• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
since we got music from 3 that gives me hope that we will see music from 4 8 and 11 if they don't put in 3s battle theme tho i will be upset they better twist that composers arm hard for that music

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I've actually seen several Japanese reactions where they loose it over both characters. And in every one of them they knew who it was when the puzzle piece bounced across the floor.

Likewise, I've seen a few English reactions where the people where able to name each of The Heros and were genuinely happy.

Edit: In fact I'm finding the Japanese are more likely to start singing Banjo's theme :D
There's a Japanese reaction to Banjo and it's the most wholesome thing
I swear this man cried, its honestly just amazing that he got two characters that he wanted.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Dude like Dragon Quest looks like it got treated way better than final fantasy

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Yeah, we're gonna get 3 songs.

Pipe Dream: The battle AND overworld theme for each game, plus afew extras like boss themes

Dude just give me DQ7s boss theme and I'll be happy

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For you people looking for Japanese reactions, here you go. Probably little harder to search in niconico so.
Nintendo Direct Japanese reaction
Thanks! I barely understand a word that's being said (I can pick up on a few words here and there, like "Yuusha" meaning Brave/the hero, and "hakuba" meaning white horse, which I know due to One Piece), but I can still tell how excited/giddy the person in the first video is about seeing the Dragon Quest heroes in Smash. It really puts things into perspective - it's like how some English reaction videos react to the Banjo reveal.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
As this weight is off my shoulders now, I will try to proceed with that Smash RPG I was making. As I finish, if you guys want, I share it with you.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Probably because it's not nearly as big as FF; hence, it's cheaper to get more.
And because of that, SE probably wanted a ton put in to promote the series in the West.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
This person and
Im currently watching Japanese reaction videos for The Hero, it's pretty much a reverse from western reaction.

People lose their minds at The Hero (btw his name literally translates to Brave on the Japanese website)
And it's typically just...."meh" at Banjo, even saw one guy give a confused "Who?"

Don't let anyone tell you Dragon Quest isn't important, or that no one knows what it is.
https://streamable.com/z2dql

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Yeah, we're gonna get 3 songs.

Pipe Dream: The battle AND overworld theme for each game, plus afew extras like boss themes

Dude just give me DQ7s boss theme and I'll be happy
oh no has the music already been confirmed or is that just speculation? also what is your guy's wishlist for music mine is
Grueling fight DQ3
Fighting Spirits DQ3
Tough Enemy DQ 4
i have more but i don't wanna keep going

D

Deleted member

oh no has the music already been confirmed or is that just speculation? also what is your guy's wishlist for music mine is
Grueling fight DQ3
Fighting Spirits DQ3
Tough Enemy DQ 4
i have more but i don't wanna keep going
War Cry from DQ8.

Just War Cry.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
only rpg series i can see making in now would be Tales of at this point i sent all my energy to the DQ boy but i got boys in return like i didn't even think it was possible to get 2 more just Erd and Lumi but we got Solo and Guv my heart can't take it

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
When they showed off Luminary first, I admit i was nervous that it was only him, but then came Eight and Solo, and when they showed Erdrick, I admit I was so happy that I yelled in pure happiness, and I'm usually a quiet person, all those months of being called a bandwagoner and that a Dragon Quest rep would never happen are FINALLY over!

now please tell me we're getting all 4 protaganist in amiibo form...

D

Deleted member

When they showed off Luminary first, I admit i was nervous that it was only him, but then came Eight and Solo, and when they showed Erdrick, I admit I was so happy that I yelled in pure happiness, and I'm usually a quiet person, all those months of being called a bandwagoner and that a Dragon Quest rep would never happen are FINALLY over!

I would preorder the Eight amiibo at launch.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

i'd gladly go broke for those

D

Deleted member

It's actually amazing how we still got hyped and surprised despite us expecting Dragon Quest being in Smash. Like six months of Erdrick rumors and we still cheered for him showing up. Amazing

Klimax

Smash Ace
Anyway, while I was not hyped at first, I'm definitely happy of their inclusion, one of my best bud is a huge Dragon Quest fan and when I told him that Dragon Quest was coming to Smash he just said "I think I'll get the switch".

Best thing for me is the inclusion of the hero from DQ8, it's the one that I know the most (like the majority in the west). I wanted him or the guys from Monsters Joker

A good surprise, I'll definitely play him.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My dearest congratulations to you all sticking through and through to this day! It would have been unheard of more than a half year and before back, but to see Dragon Quest represented like this is a really sweet joy.

Been more or less rolling around the Banjo-thread as you might expect, but I'll be real here, seeing Eight join the roster along other Heroes has me really pick him up as a swell secondary. Really loved DQ8 a long while back on my PS2.

Kinda bumming female alts weren't given a pass here though. I have no idea why that even happened here, considering how some of the also represent good deal of DQ's history and their fanbases (3 and 4)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
When the trailer first started, I got pessimistic and thought Shadow/Dark Marth was Byleth for a split second. When I realized the truth I knew it was leading up to DQ. The galloping horse showing up confirmed it and I was stoked as ****. SOlo and Eight are a surprise.

I'm greatly upset at the lack of the FemAlts, though. I feel its a huge missed opportunity. My only hope now is the near non-existent chance that "Heroine" is a bundled Echo. By far the greatest disappointment I had today. I'll probably just stick to using Erdrick.

Regardless, my DLC predictions are going just as planned. 3/5 in my favor~. Hope I nail this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a Simon supporter and the owner of the Simon for Smash thread when he wasn't confirmed yet, i symphatized with DQ Supporters. I was told Simon was "boring" (yes really) and uninteresing, and people slept on him all the time. and yet, it was mostly agreed he was a frontrunner among newcomers.

Come August, he is a legacy Third Party Newcomer confirmed alonsgide a Rare Creation (K.Rool). The same thing happens again today with the Hero and Banjo. History repeats itself.

But now i realize that im really happy to see Sakurai realize and take advantage of the multiple protagonists in Smash by making them Alts, similar as to how Richter is Simon's echo. That way fans of the other main protagonist whose not as popular as the "Main Face" (Simon and Erdrick) can get a bone thrown to them as well.

I lowkey chose Solo.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
As a Simon supporter and the owner of the Simon for Smash thread when he wasn't confirmed yet, i symphatized with DQ Supporters. I was told Simon was "boring" (yes really) and uninteresing, and people slept on him all the time. and yet, it was mostly agreed he was a frontrunner among newcomers.

Come August, he is a legacy Third Party Newcomer confirmed alonsgide a Rare Creation (K.Rool). The same thing happens again today with the Hero and Banjo. History repeats itself.

But now i realize that im really happy to see Sakurai realize and take advantage of the multiple protagonists in Smash by making them Alts, similar as to how Richter is Simon's echo. That way fans of the other main protagonist whose not as popular as the "Main Face" (Simon and Erdrick) can get a bone thrown to them as well.

I lowkey chose Solo.
I think Ninja Gaiden is the last crazy NES series that needs to get in

D

Deleted member

I think Ninja Gaiden is the last crazy NES series that needs to get in
I can see this happening now.

I mean, i always thought that Shiek and Greninja were stand-ins for a Ninja Character. Sure they have Ninja motifs, but not the classic Ninja that pops into one's mind like Ryu does. Banjo's trailer to me confirms that Sakurai was thinking of Banjo when he made the character, and because of that i see Ryu's trailer beign him interacting with Shiek and Gren.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I can see this happening now.

I mean, i always thought that Shiek and Greninja were stand-ins for a Ninja Character. Sure they have Ninja motifs, but not the classic Ninja that pops into one's mind like Ryu does. Banjo's trailer to me confirms that Sakurai was thinking of Banjo when he made the character, and because of that i see Ryu's trailer beign him interacting with Shiek and Gren.
i honestly never got why when i said we needed Ryu everyone just said we have a ninja character already like ugghhhh NO we don't we have characters who are based off them Ryu is the real deal also i was really happy Simon got in man i was totally happy for you

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My guess is that something changed mid development. There's seriously no way that they never even *considered* it.
It's the only thing I can think of because DQ was one of the first games where selecting your gender was a thing. Like I said, just feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Yeah. He threw us for a loop over this ****. Like he predicts Dragon Quest for Smash but misses the female alt of all things?
This is the only tiny string of hope that has me hope for an Echo, Not so much to give a twist on the moveset, but to provide more alts to the "Hero". Hell, THe Final smash could be the exact same but have the prominent females take the place of the MCs.

Speaking of, who would be the fourth? I figure Anlucia, FemErdrick and FemSolo for sure, but with out going into Spinoffs, I can't think of another (Outside of the Daughter in DQV, but the height difference is absolutely apparent.) Tagline could be the other of the Obvious DQ staples, "Heroine joins the party!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's the only thing I can think of because DQ was one of the first games where selecting your gender was a thing. Like I said, just feels like a huge missed opportunity.

This is the only tiny string of hope that has me hope for an Echo, Not so much to give a twist on the moveset, but to provide more alts to the "Hero". Hell, THe Final smash could be the exact same but have the prominent females take the place of the MCs.

Speaking of, who would be the fourth? I figure Anlucia, FemErdrick and FemSolo for sure, but with out going into Spinoffs, I can't think of another (Outside of the Daughter in DQV, but the height difference is absolutely apparent.) Tagline could be the other of the Obvious DQ staples, "Heroine joins the party!"
How about Jessica from DQ8?

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Y'know, something I noticed after the Direct ended, I saw the Japanese trailer, and I heard Luminary speak when casting the Fire, Wind, and Lightining spells, whereas in the English trailer he just yells.

D

Deleted member

THE SWITCH IS GETTING A SLIME CONTROLLER!!!!! This is what I think is really important.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, that Slime controller is tempting. But whyyyy do they have symmetrical sticks? Man. I love the Pro Controller (GCN controller) layout, where the D-Pad is in the secondary position and the stick is in the primary.

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
THE SWITCH IS GETTING A SLIME CONTROLLER!!!!! This is what I think is really important.
This is the optimal way to play as the Dragon Quest heroes, especially at tourneys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom