• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hey, what did you guys want in Erdrick's trailer?
I would like it to be a fakeout of a DQ game intro where the protagonist(Erdrick) enters a pub to recruit adventurers and surprise! Its the smash cast, there is a small photo montage of the heroes going on adventures and ends with the adventurers walking out towards the horizon and Dragon Quest x Smash Bros shows instead of the title.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The inclusion of Erdrick would complete three of five members of the "Major Third-Party JRPG Company Quintet":
  • Cloud (Square)
  • Erdrick (Enix)
  • Joker (Atlus)
  • ???? (Nihon Falcom)
  • ???? (Namco)
All that would be left is a Nihon Falcom representative and a Namco representative, and the quintet will be complete.
Lloyd and Adol Ys and Tales deserve a spot

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Oh ****. I never imagined Laharl in Smash Bros. That'd be crazy. It's another forgotten series I grew up with.
My brother said that the greatest thing if they go for something like that was that they probably would make it canon on Disgaea universe.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, disgaea is still relevant, it got a port for 5 on the switch last year.
I love a lot of nis games, so it'd be cool, tho obviously feels pretty unlikely.

If I had to choose tho i'd probably go with 2 SE characters instead of some other companies :p

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I mean, disgaea is still relevant, it got a port for 5 on the switch last year.
I love a lot of nis games, so it'd be cool, tho obviously feels pretty unlikely.

If I had to choose tho i'd probably go with 2 SE characters instead of some other companies :p
Agree, with Erdrick would be awesome Neko from TWEWY, he have a semi-infinity move potential. Crono would be nice, but in this point two Toriyama's Swordfighters would bring the apocalypse in the Smash Community, or put him for the lolz. Red-headed Sword Jesus is one of my favorite characters too xD

D

Deleted member

Figured it's a good time to do it now before the next direct. Here's Erdrick, y'all.

D

Deleted member

Kind of sad the Geno thread sometimes turns into the "**** Erdrick" thread.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't frequent the Geno thread, but I do see similar sentiments not about Erdrick specifically but about anyone. Too many people think that if you want something, or you just want to promote something, then something else must be "knocked down" so to speak.

What I mean is...let's say you have an anime you really, REALLY like, but it isn't well-known. One choice is to bring up that you like it at opportune moments, and to suggest it when you think it's appropriate. Work on doing things like learning about your friends' tastes and see if they would enjoy it, and if you think they would, then in what way you could phrase your "sales pitch" of the anime.

That's one choice. There's another one that's depressingly common, which is to sh*t on something else.

You don't like that your anime isn't well-known because, in your eyes, other anime that ARE well-known "don't deserve it". So you attack those anime. Constantly talk about how they suck and people, if they had "good taste", would do well to check out YOUR favorite anime.

The possibility that other people may not care for your sh*t-slinging in honor of what YOU like, doesn't occur to you, or if it does then you don't actually want it to be as mainstream as you say you wish, and just want to cultivate an elitist group around it.

I reject this train of thought and always try to just encourage people to check out less well-known things I enjoy whenever I feel it's appropriate. This is because wow, people respond better to gentle and well thought out encouragement that keeps the other person's interests in mind than to just crap on stuff other people like to try to elevate what I think is "worthy".

Hence, I like that the Dragon Quest fans around here seem to be real chill about trying to get people into the series. I know firsthand that certain Geno fans are just as chill as we are, if understandably anxious that their character might not get in while leaker after leaker keeps name dropping Erdrick. I dunno if other people have checked out Super Mario RPG because of the Geno thread (I imagine they have), but I like that we were able to help convince a few people to try DQ and let them find out that hey, they like the games! And I 100% believe that it wouldn't have been possible if we decided to constantly sh*t on who THEY wanted to try to promote Erdrick.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't frequent the Geno thread, but I do see similar sentiments not about Erdrick specifically but about anyone. Too many people think that if you want something, or you just want to promote something, then something else must be "knocked down" so to speak.

What I mean is...let's say you have an anime you really, REALLY like, but it isn't well-known. One choice is to bring up that you like it at opportune moments, and to suggest it when you think it's appropriate. Work on doing things like learning about your friends' tastes and see if they would enjoy it, and if you think they would, then in what way you could phrase your "sales pitch" of the anime.

That's one choice. There's another one that's depressingly common, which is to sh*t on something else.

You don't like that your anime isn't well-known because, in your eyes, other anime that ARE well-known "don't deserve it". So you attack those anime. Constantly talk about how they suck and people, if they had "good taste", would do well to check out YOUR favorite anime.

The possibility that other people may not care for your sh*t-slinging in honor of what YOU like, doesn't occur to you, or if it does then you don't actually want it to be as mainstream as you say you wish, and just want to cultivate an elitist group around it.

I reject this train of thought and always try to just encourage people to check out less well-known things I enjoy whenever I feel it's appropriate. This is because wow, people respond better to gentle and well thought out encouragement that keeps the other person's interests in mind than to just crap on stuff other people like to try to elevate what I think is "worthy".

Hence, I like that the Dragon Quest fans around here seem to real chill about trying to get people into the series. I know firsthand that certain Geno fans are just as chill as we are, if understandably anxious that their character might not get in while leaker after leaker keeps name dropping Erdrick. I dunno if other people have checked out Super Mario RPG because of the Geno thread (I imagine they have), but I like that we were able to help convince a few people to try DQ and let them find out that hey, they like the games! And I 100% believe that it wouldn't have been possible if we decided to constantly sh*t on who THEY wanted to try to promote Erdrick.
Well said. I find it encouraging to see realizations like those.
There's no need to put down others or their characters. It's normal around to some degree I guess. it's just that things can make more sense too :)
g'night, enjoy the smash possibilities.:tired:Embarrass

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Hence, I like that the Dragon Quest fans around here seem to be real chill about trying to get people into the series. I know firsthand that certain Geno fans are just as chill as we are, if understandably anxious that their character might not get in while leaker after leaker keeps name dropping Erdrick. I dunno if other people have checked out Super Mario RPG because of the Geno thread (I imagine they have), but I like that we were able to help convince a few people to try DQ and let them find out that hey, they like the games! And I 100% believe that it wouldn't have been possible if we decided to constantly sh*t on who THEY wanted to try to promote Erdrick.
i've seen alot of you guys in action doing the square seven thread when it comes to people bashing our erdrick you guys handle it well with class the way it's supposed to be handled instead of lashing out i know if i already weren't a fan I'd check it out for myself

TobikoOfWind

Smash Rookie
Yo, can anyone redpill me on Erdrick, moveset wise?

And I don't mean something like "He can use magic for his specials!" . At least describe how his 4 specials would work

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
i've seen alot of you guys in action doing the square seven thread when it comes to people bashing our erdrick you guys handle it well with class the way it's supposed to be handled instead of lashing out i know if i already weren't a fan I'd check it out for myself
It's a lot lighter here in Smashboards.
Out there in social media? That's where the real slaughter happens.

I didn't think I could use this in an example so soon, but...

This is how it feels to be a Dragon Quest fan in general.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice

Thanks for making me laught so hard that I almost fell off my chair

D

Deleted member

The second scenario happened to me with Doom.Too many people online just kept shoving the series in my face as the coming of Christ or a shooter that I had to play in order to live without a stop, saying that Metroid Prime had nothing on it.

Because of that, I felt forced to play some of the games and buy Doom 2016. In the end... I was dissapointed. Sure, the glory kills were done well in 2016 and the music was nice... But I didn’t find it better and superior than Metroid Prime.
To this day I haven’t touched a Doom game in a long time, and all the people who forced me to play some of the games in the series just made me see it in a more negative way instead of making me like them.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Trust me I've seen it first hand everyone hates erdrick now but I think when they see him in action they will probably be won over I know I hated piranha plant when I first saw her but when the DLC finally dropped and I got to try her for myself I ended up liking her she was kind of stupid in a funny way I feel people will warm up to erdrick in that way but there are always gonna be those butt hurt boys and girls and everything in between there ain't no pleaseing them

D

Deleted member

Change Slime and Luminary with the Fantastic Four, K.Rool and Yooka-Laylee and the army of Soras and Genos with Hatkids, Doomguys, Viridis and many X-Men.

That would be a representation of my experience on the internet in general.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Yo, can anyone redpill me on Erdrick, moveset wise?

