• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I love seeing people say "Hero reuses animations!"
Cause, so does Joker :^)

Tbh, Hero is looking to be a very unique character. Several different spells mapped to each directional special button and a mana bar, making him the games first TRUE resource character.

What we know so far:

Up Special: (Ka)Swoosh and Zoom
Neutral Special: Sizzle, Psyche Up, Oomph, Snooze
Side Special(?): Zap, Kacrackle Slash
Down Special: Kaclang and freaking Kamikaze

I wonder what other spells they could add (also pls tell if missing anything)

EDIT: Hell, I would honestly call Hero more unique than Joker if we're looking at movesets. Arsene is used as a honestly dumb comeback mechanic instead of being incorporated into Jokers moveset (like Bayo) Hero just, plays like a JRPG character. Stays true to his game

EDIT 2: IT TOOK MY BRAIN A FEW MIN TO REALIZE HERO HAS PSYCHE UP, OH GOD THEY'RE PUTTING TENSION IN SMASH.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Tbh, Hero is looking to be a very unique character. Several different spells mapped to each directional special button and a mana bar, making him the games first TRUE resource character.

What we know so far:

EDIT: Hell, I would honestly call Hero more unique than Joker if we're looking at movesets. Arsene is used as a honestly dumb comeback mechanic instead of being incorporated into Jokers moveset (like Bayo) Hero just, plays like a JRPG character. Stays true to his game

EDIT 2: IT TOOK MY BRAIN A FEW MIN TO REALIZE HERO HAS PSYCHE UP, OH GOD THEY'RE PUTTING TENSION IN SMASH.
For me the Hero's are Robin but you know GOOD

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
Fellas which Hero alt you claiming?

Terry is a big meme in my friend group, so I HAVE to rep Eights Terry alt.
It might be a little boring, but I gotta represent Erdrick. I've been playing Dragon Quest III on Game Boy Color and it's awesome.

I've also always liked the DQ4 protagonist's design, so I'll be using him as a secondary. Shame we didn't get a female alt for him but I wasn't expecting model swaps to begin with, so I'm still grateful.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I got hopes that The Hero will come out at the end of June/beginning of July. I don't want to wait much longer for them. I've been waiting since April for anything at all.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

It's too early to decide, as I'm crazy for all of them! (Not so much for Luminary because I still haven't played XI, but I bet I'll be playing a lot of him once I do).

But I'm going to cycle through them in the order I was introduced to Dragon Quest. So...

Eight > Erdrick > Solo > Luminary.

(Although if I want to be specific: Eight > Luminary alt (Angelo) > Solo alt (DQ1) > Erdrick > Solo > Erdrick alt > Eight alt (DQ2) >Luminary.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
gotta ask tho why didn't we get 1,6,10 as alts?
Wild guesses here.

1: Sound files when Hero is hit would have to sound metal due to his armor for him alone.

6: He is a bit shorter, which could throw everything off.

10: Would it be like rubbing it in our faces that DQ10 hasn’t been localized?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Wild guesses here.

1: Sound files when Hero is hit would have to sound metal due to his armor for him alone.

6: He is a bit shorter, which could throw everything off.

10: Would it be like rubbing it in our faces that DQ10 hasn’t been localized?
Huh Rek is shorter then the others I would have figured 7 is and I knew that was the reason he's not here but honestly isn't 10 being in the final smash kinda rubbing it in lol and 1 after here what you said makes sense

D

Deleted member

Erdrick or Eight. I still haven't really decided. They all look so good but I have an attachment to those two in specific

volbound1700

Smash Master
This character(s) looks awesome. Congrats and I can't wait to try the character.

Never played DragonQuest btw. May give it a try.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am still so hyped over Hero. I haven’t been this hyped over a character since Simon and Richter (because I’m a big Castlevania fan).

Oh my god. So happy to see that Dragon Quest will be in Smash and it actually has a lot more content than Final Fantasy. I honestly thought we would get only one Hero and Slime cameo and that’s it (just like what happened with Final Fantasy)... but no, we got all 11 Heroes with 4 of them playable, including Erdrick and my favorite Hero (Eight).

And of course they made me hyped again with Banjo-Kazooie.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Came over here from the Banjo-Kazooie thread to freaking congratulate you all on your character (s!) getting in! I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games in my life, but reading up on the series, I love the history it has and of course its start on Nintendo and how unexpected it was to see not only Erdrick but three other protagonists as the 'Hero' of Dragon Quest! The thing about Smash Bros. I love is when they introduce new video game universes for me to explore and appreciate! So I'm very pleased both fandoms got amazing CG trailers celebrating their characters (which I was NOT expecting at all either) and I can't wait to give the Hero a try this summer with the rest of you!

D

Deleted member

Came over here from the Banjo-Kazooie thread to freaking congratulate you all on your character (s!) getting in! I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games in my life, but reading up on the series, I love the history it has and of course its start on Nintendo and how unexpected it was to see not only Erdrick but three other protagonists as the 'Hero' of Dragon Quest! The thing about Smash Bros. I love is when they introduce new video game universes for me to explore and appreciate! So I'm very pleased both fandoms got amazing CG trailers celebrating their characters (which I was NOT expecting at all either) and I can't wait to give the Hero a try this summer with the rest of you!
Glad to see you happy for us!

I’m looking forward to picking Banjo and Eight at launch!

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I have been so busy with the Banjo Thread I forgot I come back here!

Congrats guys! Also Dragon Quest VIII wasmy first introduction into the series and I was overjoyed with Eight being among the alts

That was an awesome reveal!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

What we know so far:

This photo seems to suggest that Heal may be another down special:

Also, they added Hero and Slime to the banner!
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 11.25.27 AM.png

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
So can we all agree despite all odds, the Dragon Quest Squad somehow managed to survive galeem's death beams?
Why of course. The DQ chads are the biggest chads the world of smash has ever seen.

Edit: For those disappointed by the lack of female alts, I apologize. However, I will say at least we get to see Kirby be adorable with DQ skins.

The question still remains, how did Kirby even CONTACT The Hero in the first place? Also, The Hero is surprisingly a mix between Robin and Link combined, with some different variations of Robin's special moves and with Link's ground, aerial, and smash attacks. I think his throws are original to his series.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The question still remains, how did Kirby even CONTACT The Hero in the first place? Also, The Hero is surprisingly a mix between Robin and Link combined, with some different variations of Robin's special moves and with Link's ground, aerial, and smash attacks. I think his throws are original to his series.
I'd like to think that some characters were doing there own thing after the whole beginning of WOL so our boys were being heros

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I'd like to think that some characters were doing there own thing after the whole beginning of WOL so our boys were being heros
Then sometime during the events of that CRAZY HARD Adventure Mode which is even more stupidly hard than Brawl's, even on Easy Difficulty, The Hero managed to find Kirby.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I swear to god if his final smash isn’t called “Dragon Quest Heroes” Im going to die.

Like I understand Its technically still Gigaslash, but Mega Mans final smash isn’t called blackhole bomb, its “Mega Legends”

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I swear to god if his final smash isn’t called “Dragon Quest Heroes” Im going to die.

Like I understand Its technically still Gigaslash, but Mega Mans final smash isn’t called blackhole bomb, its “Mega Legends”
It ain't just a Gigaslash. It is a Gigaslash that is empowered by all the heroes. That **** can probably **** final bosses with one hit free

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Huh Rek is shorter then the others I would have figured 7 is and I knew that was the reason he's not here but honestly isn't 10 being in the final smash kinda rubbing it in lol and 1 after here what you said makes sense
Rek is only slightly shorter. Like, Lucina to Marth (if not a little) shorter.
Compared to Auster (DQ7) of course, it’s barely noticeable.

And you got me there, DQX is in the game somehow lol, hopefully this is the beginning to the oath of localization of DQX.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
When did you guys think the 4.0.0 Smash Direct will drop? Or Did you think he will be dropped this Friday with that two new Link's Awakening Spirits?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
When did you guys think the 4.0.0 Smash Direct will drop? Or Did you think he will be dropped this Friday with that two new Link's Awakening Spirits?
I have no idea tbh. Character seems complete enough. Maybe they're giving the final tweaks as we speak?

I wonder what those ??? spells are. And if they're either censoring them to save some surprises, or the Hero will somehow learn them mid-battle.

Also, anyone else feel a bit lonely in celebrating? Looking at my YT feed, it's plagued with reaction videos to Banjo. Yet there's next to none about Hero, and when there is, it's pretty dang lukewarm.
I should have expected it, tbh.
But nothing can wipe the smile of my face now.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i was quite too busy screaming on my twitter when i saw Eight and Erdrick in the trailer lmfao :D

Can someone let me know if ever tansut says something.

Because if really his source knew, then that could mean the female alt woudl've either gotten cut or moved to an echo.
i can ask him if you like

but i feel it's a really obvious conclusion that the Female alt. was likely cut
either it wasn't looking right over all the heroes frames or timely costs

i think Sakurai could potentially even bring it up in the next Famitsu column as well, like how leaks once say Simon was a ballot influence (which became true)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i was quite too busy screaming on my twitter when i saw Eight and Erdrick in the trailer lmfao :D

i think Sakurai could potentially even bring it up in the next Famitsu column as well, like how leaks once say Simon was a ballot influence (which became true)
I'm not totally giving up on extra alts or something around the females, but it's true that it doesn't look good for them right now, at least.
It'd be nice if sakurai talked about it one way or another tho, yeah.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hopefully the alts will appear later as echoes, wouldn't doubt Nintendo or SE would be up for extra shekkels.

I'm curious about something, is there anything else that helps Tansut's credibility? He doesn't seem to be on the same status as other insiders which are admins there.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Hopefully the alts will appear later as echoes, wouldn't doubt Nintendo or SE would be up for extra shekkels.

I'm curious about something, is there anything else that helps Tansut's credibility? He doesn't seem to be on the same status as other insiders which are admins there.
well, he mainly a insider for S-E stuff and RARELY leaks for any games especially Smash.
he was just there for Cloud, his stage and his DLC's release date; and after that, he went on with his day.
next it was alarming the fact there was a leak that upset a certain company.
then it was him backing the debunk for the Grinch banner.
finally he came out saying Erdrick is in once people noticed the false 5ch December leaks, and later stated he has no idea about his stage and moveset aside his female alt. and how early in development he was.

he's been favored by some like Ryce, Sabi, and somebody else, but i don't recall any admin publicly backing Tansut.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I’m looking forward to picking Banjo and Eight at launch!
That goes double for me.

Also, swordsmen with unique special moves. Yep. That's Dragon Quest for you.

TENSION? IN MY SMASH?!

If we're going to get some Super Saiyan-hair with this, the jokes will be infinite. :laugh:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That goes double for me.

Also, swordsmen with unique special moves. Yep. That's Dragon Quest for you.

TENSION? IN MY SMASH?!

If we're going to get some Super Saiyan-hair with this, the jokes will be infinite.
We get Tension And Oomph. Which will make for plenty of powering up :D

And snooze will be very useful for getting kos i think, but it'll have to be mixed up because im pretty sure it could get predictable by itself.
And we might even have heal, which would be awesome. Not sure yet because it wasnt properly shown.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to be again the crazy dude with the corkboard, but a thing that just come to my thoughts. I was told by a Banjo supporter on Twitter that Arsene before getting the codename Doyle was called Frost, so the Jack Frost claim of the 5ch could be referring to him. And judging by how early it come in the development time it make sense.
Then it leave to two alternatives:
>The less probably and boring, Female Alt was Royal for Joker that in early development without much deeper acknowledge about her character she was planned to be his femalt, then the insiders misunderstood it as an female version of the Hero. Anlucia was mentioned as probably DraQue X was mentioned at some point.
>Then the better one and more probably one. Sakurai thought about making Femalts as FemErdrick, Anlucia-like X Heroine, Fem IX Hero and Sofia. But they can't match their models well enough with the Hero's built, so they are cut... And, in a optimistic speculation, They was turned in the Hero Echo Fighter, a bit shorter, lighter, faster, maybe with other magics and probably with a Final Smash making nods to Puff-Puff(Toriyama is in on some point of the development, he probably wouldn't leave this chance).

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
We get Tension And Oomph. Which will make for plenty of powering up :D

And snooze will be very useful for getting kos i think, but it'll have to be mixed up because im pretty sure it could get predictable by itself.
And we might even have heal, which would be awesome. Not sure yet because it wasnt properly shown.
Not to mention we've got a freaking Gotenks attack in there in the form of Kamikaze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom