• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
But they said that it didn't come with other highly searched characters in the same way with those 4. This didn't debunk a algorithm thing?
That's not totally how the search engine works for ads.

I already made posts about this. It's like some of many people getting matches that they didn't plan for with their ads, because they didn't use their tools proplerly. Here's the post i linked but maybe people didn't look at..

"
[...] here's my problem: my boss won't let me increase our budget, so I'm doing what I can with what I have, but now I'm starting to lose valuable clicks to people making searches completely irrelevant to my ads. For example: today I got a broad match on my keyword. The keyword was "life web". The match? "tngtong_cpl cam". I can't spend $25/day for these clicks when my daily budget is $50.
"

Here this person is saying that they made the keyword as life web, and the engine made it match to something like tngtong_cpl cam even though it had nothing to do with his ad.
The answer to it is about using the tools like for more exact matches and using negative keywords if someone notices words that bring it up that shouldn't:

"
The first think you need to do is to understand the different keyword types and use mostly exact match keywords.

Next, you have to put negative keywords to work for you. If you open AdWords and click on the keywords tab, you will see a sub-tab called Search Term Report. Click on the that and you will see what searches had action on them. Find all of those searches that you do not want and add them as negative keywords by checking the box next to them and then clicking the add as negative button above the list.

With these things done, you will less and less bad clicks. Then you will want to put Google Analytics and Google Search Console to work in digging into the metrics and actions to see how to dial in things further. And you will want to make sure your ads and landing page are well-structured so that you are sending a clear message about what you offer. [...]
"

Etc.
The main point is that it's normal for people to get words that link to their ads when it shouldnt, especially if they haven't honed their ad campaign.
Just because they hadnt found more than 4 characters that linked it yet doesnt mean it's all that would've. And there's still the other stuff that managed to link it too, beyond those characters.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
That's not totally how the search engine works for ads.

I already made posts about this. It's like some of many people getting matches that they didn't plan for with their ads, because they didn't use their tools proplerly. Here's the post i linked but maybe people didn't look at..

"
[...] here's my problem: my boss won't let me increase our budget, so I'm doing what I can with what I have, but now I'm starting to lose valuable clicks to people making searches completely irrelevant to my ads. For example: today I got a broad match on my keyword. The keyword was "life web". The match? "tngtong_cpl cam". I can't spend $25/day for these clicks when my daily budget is $50.
"

Here this person is saying that they made the keyword as life web, and the engine made it match to something like tngtong_cpl cam even though it had nothing to do with his ad.
The answer to it is about using the tools like for more exact matches and using negative keywords if someone notices words that bring it up that shouldn't:

"
The first think you need to do is to understand the different keyword types and use mostly exact match keywords.

Next, you have to put negative keywords to work for you. If you open AdWords and click on the keywords tab, you will see a sub-tab called Search Term Report. Click on the that and you will see what searches had action on them. Find all of those searches that you do not want and add them as negative keywords by checking the box next to them and then clicking the add as negative button above the list.

With these things done, you will less and less bad clicks. Then you will want to put Google Analytics and Google Search Console to work in digging into the metrics and actions to see how to dial in things further. And you will want to make sure your ads and landing page are well-structured so that you are sending a clear message about what you offer. [...]
"

Etc.
The main point is that it's normal for people to get words that link to their ads when it shouldnt, especially if they haven't honed their ad campaign.
Just because they hadnt found more than 4 characters that linked it yet doesnt mean it's all that would've. And there's still the other stuff that managed to link it too, beyond those characters.
Oh, I see. I kinda starting to understand(Almost opened my "to celebrate DQ inclusion" Sake bottle out of pessimism).
Winch other things are directing to the ad without the "DLC" on the search?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh, I see. I kinda starting to understand(Almost opened my "to celebrate DQ inclusion" Sake bottle out of pessimism).
Winch other things are directing to the ad without the "DLC" on the search?
That's the thing. Search engines are very complex. And then add on top of that one of the most developped engines, along with lots of extra stuff and tuning for ads, and you get in very uncertain territory. Google has built up so much, including with'trends' and more, that unlike more straightforward engines it would be incredibly hard for someone to figure out why it's bringing it up in some cases and not in some.

I think we do have one part of it, tying into 'dlc' like the Assassin's Creed one doing it. But why not other games' dlc that were tried?

So I dont know why those characters brought it up and not others that were tried. Artorias is a big part of a Dark Souls dlc, so that can be a clue as to why he brings it up.
As for the others, they were talked a lot about for smash dlc, but other characters were too, so what is it about them or some site that talked about them that made the ad come up? I dunno, and I'd be impressed if someone was able to figure it out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just imagine if the leak is true in regards that Nintendo is testing the google ads, but its just them testing it with characters that are popular but not necessarily in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
how popular is artorias?, according to Mywaifulist, he isn't the most popular waifu (11th)
https://mywaifulist.moe/series/dark-souls

:p
If this thing is real what will bugs me to the bone(of course a mountain less then DQ Hero absence) is that they picking Artorias instead of Solaris. This guy is a ocean of personality and charisma. If DS get a rep someday, and it be the Chosen Undead , it would really bother me if it come without anything related to him.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If this thing is real what will bugs me to the bone(of course a mountain less then DQ Hero absence) is that they picking Artorias instead of Solaris. This guy is a ocean of personality and charisma. If DS get a rep someday, and it be the Chosen Undead , it would really bother me if it come without anything related to him.
Some mentioned searching for 'Artorias of the Abyss' and had the ad come up. And that's the actual name of the dark souls dlc, not the character, so that just shows me more that it has to do with weird search stuff and not character keywords they could've added.

If they had entered longer key words for him, it might've been 'Knight Artorias' or 'Artorias the Abysswalker' instead, not the actual dlc he's from. Anyway, just more to say i really think people blew this stuff out of proportion bad.

And with that, I've talked about it enough. And I'm sorry if I overstayed on it. I will say that it did bother me a little to see people get pessimistic about it. But hey if it means anything, in the end it's ok, and we know erdrick has a good chance to be in just like there's a chance to not be. So take it as you will but remember that the chance for being in exists, and to enjoy that there's that chance. And hopefully we can enjoy the road to finding out the truth, whatever the case. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just imagine if the leak is true in regards that Nintendo is testing the google ads, but its just them testing it with characters that are popular but not necessarily in the game.
Well in that case wouldn't it make more sense to use someone like Geno over someone like Artorias? Regardless I think it's still fake.

As Teeb mentioned I also believe it has something to do with Google's Algorithm and at most they accidentally leaked one or two of the characters like a mix of both situations. So in other words it's either 1) Google's Algorithm or 2) A little bit of both.

If it is all true though then what happened with Erdrick? Every leaker under our radar have unanimously agreed that there will be a Square Rep and for that rep to be Erdrick so what happened? Did the negotiations just go wrong? Did all the leakers get tricked? I find it hard for that to happen honestly after everything that has happened in the cycle, I doubt it.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Ok so with people talking about the Google theory more, I speculated a bit on what could happen IF it's real.

Option 1:
Erdrick is Brave, but isn't part of the fighter pass. It's a separate character.
Erdrick is 5.99 or free for people that pre-order DQXI S

Option 2:
Artorias is linked to the Smash DLC only because he was DLC for Dark Souls, so the Google algorithm screwed up. Erdrick is in, while Banjo, Doom Slayer, and Ryu Hayabusa are in also but leaked accidentally.

Option 3:

An employee was testing ads with characters he likes

Option 4:
It's real and no Erdrick.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ok so with people talking about the Google theory more, I speculated a bit on what could happen IF it's real.

Option 1:
Erdrick is Brave, but isn't part of the fighter pass. It's a separate character.

Option 2:
Artorias is linked to the Smash DLC only because he was DLC for Dark Souls, so the Google algorithm screwed up. Erdrick is in, while Banjo, Doom Slayer, and Ryu Hayabusa are in also but leaked accidentally.

Option 3:

Option 4:
I love option 1 and 2 personally. But honestly as long as Erdrick/Luminary gets in, I'm perfectly fine with whatever.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well some more stuff came up around the google theory but now everyone's confused about it lol.

Some think it's fake because of a bad link that nobody noticed, but then others think it wouldnt be possible. But no one knows adwords enough to say for sure.
So uh, let's see what happens with a bit more time. It's too late so im not gonna check more into it for now. gnighty.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I love option 1 and 2 personally. But honestly as long as Erdrick/Luminary gets in, I'm perfectly fine with whatever.
Well, on the thought of a character separate to the Fighters Pass, it WOULD be the SE rep, right? Also might be the reason he has been known for so long and the only DLC character insiders know of.

D

Deleted member

I agree I prefer option 1 & 2 over the rest, Artorias would be cool but the only problem with regards to him is that he's not Erdrick.

And Option 2 would work too. As long as Erdrick is in.

Calane

Smash Ace
Well, on the thought of a character separate to the Fighters Pass, it WOULD be the SE rep, right? Also might be the reason he has been known for so long and the only DLC character insiders know of.
Yeah, I do think it's possible Erdrick could be an extra DLC character that's unconnected to the Fighters Pass.

If he really is "Brave", it would fall in line with Piranha Plant (another DLC character that's unconnected to the Fighters Pass) in that they'd both have rather blatant code-names.

Oh, and have you noticed the stage select screen after Joker's inclusion? There's enough spaces there for the remaining Fighters Pass stages, right? But wait, there's five blank spaces despite there only being four characters left in the Fighters Pass. Why is that? ...Maybe because there's an extra character coming with their own stage? ...Maybe?

I hope.

Edit: So now I'm hearing this Google stuff is definitely fake? I don't really know what's going on, but I feel sort of stupid for making this post now. I was feeling pretty desperate, okay? Don't make fun of me, please.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Yeah, I do think it's possible Erdrick could be an extra DLC character that's unconnected to the Fighters Pass.

If he really is "Brave", it would fall in line with Piranha Plant (another DLC character that's unconnected to the Fighters Pass) in that they'd both have rather blatant code-names.

Oh, and have you noticed the stage select screen after Joker's inclusion? There's enough spaces there for the remaining Fighters Pass stages, right? But wait, there's five blank spaces despite there only being four characters left in the Fighters Pass. Why is that? ...Maybe because there's an extra character coming with their own stage? ...Maybe?

I hope.
Nope, one of those spaces is for custom stages. I've forgotten which mode it's for, though.

EDIT: Totally wrong, was thinking of something else entirely that has nothing to do with the five additional slots.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Option 4:
I agree with Option 1, but it must have a change because there might be 2 DLC fighters announced at E3 2019, just like SSB4 did announced 2 DLC fighters at E3 2015 which are Ryu and Roy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I hope.

Edit: So now I'm hearing this Google stuff is definitely fake? I don't really know what's going on, but I feel sort of stupid for making this post now. I was feeling pretty desperate, okay? Don't make fun of me, please.
You shouldn't get desperate when all there is is people talking and making a theory. ;)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sorry that I like class systems XD

1558040361497.png

Dont take DQ11 being in C too seriously. I havent played it :p

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Sure.

dqtier.png

I played DQIII again recently and man, that game's still great. I like a good story and characters, but sometimes it's nice when a game just gets out of the way and lets you play it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sure.

I played DQIII again recently and man, that game's still great. I like a good story and characters, but sometimes it's nice when a game just gets out of the way and lets you play it.

That's precisely a reason I like DQIII too. I already watched so much anime and stuff. I'm not always in games for long stories ;p

What was your main team in it?
and NomadLuminary NomadLuminary you played it some too. Which character classes did you use?

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That's precisely why I like DQIII too. I already watched so much anime and stuff. I'm not always in games for long stories ;p

and NomadLuminary NomadLuminary you played it some too. Which character classes did you use?
It really is a refreshing breath of fresh air. While the story is fairly simple, the exploration is unsurpassed.

My character classes is Warrior, Priestess, and Fighter. I initially had mage but I didn't like them lol. My priestess turned to Sage as well

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It really is a refreshing breath of fresh air. While the story is fairly simple, the exploration is unsurpassed.

My character classes is Warrior, Priestess, and Fighter. I initially had mage but I didn't like them lol. My priestess turned to Sage as well
Cool. I actually dont like wizards too much in older rpgs too because mp is more annoying to come by. Although once you get drain magic that's another way to get some.
I always think of warrior or fighter, not both, but i do like both.
I remember you talked about doing a solo run and im glad you went with a full team, but If ever you want to do a harder run, it's not possible with just erdrick, but you could add some goof-off (jester) characters for a tougher and funny one :p

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Which would y'all recommend? Dragon Quest 8 or Dragon Quest 3?
Both :p

Nah,but most people will recommend 8. It's just a really solid game all around. It's 3d and you can see your characters in battle. And there's more story, and more skills.

That said, I think DQ3 is a real fun time if you like retro games and a neat basic class system. There's more exploration and it's a tad harder, but can feel rewarding.
I say basic, but you can 'evolve' a character into another class once they're at the right level. (restarts the levels tho), which can make for branching paths there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Both :p

Nah,but most people will recommend 8. It's just a really solid game all around. It's 3d and you can see your characters in battle. And there's more story, and more skills.

That said, I think DQ3 is a real fun time if you like retro games and a neat basic class system. There's more exploration and it's a tad harder, but can feel rewarding.
I say basic, but you can 'evolve' a character into another class once they're at the right level. (restarts the levels tho), which can make for branching paths there.
Sounds like Dragon Quest 9, but in a good way.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Cool. I actually dont like wizards too much in older rpgs too because mp is more annoying to come by. Although once you get drain magic that's another way to get some.
I always think of warrior or fighter, not both, but i do like both.
I remember you talked about doing a solo run and im glad you went with a full team, but If ever you want to do a harder run, it's not possible with just erdrick, but you could add some goof-off (jester) characters for a tougher and funny one :p
I'm too inexperienced to go solo rofl

D

Deleted member

Which would y'all recommend? Dragon Quest 8 or Dragon Quest 3?
Depends on what mood you're in, 8 is good especially with the new members in the 3DS version plus the monster colisseum is fun and you can become super saiyan. 3 has a job system and those are quite fun to try and break the game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm too inexperienced to go solo rofl
It's almost impossible to solo, some bosses regen health faster than you can beat them.

I mentioned a jester run because it's a funny one ..it's possible to do but really hard, lots of randomness so you might either die a lot or end up with some funny stuff that ends up working. Some people think it's too frustrating tho.

Sounds like Dragon Quest 9, but in a good way.
It kinda is! I like DQ9 because it actually has lots of skills, but even though DQ3 is a lot simpler, it's still got more character and of course erdrick. Erdrick stays the same (hero), and then you select the rest of your team. Both handle how you can 'register' party members in a similar way.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Hero, Warrior, Priest -> Sage, Mage. For extra vanilla points I even used the default ones Patty has lying around instead of making my own.

I experimented a lot more when I played the game as a kid, but now that I'm an oldster I like it comfortable and straightforward. Though I am tempted to do an all-bunny run now that I've re-familiarized myself...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well here’s mine.

What can I say? I have a really soft spot for DQ1. I don’t see it dated at all. And although it’s the polar opposite of what DQ7 is, in its simplicity I find the need to go back and replay it a lot. While DQ7 is still great, it burned me out a bit. It’ll be a while before I choose to start a new game. (Unless I cone across the PS1 version).

I wish I had enjoyed Dq9 like others have. I had the opportunity to play it online with someone else, but I was still at DQ2. And I wanted to play them in numerical order, lol.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom