• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Hero of Winds - Toon Link in Smash Ultimate!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link​

This thread is for discussing Toon Link for Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch (pending title) and his chances of returning as well as any potential tweaks he may receive.

I feel like he has a fairly good chance of returning in this installment as he's still being used to this day. Was used for Tri Force Heroes and received a new amiibo during the series 30th anniversary celebration.

Also, depending on what they'll do with Link (as he seems to be changed up to his new Breath of the Wild incarnation) they may want to keep Toon Link as a more traditional Link option as well.

So lets discuss Toon Link and his potential return for Smash Switch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well the second most recent zelda was a toon link one dont see any reason for him to be cut

really hope he has some triforce heroes outfits

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well the second most recent zelda was a toon link one dont see any reason for him to be cut

really hope he has some triforce heroes outfits
Ooh haven't really thought about that. Both BotW and TH had a wardrobe of clothing for Link and Toon Link to choose from, while I doubt they will give them too many alts, I wouldn't mind seeing at least one or two alts given to them. If not than the Tunic of the Wild for Link and the Conductors/Outset outfit for Toon Link will do.

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
I'd suggest he replace some of his specials with customs (Fire Arrows, Flying Spin Attack, Short-Fused Bomb) to further differentiate with regular Link, but it seems regular Link will get a number of BOTW moves to differentiate him with Tink anyway...so it'd be better if Tink stayed the same with some moves from older classic Link if we're going the route of "Tink representing classic Link playstyle".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just want Toon Link to get his iconic Hurricane Spin in Smash. He kind of got it as one of his customs, but I'd like for him to keep it as his dafault while also keeping his regular spin when in the air or remains uncharged when grounded. I also wouldn't mind him using Fire and/Ice Ice Arrows for his neutral.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay, if he makes it in, for the love of Hylia, give him his MIRROR SHIELD.

It looks way more aesthetically pleasing than that brown piece of wood we have AND is more canon due to the combo of master sword and mirror shield being the only possibility.

Also, take a page from Hyrule Warriors and focus his moveset to be based more around his hurricane spin.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, I think I spotted a new FSmash. Instead of the 1-2 hit, it seems it'll be a single-hit rising slash.

MSDChaos

Smash Rookie
Alright, I think I spotted a new FSmash. Instead of the 1-2 hit, it seems it'll be a single-hit rising slash.
Yes. I saw that frame.

That upper cut seems familiar, but I can't recall where it's from.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes. I saw that frame.

That upper cut seems familiar, but I can't recall where it's from.
My guess, it references the animation for a counterattack where Link dodges behind the enemy and does a rising slash.

Though without the dodge and the jump

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Rip the mix-ups, I suppose. A lot of people who just weren't familiar with Link/Toon Link would always forget that it has one or two hits.

D

Deleted member

Is it me or is Toon Link's Mugshot in the Character section gray?

Why is that?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Because Toon Link isn't receiving love from his most dedicated fans!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Even though he probably won't be mine main, as his playstyle just doesn't suit me, I'm hoping Toon Link has his Outset Island attire from Wind Waker as an alt. It's something I've wanted since the pre-Smash 4 days. His engineer uniform from Spirit Tracks would be awesome as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Even though he probably won't be mine main, as his playstyle just doesn't suit me, I'm hoping Toon Link has his Outset Island attire from Wind Waker as an alt. It's something I've wanted since the pre-Smash 4 days. His engineer uniform from Spirit Tracks would be awesome as well.
My dream for Toon alts.
1. Outset island shirt with light sword and Hero's Shield
2. Normal look with Master Sword and WW Mirror Shield
3. Train Engineer with Lokomo Sword and Shield of Antiquity.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I'm very curious to see the full differences between Toon Link and Young Link aside from fire arrows (young link), animation style and taunts. Anyone spot anything major ?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm very curious to see the full differences between Toon Link and Young Link aside from fire arrows (young link), animation style and taunts. Anyone spot anything major ?
Toon Link has a new side Smash attack I think. Young Link brought his rapid jab back. We haven't seen too much of them to see the full differences they have so far beyond that.

I think Young Link will probably be there to preserve Link's old moveset for the most part like Dr.Mario did, especially due to the additional changes Link got over time. They might do a few more changes with Toon Link to separate each other a bit more though.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Heyoo! Looking forward to playing Toon Link again like always. I really like what looks to be his new Forward Smash. Looks very fast, and covers a lot of area in front of him. Will probably be the safest F-Smash out of all the Links.

Really hoping that his projectile combo game is even better this time, and that Jump Canceling still works properly for when he throws a bomb. Also hoping for less aerial lag all around like the rest of the cast seem to have gotten. That would really help his neutral, especially if his N-air hardly has any landing lag. My last hope is that his Back Throw still K.O.'s reliably, and that he has a Throw that can True Combo into something at low percents this time. Please give Toon Link a throw combo, Sakurai! Fingers crossed.

Also wonder what other costumes he'll have this time around. We already know he has the standard red, blue, and purple alts. Wonder if they changed any of the others up. Kinda hoping he retains the NES and SNES Link costumes though, as I enjoy that those represent classic Links from the franchise. I have a feeling that we're going to be waiting until pretty close to Ultimate's release in order to get answers to any of these questions though.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
My dream for Toon alts.
1. Outset island shirt with light sword and Hero's Shield
2. Normal look with Master Sword and WW Mirror Shield
3. Train Engineer with Lokomo Sword and Shield of Antiquity.
Heck YES!! I have been waiting far too long for that Outset Island tee to be a part of his alts~

Tekina~

Smash Rookie
So yeah. since everyone is here, Many people have their main's back, so my main (tink, but I want jibanyan more) is back! I'm gonna list some thoughts about him and want you toon link mains to do the same!
After watching is trailer multiple times. I can see that he is very very expressive, which I feel is one of the hugest changed. His renders and expressions makes him the closest to "Toon" as he really gets, and I love it! Because Toon link isn't in the demo, we don't have much info on him.
So he has a new side smash, being a single upward hit; like a very quick uppercut. I think this is better than his double hit side smash, but might have less killing power. His arrows are the same, being quite floaty. I still think being floaty is good, because it'll allow more follow ups.
Staying still with the shield still does allow him to block projectiles. This means tink can play defensive in neutral, mostly against characters like samus.
Up tilt looks like a combo tilt, it'll still probably combo into footstool, which isn't that good now.
Ftilt looks decent, being a bit quicker, but I feel it won't be as good tbh.
Dair… I wished it would bounce up after hitting an opponent again, that's my wish though.
Back throw... I hope it kills like in smash 4
Up B on the ground is still a nice multihit spin, will still cover as a ledge trap. Up b on the air will still be the same.
Bombs are good
There are many things we haven't seen, from Dtilt, up smash, down smash, 3 of his grabs, Side b, and mostly his aerials. I hope some get an overhaul and we can get new moves, though we'll have to see.
We know that up and down taunt are the same, so we might get a new side taunt(?)
We also know we're having the link colors from 4 swords as palette swaps, and I hope we get new costumes, preferably outset Tink
This is more of me just looking at every move, but I like the way Tink remained the way through brawl to smash ultimate in his moveset, with minimal huge changes, I also think he'll be mid-tier like last game, because of those minimal changes. But I'll still use him either way!

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
Anyone else maining him ? seems like the best link based off their 3 trailers.

Tekina~

Smash Rookie
Do we know for certain it doesn't / does?

Would be a great way to separate him from the other links Dairs
In his 20 second clip, he does Up tilt to dair, which doesn't bounce up after hitting shulk (I think it was shulk) and then grabs then back through. If only we still got his brawl dair back

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
From the last Nintendo Direct around 9 minutes in there is footage of Toon link. It appears his jab is slower, but with with a greater range. I hope I am wrong and that it is the same speed. Greater range would be a small buff but a needed one in this game. His f-smash comes out faster then his previous f-smash from smash 4 but was interrupted in the footage so you cant really tell.

Okay theres another clip of toon link at 19:57 and you can see both his f-smash and jab. They look good, i am going to have to get use to the new f-smash though.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Couple things of note from the direct:

JAB
Toon Link steps forward more with his jab this time around.

This is a double-edged sword though. It both extends his range and his hurtbox so I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. His sword appears to be roughly the same length.

The hitbox on his jab3 also extends above his actual sword. In the second clip you mentioned ILJ ILJ , you see Dark Pit getting hit despite not touching the sword. Of course this isn't the final build but I wouldn't be too upset if they left it that way in the final game :)

BOOMERANG
Maybe even more noteworthy is in that first clip around the 9 minute mark, Toon Link's boomerang clashes with Dark Pit's arrow and falls, hits the ground, and disappears!

DASH ATTACK
New animation. Check at about 22:55

Last edited:

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
I saw that boomerang clash. Idk what to think about it yet. It can be many things. Let’s hope for the best. Good observation on his jab Range linking to the animation.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I didn't even notice the Boomerang clash until you pointed it out. Wonder if that's a slight nerf to the move, or if it's just an extra animation that doesn't really mean anything. Toon Link will probably be slightly faster wish slightly less landing lag like the rest of the cast thanks to the game's engine, so hopefully it won't matter too much in the grand scheme.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I have a question. Has Toon Link ever had the ability to wall jump in Wind Waker? I don't really understand why he can do it, unless it's just to make him more different from Link.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
I really want a lagless zair above all other things. I think that could be the biggest buff. Ya toon link needs frame data buffs both on start up and ending for sure. Grab frame data, zair and nair/bair would be sweeeet.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I didn't even notice the Boomerang clash until you pointed it out. Wonder if that's a slight nerf to the move, or if it's just an extra animation that doesn't really mean anything. Toon Link will probably be slightly faster wish slightly less landing lag like the rest of the cast thanks to the game's engine, so hopefully it won't matter too much in the grand scheme.
I was wondering the same. What if, for example, it retains a hitbox and effectively functions as a temporary shield as it falls? What if it becomes a normal item as it falls that can be caught and thrown? We could potentially get all of the positives of the boomerang with significantly less lag. I also wonder if this comes with any other changes to the boomerang. Does it finally stun like it does in wind waker? I really want to see more gameplay of him =).

I really want a lagless zair above all other things. I think that could be the biggest buff. Ya toon link needs frame data buffs both on start up and ending for sure. Grab frame data, zair and nair/bair would be sweeeet.
Also give us back zairless z-drop! I think if Toon Link just had better start up on a couple gtfo moves like jab and nair, and he had better air mobility to move in and out when following up on projectile confirms that alone could go a long way.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
I agree Disfunkshunal Disfunkshunal . A great jab and nair for those fast folks like fox,sonic,captain falcon and anyone really would be great!

I have a question. Has Toon Link ever had the ability to wall jump in Wind Waker? I don't really understand why he can do it, unless it's just to make him more different from Link.
I am not sure brother but we take those :']

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Nope, but they likely did it in Brawl to keep him similar to Young Link in Melee... who also couldn't do that in his original games, now that I think about it. It's just an extra thing, I guess.

Top Bottom