And I don't mean something like "He can use magic for his specials!" . At least describe how his 4 specials would work
His principal magic Zap/Raidein is a lightning bolt from the Skys. Could be enhanced as Kazap/Gigadein, a lightning storm. Like a combined version of Palutena's B and Pikachu's Thunder. (B move lock)
Frizz/Mera is a straight fire ball, probably would be different from PK Fire/Arc Fire, more like a hard hit small fire explosion. (Side B potential)
Sizz/Gira, a fire pillar/flow that hit multiple targets. Could be enhanced as Sizzle/Begirama. Could have high up Smash like those beams of light from Palutena. (Side B potential)
Zoom/Ruula, his teleport spell that send he up. Fail if hits a roof. (Up B lock)
Kaclang/Asutoron, a metal body spell that absorbs damage, akin to Stone Kirby. (Down B Potential)
Snooze/Rarihoo, a sleep magic. Projectile version o Sing (Down B Potential)
Fizzle/Mahotoon, a silence magic that prevents the opponent to use magic. Like Mewtwo Disable (Down B potential)
And the last I can see been used in his move set: Boom/Iora, a big explosion that hits all enemies. (Down B/Up Throw potential)
For his Smashs there's two ways to go:
-Take the Skills from posterior titles. Those could be:
Falcon Slash, a dual energy slash.
Flame Slash, a long fire slash.
Metal Slash, a energy coated slash that causes more damage on Metal enemies.
Dragon Slash, a cut followed by a energy dragon that causes more damage on dragons.
Miracle Slash, a hp drain attack.
-Use the other weapons that he can use. Axes, Clubs, Flails, Lance, Dagger, Sickle, Boomerangs and his Shield.
He could also have DQVIII tension system, a stackable stats buff that coat him in a redish-pink aura. After stack it to the max can unleash a super attack.
His Final Smash would be an all out party attack finished with Gigaslash or Gigagash, he enhances his Sword with Kazap and gives a giant thunder cut to the enemy.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
The second scenario happened to me with Doom.Too many people online just kept shoving the series in my face as the coming of Christ or a shooter that I had to play in order to live without a stop, saying that Metroid Prime had nothing on it.

Because of that, I felt forced to play some of the games and buy Doom 2016. In the end... I was dissapointed. Sure, the glory kills were done well in 2016 and the music was nice... But I didn’t find it better and superior than Metroid Prime.
To this day I haven’t touched a Doom game in a long time, and all the people who forced me to play some of the games in the series just made me see it in a more negative way instead of making me like them.
In deed it isn't comparable to Metroid. It's like comparing Smash with MK, both series are great by their own reasons and aren't the cup of tea of some people. People can't understand that sometimes. Also, I heard that even some Doom fans are disappointed with 2016.
Haven't played this series as I never was that a big Shooter fan, but I like the series soundtrack tho. And that old movie too xD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In deed it isn't comparable to Metroid. It's like comparing Smash with MK, both series are great by their own reasons and aren't the cup of tea of some people. People can't understand that sometimes. Also, I heard that even some Doom fans are disappointed with 2016.
Haven't played this series as I never was that a big Shooter fan, but I like the series soundtrack tho. And that old movie too xD
The soundtrack is nice, I agree.

But the fact that almost the entire Internet made me waste money on a game I didn’t like and even regret buying to this day makes me a bit mad when I remember all of it.

I wish that people could just accept that everyone doesn’t like the same things.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

But the fact that almost the entire Internet made me waste money on a game I didn’t like and even regret buying to this day makes me a bit mad when I remember all of it.

I wish that people could just accept that everyone doesn’t like the same things.
Saddly people are always set on that "My way to see the things is the only valid".

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Dang, it's too bad you had a sour experience with Doom.
I've been a diehard Doom fan since I found out about it as a kid. I became obsessed with labyrinths, drawing maps, and the jolt of adrenaline of going down narrow corridors with blinking lights, and having that random wall open behind you to reveal at least dozen demons out yo get you.

It's a feeling I can't describe. But I do feel why it's not for everyone.
I haven't tried Doom 2016 yet, but chances are I'm going to like it since I liked Doom 3.
I like Metroid Prime because I love Doom. But it's a different kind of thrill for me personally, and they couldn't be more different.

Trust me I've seen it first hand everyone hates erdrick now but I think when they see him in action they will probably be won over I know I hated piranha plant when I first saw her but when the DLC finally dropped and I got to try her for myself I ended up liking her she was kind of stupid in a funny way I feel people will warm up to erdrick in that way but there are always gonna be those butt hurt boys and girls and everything in between there ain't no pleaseing them
That's exactly how I felt about Incineroar. I was indifferent about Ken, but being a SF fan, he grew on me real Quick. But Incineroar grew on me super fast for being the character whom I believed snatched Shadow, Isaac and Mach Rider from me.

PP... I'm still indifferent. I'm just not feeling it, you know?

Change Slime and Luminary with the Fantastic Four, K.Rool and Yooka-Laylee and the army of Soras and Genos with Hatkids, Doomguys, Viridis and many X-Men.

That would be a representation of my experience on the internet in general.
To me Geno has always been a rival.
Back in Brawl, I wanted Crono real bad. And a certain fat person on Frozen water told me his chances we're sketchy, while Geno was super likely.

Well how the tables have turned, and Crono now appears on equally grounds as Geno thanks to the list of 7 (if not, slightly better chances).
But now that I want a DQ character as much as Crono back then, I'm reliving that rivalry once more.

The only other time I didn't want a character for possibly stealing a spot of a character I liked, was Shulk over Isaac. But that was so unrelated, looking back, it's not even funny.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
His principal magic Zap/Raidein is a lightning bolt from the Skys. Could be enhanced as Kazap/Gigadein, a lightning storm. Like a combined version of Palutena's B and Pikachu's Thunder. (B move lock)
Frizz/Mera is a straight fire ball, probably would be different from PK Fire/Arc Fire, more like a hard hit small fire explosion. (Side B potential)
Sizz/Gira, a fire pillar/flow that hit multiple targets. Could be enhanced as Sizzle/Begirama. Could have high up Smash like those beams of light from Palutena. (Side B potential)
Zoom/Ruula, his teleport spell that send he up. Fail if hits a roof. (Up B lock)
Kaclang/Asutoron, a metal body spell that absorbs damage, akin to Stone Kirby. (Down B Potential)
Fizzle/Mahotoon, a silence magic that prevents the opponent to use magic. Like Mewtwo Disable (Down B potential)
And the last I can see been used in his move set: Boom/Iora, a big explosion that hits all enemies. (Down B/Up Throw potential)
Dragon Slash, a cut followed by a energy dragon that causes more damage on dragons.
-Use the other weapons that he can use. Axes, Clubs, Flails, Lance, Dagger, Sickle, Boomerangs and his Shield.
He could also have DQVIII tension system, a stackable stats buff that coat him in a redish-pink aura. After stack it to the max can unleash a super attack.
His Final Smash would be an all out party attack finished with Gigaslash or Gigagash, he enhances his Sword with Kazap and gives a giant thunder cut to the enemy.
Nice of you to list some possibilities. I think that there's already too many fireballs in the game, and erdrick has more use of sizzle anyway. If they added a fire spell, I think it could be something that has a wide arc, or burns a portion of the ground for a little bit, or something like that.
I might look for some videos of some skills and spells later. in case i find something interesting.

Also, just to let you know, it's against the forum rules to double post, so don't be afraid to use that 'edit' button instead of posting again after one of your posts.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Also, just to let you know, it's against the forum rules to double post, so don't be afraid to use that 'edit' button instead of posting again after one of your posts.
I double posted? To me is just showing this post just once. Sorry if it get doubled, my phone sometimes have connection problems and things like that could happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I double posted? To me is just showing this post just once. Sorry if it get doubled, my phone sometimes have connection problems and things like that could happen.
It tends to happen with my iPad too, sadly.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't mean posting the same post, I mean posted one after the other. Like these two posts:
I saw it in other places too. It happens sometimes with new members because of not being used to the rules.
In other words, you have to wait for someone else to post before posting again. but you can edit your posts. You can also quote multiple people in one post.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean posting the same post, I mean posted one after the other. Like these two posts:

I saw it in other places too. It happens sometimes with new members because of not being used to the rules.
In other words, you have to wait for someone else to post before posting again. but you can edit your posts.
Ahhh, now I get it. Sorry, about that. Will try to not happen again.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So uh... Today, our boy Erdrick and Dragon Quest 3 turn 31, so, congrats to a great game!

I've mentioned this twice now, but DQ3 is special to me because it Made me a huge fan of the series!

Crossing my fingers so Erdrick gets his place in Smash. It would be a sick joke if he weren't. Square Enix can't just toy with people's Hearts like this, and not with a national treasure to them.

Edit: image is not mine. But I want to finish a little something i wanted to share on this thread later.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wish that Dragon Quest 3 got featured on the SNES Classic.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's sad that the snes version didn't even get featured anywhere for the west. Hopefully it comes to the swtich.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So uh... Today, our boy Erdrick and Dragon Quest 3 turn 31, so, congrats to a great game!

I've mentioned this twice now, but DQ3 is special to me because it Made me a huge fan of the series!

Crossing my fingers so Erdrick gets his place in Smash. It would be a sick joke if he weren't. Square Enix can't just toy with people's Hearts like this, and not with a national treasure to them.
This whole debacle will really put the leakers onto the chopping block. I don't think I would be able to take any leaker, even Verge, seriously ever again if Erdrick wasn't in. Everything just points to him now.

D

Deleted member

It's sad that the snes version didn't even get featured anywhere for the west. Hopefully it comes to the swtich.
Maybe Square releases many DQ ports on Switch like they did with Final Fantasy through various ways.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe Square releases many DQ ports on Switch like they did with Final Fantasy through various ways.
Yes there's been rumors about that. It's definitely a good time to do that if erdrick is in.
If there's a collection or something I'd totally get it :)

D

Deleted member

Yes there's been rumors about that. It's definitely a good time to do that if erdrick is in.
If there's a collection or something I'd totally get it :)
Me too.
I also plan to get DQXI for PS4, since I saw a sealed copy for 25€ in a store and in good conditions.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I was looking at erdrick's spells, and what luminary can learn, and he can also learn them, like Sizz spells(fire), Zap as well(lightning), and Boom(explosion), among other ones. So in the case where there's a luminary skin, all the magic would work for it too.

Here's something I'm wondering. later in the series the sword slash skills are a pretty big thing, and I wonder how dq fans would feel if erdrick got some of those, like for smash attacks or gigaslash for a final smah. I dont think it would be that weird, adding those. What do y'all think?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So I was looking at erdrick's spells, and what luminary can learn, and he can also learn them, like Sizz spells(fire), Zap as well(lightning), and Boom(explosion), among other ones. So in the case where there's a luminary skin, all the magic would work for it too.

Here's something I'm wondering. later in the series the sword slash skills are a pretty big thing, and I wonder how dq fans would feel if erdrick got some of those, like for smash attacks or gigaslash for a final smah. I dont think it would be that weird, adding those. What do y'all think?
That's great!
I haven't played XI so I wouldn't know, but not having same skills shouldn't be a taboo. Ness/Lucas, and Even Simon/Erdrick share moves from each other, or from other characters the latter two even got an explanation from Sakurai.

If there's anyone who probably wouldn't be alright with their characters knowing moves that don't belong, it'd be someone at Square Enix.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's great!
I haven't played XI so I wouldn't know, but not having same skills shouldn't be a taboo. Ness/Lucas, and Even Simon/Erdrick share moves from each other, or from other characters the latter two even got an explanation from Sakurai.

If there's anyone who probably wouldn't be alright with their characters knowing moves that don't belong, it'd be someone at Square Enix.
I find that megaman is pretty weird when you consider how megaman actually plays in the games, but that's not SE, so I dunno.

It wouldn't be a big deal if there weren't slash skills, but I think it would make sense as a DQ rep in general. There's the elemental slashes, but also the other ones, and I could easily see them not just as smash attacks but even to name certain attacks that could have some interesting effects. (animations, or actual effects somehow)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Was really no chance of that considering that it was never ON the SNES.

That said, I do think it's SUPER weird that there were no DQ games on the Famicom or Super Famicom minis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom