• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I was wrong" thread

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
There better be another donkey Kong rep hidden somewhere in that dlc pass, I don’t even care who, I just want something that makes me care about buying it.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There better be another donkey Kong rep hidden somewhere in that dlc pass, I don’t even care who, I just want something that makes me care about buying it.
Considering the pass comes with a new stage and music, I doubt it would be a fighter from an already repped series. But stranger additions have been added to the roster. Piranha Plant is DLC. But he doesn't come with a stage because Joker is counted as the first fighter in the pass? Honestly after Piranha Plant, I don't want any more Mario characters. Not even characters linked to DK. By the way, is there any Nintendo game that hasn't already been either repped by a fighter or in the "Other" category through Spirits, Assist Trophies, Stages and Music? Or are we left with 3rd-party DLC if my "unrepped fighter" hunch is right?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Or are we left with 3rd-party DLC if my "unrepped fighter" hunch is right?
If this is the case, we’re in for one hell of a ride. Unless of course, they put in some actual effort when coming up with stuff and netted us one of the classic big name third parties like Banjo or Crash.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I considered him a complete non-factor prior to lead up and was always surprised to see the support for him given he just didn’t feel like he had a remote chance. At least in comparison to most picks. He wasn’t impossible, but he just felt extremely unlikely.

And then I went to pick up my copy of Smash and on the way my friend called me and said Joker from Persona was in. I was too excited about getting Ultimate to have much of a reaction.

Then I watched the stream while waiting in GameStop and it seemed cool. Then I kept thinking about it, and kept getting more hyped. I ****ing love Persona 4 Golden in Vita, one of the few RPGs I’ve finished so easily and the only one in recent memory where I wanted to do another playthrough. I haven’t played 5 yet cause I need to commit to a game like it/want to give 3 a shot as well...

But he just made more sense to me, and I like Persona. Then I realized Persona music will be in Smash and that’s that. He’s part of the family and I’m completely surprised, but also completely excited about his inclusion.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Yep, it looks like anyone can get into Smash these days.
There's really no restrictions as far as Video Game characters go. Goku is a manga-originated character. If that ever happens, then literally anyone can get in. As of now? No, you can't say that.

Regardless, I'm almost certain we're going to see a very iconic Microsoft rep among the DLC now.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
The more people say Goku can't be in, you just increase his chances of getting in. Just look at Ridley, Cloud and Bayonetta. So many people keep saying they won't be in Smash, but here they are. At this time, it seems like everyone's qualified to join Smash.
Still, Cloud and Ridley are video game characters. Icons in gaming history. Goku is an icon in anime/manga history. Goes against Sakurai's rules.

Nazzul

Smash Rookie
I was at the midnight release when my gf overheard someone say Joker was in. I told her that was impossible. The next morning when I was just waking up I was browsing the internet and saw the trailer........WOW I did not know I could get even more hyped for Smash.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Regardless, I'm almost certain we're going to see a very iconic Microsoft rep among the DLC now.
Please just no. I’m all for fun characters, AS LONG AS they are Nintendo owned. Anything that would be considered a funny choice outside of that is a straight no-buy from me (unless you count Crash and Spyro as part of that). I honestly just want smash to stick to its roots from this point on: only first party additions. To me, every first party so far has been at least fine, while for about half the third parties we’ve gotten I find myself asking: Who is this supposed to be? Don’t get me wrong, Sonic, Snake, Ryu, Pac-Man, and even Simon (as much I dislike how he looks) deserve to be there. But I seriously think smash should be more like a traditional fighting game and only include a few third parties. If they want to have this much, then at least do it right.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Please just no. I’m all for fun characters, AS LONG AS they are Nintendo owned. Anything that would be considered a funny choice outside of that is a straight no-buy from me (unless you count Crash and Spyro as part of that). I honestly just want smash to stick to its roots from this point on: only first party additions. To me, every first party so far has been at least fine, while for about half the third parties we’ve gotten I find myself asking: Who is this supposed to be? Don’t get me wrong, Sonic, Snake, Ryu, Pac-Man, and even Simon (as much I dislike how he looks) deserve to be there. But I seriously think smash should be more like a traditional fighting game and only include a few third parties. If they want to have this much, then at least do it right.
I wholeheartedly agree with the whole Smash should stick to it's roots, like I' definitely sure the huge majority of Smash Fans that would buy the DLC are Nintendo Fans themselves, & could very well not be affinity with any of the possible Parties. Like, I just wish the characters Nintendo chosen for the Fighter Pass aren't all Third Parties, & if so, that atleast are two Nintendo Characters...excluding a possible Geno (he might be a Nintendo Character but he's still 3rd Party as far as we know).

Though, despite all this talk, I do still support & wholeheartedly welcome Third Parties, I just don't want the premise of Smash to be completely absence within the Fighters of the Fighter Pass that's all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's never going to happen. Nintendo nor Sakurai clearly cares about this "has to be mostly from Nintendo". 3rd parties get way more customers and increase the overall playerbase and influence of Smash.

People need to get over it. While we might get some 1st Parties as the DLC Pass, it's not that likely. Unless they're obscure, maybe. It's clear as day they're going to be unexpected. A lot of normal 1st party picks aren't all that likely due to that alone. Never mind Reggie's own words on it could be implying they will all be characters from series that has never been in Smash(though it's more likely that he meant that they'll just be proper newcomers people wouldn't expect. That is, no vets). There's no way around that Piranha Plant is both unexpected and a character never playable in Smash, which is what he talked about. There's a reasonable chance he isn't trying to say "if they're in the base game in some form, they're disconfirmed". It doesn't matter if they're a spirit or AT in this case. Either way, they aren't playable, and AT's especially are unexpected picks. About the only AT that is clearly not part of the first pass at best could be Isaac if the leaks about him being "not even considered for playable" is true. As well as Nintendo being surprised on how much he was wanted as playable. But the first part is key. (For the record, I don't think AT's will be upgraded this game unless they're fully cut AT's and not in Ultimate. I just don't discount it being a possibility, low chance as it is).

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
Literally like a month or two ago I said to a friend, "I really want Joker from Persona 5. But its probably never going to happen." Well here we are now lol. Looks like I'm a Joker Main.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Literally like a month or two ago I said to a friend, "I really want Joker from Persona 5. But its probably never going to happen." Well here we are now lol. Looks like I'm a Joker Main.
Might as well just main bayo instead as it seems like Sakurai decided no nerfs for characters who need it.

Xigger

Smash Lord
So, about this negative environment: it's perfectly understandable, the game released and our boy wasn't in the base roster. It's a bad feeling, but it's all a part of being a fan. We haven't been at it as long as King K. Rool or Ridley fans yet, so I'm not throwing in the towel yet; honestly, this is a tradition at this point. Even if it feels bad right now, I'm still feeling more positive than in past games.

When Brawl released, we were so pissed that Geno wasn't mentioned in the game once, not as a Trophy or Sticker, no music, only a mention for Super Mario RPG in the game encyclopedia. But post-release, game-miners found the Forest Maze as a cut song, and we took comfort knowing that there was a definite attempt, and Square Enix was the likely problem. After all, Sakurai mentioned Geno so many times, and tried to get the music, so we had reason to be positive again.

When Smash 4 released, we were once again disappointed with no mention anywhere in sight. Then once again, post-release, we got a Mii fighter, way more prominent than any other costume. Geno got a splash screen only fighters have got, the cut Forest Maze music played, and was objectively the most unique Mii costume release. Sure, everyone had mixed feelings about it, because he didn't make it as a fighter, but I know I was happy that I could play as my boi Geno! And things got even better when Sakurai revealed that he's wanted Geno in Smash since Brawl. We KNEW Sakurai wanted Geno in, and now it's a known fact; the reason he isn't included is all but publicly announced, due to Square being difficult.

Now we're in Smash Ultimate, and once again, we begin the tradition of being disappointed after the launch. There's a huge debate about Spirits and deconfirmations, and there's no solid expectation for DLC fighters. So what now? What about post-release for Ultimate? That's when the Geno fans get uplifting news, and that's more than any other fanbase gets post-release. We just have to wait until we hear about the new DLC waves, or a new Sakurai interview, or for yet ANOTHER name-drop for Super Mario RPG on Twitter or a convention event.

But you know what? I'm still happy. Geno is in the base game. Not a huge milestone since everyone is, but he's in the base game. And one of the highest-rank Spirits to boot. And we still have 4 DLC fighters left. Whether he's a fighter release, or a Mii Costume release, I'm still going to be ecstatic, and you can bet that I'm going to main Mii Geno again.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I admit... I thought Joker didn't have a chance in ****. Now, I think that these packs will all be 3rd party characters.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think these packs would have to be third-party if the Spirits covered every Nintendo franchise and by the way each fighter coming with their own stage and music implies a new franchise.

D

Deleted member

I thought everyone who wanted him was being unrealistic and fighting for a hopeless cause, but I gotta hand it to 'em now........Joker was the pipe dream most-wanted newcomer of one of my best friends, and I'm pretty sure we were all super happy for him when the reveal came. Very happy for him and my other Persona pals, and now I'm more interested in the series than ever. He's gonna be real cool!

Also happy to interpret him as a better PS3 rep than Bayonetta with her awful port lol, that console's kinda special to me for expanding my horizons beyond Nintendo with PlayStation All-Stars. (Yes, I bought a PS3 around 2012 for PlayStation All-Stars and its related games. Was kinda desperate for a new Smash game around that point, and the consequence of this was that my favorite Sony series became Fat Princess. :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sakurai always breaks his rules.
I wouldn't hold on to that considering it's the ONE rule that he hasn't broken at all during all these years since the first smash to this day. Video game characters is what defines Smash for what it is, the day that rule is broken, it stops being smash.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Just you wait for Goku to be announced for DLC. His "I was wrong thread" will have a lot to talk about. Besides, a lot of Smash characters had appeared outside of video games. Pokémon is a popular anime series. Goku had 40 games on Nintendo consoles. He would be welcomed in Smash like Joker, Piranha Plant, Snake, Wii Fit Trainer, Pichu, Ridley, R.O.B. and all the other unexpected and controversial characters.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Besides, a lot of Smash characters had appeared outside of video games. Pokémon is a popular anime series. Goku had 40 games on Nintendo consoles.
But Goku's still not recognized as a staple video game character. Everyone knows him as an anime character, or a manga character.
"Coraline had a game, she could be in!"
"Littlest Pet Shop has been on Nintendo before!"
"How about Wreck-It Ralph? He is a video game character, after all!"
Thing is, Goku, Coraline or Ralph haven't had an impact on gaming (like James Bond has with defining the multiplayer FPS).

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Staple video game character? We're getting obscure video game characters such as the newly announced Joker who is from a Playstation exclusive series. At this point, it seems like the only qualifications to get in the game is if Sakurai can decide on a moveset and Nintendo could negotiate with the owners for permission to use the character. Anyway, my arguments for Goku and other licensed characters are off-topic. We should be discussing how caught off-guard we were from the Joker announcement.

Khao

Smash Lord
This one really freaking surprised me. I thought the franchise in general was way too much of an obscure niche to make it in, but this really changes expectations for me. If you think about it, the choice makes sense. Most casual gamers are probably not gonna get DLC when the base game already has so much freaking content, they'd only be missing a small fraction of the roster after all. So it actually makes sense not to appeal to them with the DLC choices.

Anyway, I've personally never played any kind of Persona, or Shin Megami Tensei for that matter. Buuuuuut I do have a high amount of respect for the series. I can't really explain why, but if we had to get a character I don't know from a franchise I'm not too familiar with, I'm glad it was Joker. I also trust Sakurai and his team to make a fun character out of literally anything, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in action!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I wonder who's next in the fighter pass? Goku? Sora? Waluigi? Donald Trump? A random chair? Shantae? Costco? Batman? The Angry Video Game Nerd? If an obscure third-party character who had less Nintendo appearances than Cloud can get in, then all bets are off! I don't think there are any rules to get into Smash. Sakurai really is going for the unexpected characters.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I wonder who's next in the fighter pass? Goku? Sora? Waluigi? Donald Trump? A random chair? Shantae? Costco? Batman? The Angry Video Game Nerd? If an obscure third-party character who had less Nintendo appearances than Cloud can get in, then all bets are off! I don't think there are any rules to get into Smash. Sakurai really is going for the unexpected characters.
Sakurai: *adds a character from a game he's gone on record saying he enjoyed and inspired the UI for Smash Ultimate*
Smashboards members: ALL BETS ARE OFF GOKU'S CONFIRMED SAKURAI DOESN'T GIVE A **** ABOUT ANYTHING ANYMORE ALL IS LOST

Seriously, y'all, it's not that deep. Sure, Joker doesn't have any big Nintendo appearances, but what does it matter? People like you are blowing this way out of proportion.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sakurai: *adds a character from a game he's gone on record saying he enjoyed and inspired the UI for Smash Ultimate*
Smashboards members: ALL BETS ARE OFF GOKU'S CONFIRMED SAKURAI DOESN'T GIVE A **** ABOUT ANYTHING ANYMORE ALL IS LOST

Seriously, y'all, it's not that deep. Sure, Joker doesn't have any big Nintendo appearances, but what does it matter? People like you are blowing this way out of proportion.
Besides, I mean, an exclusive 3DS game that is still considered semi-canon if sorta inconsequential is still a big deal. Plus he counts as Atlus/SMT rep as per Nintendo's own words.

It is pretty simple.

StormC

Smash Hero
When K. Rool got added, some people were reacting with "wow, memes are REAL! Goku's next!" At this point calling for Goku is being chicken little.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I just love how fans praised Ultimate for being the fan's game when Ridley, K. Rool, and all veterans were announced. Now with the plant and Joke, the forum fanbase seemingly forgot all of that.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just love how fans praised Ultimate for being the fan's game when Ridley, K. Rool, and all veterans were announced. Now with the plant and Joke, the forum fanbase seemingly forgot all of that.
Probably because people, myself included, were expecting more characters directly tied to the ballot. Not that I mind since I got the character I voted for...but hey.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And a lot of characters voted in the ballot such as Isaac and Shovel Knight ended up as Assist Trophies.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Has Joker ever made an appearance on a Nintendo console? The Persona series seems to be Playstation exclusive. Oh, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth was on 3DS and was the only other appearance of Joker? And the two Persona Q2 games are the only Persona games on a Nintendo system? Wow, Joker's even less relevant to Nintendo than Cloud. At least Final Fantasy had a dozen Nintendo games and had even crossed over with Mario in sports games. But Persona has no ties to Nintendo outside of Q2? Yep, it looks like anyone can get into Smash these days. I'm still waiting for Goku.
I know I'm super late, but Joker has basically become the face of the bigger SMT franchise. Which has originated on the Famicom. It also has a very big presence on the 3DS. Also, The newly announced SMT V is going to release on the Switch.
So no, Goku's not getting in Smash any time soon.

Top Bottom