• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Hylian Nightmare": A Link Combo Video by The GERM.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Expect a Mewtwo tricks vid after BOMB 3.
I am glad Thomas Tipman said what he did earlier, especially if it inspires this.

@ Mow: If you record what you want on VHS tapes and mail them to me I can then record them into vid files and edit them to your likeing.

StoneColdLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WHAT007
GERM, an awesome video. I love it. As a true Link player as I am, I try to combo alot of peopel myself, but it never really goes together right. Your video makes it look so easy. I would like to play you one day and see if my Link can match up against yours (doubt it thought, lol) but at least I can say I battled the best Link player.

Efrye

Smash Cadet
Ok it is a little bit late but...WOW. This a vid that makes me feel like: "Imust play Link and kick the a**es from all the people who hate Link"-so its amazing.
btw. I became a Link player

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
germ, ur amazing. that reverse kick grab is kinda hard for me to pull off, i keep doing a dash grab. can u explain "perfect" washdashing though? u do it alot.

TheDude
Where can I get the vid?
use DC++, and search or get someone to email to u

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
man, WC and EC, two completely different link styles. Nice vid, finally got it (that hub never works!!) The back aerial to grab catches alot of people, i'm afraid to grab that much.:eek:

Mattey

Smash Cadet
**** I really want to see this video by the way people have been talking about it. I can't use DC++ because of my college's firewall. If anyone could temporarily host this or send it to me over AIM I'd be much obliged.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Originally posted by SS4Ricky
man, WC and EC, two completely different link styles. Nice vid, finally got it (that hub never works!!) The back aerial to grab catches alot of people, i'm afraid to grab that much.:eek:
Thanx Ricky, that means a lot coming from you bro. I agree, WC and EC have 2 really different styles of Link, I've never seen an EC Link vs. a WC Link, are you going to FC3?

Zarelid

Smash Lord
lol WC and EC Links have 2 different styles!?!?! EC Links don't grab nuuuuuuts =P I grab with alot anyone so I just do it by nature with Link.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Im teh all grab's. Links are to sexy....Im probably goimg to FC3

StoneColdLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WHAT007
As always GERM amazing video. I have my friend's see it and they were amazed, jaw-dropping amazment. I was just wondering something, how the hell do you do your reverse grab? I tried many times to get that **** down, and still nothing. How do you do it? Help a fellow Link player out.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
I know you posed this question towards Germ, but I was actually just wondering how to do this last night, myself. I found Germ answering the question on a Linkology thread, and basically he said you do the shorthop, bair, z-tap it, and then press z again to shoot your hookshot.
Since when you do your Bair you're pressing back anyway (if you use the control stick and A), then after you negate the lag time with the Z button, you press the Z button again (still holding back on the control stick) and you'll catch them.

I've noticed this only tends to work on people at lower percentages, as at the higher percentages, the bair will knock someone too far. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me Germ, because I've just learned this trick also.

Also, I had two questions of my own for you, Germ:
1. What's the best way to beat a good Marth? I've been working on some things, but I was wondering if you had an idea on how to counter that range and power of the Tip.
2. What summer tournaments are you going to be at? I want to play your Link, if only so I can learn some things. I think I can speak for all the East Coast Link's when I say we would like to see you at one of the tournaments out here, perhaps teaching us a few things about the character.

Thanks again, and I hope you're working on another video...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Fleur: I dont know how GERM does it, but the way I do it is...

1. B-air, but make sure your B-air touches the ground so you can cancel it.

2. Turn your character around if opponents facing the other way, if hes not, then tap joystick a bit forward, otherwise link will pull up his big shield.

I just dont like using this move on Jigglypuff, with her long hitboxes and CCed Rest + Ducking under Link's grab.

I agree EC and WC Link have different styles.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
My post wasn't meant to ask how to do it, I was trying to answer it for the previous post. It's really pretty simple to do, basically you just L-cancel out of a Bair or whatever move, and then turn around and grab them.
Just practicing in training mode is a good way to get it down. I was just trying to explain it the same way Germ did in the Linkology post.
As for me, I use the L button to cancel the attacks, so instead of pressing Z twice, I actually press L then Z, and it works just as quickly. The only thing that would be difficult was if you tried to cancel it with the R button. It might be a little awkward to shift from the R button to the Z button, though I imagine it wouldn't be THAT bad.

Oh, and I don't really think EC and WC are that different, I think it's more of just individual players differing. Ricky and Kubuu look a lot more like the fighting style I see in Aniki, and Germ basically takes a lot more risks than either of the three (in my opinion, at least)
I think Link players really have to utilize those powerful moves with the horrible lag times to be successful.
Everytime I see a Link trying to use the short, quick attacks, he'll get owned by some other player that's willing to get punished every now and then. The pay off for landing a hookshot, or an up-b, or a d-air, is very good if you learn to use them at the right times, when you're certain to hit.
That's why Germ kicks a lot of ***, and that's the only difference I see between him and the other Links I see on DC++

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Germ: That was an awesome video. Links my best character, and its safe to say you're definetely better than me with him right now. I'm practicing like crazy though, and I hope to play against you sometime, even if i get the crap beaten out of me. Maybe I can meat you at a tournament sometime, I'm planning on going to FC3.

canoshiz

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by SuicideDolls
That was a good vid. On a lot of the other vids, there was a lot of lightning melee. Do yal play like that? That was some hardcore combos though!
IIRC there were NO lightning melee matches on any of the vids...

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Originally posted by SuicideDolls
That was a good vid. On a lot of the other vids, there was a lot of lightning melee. Do yal play like that? That was some hardcore combos though!
hahaha, yeah its regular melee. germs link is combo-centric so dont be fooled. just watched the vid again the other day and i gotta say nice work, but i can never get anyone with the A-A-grab combo so i put a little spin on it (i just press A again).

Rye

Smash Journeyman
Here's a stupid question: How did you come upon these combos? It's obviously not random.

Why such a ballsy link? If you whiff a throw, you get punished hardcore.

How can that style possibly work? I'm not saying it doesn't, because obviously it does!

The GERM

Smash Ace
The skibby

This game's about instinct man, and getting to know your opponent as quick as you can as well as the character(s) they choose. Iike, if I jab them once early in the game, and see that they block right after out of habbit, the next time I jab, I'll probably go for a jab grab, It's just about finding their habbits. See, some people like playing Link and Samus because they think that all they have to do is block because they can see their grab coming from a mile away, so I decided to chain my grabs out of shffl airs mostly so it's more unexpected.

And no these combos are not random, I'm not one of those people who stick to their old strats no matter what just because that's what they feel comfortable with even though they don't work. It's really simple, If I'm playing a certain person, or even a certain character, and I'm getting my a** handed, I'll switch a lot of things right then like maybe my pace, I'll try a move I've been neglecting, I'll grab more/less, spam more/less, things like that. So the combos just come from years of constantly switching my strats and trying new things to see what moves chain the best and work the best overall as far as damage and knockback. Trust me, it took a lot of years of getting my a** beat by Zelgadis's Fox to come up with some good reliable combos, same goes for every other character in the game. All I'm saying is, don't be afraid to try new sh**, it's the only way you'll get better, you might get beat a couple times because you just started using them, but it's better for you in the long run.

And I play a ballsy Link because nobody else does that I've seen, and I'm a ballsy person yo, I ain't about to spam sh** all day when I know I can keep up with the fastest characters at close range and take them from 0 to 90 faster than a Porshe. Plus, I'm not very patient, I've tried spamming sh**, and it's just not my style man, I want them to taste the master sword you know. I mean, I do throw a lot of projectiles, but just as combo starters mostly, I ain't no stick man throwing bombs and arrows all day.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Amen to that. All of it, really. If I can add something, I'll say that Link is an incredibly flexible character when it comes down to it, but you've got to use all those moves and know when to use them not only ahead of time, but like Germ said, just on the spot as well. If you get to the point where you don't even think of doing the right moves with your character and you just DO them, then you can start focusing on what your opponent does, and really kick ***.

Looking forward to seeing some of your vids from some of the summer tournies, Germ.

Rye

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that you use dash attacks to juggle.... Is there a narrow % window on this? I never seem to be able to land it or they go way to high for a combo (non fast fallers).

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
That was one nasty link. O i cant wait to face you with yoshi. It will be great. I didnt know Link could be worked like that. But it was hot. The down a sweep The the mide air down a nasty. Ive also never seen someone edge gaurd or grab like that wit LINK very nice

Daaayaaaamn...I'm a n00b to this game, so my opinion of this video doesn't mean crap. But seriously, its freakin awexome, but you all knew that.

My favorite part was at the beginning when you're totally jock'n those hobies and somebody lays out a,'Oooh sh*****t...--HOLY SH**!!'

link905

Smash Rookie
Whoa. That was one awesome video. The quickness an those combos look unreal. I didnt know Link could be THAT fast, but then again, I still cant wavedash or master thse short jumps. Excellent video

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Great video. What is the program you used to edit the video though? All of the combo vids have inspired me to try creating a Roy one.

Cry_Of_Dissonance

Smash Rookie
Hey, GERM...

I've been playing Smash for years as Link, though I'm still practicing on all the more advanced technical aspects of the game. My question is, do you prefer the C-Stick for your aerials? I've always used the A button myself, until recently, when I decided to try out the C-Stick and see how it turned out. It's still pretty awkward for me, but I want to know if I'm heading in the right direction with C-Sticking aerials. I don't want to practice something that won't end up helping me in the long run, and seeing as how your Link is quite commendable to say the least, I decided to ask for your preference.

Top Bottom