• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I've been away for months but I just saw the news. Been a huge DQ fan for a long time and was supporting my boy Erdrick. My last post in this thread was like page 15 or something but boy oh boy, wow. It's finally happening. This is the first time I've actually gotten a character I wanted into Smash and it's so exciting! Can't wait to use him. Congrats everyone!

Also, I want to go back and see the point in the thread where the news broke, anyone know which post to go back to?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey mods one question.

I want to see if we can either make a thread to be the social or just merge the three support threads, whats the best option?
We're debating that ourselves. If anyone wants to make a new social, that seems like it would be the easiest solution - this seems like a rather unusual situation. The only example I can think of that would be like this is Bowser and the Koopalings, and I can't recall if the Koopalings had their own support thread for Smash 4.

I've been away for months but I just saw the news. Been a huge DQ fan for a long time and was supporting my boy Erdrick. My last post in this thread was like page 15 or something but boy oh boy, wow. It's finally happening. This is the first time I've actually gotten a character I wanted into Smash and it's so exciting! Can't wait to use him. Congrats everyone!

Also, I want to go back and see the point in the thread where the news broke, anyone know which post to go back to?
Page 128 is where the reveal happened.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I like how they did all the character alts be models of the various protagonist instead. Looks cool.

So.........eight more amiibos....?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Its the emblem of Erdrick/Loto, it appears in every title due to the legacy of the character.
Has also appeared in Fortune Street I believe, so yeah, it's lowkey the mark of the series.

Anyway, I thought I'd take the time to see all the fan ... "art" I've done, and how well it's aged.

(Not going to include my recent moveset because.... well it's huge).

Attachments

D

Deleted member

We're debating that ourselves. If anyone wants to make a new social, that seems like it would be the easiest solution - this seems like a rather unusual situation. The only example I can think of that would be like this is Bowser and the Koopalings, and I can't recall if the Koopalings had their own support thread for Smash 4.

Page 128 is where the reveal happened.
Would it be ok if I call it Patty's Bar due to a recurring character and location of the series? Dunno if you might find it appropiate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just wanted to mention that there's an MP system apparently. This is translated from the japanese smash bros twitter:

"Many of the special tricks used by the hero are activated by consuming their own MP gauge. Type of skill is the most in all fighters! It is a fighter that can respond to various aspects. Additional stage included in the DLC [Altar in the sky], also a guest appearance familiar in the Dragon Quest series? "

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Congratulations to the Dragon Quest fanbase. Instead of just Erdrick, the Dragon Quest fanbase got a rep for multiple installments to the franchise (III, IV, VIII, and XI). Your long journey is finally over. I remember ten years ago Dragon Quest fans like Starphoenix hoping for someday for the series to be included in Smash Bros. Now that day has finally happened. This was easily the best option that could have been done for Dragon Quest. Erdrick, the Luminary, and Eight are easily the Top 3 most popular and well known heroes to the series. It is incredible. Also, being unveiled at the same time as Banjo-Kazooie helped mitigate any criticism about Dragon Quest "stealing" a slot.

It is truly incredible. Ultimate is truly deserving of its moniker, and Sakurai and his team keep making the impossible possible.

Relish in that one of your favorite franchises is now a part of gaming's biggest cross over. I have never played a Dragon Quest game, but I think Hero's place on the roster is well deserved. Dragon Quest making the roster is yet another instance of Ultimate concluding a string started with the pre-Smash 4 era. Dragon Quest, like Castlevania had debates about whom should represent the series, and just like Castlevania, it seems like Sakurai and his team made the best call possible.

Once again, congratulations to all fans of Erdrick, Eight, Luminary, the DQIV hero, and Dragon Quest in general.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thank goodness DQ is here!

No Sofia though. Luminary and Joker can't catch a break when it comes to getting female alts. :ohwell:

Still, gotta admit that it's nice that they found a way to insert the rest of the heroes, that couldn't possibly be used as alts.

Also, there is a general Dragon Quest support thread, so can that be used?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I admit I was literally jumping out of my seat during Banjo's trailer, but the Hero's trailer was no slouch either. Both get A+ from me!

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
This came off as a shocker as I just started playing Dragon quest 11 on ps4 nearly a month ago and finished it a week ago

Thus,the Dragon quest story continues,venturing new ground into smash itself

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
Wanted to stop by and give you guys a strong congrats for getting into Smash! Aside from fleeting moments with VIII, I haven't really touched the DQ series; I do believe that this is probably the best-case scenario for you folks in terms of a character rep. It's always great to have another legendary game franchise be a part of the Smash Experience and I hope you guys enjoy your character come sometime this Summer!

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I like how they did all the character alts be models of the various protagonist instead. Looks cool.

So.........eight more amiibos....?
Oh, I'm sorry, I was mistaken. Its 4 characters, each with one alt. Still looks cool. I like the lead from VIII's design , so I'll probably use him the most of the 4.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There’s still 4 more costumes to be revealed tho!

Sadly, I feel that If they were alternate versions (such as female characters) they would have shown them already...
So, what do you think they’ll be? (Please keep spoilers in spoiler tags).

Luminary will probably get his village outfit.

Eight... this one escapes me. I don’t think there’s a particular outfit that stands or other than default, so maybe... liquid metal slime armor? Forgot the name.

Solo =
Zenithian armor

Erdrick = Brown hair, gold tiara, red cape.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'll just say this one thing and leave it at this: The main reason I wanted Erdrick in Smash was because I thought we'd get female Erdrick. I do not play as male characters and never will. I have no problem with male characters, but it's not my preference. I'm glad Dragon Quest is in Smash as that gives it more mainstream attention in the west, but I won't be playing as any of the Dragon Quest heroes. I hope every enjoys them, but I'll just stick to Zelda, Daisy, Isabelle, female Robin, etc. Am I being hard-headed? Probably. But for the most part, I try to only play games where you can play as waifus, and none of these DQ Smash characters are waifus.

I know a lot of people don't want any more Fire Emblem characters, but at this point I'd be happy with Byleth from Three Houses just so I can have a female character for this DLC. If there are no female characters or female alts for this DLC, then I'll regret having bought the DLC pass. I stopped playing Smash Ultimate for a while, and was hoping that female Erdrick would get me back into it, but I guess not. I guess I won't be playing it for a while. I'll just play Dragon Quest Builders 2 when it comes out instead.

It's not easy for a video game fan when you only like playing as females. I should've tempered my expectations.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy playing as all the Dragon Quest heroes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/dq_hero/mark.svg

This is the Dragon Quest series logo, can somebody more versed in Dragon Quest tell me what this symbol is and why it was chosen over Slime as the series logo?
Its the Mark of Erdrick/Rubiss/Lamia that is prevalent in DQ, its the symbol of the first trilogy of games (DQ1-3) but is also showcased in many other DQs and Spin-offs, its a more elegant way to approach a symbol for the series than a slime. In the west it wasn't as popular as the symbol of the series, but, uh, I guess that changes today, haha.

D7i8YOwU0AITq5D.jpg

Also, yeah, I really wanted at least one female alt. I would have been fine if they had swapped the hero of 4 with his female alt, not that I have anything against him!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
its a more elegant way to approach a symbol for the series than a slime
Which is weird, since (and I’m not sure if I’m just being stupid or not) the Slime is the symbol used on the SmashWiki. It’ll probably be changed to Erdrick’s Symbol after this post, but it’s just weird.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Oh... that's a bit sad...

But at least we got colors referencing Madason, Descendant, Lorasia Prince, and uh.... I can't believe I'm unfamiliar with Luminary's alt.... Angelo?
Yeah that's nice I suppose.

I just...think it's a REAL big deal that the female versions aren't playable. I made a thread so I don't pollute this one with too much negativity surrounding our victory, however. Whoever wants to keep celebrating can go right ahead :^)

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Still recovering from the Direct. That was incredible.

I was doubting the "multiple heroes under one slot" idea, but seeing it confirmed was really surprising. I was thinking about y'all when I saw Solo and Eight.

Excited to see more of their kit. Kaclang was nice to see, but Kamikazee?!

And for those disappointed by no female alts, that's definitely gonna be the first thing modded in.

D

Deleted member

Still recovering from the Direct. That was incredible.

I was doubting the "multiple heroes under one slot" idea, but seeing it confirmed was really surprising. I was thinking about y'all when I saw Solo and Eight.

Excited to see more of their kit. Kaclang was nice to see, but Kamikazee?!

And for those disappointed by no female alts, that's definitely gonna be the first thing modded in.
Hell yeah!
Mods saving the day!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Congrats to DQ fans. Can't say I'm a big one myself, only having played DQVII and half of DQVIII on 3DS, so I was always indifferent to their inclusion, But still, I can kinda appreciate DQ being in Smash as someone who's been a fan of JRPGs, which DQ is the granddaddy of, and its cool they added multiple alts. I'll probably try out Eight since I actually played part of his game.

Also, I think it's both awesome and hilarious that they have a kamikaze move. I could see that being a perfect "screw you, I'm not going to allow you the pleasure" move if you're getting really outmatched and are on your last stock.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You guys realize the amount of love DQ has gotten over FF going on? It’s mind blowing!
Although if you already get Toriyama involved, why not go all the way, right? :)

Songs so far:
- Overture
- Hero’s Journey
Let’s hope we get more.
At least something to go with Solo and Eight.

How many Menu skills do we got so far?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There’s still 4 more costumes to be revealed tho!

Sadly, I feel that If they were alternate versions (such as female characters) they would have shown them already...
So, what do you think they’ll be? (Please keep spoilers in spoiler tags).

Luminary will probably get his village outfit.

Eight... this one escapes me. I don’t think there’s a particular outfit that stands or other than default, so maybe... liquid metal slime armor? Forgot the name.

Solo =
Zenithian armor

Erdrick = Brown hair, gold tiara, red cape.
Personally, I think Erdrick would have full armor for his extra outfit. That one's iconic.

You guys realize the amount of love DQ has gotten over FF going on? It’s mind blowing!
Although if you already get Toriyama involved, why not go all the way, right? :)

Songs so far:
- Overture
- Hero’s Journey
Let’s hope we get more.

How many Menu skills do we got so far?
So, it's really just Final Fantasy getting the short end of the stick. Too bad the staff was probably too busy to be around for negotiations.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Songs so far:
- Overture
- Hero’s Journey
Let’s hope we get more.
I would love to get War Cry (Dragon Quest 8 Battle Theme).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know this is nitpicky as hell, but I'm surprised that Erdrick isn't the default skin, given that he's the "main" hero.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I know this is nitpicky as hell, but I'm surprised that Erdrick isn't the default skin, given that he's the "main" hero.
If I had to guess, it's because Luminary is the most recent hero.

The site itself even says he's from "Dragon Quest XI Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition"

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I'm going nuts over here, I'm so excited for all the dragon quest representation! We did it! And I'm also excited for Banjo!

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I was actually annoyed at first, not because it wasnt Banjo, but because it was Luminary instead of Erdrick. I'm only familiar with the Erdrick trilogy of DQ games. I want to jump into the newer games when they hit the Switch though, I just wasnt a fan of the newest character in the series getting in over the most iconic one. But then Erdrick showed up and all was well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Who can top these two what's left Lloyd? Ryu? Master Chief?
Personally, right?

Personally... I can only think of Mike Jones from StarTropics whom I've wanted since 64. And even then, not by much. DQ IS my favorite game franchise ATM.

Then AS HYPE as this one? Again, personally, Doomguy or Crono. (With Takamaru hot on their heels).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I was actually annoyed at first, not because it wasnt Banjo, but because it was Luminary instead of Erdrick. I'm only familiar with the Erdrick trilogy of DQ games. I want to jump into the newer games when they hit the Switch though, I just wasnt a fan of the newest character in the series getting in over the most iconic one. But then Erdrick showed up and all was well.
I wouldn't be surprised if Erdrick was planned to be the default skin, but Square Enix got wind of the leaks and told Nintendo to make Luminary the default skin in an attempt to discredit leakers.
And the leakers were certainly not blowing smoke up our asses. It's waaaay too convenient that Erdrick was universally leaked and turned out to be an alt.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can someone let me know if ever tansut says something.

Because if really his source knew, then that could mean the female alt woudl've either gotten cut or moved to an echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom