• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to join the party... I mean the support list!
Never played any DQ game beyond the begining but I have read Dai no Daiboken (most epic manga ever) and am aware of its massive legacy, and Erdrick looks like I character I'd like to play (just look at my mains lol). Plus, I also hope he comes with the female alt as well (really, it feels bad that there's only one female character I like in Smash right now :( )

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wait... does this mean you got your profile picture from one of these Twitter accounts?
Uhh.. well all of my avatar pictures come from someone else's art, if that's what youre asking.
A lot of dragon quest art from japanese artist tho, that's for sure.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Vergeben answered again a few hours ago:

Donut007 posted...
So are you sticking to Erdrick being in the pass?

Vergeben:
"I currently have no reason to believe that he isn't. If he's not the 2nd character, people need to realize that character #2 and character #3 are developed at the same time. That means that character #3 and #4 will eventually be developed at the same time too once #2 is done.

To repeat myself, I do not know the actual order and won't claim to since the assumption that the Square Enix character would be first fighters pass character was rooted in assumption that it would be on the basis that a Square Enix character was known to be a thing.
In hindsight it seems like around the time I first heard about there being one was when it must have been finalized since names started to come out as to who it was and then info got out to others pinpointing that it was Erdrick."

Source

that settle it: Tuesday is all about knowing if Erdrick is dlc 2 or dlc 3.
I figured as much. Great to hear from the Verge man himself

I dont think it looks good for banjo. I'd expected microsoft to capitalize on something like that. Could definitely still be possible for sure . I just think there's some less chance for it.
I mean, the biggest winners for using Banjo in any timeline is Nintendo. Microsoft already has ports of the Banjo games while Nintendo does not and most fans of his first two games are probably Nintendo fans.

Though, that leads to me asking, "What the Hell was with Microsoft making a whole bunch of Banjo merchandise this past year?"

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, the biggest winners for using Banjo in any timeline is Nintendo. Microsoft already has ports of the Banjo games while Nintendo does not and most fans of his first two games are probably Nintendo fans.

Though, that leads to me asking, "What the Hell was with Microsoft making a whole bunch of Banjo merchandise this past year?"
We just gotta see what Nintendo ends up doing ;)

If they're both in, I'd like to see them both revealed, that's all i'll say on that for now ;p

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Luminary as an Echo is doable? sure Sakurai said the fighter pass is going to be all newcomers as in unique characters, but if an Echo is 99% the same as the base character i think is reasonable because they pretty much works like an alt. costume -with some exceptions- and DLC characters in the past have had alt. costumes which are basically new models too (like Cloud's Advent Children outfit), maybe it's just me wishing more recolors lol.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Do you guys think Luminary as an Echo is doable? sure Sakurai said the fighter pass is going to be all newcomers as in unique characters, but if an Echo is 99% the same as the base character i think is reasonable because they pretty much works like an alt. costume -with some exceptions- and DLC characters in the past have had alt. costumes which are basically new models too (like Cloud's Advent Children outfit), maybe it's just me wishing more recolors lol.
Some of us talked about that possibility for Kasumi in persona. And I would say even if it's a bit of a pipe dream to get an echo with a character from the fighter pass, i wouldn't put it as impossible. I dont think the chances are all that high, but i wouldn't put it past them.

We've mostly talked about more heroes being just alt costumes, which i think would work well enough so long as the characters are the same height and can play exactly the same.

Last edited:

JPBrigatti

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0018-0019-6623
Hello!

So, as someone that hasn't touched a Dragon Quest game, I really wish to know more about this character since his inclusion is very likely now. What can I expect from Erdrick? Is he a plain swordfighter or someone that could have a very unique movelist if Sakurai and his team utilize numerous mechanics from his series?

I'm also very interested in getting into DQ myself. What games would you reccomend for a complete rookie like me? DQ11S is certainly on my to-buy list btw.

Cheers!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hello!

So, as someone that hasn't touched a Dragon Quest game, I really wish to know more about this character since his inclusion is very likely now. What can I expect from Erdrick? Is he a plain swordfighter or someone that could have a very unique movelist if Sakurai and his team utilize numerous mechanics from his series?

I'm also very interested in getting into DQ myself. What games would you reccomend for a complete rookie like me? DQ11S is certainly on my to-buy list btw.

Cheers!
The character can be very diverse and unique if sakurai wants. Dragon Quest heroes tend to have a lot of magic available, and some of them like erdrick can use many weapons (even if the sword is featured more). Not to mention the immense amount of skills and items in the series as a whole.

If there's something more specific you want to know you can ask ;)

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Hello!

Cheers!
Oh he/she is much more than just "your average swordsman" :p But I haven't played any Dragon Quest game with Erdrick in it, so I don't really know. However, my first Dragon Quest game was DQXI, so that one is probably a good one to start with, especially with DQXIs coming to the Switch soon

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Even after finishing the game, I still dislike it. I strongly believe that the game should have offered character interactions with all three bride candidates prior to finishing the Circle ring quest. Like, interactions that are not just characters reacting to the places/people the protagonist explores/talk to. Interactions similar to confidants in Persona 5, scenes that make me care for each bride more. If the game is going to have the main hook of being able to choose a bride, giving Nera, Bianca, and the other wife their own arcs and developments was essential, but it was not there. Without those bonding scenes, the latter parts of the story like the bride-turning-stone scene do not feel as impactful. The experience felt kind of barren at that point, I was just getting from point A to point B to save my wife and stop the villain with nothing else to keep the story engaging.

To the game's credit, there were a couple of scenes that did make feel some semblance of emotion like the hero-stone-statue mansion scene and the endgame interactions (specifically in Gotha, where I got to see all the monsters I recruited celebrating). There is potential for DQV's story to be revised in a way where characters like Bianca, the protagonist's children, and the protagonist's mother and father are more fleshed out. The movie also has the chance to be not so good, though that is just me judging DQ's weird movie title choice. Creative liberties with the plot and characters is essential, in order for the DQ movie to be great. Maybe they will get the writers in charge of DQ11's characters to help out with it maybe.

In my opinion, Dragon Quest V was an ok game with so much missed potential.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello!

Cheers!
The popular recommendations for if you want to get into the series are Dragon Quests 8, 11s, and 5's DS remake.

8 was what pretty much introduced Dragon Quest to the west and is a solid rump overall.

From what I hear about 11, it's basically a better DQ 8 so play that for the better experience.

5 is usually accepted as having the best story in Dragon Quest.

If you want to try the series out now, Dragon Quest 8 got a 3DS remake that you can snag. Dragon Quest 5 is a harder purchase because who knows where you can find it without emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I can see that

JPBrigatti

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0018-0019-6623
The character can be very diverse and unique if sakurai wants. Dragon Quest heroes tend to have a lot of magic available, and some of them like erdrick can use many weapons (even if the sword is featured more). Not to mention the immense amount of skills and items in the series as a whole.

If there's something more specific you want to know you can ask ;)
Magic would be pretty cool if it was implemented. Would be a cool way to differ him from the other sword users in the cast.

And about DQ itself, would you suggest waiting for DQ11S' launch? The game caught my attention in February's Direct and I'd love to test it, even if Erdrick is not the main lead.

Oh he/she is much more than just "your average swordsman" :p But I haven't played any Dragon Quest game with Erdrick in it, so I don't really know. However, my first Dragon Quest game was DQXI, so that one is probably a good one to start with, especially with DQXIs coming to the Switch soon
Thanks for the suggestion! I've been thinking about getting 11 so all is well.

D

Deleted member

Hello!

Cheers!
A lot of us have put together a ton of ideas for movesets which you can see in the OP, but the gist is that he'd be a fighter that uses various weapons like swords, spears, axes, whips, etc. along with various forms of magic. I think what's nice about him as a potential Smash character is how open to interpretation he is, being a blank slate protagonist from what's essentially the grandfather of JRPGs gives you a lot of ideas you could incorporate. Some have suggested a spell menu, a level up system, as well as mechanics from newer games like tension.
As for where to start, TheYungLink made an excellent post about that a while back (which is also in the op) but the general consesus is that the best starting points are 5 on DS, 8 on 3DS, or 11 (though at this point I would suggest waiting for 11S)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even after finishing the game, I still dislike it. I strongly believe that the game should have offered character interactions with all three bride candidates prior to finishing the Circle ring quest. Like, interactions that are not just characters reacting to the places/people the protagonist explores/talk to. Interactions similar to confidants in Persona 5, scenes that make me care for each bride more. If the game is going to have the main hook of being able to choose a bride, giving Nera, Bianca, and the other wife their own arcs and developments was essential, but it was not there. Without those bonding scenes, the latter parts of the story like the bride-turning-stone scene do not feel as impactful. The experience felt kind of barren at that point, I was just getting from point A to point B to save my wife and stop the villain with nothing else to keep the story engaging.

To the game's credit, there were a couple of scenes that did make feel some semblance of emotion like the hero-stone-statue mansion scene and the endgame interactions (specifically in Gotha, where I got to see all the monsters I recruited celebrating). There is potential for DQV's story to be revised in a way where characters like Bianca, the protagonist's children, and the protagonist's mother and father are more fleshed out. The movie also has the chance to be not so good, though that is just me judging DQ's weird movie title choice. Creative liberties with the plot and characters is essential, in order for the DQ movie to be great. Maybe they will get the writers in charge of DQ11's characters to help out with it maybe.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm a bit confused why you have high criteria like that for a game that was made in 1992. Back then character relating and bonding was very rare.. And I really dont think it was supposed to be a main hook or anything.

JPBrigatti

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0018-0019-6623
A lot of us have put together a ton of ideas for movesets which you can see in the OP, but the gist is that he'd be a fighter that uses various weapons like swords, spears, axes, whips, etc. along with various forms of magic. I think what's nice about him as a potential Smash character is how open to interpretation he is, being a blank slate protagonist from what's essentially the grandfather of JRPGs gives you a lot of ideas you could incorporate. Some have suggested a spell menu, a level up system, as well as mechanics from newer games like tension.
As for where to start, TheYungLink made an excellent post about that a while back (which is also in the op) but the general consesus is that the best starting points are 5 on DS, 8 on 3DS, or 11 (though at this point I would suggest waiting for 11S)
A Level Up system in Smash would be pretty interesting. Considering I mained Frank West in UMvC3 I would feel right at home with Erdrick, lol.

Thanks for the reccomendations, btw!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm a bit confused why you have high criteria like that for a game that was made in 1992. Back then character relating and bonding was very rare.. And I really dont think it was supposed to be a main hook or anything.
I thought the DS/iOS remake would bring big changes to the game's characters and stories since those releases came out much later, so I thought Square would improve upon the experience, but I was wrong about it. :p

D

Deleted member

A Level Up system in Smash would be pretty interesting. Considering I mained Frank West in UMvC3 I would feel right at home with Erdrick, lol.

Thanks for the reccomendations, btw!
Man, you're making me want Bomberman so he can have a stats mechanic with his ingame items.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Some of us talked about that possibility for Kasumi in persona. And I would say even if it's a bit of a pipe dream to get an echo with a character from the fighter pass, i wouldn't put it as impossible. I dont think the chances are all that high, but i wouldn't put it past them.

We've mostly talked about more heroes being just alt costumes, which i think would work well enough so long as the characters are the same height and can play exactly the same.
Yeah, having multiple heroes would be amazing, the one from DQ V is my favorite, but having that many maybe less probable, then again i want both male and female Erdrick + Luminary, as long as their recolors reference more characters i'll be happy.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I thought the DS/iOS remake would bring big changes to the game's characters and stories since those releases came out much later, so I thought Square would improve upon the experience, but I was wrong about it. :p
Id rather a remake leave the base game alone, especially if the game was fine to begin with. Everyone has different taste, your criteria are VERY high though. I suggest giving XI a shot, but wait until the switch version. It's definitive :^)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The remakes didn't really have That much added to them, but they improved on them enough that they feel good to play in this day and age.. but nothing that really rehauls them. You do have to like the dragon quest experience for them at some degree. DQ11 is the most modernized one.

Magic would be pretty cool if it was implemented. Would be a cool way to differ him from the other sword users in the cast.

And about DQ itself, would you suggest waiting for DQ11S' launch? The game caught my attention in February's Direct and I'd love to test it, even if Erdrick is not the main lead.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've been thinking about getting 11 so all is well.
I dont know because i havent played DQ11, but i figure it's good as it is, and isn't as expensive, but there's definitely some cool new stuff coming for the switch version. It's up to you if you want to wait or not ;p

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I really hope we get to see female Erdrick in future DQ games. I'm a bit worried we may not see her since DQXI's protag is male only. Anybody know if we'll get to play as female Erdrick again?

D

Deleted member

Still rather salty Bomberman is not playable as amazing as the Ultimate roster is, tbh. He'd be really cool.
It be the life we live. TBH, the fact Konami even put their hats back into Nintendo and gave us Snake, Bomberman, and Castlevania all in one game is pretty legendary. I'm content with an assist trophy as faithfully made as the Bomberman one. He even damages himself from his own bombs; it's great.

JPBrigatti

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0018-0019-6623
I dont know because i havent played DQ11, but i figure it's good as it is, and isn't as expensive, but there's definitely some cool new stuff coming for the switch version. It's up to you if you want to wait or not ;p
I've been looking to get more games for the Switch, so DQ11S is certainly on my sights. Looks pretty cool from what I've seen in the Direct.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Id rather a remake leave the base game alone, especially if the game was fine to begin with. Everyone has different taste, your criteria are VERY high though. I suggest giving XI a shot, but wait until the switch version. It's definitive :^)
I would not say my RPG criteria is high, I just wanted better character arcs. That's pretty much what I crave for in anime/manga nowadays. :L

D

Deleted member

I would not say my RPG criteria is high, I just wanted better character arcs. That's pretty much what I crave for in anime/manga nowadays. :L
That's perfectly fair, sounds more like Dragon Quest isn't just your thing. To me what I enjoy about it is the open ended sense of adventure more than anything.
That said however, DQ11 by far does have the strongest character writing in the series. If that's mainly what you're looking for I'd highly recommend it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I really hope we get to see female Erdrick in future DQ games. I'm a bit worried we may not see her since DQXI's protag is male only. Anybody know if we'll get to play as female Erdrick again?
If we ever get a remake or a new game with them, i would think so.

I also think maybe DQ12 could have a female protagonist :p (i dont have anything to base myself on tho, lol)
I will say though that 9 had a lot of customization, and 8 didn't, but 7 did in terms of classes (and costumes now, i guess). There isn't really a pattern but it's possible 12 could have more customization again.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
11 is a solid 8/10 game from me, I cant give it a higher score than that for the BASE game
The Switch version will hopefully get a higher score from me, my main gripe with 11 is lack of enemy variety.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Topic: When you all think about Erdrick, do you imagine the moveset in your head wand imagining the trailer with Dragon Quest Overture theme? Or do you think moreso about him in a negative sense, like thinking consciously about the Smash community's debates about the character? Essentially, what is the first thing that comes to mind?

For me, the community has pretty much put me in a position where I cannot really imagine it, just saying Erdrick reminds me of the circling debates within the Smash speculation community. :p

That's perfectly fair, sounds more like Dragon Quest isn't just your thing. To me what I enjoy about it is the open ended sense of adventure more than anything.
That said however, DQ11 by far does have the strongest character writing in the series. If that's mainly what you're looking for I'd highly recommend it.
The atmosphere and vibe is definitely Dragon Quest's strongest aspect.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Topic: When you all think about Erdrick, do you imagine the moveset in your head wand imagining the trailer with Dragon Quest Overture theme? Or do you think moreso about him in a negative sense, like thinking consciously about the Smash community's debates about the character? Essentially, what is the first thing that comes to mind?

For me, the community has pretty much put me in a position where I cannot really imagine it, just saying Erdrick reminds me of the circling debates within the Smash speculation community. :p

The atmosphere and vibe is definitely Dragon Quest's strongest aspect.
If the character gets in, i dont really care about what the others say anymore, lol ;p
i'll be happy and playing or training :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When I think of Erdrick being in a trailer, I actually imagine something similar to Shulk's trailer where Erdrick comes out of ****ing nowhere to slash some poor unsuspecting Slime into next week

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little bummed out that the DLC characters probably won't get CG trailers. Uh, no matter who they are, but especially if it's my baby. Plus it'd be a good opportunity to get Cloud in there and finally give him one too, sort of.

SuperJumpmon64

Smash Cadet
Heyo. Can you add me to the list of supporters? I'm hoping that Erdrick, and the other heroes if they're alternates, get in as fighters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So in my head, it would make total sense to reveal Erdrick at E3 because Dragon Quest is on a roll with news, and crowd resonation be damned.
But I am aware of the possibility that they want to go with the surprise factor and reveal something that very few people thought likely.

However I do feel that TGS will be DQ’s last stand to have a playable character as DLC. Since it’ll be really close to when DQXIs comes out. (And a Luminary alt is a MUST at that point).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking about possibly putting the dlc section (the leaks and datamines) of the OP in a spoiler tag, that way it'd be quicker to get to the moveset section and all that.
What do you all think? I'm probably going to do it but I wanted to ask about it first.

Heyo. Can you add me to the list of supporters? I'm hoping that Erdrick, and the other heroes if they're alternates, get in as fighters.
Added you and Flik Flik ;)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Do try and remember it was a Super Nintendo game, and it's storytelling was already groundbreaking for the time.
Well, they did add an entire additional wife.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom