• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ice Climber Communitiy

What is Nana and Popo’s relationship?

• Close friends

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • Siblings

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • Lovers

Votes: 43 29.7%

• Total voters

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
It's been clear for decades that Kirby and Mega Man at least are both ice climbers. Ice Man's design is so similar it's not even funny. Before inhaling ICies in Melee, Kirby already suited up in his parka for freezing abilities.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Before inhaling ICies in Melee, Kirby already suited up in his parka for freezing abilities.
Kirby's Freeze Copy Ability was only given the Ice Climbers-style design in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (the 2002 remake of 1993's Kirby's Adventure) - that came after Super Smash Bros. Melee. ;)

EDIT: Funnily enough, the icon for it, before Copy Ability hats existed, actually showed Kirby wearing a Santa-hat! :laugh:

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So, guys, I'm sure that everyone's aware from the recent Nintendo Direct that Nintendo has partnered with Hamster Corporation, maker of the Arcade Archives series of licensed downloadable emulated arcade games, to re-release their old arcade games for the first time ever, on the Switch. The selection covers titles running both on their own specific hardware, and on the NES-based VS. System. The trailer is here.

I'm mentioning it because one of the VS. System games confirmed and shown in the trailer is VS. Ice Climber. :icsmelee:

As all VS. System versions of existing NES titles do, VS. Ice Climber has some differences from the original NES version. According to Wikipedia's entry on Ice Climber, the differences in VS. Ice Climber are as follows;

An alternate version was released in the arcades as part of the Vs. series, known as Vs. Ice Climber (VSアイスクライマー VS Aisu Kuraimā). It includes gameplay features not found in the home console release, such as an animated title screen, a stage select menu which appears at the start of the game and after completing each level, 16 additional mountains, occasional blizzard and wind effects, more enemy characters, and bonus multiplier items.
You can see some of the changes in action here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Allow me to come in and gladly support :icsmelee:s in making a triumphant return in what will hopefully be another Smash installment. I, a 56-year old lady, have preferred difficult-to-master characters all throughout my years of playing this series. Their seemingly-transcendental grab game was the only thing that had me practice them in Melee and Brawl and have them on as secondary characters. Also liked how one sometimes has to put themselves in danger to save Nana, attributing to their high learning curve. There will be no looking out for number one when I play as them.

It was pretty pitiful to see them get cut from Smash 4 but I have to admit that :rosalina: is a stellar facsimile to them which is why I main her. At least the ICs have a cameo appearance as a trophy here, which is something. Now, if the ICs were in Smash 4, I'd still play as them despite the change in grab mechanics. :)

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Both TooBadWaluigiTime TooBadWaluigiTime and @Shizuka Kawai have been added!

Sorry for the delay!

I'm really liking that theory combining the Smash-6 job listing and the development of other switch games having started in the same time frame.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm really liking that theory combining the Smash-6 job listing and the development of other switch games having started in the same time frame.
Hah, that's mine! :laugh: Thanks very much. :grin:

I also have this very large post about it over in the K. Rool thread, if you'd like to see some more of my thoughts on it. (And I could still say a whole heap more than that, even so - there's just so very much that's odd about the whole situation. :laugh:)

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Add me to the list please. The Ice Climbers need to come back.

SoaPuffball

Smash Cadet
AnonymousMoon I’m joining the club. Add me in, I want these to be seen in Smash after disappearing in SSB3DS. Hopefully so, they were my alt in SSBB.

D

Deleted member

While I don't care for their return as much as Wolf and Snake (since I don't particularly like their playstyle), I still think they should return - they've been part of the Smash family for a long time, and their absence just felt strange. That, and I love their victory theme.
I support.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Everybody wants them back, even the ones that hated them in Melee and Brawl, specifically because their main uncompetitive tool, the infinite chaingrabs (and wobbling that had essentially the same effects), has been removed from Smash 4.

I hope they modify their recovery to using the pterodactyl, and they give you the option to reverse the movement controls on Nana (PEX by pressing a taunt button, even when in mid-air on during the animation of an attack) so you can cover more ground and get them back more easily.

The sad part is that if they get back, the multi-character-control glitch will likely be removed as it would be redundant to have the Ice Climbers when this glitch exists. If I was in charge I would expand it into a new special mode allowing up to 4 characters controlled at once, or up to 2 in case of more than 2 players. Imagine controlling 4 Ice Climbers vs 4 Ice Climbers. CRAZINESS!

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Everybody wants them back, even the ones that hated them in Melee and Brawl, specifically because their main uncompetitive tool, the infinite chaingrabs (and wobbling that had essentially the same effects), has been removed from Smash 4.

I hope they modify their recovery to using the pterodactyl, and they give you the option to reverse the movement controls on Nana (PEX by pressing a taunt button, even when in mid-air on during the animation of an attack) so you can cover more ground and get them back more easily.

The sad part is that if they get back, the multi-character-control glitch will likely be removed as it would be redundant to have the Ice Climbers when this glitch exists. If I was in charge I would expand it into a new special mode allowing up to 4 characters controlled at once, or up to 2 in case of more than 2 players. Imagine controlling 4 Ice Climbers vs 4 Ice Climbers. CRAZINESS!
Well you can only have so much fun by controlling two characters at once. Given the different movesets, one character would just hit the opponent before the other character can.

Also, @Lampy , SoaPuffball SoaPuffball , and AdmN30 AdmN30 , I have added you all to the list. I'm sorry for my spotty attendance here :p

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
WOO! ICE CLIMBERS!

... Sorry, little carried away. Time to make IC OP in Brawl...

AssAssin1775

Smash Rookie
I had crazy experience playing ice climbers in melee. I was going against a falco who had 0% and I was on Dreamland. I was on the top platform and I desynced nana to grab him, but I up-tilted him(by accident) and nana follwed with an up-tilt too. I saw him that he was stuck between my up-t and nana`s up-t. He was pinned against my body(he was stunned in mid-air when I didn`t hit him). I don`t know if that happened to anyone else before or if that was just by luck?

D

Deleted member

If being inactive for barely 2 months is considered "dead" then barely half of the threads in this forums is alive.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if there are any other folks who frequent this thread who enjoy the Animal Crossing series, but either way, did you know that there's a villager who makes reference to the Ice Climbers?

She's a pink monkey. Her name is Nana, and her default catchphrase (a short saying that gets tacked onto the end of a villager's sentences, which can later be changed by the player) is "po po".

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
So a new smash for switch was basically teased.

Splatoon characters pretty much confirmed but near the end there are a bunch of characters in front of a flaming smash symbols — however, aside from a few notable exceptions, you can’t easily make them out.

SPECULATION TIME

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Come back sweet Climbers.

I've missed you so.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yes. ICies will be returning, I'm almost sure. I imagine most of the Wii U/3DS roster will too, if not all of them. Honestly, in terms of characters, there's only 5 I want added on from Wii U/3DS. Those being:

1. Ice Climbers
2. Inkling (confirmed)
3. An ARMS character (don't care who)
4. Wolf (so we have another villain and Star Fox has its 3 representatives back)
5. Ninten or Paula from the EarthBound series (a pipe dream, I know, and I don't expect it to happen. I just want more representation from that series.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm betting good money on Ice Climber's return. There's no longer a dual version and I don't see the Switch's hardware being weak enough to keep them out, even in a eight-player Smash fight.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
The concept of the Ice Climbers is way too interesting not to bring back. I'd be very disappointed ( and a little surprised ) if they didn't come back now that the 3DS isn't in the way anymore

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Everytime I thought about Smash 4's roster, I felt one major thing was missing. I need the most chill duo to come back and smash!

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I saw the new Smash trailer and I thought, I have to return to SmashBoards. To the Snake and Ice Climbers community. I'm kind of heartwarmed that I was mentioned in the opening post (◕ᴗ◕✿). My support for the Ice Climbers remains solid. And now that we're on the Switch, really... what excuse is there not to bring them back? Don't let me down this time, Smash Development Team!

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I want them back as well

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Never really played them, but they were missed in the last game. After all, if the GCN was powerful enough for them...why did they cripple the roster to make both versions the same.

I would like to see Nana and Popo back again.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
So apparently Sakurai’s been quietly working on this all along.

I know some are not fond with some of his choices regarding Smash, but you gotta hand it to the man, he’s very devoted to the series. Especially with the arthritis going down, I am just amazed he hasn’t gotten sick of it.

Also, I think it’s next to guaranteed Ice Climbers will get in. It’s one thing if Wolf didn’t come back, because he was a low-priority character is Brawl and it seems the same in For 3DS & Wii U (not trying to throw him under the bus, I want him back just as much as the Ice cakes; this is purely for comparison).

But the Climbers were more than intended to reappear to the point where Sakurai addressed their absence directly, as if he felt some level of shame or disapointment. So while Wolf’s absence stacks up becaue of low-priority, I have a hard time believing that the Ice Climbers would be excluded NOW because of their absence in the last game due to technical errors.

Or if we’re being honest here, it was due to the notion of equality between consoles which I personally disagree with but it’s futile to argue now.

Huh, look at me, all hyped.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I know everyone is speculating over who are the characters in the flame, and yet not enough people seem to comment that it could be the Ice Climber's next to DK. Could someone link me please?

They even appear a bit blue and pink

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I know everyone is speculating over who are the characters in the flame, and yet not enough people seem to comment that it could be the Ice Climber's next to DK. Could someone link me please?

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698

It could be their hammers up in the air that are to the right of DK

But then again, on the right figure of the two, I think I see a crown.

DK, Bowser, Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, and Samus are the only ones I can make out.

Bowser has his bowser figure, DK has the cowlick, Pikachu’s yellow ear and the tip of Kirby’s pink head are visible at the feet of the Samus silhouette.

From left to right, is speculate
Yoshi, Pit (looks like he’s in the process of shooting an arrow with his bow glowing slightly) DK (hair flip) , either the hammers of Ice Climbers with the little knobs sticking out or perhaps what’s sticking out is Rosalina’s crown, Ness (the character’s shape seems to thin out from the top, implying that the character isn’t comepletely round), Shulk (humanoid figure; stance is more relaxed unlike a similar figure further down which looks more firm, akin to Marth), Mario, Link, Sheik or Capt. Falcon (character seems to be leaning its upper back towards Samus, it’s actually obnoxious cause the head could either be a mask or helmet), Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Marth, Bowser, Fox (I swear I see ears being partially blocked by Bowser’s claws and the scaling seems correct), I’ve heard Ganon and Falcon for this character, but I think it might be Ike. And then the rightmost character, I think is Wario. I can see the yellow tint of his helmet along with a tint of his ears.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Eggplants are part of our culture, we need them to return

Top Bottom