• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'm glad that the heroes from Dragon Quest (including erdrick as a skin) finally made it in.

Also, since Dragon Quest's artist was Akira Toriyama, I can literally see the chances of Goku being an assist trophy in Smash 6.
whoa there bud don't want to rain on the parade but Goku is still an anime character smash is a celebration of videogames Dragon quest getting in is big but not hey lets get 4th party characters in big

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I found a vid that's purely Japanese reactions so hear yeah go honestly this just makes me happy I know they were happy but I just goes to show that those dumb people saying that the Japanese weren't asking for DQ characters it just shows that we don't know anything hear how happy they are someone is actually crying in this tears of happiness
Finally found someone that reacted like me to The Hero.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The moment you knew for sure was coming when Eight and and Solo showed up (or even earlier):

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm glad that the heroes from Dragon Quest (including erdrick as a skin) finally made it in.

Also, since Dragon Quest's artist was Akira Toriyama, I can literally see the chances of Goku being an assist trophy in Smash 6.
DQ characters are owned by SE, not Toriyama. Us getting Erdrick doesn't affect the chances of a manga character making it into Smash, which is zero, by the way.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I am so happy he really made it. It's been ages since I last posted in this topic but I never stopped hoping the rumours were true. And I really couldn't be happier with how the Heroes turned out! My new main for sure.

It's also great to see people all over the internet now willing and interested in giving Dragon Quest a shot. Even one of my friends who's always known me for how much I love Dragon Quest is interested in trying it now!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So, I was thinking, in a future game, if Nintendo were to replace the 4 recolor skins with 4 additional Hero skins, which would they be, and what would their sword/shield be?

Personally, the 3 Heroes that I would have to leave out would be 7(he's a different height than all the other Heroes) and 9 and 10(who are player created and even though there are "official" appearances for them, they can technically look however the player wants them to).

As for sword/shield:
1 and 2 should have Erdrick's Sword and Shield as, like with Erdrick and Luminary, they're their strongest weapons in their game(2 has some stronger weapons, but they're either cursed, or end up being generic weapons later in the series).

5 should use the Metal King Sword and Shield. They're his strongest weapon and shield, and they were first introduced in that game.

6 should use the same Zenithian Sword and Shield like 4. The Metal King equipment IS in DQ6 and is technically better, but the Zenithian gear is his big story-based final gear.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
So, I was thinking, in a future game, if Nintendo were to replace the 4 recolor skins with 4 additional Hero skins, which would they be, and what would their sword/shield be?
DQI Hero with Erdrick's Sword & Shield
DQVI Hero with Zenithian Sword & Shield
Female Erdrick with Erdrick's Sword & Shield
Female Solo (forget her name) with Zenithian Sword & Shield

DQII Hero is a no because he can't use magic, and as much as I like him, DQV Hero is a no because he's canonically a staff user and having him use a sword and shield in a setting like this would just feel kinda wrong.

Also, this is discounting the fact DQXII and maybe other future DQs would have released by the time the next Smash rolls around

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Dq5 is always presented with a staff, but metal king equipment and he himself is iconic, they are even making a movie off 5, so sure! 5 is my second favorite behind 8, or maybe third behind 9..

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Part of me wants the rest to be an all female cast consisting of:
Femdrick
Sofía
Girl Celestrian
Anlucia (I cant un waifu her now)

On the other hand, I’d love to play as Heroes from 1,2,5, and 6. (If we can get Mii costumes for 7 and 9 then cool).

i think an all female set of 4 would be fantastic. This could even help convince more people to play as Hero.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Female Erdrick with Erdrick's Sword & Shield
Female Solo (forget her name) with Zenithian Sword & Shield
I'd rather see more DQ games get their first rep before other games got a 2nd.

DQII Hero is a no because he can't use magic
Granted, but by the same token, Simon can use a bunch of Richter's moves that he can't use in his own games just so they can share a moveset.

as much as I like him, DQV Hero is a no because he's canonically a staff user and having him use a sword and shield in a setting like this would just feel kinda wrong.
Look at his weapon options. Most of them are swords, and the staff that he's shown using in his artwork is one of his earliest weapons.

All the other Smash Heroes are using their endgame weaponry. It wouldn't make sense for him to be using an Oaken Staff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey y'all. I finally started playing Dragon Quest 8 3DS now that I got the time.

There's one thing I've hit a wall on. I got my first level up where I could allocate skill points for the main hero. Does anyone have an idea on what areas I should focus on most? I figure swords and courage are a good start.

This question applies to all party members like Yangus and Angelo (for future reference).

D

Deleted member

The moment you knew for sure was coming when Eight and and Solo showed up (or even earlier):

That trailer played with my heart a bit. The second I saw Luminary getting his ass kicked, I immediately thought Erdrick was coming. Which is why I became confused when Eight and Solo were revealed and was like, "Wait where's Erdrick? Oh there he is! Yeah!"

D

Deleted member

Hey y'all. I finally started playing Dragon Quest 8 3DS now that I got the time.

There's one thing I've hit a wall on. I got my first level up where I could allocate skill points for the main hero. Does anyone have an idea on what areas I should focus on most? I figure swords and courage are a good start.

This question applies to all party members like Yangus and Angelo (for future reference).
Weapon of choice + their unique skill tree (like Courage for hero, etc.)
My recommendations would be...
Hero - Swords or spears
Yangus - Axes
Jessica - Whips
Angelo - Bows
Red - Knives or fans
Morrie - Claws

D

Deleted member

Weapon of choice + their unique skill tree (like Courage for hero, etc.)
My recommendations would be...
Hero - Swords or spears
Yangus - Axes
Jessica - Whips
Angelo - Bows
Red - Knives or fans
Morrie - Claws
Looks like focusing on one skill tree to get the best attacks seems like a good idea (plus their skill tree). Went swords for Hero and Axes for Yangus so far. Thanks!

D

Deleted member

Glad to see Osby on this thread too, btw.

Hopefully they enjoy Hero as much as many of us here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Glad to see Osby on this thread too, btw.

Hopefully they enjoy Hero as much as many of us here.
Thanks. I'm not a Dragon Quest fan but their trailer really sold Hero to me. I can't wait to try them out.

Also, "he" is fine.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Just pick whichever weapon you like plus their special skills, but i'll say the same thing I said before about jessica, the whips overlap a bit with her sex appeal skills, and staff may be better overall if you like magic. But whips can look cool so it's entirely up to you ;) (and i guess you can save a bit of mp if you just use 'attack' often, whips can hit small groups.)
You can't go wrong so long as you dont waste points on extra weapons. But there's some cases where you can have more than one weapon, but it can take a bit more thought going into it.

Like for me I went both in boomerangs as well as swords for the hero because he has more skill points and i was getting bored of so many fights so i wanted them to end quicker. But that was on ps2. On the 3ds you can skip fights so there aren't as many.

I say just go with what feels good to you :) If you want more precise using of skill points then we can talk more about it ;p

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that since Square Enix seemed to be more generous with having Dragon Quest content in Smash than they were with Final Fantasy content, maybe we might actually see Mii Fighter costumes from Dragon Quest? Or do we only expect Slime Mii hat?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking that since Square Enix seemed to be more generous with having Dragon Quest content in Smash than they were with Final Fantasy content, maybe we might actually see Mii Fighter costumes from Dragon Quest? Or do we only expect Slime Mii hat?
I could see a slime hat on brawler. We'll probably see other SE ones, which will be interesting to see which.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
whoa there bud don't want to rain on the parade but Goku is still an anime character smash is a celebration of videogames Dragon quest getting in is big but not hey lets get 4th party characters in big
But If Goku became an assist trophy in Smash 6 to honor Akira Toriyama, it would be because Sakurai and the developers wouldn't want to make Goku playable, but still include him in the game.

Now that we have the heroes from Dragon Quest as playable characters, I would be even happier if they added Goku as an assist trophy in Smash 6. But I would be upset if Goku was playable.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
But If Goku became an assist trophy in Smash 6 to honor Akira Toriyama, it would be because Sakurai and the developers wouldn't want to make Goku playable, but still include him in the game.

Now that we have the heroes from Dragon Quest as playable characters, I would be even happier if they added Goku as an assist trophy in Smash 6. But I would be upset if Goku was playable.
That's not going to happen. It doesn't make sense to go through all of the rights issues, and create the precedent for having non-video-game characters appear in Smash Bros., over an assist trophy.

If companies lose the rights to these sorts of characters, the games tend to get taken down - look at what happened to the digital versions of Marvel vs. Capcom titles, the Capcom-made JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game, Telltale games like Poker Night at the Inventory, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2.

Even Tekken 3, one of the more popular installments in Namco-Bandai's premiere fighting game franchise, rarely gets re-released because of licensing issues with a manga character (Gon, a farting boxing dinosaur).

It makes no sense whatsoever for them to do that; the benefits seem borderline non-existent, and the costs and drawbacks would be enormous.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

All Assist Trophies we have are video game characters.

It makes no sense to act like manga characters can get into Smash if they aren't playable.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, I would like to see Smash 6 gut out the palette limitation entirely so that the rest of the adult heroes can get in as alts. Adding a playable secondary DQ character at the same time would be a bonus.

That's not going to happen. It doesn't make sense to go through all of the rights issues, and create the precedent for having non-video-game characters appear in Smash Bros., over an assist trophy.

If companies lose the rights to these sorts of characters, the games tend to get taken down - look at what happened to the digital versions of Marvel vs. Capcom titles, the Capcom-made JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game, Telltale games like Poker Night at the Inventory, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2.

Even Tekken 3, one of the more popular installments in Namco-Bandai's premiere fighting game franchise, rarely gets re-released because of licensing issues with a manga character (Gon, a farting boxing dinosaur).

It makes no sense whatsoever for them to do that; the benefits seem borderline non-existent, and the costs and drawbacks would be enormous.
And not even beat 'em ups are exempted from this, as Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World can attest to. Even worse, since it's digital only...And Ubisoft still hasn't done a damn thing in regards to rereleasing it.

But none of this will stop people from asking for licensed characters, as long as they aren't in the public domain. :drshrug:

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

They wouldn't do that because he's a manga character smash is for video game characters only lol

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
People really got to let goku go Dragon Quest is as close as your getting to goku anything give this one up and this isn't gonna turn out to be one of those things where people said k-rool or banjo ain't happening either goku just ain't making it lol

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Looks like focusing on one skill tree to get the best attacks seems like a good idea (plus their skill tree). Went swords for Hero and Axes for Yangus so far. Thanks!
Will say whips got nerfed in 3ds. Go staff on her and use magic. Her knives were buffed but not enough imo. Her strongest skill is 100 fisticuffs, but doesn't give much beforehand. Evasion isn't bad and thin air is good, but she has aoe spells and the evasion can be gotten later for postgame bosses.

Level 99 gives 350 skill points and while going 1 skill and the character specific skill is simpler there you can be more optimal imo as many 100 skill points are not worth the investment. Like Spears gets its most useful skill at 59 and boomerangs at 52 etc.

Again, the game can be beaten with anything and I wouldn't stress about it.

4th character can work with anything. Staff and fisticuffs for support or bows for a mix of support and damage and swords to kill metal slimes. His 5th tree is ok gives some crucial skills and some rather unimportant ones.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh snap. I realized that I can't save in the middle of dungeons. Well that makes things more stressful, but also more interesting. Luckily the first boss wasn't a big challenge.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh snap. I realized that I can't save in the middle of dungeons. Well that makes things more stressful, but also more interesting. Luckily the first boss wasn't a big challenge.
Well, that's always an extra challenge for dragon quest games.
You either have to go back to town to replenish and try again, or try your luck :p

At least( in the later ones?) you dont lose your progress if you die, or maybe it's always been like that. I think you lose half your money. I dont know when that started tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, that's always an extra challenge for dragon quest games.
You either have to go back to town to replenish and try again, or try your luck :p

At least( in the later ones?) you dont lose your progress if you die, or maybe it's always been like that. I think you lose half your money. I dont know when that started tho.
I guess I just have to play extra carefully relative to something like Persona. Alright then. I look at it as a positive because that just means beating the bosses feels more satisfying.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess I just have to play extra carefully relative to something like Persona. Alright then. I look at it as a positive because that just means beating the bosses feels more satisfying.
Yup it's its own kind of challenge and reward :)
But i find it so much less concerning than other rpgs where you can lose progress if you die, or fire emblem where you can lose a character permanently. I think we already talked about FE actually ;p, but anyway i like how dq does it, except that it's kind of hard sometimes before you learn revive spells.

In DQ3 the merchant can get a skill to call on shop owners and even a priest, you can't save with it but you can do everything else (at a high money cost), I find that pretty interesting too.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
All Assist Trophies we have are video game characters.

It makes no sense to act like manga characters can get into Smash if they aren't playable.
I know that rules are if a character is not a videogame character including manga characters, it automatically deconfirms them. I'm pretty sure the same thing applies to fancharacters as well.

If Goku became an assist trophy in Smash 6 to honor Akira Toriyama, it would be because Sakurai and the developers wouldn't want to make Goku playable, but still include him in the game.
They wouldn't do that because he's a manga character smash is for video game characters only lol
However, Sakurai didn't mention anything about having manga characters as assist trophies. So it could still make sense for Goku to be an assist trophy. It would be pretty nice along with having Goku, Krilllin, Piccolo, and Vegeta as spirits.

But would having Goku as an assist trophy or just a spirit open a pandora's box?

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Look, I love Dragon Ball to death but the moment Smash lets anyone without a game origin join is the moment everything collapses and an amazing 20 year franchise goes straight down the sewer. Sales would plummet, especially after the masterpiece that is Ultimate. Would some people still buy it?, sure but the series would forever be nothing more than a wispy shadow of what it once was.

In the "gimme gimme" world we seem to exist in now, it's very easy to forget there's such a thing as getting too much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom