• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Now that I got my Erdrick, I can refocus my attention on Ryu Hayabusa and Kunio.
Hope Hayabusa makes it eventually as he is my only must have left, but even if he doesn't make it this time I'm quite satisfied with the roster.

I really wish they add echoes eventually of the female heroes if given the possibility but even then I love the selection of heroes they got for the game.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else kind of sick of hearing people complain about "another anime swordsman?" I blame Fire Emblem's representation in Smash!

If any single swordsman has earned its place in SSB (well okay, besides Link), it's the Dragon Quest Hero(es). It's THE video game swordsman! Kids these days need to respect the classics.

Plus he uses magic.

D

Deleted member

Congrats on getting your character(s)!

I was curious, could anyone give me a rundown on each of the different Hero's deal? I know a bit about Edrick and The Luminary but not so much about 4 and 8's protagonists.
Looks like I missed this earlier.

DQIII's protagonist is a young lad who's sent on a quest from the king of Aliahan on their 16th birthday to defeat Baramos, which their father Ortega failed to do. Tropey, but that's where that cliche came from. DQIII is a bit simple in its gameplay with you choosing blank slate classes such as warriors and priests to add to your party, but the fun lies in the unparalleled sense of adventure, and rounding off the trilogy that started with the first two games in the series.

DQIV's protagonist is the chosen hero who's destined to defeat a great evil, bet you never heard that before... but DQIV seriously does have some incredible storytelling for a NES game. The story is structured similarly to Octopath Traveler and Live a Live, where you have different chapters focusing on different characters who eventually all come together to join the hero. I won't describe too much for the sake of spoilers but it's still a really cool experience. You get to learn about the motives of the villain, the circumstances of the hero's destiny, etc.

DQVIII's protagonist is a castle guard at the kingdom of Trodain, when one day a man presenting himself as a court jester enters the castle and ends up stealing a cursed staff that was sealed away. This causes the castle of Trodain to be overrun with thorny vines and its king and princess are turned into a toad-like monster and a horse. The hero is the only unscathed survivor of the incident, and is on a journey along with the king and the princess to undo the curse and maaaaaybe find out about his own past as well.

And finally DQXI's protagonist is also a chosen one... who is also a fugitive on the run from one of the strongest kingdoms in the world, because their king believes that evil will come into the world due to the hero's status as a chosen one of the light. Many twists and turns are abound that I can't really describe all that much for the sake of spoilers. DQXI turns so many JRPG tropes (a lot of which DQ invented, no less) right on their head and it's a wild ride from start to end, and if you're going to play any DQ game it should be this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Despite my 0 lack of knowledge on Dragon Quest, I just have to say I absolutely love Erdrick's purple alt out of the rest.
0ugtZ24.png

I know a lot of people associate him with Goku a lot since it's Toriyama's artwork, but the fact that this looks relatively themed to Frieza absolutely made me an Erdrick fan 102 times more (plus I love the color scheme as well).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anyone else kind of sick of hearing people complain about "another anime swordsman?" I blame Fire Emblem's representation in Smash!
Yes. FE ruined it for everyone else.

Roy, Lucina and Chrom should just be Marth alts the way the DQ characters are.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm late but congratulations. The fact that it's not just Erdrick but the other protags as well is a welcome treat and he looks like a blast to play! I made a tweet on Isaac Adepts to celebrate

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Honestly, it’s just water under the bridge. What’s done is done.

People need to just let go of the toxic “tOo MaNy SwOrDfIgHtErS” mentality.

The only clone swordfighters are Young Link, Toon Link, Roy, Chrom, and Lucina.

The rest are all unique.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Is it possible to get eight different Dragon Quest heroes, all alts of each other, as a single DQ rep? I haven't played much of the DQ series, and while the series is hugely popular, there isn't one character that's massively popular, not like Cloud is for FF anyway. But maybe if there's just a generic "Dragon Warrior" character with alts of many heroes throughout the series, each using the same moveset (most include a sword, right? Could be possible) it could work better to represent the series as a whole.

Heck, make Slime part of their moveset and then they'd really do a great job of showcasing Dragon Quest as a series. I mean, a hero on their own may be a tad too generic for people not familiar with the series, but add Slime to him, and you got yourself a very recognizably DQ character in the roster. The series is so popular and certainly does contain video game iconography (most importantly, that Slime) that it really should be considered the next JRPG in line that should get a playable character in Smash.

So yeah, I'm all for it.
Ahem.... Okay, so maybe it's four and not eight alts, but I'm dang PROUD of myself for predicting this one! And even Slime seems to be showing up in some respect (maybe just an alt or stage element), but like, heck yeah man, this is pretty much the gist of what I wanted!!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's the only thing I can think of because DQ was one of the first games where selecting your gender was a thing. Like I said, just feels like a huge missed opportunity.

This is the only tiny string of hope that has me hope for an Echo, Not so much to give a twist on the moveset, but to provide more alts to the "Hero". Hell, THe Final smash could be the exact same but have the prominent females take the place of the MCs.

Speaking of, who would be the fourth? I figure Anlucia, FemErdrick and FemSolo for sure, but with out going into Spinoffs, I can't think of another (Outside of the Daughter in DQV, but the height difference is absolutely apparent.) Tagline could be the other of the Obvious DQ staples, "Heroine joins the party!"
If we go for Heroines, then I’ve strongly advocated for DQIX’s Celestrian for a 4th female hero.

You could argue she’s shorter like her male counterpart. But if you notice the trailer, Celestrians have been redesigned a bit to be taller since Battle Victory Road.

Well other than her, I can think of secondary characters, but that’s no fun.

Attachments

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
Despite my 0 lack of knowledge on Dragon Quest, I just have to say I absolutely love Erdrick's purple alt out of the rest.

I know a lot of people associate him with Goku a lot since it's Toriyama's artwork, but the fact that this looks relatively themed to Frieza absolutely made me an Erdrick fan 102 times more (plus I love the color scheme as well).
Yeah for sure, it looks bloody awesome. It's based on the hero of Dragon Quest 5. (Which is actually getting a movie adaptation soon)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If we go for Heroines, then I’ve strongly advocated for DQIX’s Celestrian for a 4th female hero.

You could argue she’s shorter like her male counterpart. But if you notice the trailer, Celestrians have been redesigned a bit to be taller since Battle Victory Road.

Well other than her, I can think of secondary characters, but that’s no fun.
I thought of that, but at the same time I was trying to think of something that would also be a bit "fair" to their counterpart that's already part of the Final Smash.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would give the story of IV a little more credit.

Yes you are the chosen one.
But you’re still a hero in training.
And the big bad (with the coolest name ever) finds out. Then the monsters attack town, and your mentors tell you to run and hide. Emphasis on the RUN.

When you leave your village, you’re dang near useless! You really have to choose RUN or there’s a big chance you’ll get killed by the first monsters in the game!

Until... you meet some friends, they train you, and from then on, your quest as an (amateur) Hero truly begins.

I found it fascinating, coming out of DQ3. And I still do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would give the story of IV a little more credit.

Yes you are the chosen one.
But you’re still a hero in training.
And the big bad (with the coolest name ever) finds out. Then the monsters attack town, and your mentors tell you to run and hide. Emphasis on the RUN.

When you leave your village, you’re dang near useless! You really have to choose RUN or there’s a big chance you’ll get killed by the first monsters in the game!

Until... you meet some friends, they train you, and from then on, your quest as an (amateur) Hero truly begins.

I found it fascinating, coming out of DQ3. And I still do.
Yup. I left that out cause I didn't know if it would count as spoilers or not, lol.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
@liquidmetalslime I kind of like how your name references Slime's metal costume from Mario Sports Mix. (Yes, a Dragon Quest character was in a Mario Sports game. I played it myself.) Also, this isn't Smash related, (sorry, but I can't help it) but how would you like to see the 2002 English Dub of Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge in theaters?

Last edited:

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
So can we all agree despite all odds, the Dragon Quest Squad somehow managed to survive galeem's death beams?

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
So can we all agree despite all odds, the Dragon Quest Squad somehow managed to survive galeem's death beams?
Why of course. The DQ chads are the biggest chads the world of smash has ever seen.

Edit: For those disappointed by the lack of female alts, I apologize. However, I will say at least we get to see Kirby be adorable with DQ skins.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

I'd say Roy gets a pass but Lucina and Chrom nah also Corrin didn't help it brings a tear too my eye i see some people wanting to try out dragon quest or they think our boys are cool i told yall all Sakurai had to do was convince everyone and work his magic and he did

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'd say Roy gets a pass but Lucina and Chrom nah also Corrin didn't help it brings a tear too my eye i see some people wanting to try out dragon quest or they think our boys are cool i told yall all Sakurai had to do was convince everyone and work his magic and he did
People just underestimate us.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
People just underestimate us.
Exactly but that doesn't matter because we came out on top if it dosen't matter of people like us but to say we don't matter because we'd be just another sword character but we brought something to the table and yeah were not banjo but were no slouches we did it and no one can take that away from us they can say whatever they like but were dlc baby its all us
662.gif

Last edited:

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
It was great seeing not just the Luminary debut in Smash Bros this morning, but also joined by Solo, Eight, and Erdrick as well. The Hero has a lot of magic in his kit, and I really dig the alt skin references as well. I'm glad that Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie both got representation in Smash Bros today. Admittedly this was foreseen by many for DQ's part thanks to leaks, but I'm just so thankfully that the Hero is finally in (I really want to just say Erdrick/Luminary because that's what I'm used to, but Hero works). I just hope that unlike Final Fantasy, that Dragon Quest actually gets more than two songs, along with a good amount of spirits as well. The Dragon Quest stage so far is pretty, but reminds me of Final Destination a lot, so I wonder if there's more to it. We'll find out soon enough, I can imagine that the Hero will come out within a month or two.

Proud to be a Dragon Quest fan.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It was great seeing not just the Luminary debut in Smash Bros this morning, but also joined by Solo, Eight, and Erdrick as well. The Hero has a lot of magic in his kit, and I really dig the alt skin references as well. I'm glad that Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie both got representation in Smash Bros today. Admittedly this was foreseen by many for DQ's part thanks to leaks, but I'm just so thankfully that the Hero is finally in (I really want to just say Erdrick/Luminary because that's what I'm used to, but Hero works). I just hope that unlike Final Fantasy, that Dragon Quest actually gets more than two songs, along with a good amount of spirits as well. The Dragon Quest stage so far is pretty, but reminds me of Final Destination a lot, so I wonder if there's more to it. We'll find out soon enough, I can imagine that the Hero will come out within a month or two.

Honestly with how much we got compared to Final Fantasy from when they cloud showed up I think were gonna be fine with music 5 songs at least but 10 would be nice if there gonna be stingy 3

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
A late congratulations to all the supporters in this thread. The news might be overshadowed by other announcements (heck, even Banjo's getting overshadowed a little), but it's easy to see that Dragon Quest got way more love than people expected. I'm sure 4.0.0 will give you guys a lot more attention, so let's hope it comes soon!

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Now for the true test waiting for dragon quest 11 switch September can't get here sooner that's a crazy month for jrpgs ni no kuni and dragon quest 11 there trying to kill me

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was just thinking. I got a few people (very few people) saying how Sakurai would never have all that magic from my moveset from a while
Back programmed into the game.

And that was a menu of 9 spells.

Now if I’m not mistaken, we have like... 4 menus with 4 spells each (4 of which haven’t been revealed?) a whopping 16 spells! Or at least 12.

It’s crazy! This has been the closest that I’ve come to predict a moveset, set of alt costumes, etc. Now I’m waiting for the victory fanfare to see if I even got the exact part right.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I was just thinking. I got a few people (very few people) saying how Sakurai would never have all that magic from my moveset from a while
Back programmed into the game.

And that was a menu of 9 spells.

Now if I’m not mistaken, we have like... 4 menus with 4 spells each (4 of which haven’t been revealed?) a whopping 16 spells! Or at least 12.

It’s crazy! This has been the closest that I’ve come to predict a moveset, set of alt costumes, etc. Now I’m waiting for the victory fanfare to see if I even got the exact part right.
Bro I keep saying. I think all of our movesets fused together to become a moveset befitting of a DQ fan.

Read this

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Bro I keep saying. I think all of our movesets fused together to become a moveset befitting of a DQ fan.

Read this
Yes! I mean I think we all got close to what it turned out like.
That’s the difference when actual fans come up with moveset ideas!

Also, neat info! I wonder 2 things:

1) Will the enemies interact with the players.
2) How will Hero recharge MP? I’m willing to bet it fills slowly and/or when he respawns.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Fellas which Hero alt you claiming?

Terry is a big meme in my friend group, so I HAVE to rep Eights Terry alt.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
You know. It was about 10 hours. 10 hours after the direct is when my butthurt and salt wore off. I won't lie, I never played Dragon Quest, couldn't tell you a thing about it. I, like many others, was dismayed to see his inclusion. But here's the thing. I love Smash. I obviously had to get the fighters pass so I'm going to enjoy ANYONE Sakurai puts out. It started with me looking at the trailer for the Hero a couple more times. And I can't even front, he looks kinda ****ing sick. Like I'm ready to pick up this character and give him a go. It's hard to admit I did a total 180 from my initial reaction in such a short span of time, but here I am, looking forward to our DQ reps like everyone else here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom