• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't play Dragon Quest but coming up with other characters as Spirits is sure fun
Erik::ultsonic:(Green)
Veronica::ultisabelle:(Red)
Serena::ultzelda:(Green)
Sylvando::ultsimon:(Black)
Jade::ultzss:(Blue Shorts)
Rab::ultmario:(Yellow)
Hendrik::ultike:(Black)

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I don't play Dragon Quest but coming up with other characters as Spirits is sure fun
Erik::ultsonic:(Green)
Veronica::ultisabelle:(Red)
Serena::ultzelda:(Green)
Sylvando::ultsimon:(Black)
Jade::ultzss:(Blue Shorts)
Rab::ultmario:(Yellow)
Hendrik::ultike:(Black)
I think Erik will be Joker.
But probably they will too bring spirits from III, IV, VIII, and probably the other heroes and some monsters.

D

Deleted member

I think Erik will be Joker.
But probably they will too bring spirits from III, IV, VIII, and probably the other heroes and some monsters.
I was thinking Sonic because like everyone else pointed out, is the hair

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking Sonic because like everyone else pointed out, is the hair
Make sense, but I thought that Joker been a thief, having a knife, a coat and practically the same size have more in common with Erik.

Also I think I should say this as he was so related to the Smash Community. Rest in Peace Etika.

If any of you guys are having problems, please search for help, don't let it consume you. I have depression too and know how hard is to talk with people about it, but it's the only way to start the treatment. Please speak with other people you trust and open your heart. And don't blame yourself. Also search for a doctor there's lots of mental illness that are physical, mine for example is physical and psychologic, I have a low production of serotonin and anxiety with social anxiety too.
We been through a long journey together this year and hope you guys been doing well, I consider all of you as friends.
Also, my messages are always open if you need, I'm not that good with the words, but I always try to help the best I can.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also again I'm no Dragon Quest fan but while I appreciate the Hero's inclusion in the game, however if I were to choose a palette swap I would've chosen the female Erdrick and Sofia (DQ4 Heroine) instead of Erdrick's "Abel" (DQ5) palette swap and Solo's "Alef" (DQ1) palette swap.
3rmkj0bvbix01-1.png
743px-Dq4_Heroine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Also again I'm no Dragon Quest fan but while I appreciate the Hero's inclusion in the game, however if I were to choose a palette swap I would've chosen the female Erdrick and Sofia (DQ4 Heroine) instead of Erdrick's "Abel" (DQ5) palette swap and Solo's "Alef" (DQ1) palette swap.View attachment 229558View attachment 229559
Not having the female versions of DQ3 and DQ4's protagonists is a huge bummer, yeah. I'm holding out for Sakurai or the Smash team maybe addressing their absence when they go over how The Hero works at a later date.

Until then I'm patiently waiting with Super Mario Maker 2 and Dragon Quest VIII 3DS to keep me busy.

D

Deleted member

Not having the female versions of DQ3 and DQ4's protagonists is a huge bummer, yeah. I'm holding out for Sakurai or the Smash team maybe addressing their absence when they go over how The Hero works at a later date.

Until then I'm patiently waiting with Super Mario Maker 2 and Dragon Quest VIII 3DS to keep me busy.
Or perhaps even go far by saying, assuming Nintendo will make consoles in the near-future, let's just hope for the female variants to be added in say a hypothetical future port of Smash Ultimate.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yes, it would. If that happened, you KNOW that people would respond with "if Goku can get in as an assist trophy, why can't (insert non-video game character here)?" or "if Goku can get in as an assist trophy, then why can't he be playable in a future game?"

It seems like there wouldn't be any advantage to it.
Now would having Goku as an assist trophy in Smash 6 affect the chances although he's deconfirmed. A good trade off would be to promote Waluigi to a playable character in return.

How would fans react to having Goku as an assist trophy?

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Now would having Goku as an assist trophy in Smash 6 affect the chances although he's deconfirmed. A good trade off would be to promote Waluigi to a playable character in return.

How would fans react to having Goku as an assist trophy?

Negatively. At least that's my belief. As I stated last page:

Look, I love Dragon Ball to death but the moment Smash lets anyone without a game origin join is the moment everything collapses and an amazing 20 year franchise goes straight down the sewer. Sales would plummet, especially after the masterpiece that is Ultimate. Would some people still buy it?, sure but the series would forever be nothing more than a wispy shadow of what it once was.

In the "gimme gimme" world we seem to exist in now, it's very easy to forget there's such a thing as getting too much.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Negatively. At least that's my belief. As I stated last page:
You're partially correct, those who support Goku, would be unsettle that he's not playable, detractors might feel a little concerned. But some detractors may be glad he's not a playable character, but he's still included in the game. Also, I've aforementioned that Goku's videogame history would also justify his reason for being an assist trophy.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
You're partially correct, those who support Goku, would be unsettle that he's not playable, detractors might feel a little concerned. But some detractors may be glad he's not a playable character, but he's still included in the game. Also, I've aforementioned that Goku's videogame history would also justify his reason for being an assist trophy.
Goku originated from a manga, so his history with video games, no matter how expansive, doesn’t matter. He’s an icon of manga and anime, not video games. If you want to see Goku fight Mario you can just boot up MUGEN. In my eyes there’s not much reason for him to be in other than to be a brief novelty for a moment.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Goku originated from a manga, so his history with video games, no matter how expansive, doesn’t matter. He’s an icon of manga and anime, not video games. If you want to see Goku fight Mario you can just boot up MUGEN. In my eyes there’s not much reason for him to be in other than to be a brief novelty for a moment.
Kai thinks Goku can still be an AT if Sakurai doesn't want to make him a fighter. This is despite how the potential hassle for licensing him that Sakurai doesn't want to deal with will extend to any sort of appearance Goku has in the game, not just a fighter.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Kai thinks Goku can still be an AT if Sakurai doesn't want to make him a fighter. This is despite how the potential hassle for licensing him that Sakurai doesn't want to deal with will extend to any sort of appearance Goku has in the game, not just a fighter.
You are right, even if Goku was just a spirit, and not an assist trophy nor playable, I would still be happy.

But assist trophies aren't playable, and they don't join the battle. Imagine how amazing it would be to see Goku appear as an assist trophy in duel between Mario and Sonic. Since assist trophies don't join the battle, it justifies why Goku can only be an assist trophy or only a spirit, but never playable. Even if fans continued to support Goku, in Smash 7, after Smash 6, Sakurai would most likely remove or retain him as an assist trophy.

Also, would having Goku as an assist trophy in Smash 6 lead to having more anime/manga assist trophies?

In fact, Goku and Mario actually had a minor crossover in a SNES commercial prior to the release of Smash 64.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Dude, buddy, I love Goku, really do, but why him?
I never wanted goku as a playable character, but I now want him as an assist trophy. He has had a major videogame history, if you read my previous posts you will find out.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Goku schmoku, we have actual Toriyama designed characters in Smash now and that's what we should be focusing on.

Especially since, *ahem* *points at thread title*

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Let's get back on topic. I keep hearing people say that we may get Hero sometime this week because of some French video and another update or something? How do we know a Smash update is on the way?

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
In the tweet they hinted at something about hero. I think we're at least getting a trailer this week and joker and plant both came out on Wednesday. So a trailer tomorrow and Wednesday release is possible.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
In the tweet they hinted at something about hero. I think we're at least getting a trailer this week and joker and plant both came out on Wednesday. So a trailer tomorrow and Wednesday release is possible.
Maybe all DLC characters will be released on a Wednesday.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
You are right, even if Goku was just a spirit, and not an assist trophy nor playable, I would still be happy.

But assist trophies aren't playable, and they don't join the battle. Imagine how amazing it would be to see Goku appear as an assist trophy in duel between Mario and Sonic. Since assist trophies don't join the battle, it justifies why Goku can only be an assist trophy or only a spirit, but never playable. Even if fans continued to support Goku, in Smash 7, after Smash 6, Sakurai would most likely remove or retain him as an assist trophy.

Also, would having Goku as an assist trophy in Smash 6 lead to having more anime/manga assist trophies?

In fact, Goku and Mario actually had a minor crossover in a SNES commercial prior to the release of Smash 64.

Say it with me now:
Goku. Is. Not. A. Video. Game. Character.

It doesn't matter whether or not assist trophies are playable when, like the playable cast, they are all FROM VIDEO GAMES. Smash is a celebration of gaming. Not. Manga. That's the end of the story.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice

I don’t have to imagine it because I already know what all his moves would potentially be and they’re all already in smash between different characters. This is mainly because Dragon Ball barely has any original moves. The pose for the Kamehameha wasn’t even original either. Hero himself does the same pose in the trailer:
422C9F82-C3E8-40C5-AC45-FD9A3AB80988.jpeg

Again, if you want to see Goku fight Mario, boot up MUGEN:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don’t have to imagine it because I already know what all his moves would potentially be and they’re all already in smash between different characters. This is mainly because Dragon Ball barely has any original moves. The pose for the Kamehameha wasn’t even original either. Hero himself does the same pose in the trailer:
View attachment 230612
For curiosity's sake, where was Kamehameha pose seen before DB?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
View attachment 230612
Holy ****! That's amazing! That move already looked DBZ-ish enough (specifically like Frieza's planet killer, but even more so in the DQ games) but doing the Kamehameha pose is icing on the cake!

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
For curiosity's sake, where was Kamehameha pose seen before DB?
Several martial arts techniques actually have poses akin to the Kamehameha. A couple examples would be Tae Kwon Doe’s “Taesan-milgi” and Okinawan karate’s “Sanchin”.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Several martial arts techniques actually have poses akin to the Kamehameha. A couple examples would be Tae Kwon Doe’s “Taesan-milgi” and Okinawan karate’s “Sanchin”.

I wouldn't say those are the same pose. They have a few similarities, but many differences. I think you're being super broad.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Chinese Shaolin Kung-Fu has a Dragon style which uses a lot of “kamehameha” palm strikes.

I’m not 100% sure as my martial arts knowledge might be rusty.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Say it with me now:

It doesn't matter whether or not assist trophies are playable when, like the playable cast, they are all FROM VIDEO GAMES. Smash is a celebration of gaming. Not. Manga. That's the end of the story.
I've always known that Goku isn't a video game character, which is why he would still be included in the game as an assist trophy, but never as a playable character. Thus including Goku as an assist trophy could be better than nothing. I've known that Smash is a celebration of gaming. But I don't think having Goku as an assist trophy would affect the chances of him being playable. He would still be deconfirmed all long.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've always known that Goku isn't a video game character, which is why he would still be included in the game as an assist trophy, but never as a playable character. I've known that Smash is a celebration of gaming. But I don't think having Goku as an assist trophy would affect the chances of him being playable. He would still be deconfirmed all long.
Why are you acting like Assist Trophies aren't video game exclusive?

Everything in Smash originates from video games and related mediums, not just playable characters. Goku can't get in Smash as a Mii costume, Spirit, trophy or item because he's created as a manga character. It shouldn't be that hard to understand this.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I've always known that Goku isn't a video game character, which is why he would still be included in the game as an assist trophy, but never as a playable character. Thus including Goku as an assist trophy could be better than nothing. I've known that Smash is a celebration of gaming. But I don't think having Goku as an assist trophy would affect the chances of him being playable. He would still be deconfirmed all long.

Everything in Smash originates from video games and related mediums, not just playable characters. Goku can't get in Smash as a Mii costume, Spirit, trophy or item because he's created as a manga character. It shouldn't be that hard to understand this.
I..... think what we're trying to say is, although there's probably more than a few people who might not mind *insert non game originating character here* as an assist trophy, the vast majority of Smash players would be against it. So while I know you mean no harm and your opinion is fair to have, it's not gonna gain much ground on these boards and will tend to anger people before it convinces them to agree.

Anyway, who knows? Anything can happen so dream if you want, just be ready for those who might push back if you bring it up :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only non-videogame stuff that we ever got in Smash were those Goldeneye items in Melee which got censored in Japan as Perfect Dark ones anyway.

But yeah, Goku won’t ever be an assist trophy.

That sillyness beside, I wonder if Erdrick and the other heroes will release this week.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm just saying if you obssessively propose Mario to be a support character in a Jump game, people are going to react negatively because it doesn't fit to what the game is about. Same thing here, adding manga content to a video game crossover makes no sense just because it's not as a playable role.

Sorry for going off-topic, by the way.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
The only non-videogame stuff that we ever got in Smash were those Goldeneye items in Melee which got censored in Japan as Perfect Dark ones anyway.

But yeah, Goku won’t ever be an assist trophy.

That sillyness beside, I wonder if Erdrick and the other heroes will release this week.
Were they even really GoldenEye items in the first place? They were always classified moreso as Smash series items and their designs in later games reflects this. Taking inspiration from the Goldeneye games for item ideas may have happened, but they've always just been smash items to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We're they even really GoldenEye items in the first place? They were always classified moreso as Smash series items and their designs in later games reflects this. Taking inspiration from the Goldeneye games for item ideas may have happened, but they've always just been smash items to me.
Exactly.

And that's why I think they don't really count too, besides the fact they got changed to Perfect Dark ones in Japan.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It's because the Goldeneye motion sensor bomb, originated from a non-video game franchise (with significant videogame history). And Goldeneye has been left without any playable characters So thus, I believe that Goku can still be an assist trophy and leave Dragon Ball without any playable characters. Same goes with Hatsune Miku.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
It's because the Goldeneye motion sensor bomb, originated from a non-video game franchise (with significant videogame history). And Goldeneye has been left without any playable characters So thus, I believe that Goku can still be an assist trophy and leave Dragon Ball without any playable characters. Same goes with Hatsune Miku.
The plans to Goldeneye elements inclusion was in a time were Smash wasn't that defined as a "game about games" and it was more like a place were Sakurai put the things he finds fun that Nintendo had the rights for. Also the Proximity Mines was made by Rare and are present in Perfect Dark too, so the original Motion Sensor Bomb could count more as a Perfect Dark item in the current Smash context, but since Brawl MSB was reworked as a Smash Original.
No character without a origin in some kind of game media will be part of Smash even if they are important to gaming history. It's a Smash thing. I doubt that even other media exclusive characters like those from Kirby's anime would ever make as Spirits, even they appearing in a Kirby's spin-off. Ash-Greninja is a special case, as it is just a form of a already existing game-original character and was fully implemented in the main series games already.
In Miku's, Vocaloid's case the thing is more gray, a bit just like Digimon. Vocaloid originated as a music synthesizer program, that can arguably be a virtual toy, like Digimon that originated from a Tamagochi-like toy. Considering that Game&Watch is categorized as a Virtual Toy too, I think those could be counted as Videogames too.
Now days both are prominently featured in solid game franchises as Digimon World/Stories and Project Diva, leaving both as more firm game characters, and owned by the respective game companies Bandai and Sega. So, that's a slim and debatble, but palpable chance for Miku, but more likely a Mii Costume. Same thing I would say to ,as an example, Agumon, but something make me think that some form of Digimon content is more plausible as it is more similar to the type of toy that G&W was.

To not only be negative on you, I think that maybe a character originated from a game of a already existing franchise could have a chance, although in my honest opinion I think it's really low as it would be almost without any content from it's home series, to be in Smash in some form. So I would say that it's more healthy to you expect Shallot or 21 in Smash then Goku. But as I said, keep it low.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
They re-designed those items and now also re-classified them as items from Smash and not Goldeneye. Plus, the items aren’t exactly Goldeneye originals, as in the concept of invisibility cloaks and land mines isn’t exactly a trademark of Goldeneye. Unlike Goku who is, uh, Goku. It’s not really the same.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Say it with me now:

Dragon Ball has had video games. Made by Bandai Namco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom