• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's basically what I said, that or people trying to figure out if Erdrick is even gonna be the name or just "Hero"
It's actually possible that it could just be 'hero'. I could easily see it in japanese (yuusha), but who knows. Not a big deal for me if they dont say erdrick.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It's actually possible that it could just be 'hero'. I could easily see it in japanese (yuusha), but who knows. Not a big deal for me if they dont say erdrick.
Not for me either, in fact it would be nice to hear Xander just shout "YUUUUUSHA," sounds like Vegito's cry in the Japanese dub.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It could go either way. It's true that it's pretty unusual for merchandise or guest appearances to actually call the character Roto/Erdrick, since it's technically a spoiler. Even that figure that came out recently just calls him the hero of DQIII, with only the legendary equipment marked out as Erdrick's.

I'd really rather they bite the bullet and call him Erdrick, though. From the perspective of trying to introduce the series to people who aren't familiar with it, using a specific name/title instead of the generic "hero" seems like the wiser move. "Hero" is very plain, and nothing about it is specific to DQ at all. "Villager" at least describes something mostly unique to Animal Crossing (and that series wasn't trying to make a first impression), whereas 90% of Smash's cast qualify as heroes. The name Erdrick is also in most of the significant DQ releases from the past few years, sometimes very prominently. If the Smash character is called that, you can play XI or Builders and at least understand that there's a reference and who it's to. Even for people who don't play Smash or don't buy the DLC, the marketing and discussion would spread the name around.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It could go either way. It's true that it's pretty unusual for merchandise or guest appearances to actually call the character Roto/Erdrick, since it's technically a spoiler. Even that figure that came out recently just calls him the hero of DQIII, with only the legendary equipment marked out as Erdrick's.

I'd really rather they bite the bullet and call him Erdrick, though. From the perspective of trying to introduce the series to people who aren't familiar with it, using a specific name/title instead of the generic "hero" seems like the wiser move. "Hero" is very plain, and nothing about it is specific to DQ at all. "Villager" at least describes something mostly unique to Animal Crossing (and that series wasn't trying to make a first impression), whereas 90% of Smash's cast qualify as heroes. The name Erdrick is also in most of the significant DQ releases from the past few years, sometimes very prominently. If the Smash character is called that, you can play XI or Builders and at least understand that there's a reference and who it's to. Even for people who don't play Smash or don't buy the DLC, the marketing and discussion would spread the name around.
That's true. On a side note, found this

From Saddestbatmak on Insta

Also found this on Twitter while looking for more fan art a while back. Forgot who made it though lol.

Edit: Oh and this too

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit 2: Daily reminder that DQ day is in 6 days.

IMG_20190420_193029.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It's nice to see some lightness ;)

On another note, about dragon quest popularity in the west. I wonder what it would take for people to see that it's still decently big here.
Any game that gets around 1 million sold somewhere says quite a bit, and the last 3 games in the series (ignoring X) have even outside japan.

DQ8: Apparently close or around 1 million with NA and EU combined.
DQ9: Over 1 million in the west
DQ11: Over 800 thousand in 2018. Probably quite a bit more now. (with way over 4 million sold in total when including japan)

Sure it's more than 3 times that number in japan, but compared to other games it's actually doing super well as a series elsewhere too, especially that DQ11 didn't even have good marketing.

Persona 5 only sold over 2 million in total, in the east and west combined. (it's getting closer to 3 million with all the buzz in 2019 now tho).
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold quite a bit less than 2 million total. And I don't think a single Castlevania game as ever come close to 2 million sold. (i dont know the details tho). And there's lots of other games that could be compared.

Anyway, I just felt like talking about it here, since i don't want to debate with it, just see what you guys think.
Dragon quest 11 I think would have sold better if the switch version was out already and I've seen alot of fans say there gonna double dip

D

Deleted member

Currently hoping that we get a new trailer of the DQ5 movie and a date for 11S at DQ Day.

Maybe an announcement of a release on the West for the movie too, which I have hopes about since Toho tends to release their productions outside of Japan.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Currently hoping that we get a new trailer of the DQ5 movie and a date for 11S at DQ Day.

Maybe an announcement of a release on the West for the movie too, which I have hopes about since Toho tends to release their productions outside of Japan.
Speaking of DQ5:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
One thing that I thought about Dragon Quest Day. Just imagine, if they didn't announce anything during the day, but then on the night time on Shibuya Cross, when are lots of people on the street, on the Shibuya 109 building screen, just start a DQ commemorative video that leads to the DQ Hero Smash trailer. And some minutes after it hits YouTube with the video on Square Channel and the announcement in Nintendo.
I think this level of marketing would hit even the international main stream media.

(I know it would be infinitely more fitting to TWEWY, but I think only DQ would cause a massive impact in Japan with a promotion like that.)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
One thing that I thought about Dragon Quest Day. Just imagine, if they didn't announce anything during the day, but then on the night time on Shibuya Cross, when are lots of people on the street, on the Shibuya 109 building screen, just start a DQ commemorative video that leads to the DQ Hero Smash trailer. And some minutes after it hits YouTube with the video on Square Channel and the announcement in Nintendo.
I think this level of marketing would hit even the international main stream media.

(I know it would be infinitely more fitting to TWEWY, but I think only DQ would cause a massive impact in Japan with a promotion like that.)
One of the things I'm gonna look forward to with DQ day is the endless amount of fanart that's gonna be released. Imagine we get something like a gold Erdrick figure for some reason.

Edit: Speaking of artwork

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks for sharing some nice stuff around NomadLuminary NomadLuminary ;)

The SE thread feels like jumping into a furnace, heh.
Maybe i'm also seeing a bit what people meant by mental gymnastics.

ah well. at least there's more going on around than just that. I still might visit it less as we get closer to e3. looking forward to enjoying whatever will be shown for gamers:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dunno why but the SE thread just seems like Deja vu any time I visit it. I understand most concerns up to a point but nobody there are willing to concede anything :b

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dunno why but the SE thread just seems like Deja vu any time I visit it. I understand most concerns up to a point but nobody there are willing to concede anything :b
That too, yeah. To be fair i havent seen one of them quite like that before so maybe something's going on in their life too.
But sometimes it doesnt feel like debating really goes anywhere, but you do see more how they spin things and avoid some things by doing it. It's weird but sometimes it be like that.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Thanks for sharing some nice stuff around NomadLuminary NomadLuminary ;)

The SE thread feels like jumping into a furnace, heh.
Maybe i'm also seeing a bit what people meant by mental gymnastics.

ah well. at least there's more going on around than just that. I still might visit it less as we get closer to e3. looking forward to enjoying whatever will be shown for gamers:)
Absolutely. DQ fanart is a nice reminder to myself that we are not cancerous and we deserve a bit of levity in our lives.

I feel the same with Sabi's server too. I get pretty fatigued with it, so I kind of just stop being a part of it. If people refuse to look into the positives of a character getting in and fight over it. Then they don't deserve the explanation.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It'd be so much simpler if everyone wouldn't be so hung up on certain characters, and instead would talk about what they enjoy, and actually speculate generally or with what they like themselves :p

D

Deleted member

Absolutely. DQ fanart is a nice reminder to myself that we are not cancerous and we deserve a bit of levity in our lives.

I feel the same with Sabi's server too. I get pretty fatigued with it, so I kind of just stop being a part of it. If people refuse to look into the positives of a character getting in and fight over it. Then they don't deserve the explanation.
I normally don't go to discords, so there's that :b

I feel that the issue is that many fans are obsessed with representation in a very petty manner, in that if they don't know the character or if they don't fill certain criteria they don't "deserve to be playable".

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

I feel that the issue is that many fans are obsessed with representation in a very petty manner, in that if they don't know the character or if they don't fill certain criteria they don't "deserve to be playable".
I don't really like to say this, because we are honestly no better then any other fanbase in some respects, but for the most part everyone in this server tries to act like peacekeepers rofl.

D

Deleted member

I don't really like to say this, because we are honestly no better then any other fanbase in some respects, but for the most part everyone in this server tries to act like peacekeepers rofl.
I see what you mean, let's do what you said and just keep supporting and pushing DQ then and don't worry about the other stuff.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Not only is the possible DQ reveal happening all the way into the latest date possible, but I also have been sick multiple times in the wait, haha. Had a kidney stone, food poisoning, and an allergic reaction, all between me making this account and now :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not only is the possible DQ reveal happening all the way into the latest date possible, but I also have been sick multiple times in the wait, haha. Had a kidney stone, food poisoning, and an allergic reaction, all between me making this account and now :p
You've had a journey :O
Maybe there'll be an island in the distance soon :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
6 more days till Dragon Quest Day and less then 2 weeks till E3

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

People have said our fanbase is cancerous? my goodness they must really take a looooooooooong look at other fanbases we aren't even big enough to be that way

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
DQ3GBC is super fun, Horii better do a new remake soon

People have said our fanbase is cancerous? my goodness they must really take a looooooooooong look at other fanbases we aren't even big enough to be that way
who ever says that is either just a salty Smash fanboy who's pissed over recent speculation that rose in favor for a specific character all sudden
happens to every character from any series.

those kinds of contrarians can be really really annoying.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

100% agree.
I think Delzethin's latest video addresses this mindset pretty well. Watching that intro ought to be mandatory for every Smash speculator.
Don't be so sure you won't get hit with five stomach ulcers and a UTI inbetween now and E3.
Joking aside, I hope your health's all better now.
who ever says that is either just a salty Smash fanboy who's pissed over recent speculation that rose in favor for a specific character all sudden

It's a shame that this is their first introduction to Dragon Quest. People genuinely love the series, and I imagine it sucks to hear people crapping on something they barely understand for something so petty.

Granted, Smash speculation was mostly my introduction to DQ, and I'm glad this thread encouraged me to pick it up. Y'all seem nice.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
100% agree.
I think Delzethin's latest video addresses this mindset pretty well. Watching that intro ought to be mandatory for every Smash speculator.

Don't be so sure you won't get hit with five stomach ulcers and a UTI inbetween now and E3.
Joking aside, I hope your health's all better now.

It's a shame that this is their first introduction to Dragon Quest. People genuinely love the series, and I imagine it sucks to hear people crapping on something they barely understand for something so petty.

Granted, Smash speculation was mostly my introduction to DQ, and I'm glad this thread encouraged me to pick it up. Y'all seem nice.
What upsets me is that they just state it's boring and leave it at that. Saying something like that already speaks volumes of how little they know about the franchise. Also with the fandom, when I mentioned what I said regarding fandoms, I meant, in general, I wouldn't be surprised if someone viewed us as toxic just because of our defensiveness. But eh.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
DQ3GBC is super fun, Horii better do a new remake soon

The only person I can think of who would say that dwells on smash boards I won't say there name but if you were frequent in the Square 7 thread early in its life then you'll probably know what I'm talking about

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ah, I know who that is. Yeah, haven’t seen him in ages.

It feels so wrong when I mention how DQ
Games we’re getting, and we basically only have 1 spin-off, and it’s sequel coming soon.

When’s XIs coming? And X? And the ports? What about Heroes 1 and 2? And English version for Rivals?
I’m starting to lose my mind a bit. I hope more DQ comes to Switch on the west soon.

D

Deleted member

Music isn’t something I worry about.

Just getting any kind of DQ content in Smash is enough to please me.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely hope we don't get midi themes of Dragon Quest when Erdrick is released.

I think for Smash, it is in dire need for good remixes.
Hope that too.
But would be nice if instead of voice or grunts, the Hero go midi sounds in his actions like when he cast a spell, miss a hit for a dodging opponent or deliver a critical hit.

D

Deleted member

Mark Twain said it better than I did:

After a while, I just have nothing left to prove beyond me getting my character. Yee haw boys and girls. We're in the endgame now.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ah, I know who that is. Yeah, haven’t seen him in ages.

It feels so wrong when I mention how DQ
Games we’re getting, and we basically only have 1 spin-off, and it’s sequel coming soon.

When’s XIs coming? And X? And the ports? What about Heroes 1 and 2? And English version for Rivals?
I’m starting to lose my mind a bit. I hope more DQ comes to Switch on the west soon.
Off topic, but I forgot to add my ideas for the JRPG Avengers team and I'd reply to you since you answered me.

Erdrick

A literal living legend, he trained his whole life to take the place of his father Ortega in order to slay the fiend Baramos. After killing the Arch-fiend Zoma and saving the world of Torland from his influence, he mysteriously disappeared. But his title is sung for centuries. However, to those that knew him, he was just a village boy named Arel who just wanted to do the right thing.

Cloud Strife

A tragic character who has lost his best friend and a key ally to the fight against Sephiroth, to say Cloud is complicated is an understatement. However, with the Jenova cells inside his body, all of his physical attributes are enhanced to superhuman levels. With the help of his allies, he defeated Sephiroth and save the world of Gaia with a smile caressing his face.

Alis Landale

Similarly to Erdrick, she saved the universe from a massive threat in a role she never wanted (I don't play Phantasy Star so this is pretty hazy on my end haha)

Demi-Fiend

A character with a role he never wanted, he fought hundreds of gods and killed his friends in order to reshape the world. However, instead of going through with this plan, he ventured out to kill God. His whereabouts are unknown.

Shulk

Wielding the powerful Monado, Shulk was able to see into the future and change it, vanquishing a corrupted God and recreating his own reality.

Ness

One of the chosen heroes to vanquish Guiges, he wields gifted PSI powers and is one of the strongest characters in this roster.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Off topic, but I forgot to add my ideas for the JRPG Avengers team and I'd reply to you since you answered me.

Erdrick

A literal living legend, he trained his whole life to take the place of his father Ortega in order to slay the fiend Baramos. After killing the Arch-fiend Zoma and saving the world of Torland from his influence, he mysteriously disappeared. But his title is sung for centuries. However, to those that knew him, he was just a village boy named Arel who just wanted to do the right thing.

Cloud Strife

A tragic character who has lost his best friend and a key ally to the fight against Sephiroth, to say Cloud is complicated is an understatement. However, with the Jenova cells inside his body, all of his physical attributes are enhanced to superhuman levels. With the help of his allies, he defeated Sephiroth and save the world of Gaia with a smile caressing his face.

Alis Landale

Similarly to Erdrick, she saved the universe from a massive threat in a role she never wanted (I don't play Phantasy Star so this is pretty hazy on my end haha)

Demi-Fiend

A character with a role he never wanted, he fought hundreds of gods and killed his friends in order to reshape the world. However, instead of going through with this plan, he ventured out to kill God. His whereabouts are unknown.

Shulk

Wielding the powerful Monado, Shulk was able to see into the future and change it, vanquishing a corrupted God and recreating his own reality.

Ness

One of the chosen heroes to vanquish Guiges, he wields gifted PSI powers and is one of the strongest characters in this roster.
Ah nice! Well here I was, toasting my brain trying to think of a JRPG roster that replaced each Avenger’s role close to perfectly, which is why I overlooked characters like Alis (went for Wren instead). But yeah, that’s a good roster.

I’m on the “happy to get anything”
Boat as well. But truth be told, I would really like to see some orchestra music from DW in smash, That in itself would make it stand out from the rest.
But orchestra should be highly unlikely. Unless Nintendo works their magic like how they did for DQXIs.

Heh don’t know why it took this long to have an Erdrick hat Kirby over here, but nice job!
His neutral B is probably casting a spell by striking this pose. (I’ve seen several instances where Erdrick casts Zap using his sword).

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ah nice! Well here I was, toasting my brain trying to think of a JRPG roster that replaced each Avenger’s role close to perfectly, which is why I overlooked characters like Alis (went for Wren instead). But yeah, that’s a good roster.

I’m on the “happy to get anything”
Boat as well. But truth be told, I would really like to see some orchestra music from DW in smash, That in itself would make it stand out from the rest.
But orchestra should be highly unlikely. Unless Nintendo works their magic like how they did for DQXIs.

Heh don’t know why it took this long to have an Erdrick hat Kirby over here, but nice job!
His neutral B is probably casting a spell by striking this pose. (I’ve seen several instances where Erdrick casts Zap using his sword).
Yeah I was trying to go for having the main cast of 'Avengers' be based on the Golden age line up. Like how Captain America is like the OG Marvel superhero, so is Erdrick. I had a hard time with the last two.

Also found this touching:

Takes place in the Builders timeline.

Edit: Oi Mr. Fantastic @JDCabrera, got something for ya

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking about a new moveset for erdrick, and I'm thinking of some cool moves having to do with explosions, based on bang, and I think it would be fun if some of the moves do bang splosions even in the melee attacks, kinda like having side-a as a move-in and cast an explosion from their hands. There's lots of possibility for how big and knockback and all that, but if not for side-a, then I thought of a string of those that could be done with side-b, kinda like a combo move. So it'd be like boom boom boom. ya know? :)

As for an up-b, I know that lots of people think of zoom, but i'd enjoy something else too like an upwards slash or uppercut. I was thinking it could be embued with a random element based on what you embue on your character. I'm talking about armamentalist skills for a down b or even just with a taunt, where you can change the elemental fource you embue your attacks with. It wouldn't have to be a huge difference for each, but electric could have more knockback, fire could leave a bit of lingering damage, earth is combined with zam as a fource so that could be more straight damage or something, and then neutral b would be zap (or another element chosen) or a magic menu, and you could change which spell is selected to use on neutral b by holding b for a bit or even shield+b. I'm thinking there could be a way to hold b long enough to use gigaslash, it'd be a huge strike and maybe energy or lignthing could also shoot forwards.

Gigagash would be the final smash. And for A-attacks there'd be a mix of sword and melee attacks, with maybe one or two things having another weapon (like one axe somewhere and maybe something else) and it could feel like fighting with a mixed fighter-warrior, and some of the smashes could be elementally embued attacks, it would feel cool if they could be different based on what's selected, else it could just be gigaslash-like. Still thinking of a fire slash for the dash attack (though that could change too).

I had some fun thoughts about the aerials having some explosions in there too, but forward air and maybe back air instead of up and down. I could picture sword or axe swipes for up air and down air. A whip is still an interesting thought, to kind of be able to do like the belmonts on one of those, maybe even another way to recover.

If there'd be an mp system, I'd like to see everything the hero does to recover mp, some things more than others, and then maybe mp could be used for the magic, if it's good enough. Maybe also be a tension system based on taking damage, that would add an even other dimension to the character, and there's a skill in dq9 where you can do that, it's called 'feel the burn'. It wouldnt be like lucario though, it would increase everytime you're hit with a move of a certain percent damage, so it wouldnt work on bullets, etc. As the tension increases, it would cause huge hit for anything used. If tension is maxed out, it causes a haywire-level change in the next spell used. It would make bigger magic hitboxes on them as well, and just look rad ;p

So that's my dreamed up idea for a moveset, and it's just for fun and i do like those ideas even if they might not even think to do some of those things.
I'm sure erdrick would or will be interesting in any case :)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I was thinking about a new moveset for erdrick, and I'm thinking of some cool moves having to do with explosions, based on bang, and I think it would be fun if some of the moves do bang splosions even in the melee attacks, kinda like having side-a as a move-in and cast an explosion from their hands. There's lots of possibility for how big and knockback and all that, but if not for side-a, then I thought of a string of those that could be done with side-b, kinda like a combo move. So it'd be like boom boom boom. ya know? :)

As for an up-b, I know that lots of people think of zoom, but i'd enjoy something else too like an upwards slash or uppercut. I was thinking it could be embued with a random element based on what you embue on your character. I'm talking about armamentalist skills for a down b or even just with a taunt, where you can change the elemental fource you embue your attacks with. It wouldn't have to be a huge difference for each, but electric could have more knockback, fire could leave a bit of lingering damage, earth is combined with zam as a fource so that could be more straight damage or something, and then neutral b would be zap (or another element chosen) or a magic menu, and you could change which spell is selected to use on neutral b by holding b for a bit or even shield+b. I'm thinking there could be a way to hold b long enough to use gigaslash, it'd be a huge strike and maybe energy or lignthing could also shoot forwards.

Gigagash would be the final smash. And for A-attacks there'd be a mix of sword and melee attacks, with maybe one or two things having another weapon (like one axe somewhere and maybe something else) and it could feel like fighting with a mixed fighter-warrior, and some of the smashes could be elementally embued attacks, it would feel cool if they could be different based on what's selected, else it could just be gigaslash-like. Still thinking of a fire slash for the dash attack (though that could change too).

I had some fun thoughts about the aerials having some explosions in there too, but forward air and maybe back air instead of up and down. I could picture sword or axe swipes for up air and down air. A whip is still an interesting thought, to kind of be able to do like the belmonts on one of those, maybe even another way to recover.

If there'd be an mp system, I'd like to see everything the hero does to recover mp, some things more than others, and then maybe mp could be used for the magic, if it's good enough. Maybe also be a tension system based on taking damage, that would add an even other dimension to the character, and there's a skill in dq9 where you can do that, it's called 'feel the burn'. It wouldnt be like lucario though, it would increase everytime you're hit with a move of a certain percent damage, so it wouldnt work on bullets, etc. As the tension increases, it would cause huge hit for anything used. If tension is maxed out, it causes a haywire-level change in the next spell used. It would make bigger magic hitboxes on them as well, and just look rad ;p

So that's my dreamed up idea for a moveset, and it's just for fun and i do like those ideas even if they might not even think to do some of those things.
I'm sure erdrick would or will be interesting in any case :)

I like the moveset but also I just wanted to remark on how odd it is to see Alena use magic since she's a martial artist in DQ4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom