• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Me: "don't make me tap the post"

Kai and everyone still discussing what Kai brought up: *continues to discuss Goku*

Me: *taps*

Goku schmoku, we have actual Toriyama designed characters in Smash now and that's what we should be focusing on.

Especially since, *ahem* *points at thread title*

StormC

Smash Hero
Dragon Ball has had video games. Made by Bandai Namco.
I'm gonna be nice to you because you're a kid, but it's already been plainly stated by Sakurai that "no manga characters are allowed" and recently said Goku won't be in Smash. Don't call other people dumbasses if you don't have the facts yourself.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I think I have a theory on why Erdrick and Solo don't have their female counterparts. I believe it's because since the Luminary and Eight don't have female counterparts of their own, Sakurai and the team might have felt it would've be unfair to fans of DQ 8 and 11, since they wouldn't have the same options as fans of 3 and 4. This also could be paired the fact that the alts would be lopsided, since half of the hero has two recolors, while the other half has full new models.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Dragon Ball has had video games. Made by Bandai Namco.
Having video games doesn't make you a video game character. Mickey Mouse, Batman, the Walking Dead cast, South Park... You break a rule for one, you open the floodgates for all.

Sakurai has said the only characters who began in video games will be in. End of story.

Also, someone who can't spell the word "Thief" shouldn't be calling other people dumb-ass.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I think I have a theory on why Erdrick and Solo don't have their female counterparts. I believe it's because since the Luminary and Eight don't have female counterparts of their own, Sakurai and the team might have felt it would've be unfair to fans of DQ 8 and 11, since they wouldn't have the same options as fans of 3 and 4. This also could be paired the fact that the alts would be lopsided, since half of the hero has two recolors, while the other half has full new models.
They can also just make none of them recolors and fill in the remaining 2 slots with more protagonists. Pikachu proves that the Smash team doesn't mind making less than half of the color slots female, but it would make more sense on The Hero. After stewing on it for a bit, here's how I'd replace the recolors:

Dragon Quest 1 Hero (Descendant of Erdrick)
Dragon Quest 3 Female Hero (Female Erdrick)
Dragon Quest 4 Female Hero (Sofia)
Dragon Quest 6 Hero (Rek)

Aside from the female alts of the DQ3 and DQ4 heroes, the protagonist of the first and sixth games felt the most fitting to include to round out the color slots. The first game had a hero that could use magic, just like all the current playable heroes, while the sixth game introduced the modern vocation system of class changing, which would go on to be used and tweaked in DQ7 and DQ9 (dunno about DQ10). Every other hero from the series has a good reason to not be playable (2 can't use magic, 5 is more of a monster tamer and isn't the actual Hero class character, 7 is too short, and both 9 and 10 are completely customized by players despite having official art).

Only two of the eight slots go to female heroes, but this way it isn't awkward when it comes to giving certain heroes recolors and others gender swaps, which I think makes up for the gender swaps being an unequal number. The only problem is that this is much more work than recolors, and modeling 4 completely unique models for a single character (The Hero) was already going the extra mile.

All that said, I highly doubt that the Smash team is gonna remove the color swaps for each of the four playable Heroes. So to get the female DQ3 and DQ4 heroes playable, I'm hoping for some kind of scenario where we either get some kind of Echo Fighter called The Heroine, or color slots are expanded to something like 12 or 16 rather than 8 for certain characters / across the board to fit them in somehow. Neither possibility is likely at this point, but I'm hoping their absence is addressed at a later date because it really sucks not having them in the game.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
They can also just make none of them recolors and fill in the remaining 2 slots with more protagonists. Pikachu proves that the Smash team doesn't mind making less than half of the color slots female, but it would make more sense on The Hero. After stewing on it for a bit, here's how I'd replace the recolors:

Dragon Quest 1 Hero (Descendant of Erdrick)
Dragon Quest 3 Female Hero (Female Erdrick)
Dragon Quest 4 Female Hero (Sofia)
Dragon Quest 6 Hero (Rek)

Aside from the female alts of the DQ3 and DQ4 heroes, the protagonist of the first and sixth games felt the most fitting to include to round out the color slots. The first game had a hero that could use magic, just like all the current playable heroes, while the sixth game introduced the modern vocation system of class changing, which would go on to be used and tweaked in DQ7 and DQ9 (dunno about DQ10). Every other hero from the series has a good reason to not be playable (2 can't use magic, 5 is more of a monster tamer and isn't the actual Hero class character, 7 is too short, and both 9 and 10 are completely customized by players despite having official art).

Only two of the eight slots go to female heroes, but this way it isn't awkward when it comes to giving certain heroes recolors and others gender swaps, which I think makes up for the gender swaps being an unequal number. The only problem is that this is much more work than recolors, and modeling 4 completely unique models for a single character (The Hero) was already going the extra mile.

All that said, I highly doubt that the Smash team is gonna remove the color swaps for each of the four playable Heroes. So to get the female DQ3 and DQ4 heroes playable, I'm hoping for some kind of scenario where we either get some kind of Echo Fighter called The Heroine, or color slots are expanded to something like 12 or 16 rather than 8 for certain characters / across the board to fit them in somehow. Neither possibility is likely at this point, but I'm hoping their absence is addressed at a later date because it really sucks not having them in the game.
I'm hoping too for a Echo scenario or that was a swap button on Erdrick and Solo that you can swap their 4 slots to the female version and vice versa.

Edit: The Echo scenario would be nice if they put some different spells between then and different weapons in some attacks as DQIII and DQIV heroes aren't Sword locked like Eleven.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Kasumi gets added as a DLC echo fighter, I could imagine a DQ Heroine echo fighter being pretty possible too.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
If Kasumi gets added as a DLC echo fighter, I could imagine a DQ Heroine echo fighter being pretty possible too.
Don't know if Kasumi could be a Echo of Joker as it's very likely that she was cutted of been a costume as her fighting style is possible far different then Joker as she have a rapier and those things.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just a fair warning, Kai has previously hounded the Joker thread before this.

tenorbarney.gif

Don't know if Kasumi could be a Echo of Joker as it's very likely that she was cutted of been a costume as her fighting style is possible far different then Joker as she have a rapier and those things.
Yeah. It's very possible that they only got to the skeleton of the ponytail alt before getting scrapped, so the decision to have her in must have been changed early on in Joker's stages of development.

So it's unique, or go home. Otherwise, they won't have her in here, especially if the timing to advertise P5R is way too tight and they'd rather save precious devtime and resources for someone else.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Having video games doesn't make you a video game character. Mickey Mouse, Batman, the Walking Dead cast, South Park... You break a rule for one, you open the floodgates for all.

Sakurai has said the only characters who began in video games will be in. End of story.
It's because the Goldeneye motion sensor bomb, originated from a non-video game franchise (with significant videogame history). And Goldeneye has been left without any playable characters So thus, I believe that Goku can still be an assist trophy and leave Dragon Ball without any playable characters. Same goes with Hatsune Miku.
I knew that a long time ago. Not orginating from a video game is an automatic deconfirmation. But having Goku, Hatsune Miku or latest Yu-Gi-Oh protagonist as assist trophies, or just spirits wouldn't open floodgates for playable characters.

Just a fair warning, Kai has previously hounded the Joker thread before this.
Thanks for warning me!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Stop the Dragon Ball talk. Seriously. Not only is it off-topic (this is a thread about Dragon Quest, not Dragon Ball), but it's irrelevant because Goku (and Naruto, Yugi, Mickey Mouse, Batman, Spider-Man, etc.) is completely ineligible for Smash according to all of the information that we have, including multiple statements from Sakurai himself.

Also, there's no reason to get into personal insults. It's entirely possible to point out the flaws in someone's argument without insulting them as a person.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
So uh I'm playing the NES original DQ IV for the first time just to kill time before the hero launch. I played the remake years ago but felt like playing the original. It's still really good.

I'm blown away at how the fit this giant game on an NES cartridge. It feels more like an early SNES RPG than a NES one.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Stop the Dragon Ball talk. Seriously. Not only is it off-topic (this is a thread about Dragon Quest, not Dragon Ball), but it's irrelevant because Goku (and Naruto, Yugi, Mickey Mouse, Batman, Spider-Man, etc.) is completely ineligible for Smash according to all of the information that we have, including multiple statements from Sakurai himself.

Also, there's no reason to get into personal insults. It's entirely possible to point out the flaws in someone's argument without insulting them as a person.
Okay

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
So uh I'm playing the NES original DQ IV for the first time just to kill time before the hero launch. I played the remake years ago but felt like playing the original. It's still really good.

I'm blown away at how the fit this giant game on an NES cartridge. It feels more like an early SNES RPG than a NES one.
One of my luckier finds was blindly buying DQIV for 10 bucks in '96 at a rental shop that was closing down. Not only was it a killer NES RPG, but I got a great deal on it considering its value (and my current love for the series!). I still remember being blown away that Chapter 5 was where the game really got rolling, and the name I put in at the beginning of the game was applied to the new Hero character (I'd previously assumed that Ragnar was the game's hero).

D

Deleted member

Didn’t Square talk about remaking DQ3 after the 12th game?

Or was that regarding a later main entry instead?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With Hero's release apparently being in the next couple of weeks (if not the next couple of days), I think it's best to move the discussion to the Hero Social thread to keep it all in one place rather than having each costume (aside from Solo) being splintered off into its own discussion thread.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-hero-social-thread-under-construction.484867/

This thread (and the others based on Dragon Quest's heroes) will be preserved as it is so people can see how the support developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom