• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

For me it would be something like
Great
4,5,7,8,11, with my favorite being 5 or 7
Good
Have to replay
Cant play

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For me it would be something like
Great
4,5,7,8,11, with my favorite being 5 or 7
I'm gald to see you think 4 is great :) And interesting to see your favorites.
I agree, 69 is good :D XD
Have to replay
the original 1 2 3. i can say there's a value to playing them. If you do plan to play them that puts you as a fuller dragon quest fan. I feel like the gameplay hasn't aged well, but at the same time it's the epitome of genre's creation almost, plus there's still dragon quest story.

Cant play
tecchnically it'd be possible for us to play it using the japanese client, but I can't say I'm willing to go through the trouble to make it work. at least not for now. I dont even know what they plan to do with the game or anything too. (like its longetivity)

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, I don't own a lot of DQ games (though I wish I did). I sort of have a fear of buying things off the internet, so I was only able to play the ones I happened to come across in game stores and whatnot. Not counting the Dragon Quest Heroes games, it goes like this for me:

7 - 5 - 4 - 8, in that order. 7 is actually my favorite in the series so far.

I massively enjoyed every DQ game I've managed to get my hands on, though. I look forward to someday playing all of them.

Please let that rumor of DQ ports for the Switch be true!

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, I don't own a lot of DQ games (though I wish I did). I sort of have a fear of buying things off the internet, so I was only able to play the ones I happened to come across in game stores and whatnot. Not counting the Dragon Quest Heroes games, it goes like this for me:

7 - 5 - 4 - 8, in that order. 7 is actually my favorite in the series so far.

I massively enjoyed every DQ game I've managed to get my hands on, though. I look forward to someday playing all of them.

Please let that rumor of DQ ports for the Switch be true!
If we get DQ ports for the Switch it would be the greatest gift to all of us mere mortals. Imagine getting DQ11 S with the DQ ports as like a pre-order bonus.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
If we get DQ ports for the Switch it would be the greatest gift to all of us mere mortals. Imagine getting DQ11 S with the DQ ports as like a pre-order bonus.
I got so sad that the BR(with is basically the same as the NA version, but with the bonus and DLCs in the local PStore.) and the NA Versions of the PS4 didn't got that pre-order bonus/1st time clear prize of the first Dragon Quest been get for free of the JP version.

Calane

Smash Ace
Lol, I know you don't like it.

I assume you played the original version? I played the 3DS remake, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it far more than you did.

Though, to be honest, I'm not sure of everything they may have changed/fixed from the original game.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

I assume you played the original version? I played the 3DS remake, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it far more than you did.

Though, to be honest, I'm not sure of everything they may have changed/fixed from the original game.
The 3DS remakes are great? They are a bit rare here, but I'm wanting to search later this year.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

I assume you played the original version? I played the 3DS remake
Nope. I played the 3DS remake. And I just found it to be SUPER boring. Like, fully half the game has no enemies in it and is just endless fetch quests. And the game is LOOOOONG so that's a whole lotta doing nothing.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Nope. I played the 3DS remake. And I just found it to be SUPER boring. Like, fully half the game has no enemies in it and is just endless fetch quests. And the game is LOOOOONG so that's a whole lotta doing nothing.
Oh, I see.

Well, what I most enjoyed about 7 was how it had you go to so many different places and get involved in so many different stories. It almost felt like multiple different games in one sometimes. I was very excited every time I got to travel back to a new continent's past and experience whatever crazy scenario they had in store for me. Being able to visit that continent in the present and see how things may have changed was also really cool.

Since these places didn't exist anymore until you went back in time to save them, they always had this "I'm not supposed to be here" vibe that gave a sort of mysteriousness to the whole adventure. The feeling of "what terrible fate befell this land, and how do I save it?" was something I really enjoyed.

I respect your opinion, though. Not everyone's going to like the same things as me.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh, I see.

Well, what I most enjoyed about 7 was how it had you go to so many different places and get involved in so many different stories. It almost felt like multiple different games in one sometimes. I was very excited every time I got to travel back to a new continent's past and experience whatever crazy scenario they had in store for me. Being able to visit that continent in the present and see how things may have changed was also really cool.

Since these places didn't exist anymore until you went back in time to save them, they always had this "I'm not supposed to be here" vibe that gave a sort of mysteriousness to the whole adventure. The feeling of "what terrible fate befell this land, and how do I save it?" was something I really enjoyed.

I respect your opinion, though. Not everyone's going to like the same things as me.
I liked 7 a lot :)
The thing is it was my first proper exposure to DQ too tho. I'd probably like to try the remake some day,
And, a break from enemies isn't always a bad thing, especially when it comes to random encounters, that itself can be boring at times.
Sometimes I think it's too easy to avoid enemies in the later games, but I do actually like being able to avoid them if i dont feel like getting into battles.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
In a happy timeline, I'd love a remake of not just 3, but the entire Erdrick trilogy into one big game. Similar to the Dragon Quest 5 generation dynamic, it starts with Erdrick and ends with the stories of the Prince of Middenhall and his cousins. It can expand on everything from Aliahan and Torland while adding new content. A celebration of everything Dragon Quest.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In a happy timeline, I'd love a remake of not just 3, but the entire Erdrick trilogy into one big game. Similar to the Dragon Quest 5 generation dynamic, it starts with Erdrick and ends with the stories of the Prince of Middenhall and his cousins. It can expand on everything from Aliahan and Torland while adding new content. A celebration of everything Dragon Quest.
I thought almost the exact same thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've said it before, but a remake of the first games like the Crash Trilogy would be most ideal

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Out of curiosity, where would everyone rank their DQ games.
This is really going to show my experience with the series, but here goes. The games I beat

Dragon Quest 9 > Dragon Quest Monster Jokers 1 & 2

DQ 9 was actually a decent time. I doubt it's the best of the series, but I enjoyed ****ing around and growing as a party. Biggest issue was the story because they totally lose me after you stop being an angel, which happens very early on. They should have just gave me a vocal party that bounce off of this concept to make for a wholesome journey. Technically that's what Stella is for, but I'm talking about people who fight with me and isn't the person vocalizing our thoughts. Plus being angel and having to do angel things is such an awesome concept that I wish they explored more of.

Plus the actual narrative appeal is probably the multiplayer.

But yeah, if I still enjoyed that, then it's uphill from here. DQ 8 introduced me to the series officially so I'm ready for that.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
This is really going to show my experience with the series, but here goes. The games I beat

DQ 9 was actually a decent time. I doubt it's the best of the series, but I enjoyed ****ing around and growing as a party. Biggest issue was the story because they totally lose me after you stop being an angel, which happens very early on. They should have just gave me a vocal party that bounce off of this concept to make for a wholesome journey. Technically that's what Stella is for, but I'm talking about people who fight with me and isn't the person vocalizing our thoughts. Plus being angel and having to do angel things is such an awesome concept that I wish they explored more of.

But yeah, if I still enjoyed that, then it's uphill from here. DQ 8 introduced me to the series officially so I'm ready for that.
I need to get around to playing DQ8 one of these days. Before 11, I've heard 8 is one of the absolute best.

I've said it before, but a remake of the first games like the Crash Trilogy would be most ideal
In 2.5 models or sprites.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Out of curiosity, where would everyone rank their DQ games.
For me so far it’s:

Swords: Masked Queen
Monsters
Monsters Joker
Monsters 2

Still have a few spinoffs to go, and most importantly 11, which I estimate will land top3, probably beat 8 or almost. But definitely over 3.

Also 10 which I haven’t played, but I estimate it would be pretty high, like above Swords, even though I’m not a fan of MMOs.

I used to rank 4 over 5 but two reasons made me change my mind. Torneko’s chapter which is basically DQ’s Big the Cat, and how much more replay value 5 has over 4.

D

Deleted member

well shut down the thread we just have been officially owned, how can we ever recover

Teeb147

Smash Legend
well shut down the thread we just have been officially owned, how can we ever recover
Go visit your local heal slime?

I think the monsters series is great. I always wondered how cool it could be to have pokemon in parties, and without the rock-paper-scissors aspect, and in a way we get that with dqmonsters. Not perfect, but i find them great fun. It's also so cool being able to pass down skills with fusing and stuff like that.

And, I kinda like the story of the fallen angel in DQ9, and trying to restore to divinity. I do think having 1 or 2 members that would help with the story could've added a lot to the single player experience. I dont mind too much cuz i like making the entire party, and in a way no other game has that so it makes the game special to me. But there's definitely tons of stuff that could make the game better too.

I need to get around to playing DQ8 one of these days. Before 11, I've heard 8 is one of the absolute best.

In 2.5 models or sprites.
I find it weird if people can still like DQ8 decently after playing 11, because it seems underwhelming compared to it, but it's definitely not a bad game. I just feel like it's one of those games that was really good at the time but doesn't age that well, and feels somewhat barebones. But after seeing how others feel about it, it might not be as big of a deal to some than i thought. I'll be curious how you enjoy it if you do give it a try.

I'm really curious about a DQ12 and what they would change up compared to 11. I like that there's enough they change up in each game so that they each feel different & unique (and yet not too much).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Go visit your local heal slime?

I think the monsters series is great. I always wondered how cool it could be to have pokemon in parties, and without the rock-paper-scissors aspect, and in a way we get that with dqmonsters. Not perfect, but i find them great fun. It's also so cool being able to pass down skills with fusing and stuff like that.

And, I kinda like the story of the fallen angel in DQ9, and trying to restore to divinity. I do think having 1 or 2 members that would help with the story could've added a lot to the single player experience. I dont mind too much cuz i like making the entire party, and in a way no other game has that so it makes the game special to me. But there's definitely tons of stuff that could make the game better too.

I find it weird if people can still like DQ8 decently after playing 11, because it seems underwhelming compared to it, but it's definitely not a bad game. I just feel like it's one of those games that was really good at the time but doesn't age that well, and feels somewhat barebones. But after seeing how others feel about it, it might not be as big of a deal to some than i thought. I'll be curious how you enjoy it if you do give it a try.

I'm really curious about a DQ12 and what they would change up compared to 11. I like that there's enough they change up in each game so that they each feel different & unique (and yet not too much).
11 is pretty much a direct improvement on 8 in every way no doubt, but I still think 8 is worth playing just for the story, even if it retroactively feels inferior in terms of gameplay now.
On the topic of DQ12, Horii says it's far away, but he has some early ideas for it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I meant lore wise but I guess highest stats too :p
Yeah, I just dont think there'll be anything lore-wise that would clear that up. People might say Erdrick.
If it's just by lore then I guess the dq9 hero being a divine being could make it the most powerful?

It's really a question for pure speculation. I dont think there's an actual way to compare :p

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm gonna assume that, lorewise, Nine, who's some kinda angel, is the strongest.

That or Eight, since he's part Dragovian(but never seems to manifest any actual Dragovian powers).

D

Deleted member

The Monster Joker series is definitely good. I don't really have too many opinions over how they're structured. I just like cool big monsters and Joker 2 satiates that. Actually getting them is a pain but who cares when you have a giant robot centaur?

This is fair.

And actually making the names and appearances of my party is a great feature for DQ 9, but it's only skin-deep, you feel? I like to think of Bravely Default when I think customizability and story because the outfits of the characters can change due to class, but the party all have fleshed out motivations and personalities. That would be my ideal scenario for DQ 9 where it kept the customizability of the party but also made them characters.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
And actually making the names and appearances of my party is a great feature for DQ 9, but it's only skin-deep, you feel? I like to think of Bravely Default when I think customizability and story because the outfits of the characters can change due to class, but the party all have fleshed out motivations and personalities. That would be my ideal scenario for DQ 9 where it kept the customizability of the party but also made them characters.
Which is the case for DQ7, for example, which is the same system, character changes class/clothes but stay the same.

D

Deleted member

Which is the case for DQ7, for example, which is the same system, character changes class/clothes but stay the same.
In the 3DS remake the clothes change with the class, its one of the neat features:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Can I say I really like how DQ9 decided that the Thief class would have a "Ali-baba and the 40 Thieves" look instead of a "Leather armored D&D" guy look. It fits DQ's whimsical style much better.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Can I say I really like how DQ9 decided that the Thief class would have a "Ali-baba and the 40 Thieves" look instead of a "Leather armored D&D" guy look. It fits DQ's whimsical style much better.
It's one of the things that I like in DQ they mix a lot of different cultures' warriors with their own styled cities instead of using only one type of warriors in it like most RPGs series. Even the European Knights in DQ have aspects of various European countries' warriors.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Saw someone mentioning how all characters in 3 have blue orb accessories and I just had to check it for myself. Dunno how that escaped me before.

Also seesh, whenever are we getting this direct, I am kinda anxious, though all this speculation is making me forget about some IRL stress and health problems.

D

Deleted member

Also seesh, whenever are we getting this direct, I am kinda anxious, though all this speculation is making me forget about some IRL stress and health problems.
I would honestly expect the last week of March if there's anything in this month. Otherwise, we're waiting till April. Polarpanda said how something Persona 5 related would be revealed around March 23rd (and it's not Smash Bros).

I suspect if we're getting a female alternate for Joker, it's going to be revealed at that date. Persona 5R is my bet regardless of content.

How would you all rank the heroes of DQ in terms of who's the strongest?
A hero is only as strong as his party. That's why you make your party out of monsters. My boy Terry be leading the legion of the damned.

Who needs to kill the monsters when you can enslave them?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would honestly expect the last week of March if there's anything in this month. Otherwise, we're waiting till April. Polarpanda said how something Persona 5 related would be revealed around March 23rd (and it's not Smash Bros).

I suspect if we're getting a female alternate for Joker, it's going to be revealed at that date. Persona 5R is my bet regardless of content.
If she did mention that, she definitely wasn't the first, we talked about that since a while back in the joker thread. There's also the Sega fes at the end of the month where they could announce something. (and someone said there'd be something persona related there).

I definitely think that the later part of this month and april will have some cool info. Really hope at least some hints for the next dlc show up, of course :)

In the 3DS remake the clothes change with the class, its one of the neat features:
I'm pretty curious about the 3ds version now. I'll definitely want to get it if i ever think of playing it back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom