• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know that rules are if a character is not a videogame character including manga characters, it automatically deconfirms them. I'm pretty sure the same thing applies to fancharacters as well.

However, Sakurai didn't mention anything about having manga characters as assist trophies. So it could still make sense for Goku to be an assist trophy. It would be pretty nice along with having Goku, Krilllin, Piccolo, and Vegeta as spirits.

But would having Goku as an assist trophy or just a spirit open a pandora's box?
He didn't say anything about ATs because common sense is enough to get there's no loop hole to put an unrelated manga character into a video game crossover.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I know that rules are if a character is not a videogame character including manga characters, it automatically deconfirms them. I'm pretty sure the same thing applies to fancharacters as well.

However, Sakurai didn't mention anything about having manga characters as assist trophies. So it could still make sense for Goku to be an assist trophy. It would be pretty nice along with having Goku, Krilllin, Piccolo, and Vegeta as spirits.

But would having Goku as an assist trophy or just a spirit open a pandora's box?
Those type of characters probably won't be making it in regardless if they were manga or not no playable role and no assist trophies role even then there would be no reason to celebrate dragon ball z in any way in smash that series does fine smash is for games that's it lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's an unspoken rule that if characters aren't from games or strongly related to them, they'll be too much of a hassle to license for. This isn't Tekken.

Besides, there's already more than enough game characters to suggest and pick from, no need to bury less noticed ones even further by opening a proverbial Pandora's Box.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yes, it would. If that happened, you KNOW that people would respond with "if Goku can get in as an assist trophy, why can't (insert non-video game character here)?" or "if Goku can get in as an assist trophy, then why can't he be playable in a future game?"

It seems like there wouldn't be any advantage to it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Putting this subject aside, now that Hero is in here, will there be a consensus for which other DQ character should come in the next Smash? Slime seems obvious, but I'm curious to know if there's a particular secondary character people want to rally behind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Putting this subject aside, now that Hero is in here, will there be a consensus for which other DQ character should come in the next Smash? Slime seems obvious, but I'm curious to know if there's a particular secondary character people want to rally behind.
Some DQ Heroines or Yangus would be sweet.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
DQMonsters version of Terry, Jessica, Psaro, Jade(with Skill windows as specials), Zoma or Dragonlord, Rocket Slime( or a Slime that collaborates with other Slime Family Monsters), Anlucia(with Female Heros Alts), Buildrick(DQB2 as Default).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Goku was talked about in the erdrick thread :p

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Goku was talked about in the erdrick thread :p
Makes sense cause I've aforementioned that both Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest had the same artist.

Yes, it would. If that happened, you KNOW that people would respond with "if Goku can get in as an assist trophy, why can't (insert non-video game character here)?" or "if Goku can get in as an assist trophy, then why can't he be playable in a future game?"

It seems like there wouldn't be any advantage to it.
Those type of characters probably won't be making it in regardless if they were manga or not no playable role and no assist trophies role even then there would be no reason to celebrate dragon ball z in any way in smash that series does fine smash is for games that's it lol
The reason why Sakurai and the developers would never want to make Goku playable and only have him as an assist trophy is because if Goku was playable, it would be a step to having Naruto, Luffy, and Ichigo. Just like how adding Sonic was a step to having Megaman, Pacman and Simon. But having Goku as an assist trophy and never playable would be better than nothing. Typically, for those who have a potential to be playable, being an assist trophy is worse than not being present in the game at all. But in Goku's case keeping him as an assist trophy would prevent the pandora's box.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Makes sense cause I've aforementioned that both Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest had the same artist.
They all do. I meant especially because erdrick looks like goku the most. Eight has quite a few things that remind me of dragon ball too.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

The reason why Sakurai and the developers would never want to make Goku playable and only have him as an assist trophy is because if Goku was playable, it would be a step to having Naruto, Luffy, and Ichigo. Just like how adding Sonic was a step to having Megaman, Pacman and Simon. But having Goku as an assist trophy and never playable would be better than nothing. Typically, for those who have a potential to be playable, being an assist trophy is worse than not being present in the game at all. But in Goku's case keeping him as an assist trophy would prevent the pandora's box.
Well this thread wants to move on from this but no goku isn't gonna happen you want an anime fighting game go find them there are plenty to choose from and you have lots of options as I've said smash celebrates video games and the characters who originate from them the end

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
DQMonsters version of Terry, Jessica, Psaro, Jade(with Skill windows as specials), Zoma or Dragonlord, Rocket Slime( or a Slime that collaborates with other Slime Family Monsters), Anlucia(with Female Heros Alts), Buildrick(DQB2 as Default).
I always figured that for Terry, they can do an amalgam; bring in his adult self with abilities included, but have him sic monsters from DQM on people for some of his attacks.

Although the major villains may have to wait until after some of the noteworthy secondaries get in first.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hello everyone, I'm back from my hiatus. I'm still sad that we haven't seen female Erdrick from DQ3 or Sofia from DQ4, but for the time being I'm willing to have optimism that Sakurai or Nintendo will address the issue in a later update. I'm also not surprised my thread got locked, it looked like it got heated after I left, though I appreciate that many users felt similarly to myself regarding the missing female versions of The Hero.

While I wait for that, I wanted to let everyone know that I finished Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS last night. As such, I'd like to update my little written section on the game that's in the OP, the one for "which games should you start with?" Here's my new blurb for it:
  • Dragon Quest 7. The game is almost like a giant compilation of entertaining short stories, but the emphasis is on "giant". The story has a cool premise where you travel back in time on various islands to save them all from ruin in the present, each acting as a chapter on it's own, but to fully do that, you need to thoroughly explore each island you save both in the past and in the present. This particular game is loooooong, bar none the longest Dragon Quest game in the series not including side quests, because of all the running around and careful combing you do of every room and every dungeon of every island across both time periods. Lots of backtracking in this one, though it's mitigated by the absolutely enormous script, with nearly every NPC in the game having their dialogue changed after almost every event in the game, so as you talk to everyone while searching for ways to resurrect the next island, you won't be bored hearing the same thing over and over again. I'd definitely recommend this game only for players who have already beaten a Dragon Quest game and have decided they want a cozy, longform adventure that will last them a long time, but for your first Dragon Quest? Well, you should really know what kind of commitment you're making before you jump in, if you decide to make this one your first.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hello everyone, I'm back from my hiatus. I'm still sad that we haven't seen female Erdrick from DQ3 or Sofia from DQ4, but for the time being I'm willing to have optimism that Sakurai or Nintendo will address the issue in a later update. I'm also not surprised my thread got locked, it looked like it got heated after I left, though I appreciate that many users felt similarly to myself regarding the missing female versions of The Hero.

While I wait for that, I wanted to let everyone know that I finished Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS last night. As such, I'd like to update my little written section on the game that's in the OP, the one for "which games should you start with?" Here's my new blurb for it:
  • Dragon Quest 7. The game is almost like a giant compilation of entertaining short stories, but the emphasis is on "giant". The story has a cool premise where you travel back in time on various islands to save them all from ruin in the present, each acting as a chapter on it's own, but to fully do that, you need to thoroughly explore each island you save both in the past and in the present. This particular game is loooooong, bar none the longest Dragon Quest game in the series not including side quests, because of all the running around and careful combing you do of every room and every dungeon of every island across both time periods. Lots of backtracking in this one, though it's mitigated by the absolutely enormous script, with nearly every NPC in the game having their dialogue changed after almost every event in the game, so as you talk to everyone while searching for ways to resurrect the next island, you won't be bored hearing the same thing over and over again. I'd definitely recommend this game only for players who have already beaten a Dragon Quest game and have decided they want a cozy, longform adventure that will last them a long time, but for your first Dragon Quest? I'd advise against it.
DQ7 was my real first dragon quest adventure (that i was interested enough to stick with), and I really liked it, and it got me into the series, so I dont know if i would advise against it, but definitely someone should know what they're in for.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
DQ7 was my real first dragon quest adventure (that i was interested enough to stick with), and I really liked it, and it got me into the series, so I dont know if i would advise against it, but definitely someone should know what they're in for.
I suppose that's a better way of putting it, I'll rephrase the last line, gimme a sec.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I suppose that's a better way of putting it, I'll rephrase the last line, gimme a sec.
Cool. I'll change it in the opening post.
You've played quite a bit of the games in the series now :)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Cool. I'll change it in the opening post.
You've played quite a bit of the games in the series now :)
Oh, can you move it from the "don't start with this one" section to the "I'm iffy on these" section as well? I'm not as down on the game now that I've beaten it and see its merits.

Edit: and yeah, I've already ordered DQ8 on the 3DS in the mail. My goal to play all the main single player Dragon Quest games before DQ11S comes out is nearly done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, can you move it from the "don't start with this one" section to the "I'm iffy on these" section as well? I'm not as down on the game now that I've beaten it and see its merits.

Edit: and yeah, I've already ordered DQ8 on the 3DS in the mail. My goal to play all the main single player Dragon Quest games before DQ11S comes out is nearly done.
Hopefully you enjoy DQ8 as much as I do!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Done.
Funnily enough I thought it was in the iffy section and pasted it there before i saw your post, haha. Good thing you posted about it.

I hope i come across the 3ds version on sale sometime somewhere. I have to fix my 3ds too tho, or buy another one.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hopefully you enjoy DQ8 as much as I do!
I'm looking forward to it! That said, I'm gonna play a game or two before DQ8, because I just finished DQ7 and that one was a doozy of a timesink.

After that, I'm gonna take a longer break to simulate the wait DQ fans needed to go through to get another single player Dragon Quest game after 8, as 9 and 10 were largely multiplayer-focused.

Done.
Funnily enough I thought it was in the iffy section and pasted it there before i saw your post, haha. Good thing you posted about it.

I hope i come across the 3ds version on sale sometime somewhere. I have to fix my 3ds too tho, or buy another one.
From what I've read, the 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII is vastly improved. The new localization makes the huge script more entertaining to read, and the new Monster Meadows feature allows you to cheese class progression by allowing you to grind slimes for a measly 2 hours to get to the advanced classes. I never did that myself, but that's a good tip for those who may want a faster way to get better skills.

There's a new feature on the touch screen that lets you know if a Mapshard / fragment is in the area / room you're in, as well, as apparently there were plenty of mapshards / fragments that were very difficult to locate or easy to miss.

The most obvious comparison are the graphics, of course.

Edit: You mentioned hoping to get it on sale. Well, I got my brand new copy of DQ7 3DS on eBay for about $25 without paying for tax or shipping. If you look around you can find more deals around that price point like that, I came across them while looking for a deal on DQ8 3DS.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm looking forward to it! That said, I'm gonna play a game or two before DQ8, because I just finished DQ7 and that one was a doozy of a timesink.

After that, I'm gonna take a longer break to simulate the wait DQ fans needed to go through to get another single player Dragon Quest game after 8, as 9 and 10 were largely multiplayer-focused.

From what I've read, the 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII is vastly improved. The new localization makes the huge script more entertaining to read, and the new Monster Meadows feature allows you to cheese class progression by allowing you to grind slimes for a measly 2 hours to get to the advanced classes. I never did that myself, but that's a good tip for those who may want a faster way to get better skills.

There's a new feature on the touch screen that lets you know if a Mapshard / fragment is in the area / room you're in, as well, as apparently there were plenty of mapshards / fragments that were very difficult to locate or easy to miss.

Oh. I thought it was the 3ds version that you played yourself.
What I really want too is to see the characters and all the class costumes :)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Oh. I thought it was the 3ds version that you played yourself.
What I really want too is to see the characters and all the class costumes :)
It was, my phrasing was to refer to "I remember Teeb played the original PS1 version, what can she expect in the remake?"

And yeah, all the costumes for the different classes are great. Ruff (the wolf boy) sometimes has the wolf they're riding wear costumes as well (the wolf wears a clown nose as a Jester, a top hat as a Luminary, etc.)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It was, my phrasing was to refer to "I remember Teeb played the original PS1 version, what can she expect in the remake?"

And yeah, all the costumes for the different classes are great. Ruff (the wolf boy) sometimes has the wolf they're riding wear costumes as well (the wolf wears a clown nose as a Jester, a top hat as a Luminary, etc.)
have you tried 4-6 at all or even 9

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
have you tried 4-6 at all or even 9
I've beaten and enjoyed Dragon Quests 1-7 already. I'm skipping 9 because while I heard I can play it single player, I would rather do it multiplayer, and I don't know anyone near me that would like to play with me (online no longer works for any Wii / DS game since the servers were shut down). Dragon Quest 10 is impossible for anyone outside of Japan to play at all, which is why there is so little info on the game on English wikis.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've beaten and enjoyed Dragon Quests 1-7 already. I'm skipping 9 because while I heard I can play it single player, I would rather do it multiplayer, and I don't know anyone near me that would like to play with me (online no longer works for any Wii / DS game since the servers were shut down). Dragon Quest 10 is impossible for anyone outside of Japan to play at all, which is why there is so little info on the game on English wikis.
9 might have a few things against it , but it's one of my favorites and i've only played it single player. I think it makes it easier in a way since you can have the same exp as your team by sticking with them instead of going off into others' worlds. I think someone who likes 3 can probably like it.

I have a love-hate thing going with 9's class system tho, because i like being able to switch classes whenever and gaining something from them, but i dont like that levels and stats are entirely tied to them, besides the bonuses you get from using skill points.

It's possible to play 10 but it takes a lot of work :p Not gonna try, but i'd definitely give it a go if it came to the west.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
9 might have a few things against it , but it's one of my favorites and i've only played it single player. I think it makes it easier in a way since you can have the same level as your team by sticking with them instead of going off into others' worlds. I think someone who likes 3 can probably like it.

I have a love-hate thing going with 9's class system, because i like being able to switch classes whenever and gaining something from it, but i dont like that levels and stats are entirely tied to them, besides the bonuses you get from using skill points.

It's possible to play 10 but it takes a lot of work :p Not gonna try, but i'd definitely give it a go if it came to the west.
Well that does make me feel more open on the idea of playing the game by myself, and yeah I don't mind the quirk you describe. Ultimately though I'll hold off on playing it until after Dragon Quest 11 for Switch.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well that does make me feel more open on the idea of playing the game by myself, and yeah I don't mind the quirk you describe. Ultimately though I'll hold off on playing it until after Dragon Quest 11 for Switch.
11S definitely seems like a good one .

For 9, what some people do is that they stick to one class for each character, and then just use the other classes sometimes to grind skills points. Because you actually dont need to spend the points on the class you get them with :p

Also, there's a Lot of side quests in it (optional, but some are to get good stuff for classes). Sometimes i feel like a little too much, but it also adds quite a bit of stuff to do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Playing Dragon Quest 8 still. The highlights of my sessions so far has been Yangus successfully nailing a Hatchet Man on metal slimes. Great stuff.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Playing Dragon Quest 8 still. The highlights of my sessions so far has been Yangus successfully nailing a Hatchet Man on metal slimes. Great stuff.
Landing a Hatchet Man always feels good. I beat a couple of bosses in Dragon Quest 6 and 7 that way, haha

D

Deleted member

Landing a Hatchet Man always feels good. I beat a couple of bosses in Dragon Quest 6 and 7 that way, haha
Oh I'm too much of a chicken to try it constantly on bosses. Yangus's MP is solely for the purposes of giving Jessica MP when she runs out.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest 8 is a weirdly fun time now. Got past the Dark Ruins dungeon, and here are my thoughts so far on the story.

So basically, I got to the ice area of the game and beat Dhoulmagus. I remember very little of Dragon Quest 8 growing up, but I could have sworn Dhoulmagus was the penultimate boss before Rhapthorne. I must have been thinking of Ruins, instead.

Anyways, I'm gonna be honest. I'm glad I fought Dhoulmagus now. If the story was just us chasing Dhoulmagus until the end of the game, I would have probably checked out right about now. I get this game's narrative is all about the small moments that happen during the party's adventure, but the overall narrative wasn't doing me any favors by having Dhoulmagus be this elusive figure. There are only so many fetch quests I can do before the game starts to waste my time.

Speaking of, the Dhoulmagus fight was pretty ****ing intense. Dude was incredibly strong and threw a lot of damaging spells at you. I came in with everybody comfortably at around level 31 because I grinded metal slimes to the east of Argonia. If I didn't have Angelo's multiheal spell, I don't know how someone could have beaten this boss without a lot of reviving. Add how I forgot to give someone the MP elixer item and suddenly, Angelo was running out of MP. It really came down to the last couple of turns before Dhoulmagus could wipe my party because of MP attrition.

Now while we're still technically chasing Dhoulmagus, we have some interesting developments regarding his goal and different things to chase. We know his goal is to revive Rhapthorne and he needs to kill 7 specific people to do so. It's weirdly satisfying to realize every murder up until now had relevance to the overall narrative. Now we really have to stop Dhoulmagus.

Or technically Leopold now that he has the staff. I'm actually hype about fighting Leopold. In the Monster Joker series, Leopold is constantly ranked at least A rank for monsters, and I always thought to myself, "Leopold? That's a pretty fancy name for a demon." Now I know the context behind that Leopold monster.

Also, I'm really glad to have Medea be an actual character now. I figured she was important to the protagonist, but I wasn't really feeling saving the King and the princess were that big of a concern. I'm not sure if this is 3DS specific, but napping at inns after specific story sections gives 1-on-1 conversations with her, which is great to reinforce that she's a person I want to save. Before the magic spring cutscene, I was like, "Okay. Save the princess. Whatever." Now after understanding that we're childhood friends and that she's a nice person to be around, I'm like, "Okay. Save the princess because she's a friend."
Really, I'm shocked they didn't do this sooner because it would have made some of the earlier boring sections of the game more interesting. Establish the personal motivation for why I should carry out this mission rather than have King Trode order me to do it.

So yeah, the story's getting better. If I could describe it, it would be "Slow burner." Something you look back on fondly but sometimes difficult to appreciate in the moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Look, I love Dragon Ball to death but the moment Smash lets anyone without a game origin join is the moment everything collapses and an amazing 20 year franchise goes straight down the sewer. Sales would plummet, especially after the masterpiece that is Ultimate. Would some people still buy it?, sure but the series would forever be nothing more than a wispy shadow of what it once was.

In the "gimme gimme" world we seem to exist in now, it's very easy to forget there's such a thing as getting too much.
In my opinion, it's best to operate in terms of "closest thing you'll ever get" in regards to licensed character wants and just settle for those.

Kazuma Kiryu? Kenshiro as a mobster.
Monokuma? Jigsaw as a teddy bear.
Hero? Well, take a guess.

I mean, it's Smash Bros, not Soul Calibur/Tekken/Mortal Kombat, one should best leave the licensed guests to those. And we know how out of hand it got for SC.

11S definitely seems like a good one .

For 9, what some people do is that they stick to one class for each character, and then just use the other classes sometimes to grind skills points. Because you actually dont need to spend the points on the class you get them with :p

Also, there's a Lot of side quests in it (optional, but some are to get good stuff for classes). Sometimes i feel like a little too much, but it also adds quite a bit of stuff to do.
It helps that 11S has a 16-bit mode, that'll definitely make that version the most optimal one to go for.

Edit: You mentioned hoping to get it on sale. Well, I got my brand new copy of DQ7 3DS on eBay for about $25 without paying for tax or shipping. If you look around you can find more deals around that price point like that, I came across them while looking for a deal on DQ8 3DS.
Let's not forget that its packaging format doesn't end up spoiling the game's structure like the original did. Just in case you wanted to be surprised.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The 3DS remake seems like the most optimal way to play Dragon Quest 7. Not only because of graphics but because of efficiency. On How Long to Beat, Dragon Quest 7 3DS takes 73 hours to beat. Sounds long relative to the other Dragon Quest games like 4 and 5...

But the original PS1 release of Dragon Quest 7 is listed to take 106 hours to beat!

I look forward to playing this game eventually because now I can play Dragon Quest 7 while saving about 30 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
I tried dq7 PS1 and could not get into it, like at all. Maybe one day I'll find the 3ds version cheap and play that one.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Feel like I should bring this up.

Maybe, now that there's a general Hero thread, we could move all talk not directly related to Erdrick / Dragon Quest III to that one.

This was our original social thread, yeah, but it would make it better for DQ fans who haven't played DQ3 yet to feel included in general Dragon Quest conversations. This was only our original "general DQ thread" since we all initially figured they'd only go with Erdrick and now that's been disproven.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Feel like I should bring this up.

Maybe, now that there's a general Hero thread, we could move all talk not directly related to Erdrick / Dragon Quest III to that one.

This was our original social thread, yeah, but it would make it better for DQ fans who haven't played DQ3 yet to feel included in general Dragon Quest conversations. This was only our original "general DQ thread" since we all initially figured they'd only go with Erdrick and now that's been disproven.
I wouldn't worry about it, since there arent that many people playing dq3 or something, but yeah now that it's there it can be for more often for general stuff (in the hero social, i mean)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I wouldn't worry about it, since there arent that many people playing dq3 or something, but yeah now that it's there it can be for more often for general stuff (in the hero social, i mean)
Yeah that's the plan, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom