• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It shouldn't be so hard to translate a remake when they already have it done for the original, i would think.
I mean, I dont mind playing fan-translated games, but if SE would do things well, they could get a bit more money and dq recognition.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I can't imagine Erdrick getting in Smash without DQI-III (at least) getting rereleases. There are fresh translations of all three from the phone versions, so that wouldn't need to be done from scratch. I'd love to see a DQI-III trilogy pack and a DQIV-VI one maybe a little later. It'd be so much easier to recommend the games to people if they could just grab them on a modern console or PC.

So I was looking at erdrick's spells, and what luminary can learn, and he can also learn them, like Sizz spells(fire), Zap as well(lightning), and Boom(explosion), among other ones. So in the case where there's a luminary skin, all the magic would work for it too.

Here's something I'm wondering. later in the series the sword slash skills are a pretty big thing, and I wonder how dq fans would feel if erdrick got some of those, like for smash attacks or gigaslash for a final smah. I dont think it would be that weird, adding those. What do y'all think?
There'd be zero problem with Erdrick borrowing from later heroes who follow the same archetype. That's not like taking moves from unrelated characters; the heroes (or the hero class) in later games are just expansions of the moveset Erdrick established, the same way every character type has gotten access to more spells and abilities over time. He'd get all of that stuff if DQIII ever got a modern remake, and he's gotten some of it in other games already (like Gigaslash/gash). I'd actually be kind of disappointed if they just made up some sword attacks instead of using established ones from later games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t know if I should get the mobile port of DQIII?

Is it worth the money?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know if I should get the mobile port of DQIII?

Is it worth the money?
It's basically the SNES version with touch controls and no animated battle sprites, but with a modern official translation. It's good enough.

At this point I'd just wait until the Direct and see what happens, on the off chance there's an All The Dragon Quests on the eShop Right Now announcement. You never know.

D

Deleted member

It's basically the SNES version with touch controls and no animated battle sprites, but with a modern official translation. It's good enough.

At this point I'd just wait until the Direct and see what happens, on the off chance there's an All The Dragon Quests on the eShop Right Now announcement. You never know.
Fair enough.

D

Deleted member

Was really no chance of that considering that it was never ON the SNES.

That said, I do think it's SUPER weird that there were no DQ games on the Famicom or Super Famicom minis.
Funnily enough, DQ I was featured in the Jump Famicom Classic. Sadly the other games are not very good...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Funnily enough, DQ I was featured in the Jump Famicom Classic. Sadly the other games are not very good...
I remember that Japan got DQ1 for free with the purchase lf DQXI. The only condition was that you had to beat the game to unlock it.

... I take it the west didn't receive said bonus?
(DQ1~3 is digitally available in both PS4 and 3DS in Japan, so..)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well dang... The PSD file which I was working on got corrupted and I lost it. Guess that's that for having it ready for DQ3's anniversary.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
ahh well. Here's a bunch of slimes celebrate:

More:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, y'all. This is legitimately the only time Nintendo can reveal a newcomer until E3, unless we get a Smash Bros direct in, like, April.

I really hope my mind is right on this one.

D

Deleted member

CHADRICK
7814E26B-7F01-4C72-B770-7A5CFC17DD13.png

This is what I’m gonna use when they announce the direct

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I often wonder what smash fans in japan are talking about. Like, are there smash forums full of dq fans looking at this kind of stuff?
And what do they know that we dont? :O (besides general boards like 5ch, i guess)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I often wonder what smash fans in japan are talking about. Like, are there smash forums full of dq fans looking at this kind of stuff?
And what do they know that we dont? :O (besides general boards like 5ch, i guess)
I wonder if they have any equivalents to some of the users here who like Japan-only games and want some of their characters in Smash, where some Japanese fans want characters from games that were more popular overseas. Like, are there any Japanese StarTropics fans, for instance?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wonder if they have any equivalents to some of the users here who like Japan-only games and want some of their characters in Smash, where some Japanese fans want characters from games that were more popular overseas. Like, are there any Japanese StarTropics fans, for instance?
I think even if there's a few, it probably doesn't pick up much steam.
Japan has such amazing game franchises, and many, that I think it's probably more normal over here than there. but I'm just guessing.
I do wonder how many of them play bethesday games. they're pretty big.

I really would like for everything to be region-free, so we can play all japanese games even if they dont get localized.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Nintendo Direct confirmed for tomorrow! Here's hoping we get an Erdrick reveal.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Square and Nintendo better market Erdrick properly if they want audiences to get into Dragon Quest.

I expect a decent effort at best, but it would be great to see them really nail the marketing for the fighter and the ports.

At the very least, the Smash reveal needs to be gameplay footage of Erdrick, otherwise, a trailer for Erdrick without gameplay will probably not convince more people to get into the Fighter's Pass.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Square ... better market ... properly
ha ha ha

If this is really gonna happen and the reveal is tomorrow, it's doubtful that the character would be ready enough to show off unless there's been a big-time scheduling mishap, like Erdrick and Joker were swapped around at the last minute. Unlikely.

A cool trailer would help. Having classic DQ ports available right away and cheap would help. Making a big fuss about the series' legacy would help.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A cool trailer would help. Having classic DQ ports available right away and cheap would help. Making a big fuss about the series' legacy would help.
Pretty much. This is all you need, even if there is no gameplay or 3D render or model.

Ornl

Smash Ace
About Dragon Quest
- Dragon Quest is the pioneer of the console RPG model. Not the first, but the equivalent of what Street Fighter was for the next fight games. He inspired Final Fantasy, Pokemon (Dragon Quest V in 1992 giving the possibility to recruit monsters). Slime inspired the same enemy in Zelda 3 and subsequent opuses.
- Dragon Quest is considered to be part of the Nintendo family. Most games in the series (including Monsters) are on Nintendo consoles. Slime also appeared in three Mario games : Itadaki Street DS, Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street, as well as in Miitopia. The series is even entitled to a specific logo version when the game is released by Nintendo, which is not done with any other outside license.
- The Dragon Quest series has already sold 76 million units.

According to Famitsū
- Dragon Quest III is the second favorite game in Japan (just after Persona 5).
- 12 games of the license are among the favorite games in Japan.
- Dragon Quest IX and XI got a perfect score. With DQ IV, they were recognized as the Games of the Year by the Famitsū Awards.
- Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest Heroes II got a 39/40 scores.

The Erdrick last average of forecasts in Rate Their Chances thread is only 29%.
See you tomorrow, Brave.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest VIII was ported to 3DS due to the huge demand from western fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Besides possible DQ ports and DQXI S, what non Smash announcements are you all hoping we get to see?

I want to know more about Luigi's Mansion 3, and I'm hoping for a release date for the FF7 port to Switch. I want to make jokes about how I'm finally playing FF7 on Nintendo hardware already lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's to tomorrow for y'all. I'm wishing you all the best in your favorite swordsman getting in.

I'm pretty confidence on his inclusion at this point. I do think it will be happening.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Besides possible DQ ports and DQXI S, what non Smash announcements are you all hoping we get to see?

I want to know more about Luigi's Mansion 3, and I'm hoping for a release date for the FF7 port to Switch. I want to make jokes about how I'm finally playing FF7 on Nintendo hardware already lol
I'm hoping we get an official release date for FE Three Houses and at least get some basic details on Animal Crossing Switch.

My pipe dream wishes are Persona 4 Gold getting ported to Switch and a Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remake.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Well I'm always hype for retro revivals.
Punch Out Wii and Kid Icarus uprising are among my favorite Nintendo games ever.
Golden Sun Dark Dawn was pretty cool too.

And those announcements are the ones that really shake me to my core.

So, yeah. A retro revival for me. Nazo no Murasame, or StarTropics, or a rebooted Mach Rider, anything is gold.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hoping to see Erdrick tomorrow. It'd be great to see how they portray him in Smash.

D

Deleted member

>K.Rool and/or Mach Rider in Mario Kart.
>Spyro port.
>Dark Samus amiibo.
>New F-Zero.
>Metroid Prime Trilogy port.
>Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 trailer with the Fantastic Four.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

With Hashimoto's Retweets of the Direct. Pretty much we will see the release date and additional details about the Final Fantasies Ports. As he is directly involved in all those announced. I think except the Chocobo one.

Calane

Smash Ace
I'll unfortunately be at work during the Nintendo Direct, so I won't be able to post until sometime after 8:30 regardless of what happens. I'm super nervous about it, but I still want to hope for the best.

This could be the big finale of our adventure, so let's face it bravely and hope we get our happy ending.

D

Deleted member

It's over y'all. Verge is now backing Erdrick. The chains are off our hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom