• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero talks only in the Japanese version, just like Mewtwo

andree123

Smash Ace
Every speaking voice clips are replaced by inarticulate sounds in the English version.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, I thought they were all silet protagonists? Is this specifically for smash so they can have voice clips?

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Its just spell names anyway, I don't particularly care here since there are no phrases.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Its just spell names anyway, I don't particularly care here since there are no phrases.
I like listening to the names to be honest although “Frizz” sounds kind of funny more than cool .

It’s too bad we can’t change the language to Japanese because we won’t be able to read the menu, lol

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
Only the Luminary called out spells in the JP trailer. The rest of them had the same audio as our version. I think there's an "attack call" track and a "grunt only" track used for the Luminary and the other three heroes respectively, all by the same VA.

What they likely did was take the grunt track and put it on the Luminary too in other languages to avoid him calling out the Japanese spell names in regions where they don't match.

Last edited:

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
Character's not done yet. It's possible they just never recorded the English clips in time.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Character's not done yet. It's possible they just never recorded the English clips in time.
My question is, if all of them will get English voices, who will voice each of them (or at least Erdrick, Solo, and Eight since Luminary already has an English voice actor)

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I'm glad we can atleast keep that sfx with the english language(especially erdrick with that oot-link style voice!) for everything else still on rather than having another forced dub like marth

Last edited:

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Lmao I feel like such a weeb right now. This won't affect me at all since I forced myself to learn 90% of the menu options by heart specifically so I could change the language to Japanese. In addition to being more aesthetically pleasing, many characters have better voices in Japanese (Palutena, all the FE characters, Mewtwo, Shulk). The only real casualty to this change is Falco's signature down taunt into down smash line no longer works.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Considering Dragon Quest is a Square Enix IP, and Square Enix's other Smash character also only speaks in Japanese, this doesn't surprise me.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Considering Dragon Quest is a Square Enix IP, and Square Enix's other Smash character also only speaks in Japanese, this doesn't surprise me.
I thought that was because of legal issues regarding Steve Burton (Cloud's VA at the time), I don't recall Rasmus Hardiker (Luminary's English voice) having those issues... Then again, I don't know who will voice the other 3 characters.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad we can atleast keep that sfx with the english language(especially erdrick with that oot-link style voice!) for everything else still on rather than having another forced dub like marth
Apparently it isn't just style, it's literally Link's Ocarina of Time (and Smash 64/Melee) VA Nobuyuki Hiyama.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Apparently it isn't just style, it's literally Link's Ocarina of Time (and Smash 64/Melee) VA Nobuyuki Hiyama.
I knew that, that's why i mentioned it XD Really looking forward to the return of the classic HYAAAAs

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Kinda curious why the Heroes didn't get English voice actors (if only because the Luminary has an English VA in DQXI S).

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Kinda curious why the Heroes didn't get English voice actors (if only because the Luminary has an English VA in DQXI S).
More than likely because they would have to make auditions for UK Voice Actors, which I don't see them doing at all. Although, I'm not sure who'd they cast for the other 3. Maybe Shulks VA? Reyn's VA? Who knows.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
More than likely because they would have to make auditions for UK Voice Actors, which I don't see them doing at all. Although, I'm not sure who'd they cast for the other 3. Maybe Shulks VA? Reyn's VA? Who knows.
I mean they would only have to do that for the Luminary, the rest don't need UK Voice Actors

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I mean they would only have to do that for the Luminary, the rest don't need UK Voice Actors
I dunno, every DQ stuff that's been dubbed has been dubbed in the UK, I don't see why they would change that if they were to get the other's ENG Voices for Smash.

Top Bottom