ice climbers in competitive play and if people can beat them even with that option they must be pretty awful characters if they couldnt chain grab at all. Would they have been anywhere near decent in brawl/melee if they couldnt wobble or chain grab at all?

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
I just had an idea for a new game featuring the Ice Climbers.

It's a spin-off/crossover Pokemon RPG game that sees the Climbers traverse through all main series Pokemon regions. The Climbers start with a Seel, and in this game, can only capture/obtain Ice-types or the few non-Ice-types with Ice-type like qualities (such as Suicune or Piplup), or non-Ice-types that can become Ice-types through evolution or form change (in the case of Rotom, only its Frost form would be obtainable, as a gift, and only the Icicle Plate would be available for Arceus, and Eevee can only evolve into Glaceon). They'd be able to battle other types of Pokemon though.

As the player would control both Climbers at once, all battles are at least Double Battles in this game.

Along with this game, the Ice Climbers would begin appearing in the Pokemon anime as recurring rivals for Ash, as in this proposed game, they would train Ice-types or Pokemon that look like them. They would appear in each region that Ash travels to.

If the Ice Climbers get into Smash Switch, having all this to revive their video game series would be fantastic promotion.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
what im most curious about is, if ice climbers were going to be in smash 4 without chain grabbing , and if there in the new one without, how good are they going to be?

I always felt like chain grabs was the entire gimmick of ice climbers in competitive play and if people can beat them even with that option they must be pretty awful characters if they couldnt chain grab at all. Would they have been anywhere near decent in brawl/melee if they couldnt wobble or chain grab at all?
Ice Climbers have plenty of advantages.

- effectively cannot be grabbed, making them extremely effective against grapplers etc
- they can move out of sync to put up walls of projectiles and cover laggy moves
- even without chaingrabs, they get a LOT off of grabs. Easy bread and butter combos using Nana for plenty of damage off of grabs, charged smashes during grabs for kill options
- they may yet be able to chaingrab; in Brawl Pool could do a throw to be followed immediately by Nana footstool and Pool ice block lock. This could very well return, at least at the start, and would take long enough that popo could regrab.

Even without chaingrabs, it is important to recognise that ICs have quite polarising matchups. The reason they invalidate the likes of Ganondorf and Bowser in Brawl is not really to do with chaingrabs but more to do with desynched Blizzards being nigh impossible to get through.

Generally they would do well against characters without good disjoints, strong projectiles and high mobility. Don't underestimate how potent their ability to camp people out is, or their value as a counterpicks if you can take someone to a flat stage. It's not unreasonable to think they'd have a good match up against Falcon on FD, for example, as without platforms to maneuver around a desynched wall of Blizzards is hard for him to break, and he risks being actively punished for trying to use his excellent grab game if Nana is still about. Ryu would also almost certainly struggle with campy ICs as well.

TL;DR: they won't necessarily be top tier material anymore but I think it's generally underestimated just how effectively they can camp and how polarising that can be for certain matchups. They're less likely to be a top choice for a solo main (ZSS will munch them, for example) but could have a lot of value as a counterpick if nothing else.

Top Bottom