• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
hey add me to the support list DQ in smash was something I never knew I wanted it till I thought about the idea I was opposed to the idea because I thought they'd cop-out and do slime as the rep which i don't want unless it's rocket

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Lol, I actually really like the loud colors of the SNES design. It's just so bright and striking to me.

If I had to pick one Erdrick design to be used for Smash, it would have to be the Bring Arts figure. To me, it's an improved version of the SNES design, and it looks darn cool.

View attachment 191120

That said, I think he looks great in the image you'd pick as well. I'd be fine with either interpretation of the character.
Hey, do you happen to have the image on the right in full rezz?
I would like to do something with it, but I can't find it anywhere!

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well, it appears that Jump Force isn't all that and a bag of chips, so that really puts a damper on increasing awareness for Dai and his manga series.
It's there fault for choosing that realistic art style that turned so many people off they really should have went the cel shaded route

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's there fault for choosing that realistic art style that turned so many people off they really should have went the cel shaded route
That, and the roster size seems to have upset s lot of people.

I want to get it, mostly for the Rurouni Kenshin characters, Saint Seiya characters, and of course, most of all, for Dai.
But I have a bad feeling that Bamco already promised more characters behind a "support the game" wall. That is never a good sign.

I Guess that's GG for a Switch version.

(I also like Jump Force because the Saiyans arent immediately Super Saiyan, or a separate character slot).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I think this is the best avatar for me :)

Also, I'm glad we're using this thread a bit more. I like SE in general, but it's nice to have our dq bubble too.
I was thinking of watching the dai anime sometime. I usually go for the anime instead of the manga unless there's some big reason the anime isn't as good.

D

Deleted member

Well I think this is the best avatar for me :)

Also, I'm glad we're using this thread a bit more. I like SE in general, but it's nice to have our dq bubble too.
I was thinking of watching the dai anime sometime. I usually go for the anime instead of the manga unless there's some big reason the anime isn't as good.
The anime is great but it never finished adapting the manga, only covered about a fourth of it I recall

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That, and the roster size seems to have upset s lot of people.

I want to get it, mostly for the Rurouni Kenshin characters, Saint Seiya characters, and of course, most of all, for Dai.
But I have a bad feeling that Bamco already promised more characters behind a "support the game" wall. That is never a good sign.

I Guess that's GG for a Switch version.

(I also like Jump Force because the Saiyans arent immediately Super Saiyan, or a separate character slot).
Not to mention the bizarre picks, especially a character that's disliked even among Naruto fans.

Though at least Europe got to enjoy Ryo Saeba being in there.

The anime is great but it never finished adapting the manga, only covered about a fourth of it I recall
Yeah that's about right. Plus the subs aren't done yet, but luckily that's being taken care of.

https://nyaa.si/user/tenshisubs

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So do you guys think we'll see erdrick next week?
There's all sorts of chances..
I'm a bit more hopeful about it than I was the last weeks. If there's a character reveal, I think erdrick's chances are higher than 50% :)

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Jump Force shouldn't be taking anyone by surprise. I wasn't even paying close attention and it seemed pretty clear to me what the final product was going to be like. Spike has a long history of making that type of fairly bad arena fighter, and aside from the roster and weird premise Jump Force doesn't seem much different.

I don't think it makes too much difference anyway. One character in a cast of tons probably wasn't gonna win over crowds. Sharing headlines with Jotaro probably did more for Dai than actually being in the roster.

If there's actually a Direct, and if the Direct really has a trailer for the next Smash character, and if Erdrick is actually in, and if Erdrick's specifically Character #2: maybe.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't say if it's next week. They're certainly some chances against a newcomer being revealed in the next direct when we haven't even seen Joker gameplay. Also add onto how Piranha Plant was just finished at around the start of the month and I'm not sure how much time they had to work on other DLCs.

Do I think Erdrick is in as a general statement? Yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can't say if it's next week. They're certainly some chances against a newcomer being revealed in the next direct when we haven't even seen Joker gameplay. Also add onto how Piranha Plant was just finished at around the start of the month and I'm not sure how much time they had to work on other DLCs.

Do I think Erdrick is in as a general statement? Yeah.
Well, pplant might've been close to being done for quite a while if they were planning it for base roster originally.

They revealed joker with no gameplay, so I think it's still possible to do the same for the next character.
To get all 5 characters in one year, that means 1 character every 2-3 months. It's been 2 months since joker's reveal, so.. I'm thinking it could happen anytime from here on out.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It depends on whether they go the same route with the next character that they did with Joker. It's doubtful that they'd be ready to show off gameplay of the next character yet (I expect we will see Joker), but a non-gameplay teaser is a definite possibility. The next Direct is gonna be a big one; it makes sense to show off something there, even if it's just Brave Boy Gets A Letter.

There are plenty of regular letters in DQ, but I'd want it to be a scroll, just for variety.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, pplant might've been close to being done for quite a while if they were planning it for base roster originally.

They revealed joker with no gameplay, so I think it's still possible to do the same for the next character.
To get all 5 characters in one year, that means 1 character every 2-3 months. It's been 2 months since joker's reveal, so.. I'm thinking it could happen anytime from here on out.
True. When Piranha Plant was revealed with gameplay was in November 1, 2018. His core moves were there, too. Like, he almost looked complete. If all that was holding PPlant back was coding and balance issues, then nothing is stopping Joker's model being shown off in action. They had three months of progress to at least get a head start of Joker and finish Piranha Plant. Might be possible.

It depends on whether they go the same route with the next character that they did with Joker. It's doubtful that they'd be ready to show off gameplay of the next character yet (I expect we will see Joker), but a non-gameplay teaser is a definite possibility. The next Direct is gonna be a big one; it makes sense to show off something there, even if it's just Brave Boy Gets A Letter.

There are plenty of regular letters in DQ, but I'd want it to be a scroll, just for variety.
I am interested because if they do go the announcement trailer method, does that mean we're getting an animation or something as small? I don't know enough about Dragon Quest to understand the best way to announce Erdrick with no concrete progress made toward him.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
True. When Piranha Plant was revealed with gameplay was in November 1, 2018. His core moves were there, too. Like, he almost looked complete. If all that was holding PPlant back was coding and balance issues, then nothing is stopping Joker's model being shown off in action. They had three months of progress to at least get a head start of Joker and finish Piranha Plant. Might be possible.

I am interested because if they do go the announcement trailer method, does that mean we're getting an animation or something as small? I don't know enough about Dragon Quest to understand the best way to announce Erdrick with no concrete progress made toward him.
Wasn't cloud just mostly shown with the in-game model? There's talk about the DQ11 port as well as other games from the series going on the switch. They could have prepared something to both show dq off as well as finish with the character reveal. Could also have something animated too with that tho :)

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Obviously as a fan I'd want a big-fuss CG trailer, I guess by the team that did the pre-rendered cutscenes for DQXI. That'd be extremely exciting and highly unlikely. If SE's baby Cloud didn't get anything special, I'm doubtful they'd go so far for Dragon Quest.

The cheaper alternatives are to have Yuji Horii announce it and maybe show off some new Toriyama doodles as if it's a DQ game announcement, or do a cute little in-engine sequence in DQIII. Erdrick gets a Smash invitation from a chest or is given it by the King of Aliahan or something. That'd work well if DQIII really is getting a Switch port.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't cloud just mostly shown with the in-game model? There's talk about the DQ11 port as well as other games from the series going on the switch. They could have prepared something to both show dq off as well as finish with the character reveal. Could also have something animated too with that tho :)
Well Cloud was revealed exactly like Piranha Plant so I think Joker showing off his moves is a possibility. Just one of those last minute anxieties, you feel? Felt the same way about the Grinch Leak and the November direct, lol.

And since DQ 11 Switch is actually confirmed and there are rumors of other DQ ports coming to the Switch, I think there is something to talk about in this direct. My biggest concern might be Direct length. With the current rumors going on for what's to expect for the next direct, it definitely sounds like a lot to cram in. It feels like with so much I'm expecting to see in about thirty minutes of video, so I find it hard to believe we're getting both Joker gameplay and newcomer reveal even though it sounds like the most logical route from past experience.
The cheaper alternatives are to have Yuji Horii announce it and maybe show off some new Toriyama doodles as if it's a DQ game announcement, or do a cute little in-engine sequence in DQIII. Erdrick gets a Smash invitation from a chest or is given it by the King of Aliahan or something. That'd work well if DQIII really is getting a Switch port.
Ah! That works out really well! Cheap, cute, and you don't even need to show off gameplay with that. Not even artwork. Huh. Good idea, mate.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Jump Force reminds me a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. Under that strange art-style, lackluster story mode, and weak roster there's some love for the source material and an artistic vision, but all one can see is mess caused by too much corporate control.

I'm still salty there's 4 Bleach characters but Yu Yu Hakusho and JoJo are stuck with 2.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Assuming Erdrick is definitely a DLC character.

... Then no.
I think the lack of a January direct Will have Nintendo playing catchup with themselves. So many games they needed to cover, it'd be a miracle if they decide to give Smash some spotlight. But if they do, I'm sure they'll show Joker's playstyle/moveset. I don't think they'll Even hint at character yet.

I do think the next direct after that will. Again, if Erdrick was definitely a DLC character.
Also, the Bring Arts figure releases July 31. Can't help but having a funny feeling...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well Cloud was revealed exactly like Piranha Plant so I think Joker showing off his moves is a possibility. Just one of those last minute anxieties, you feel? Felt the same way about the Grinch Leak and the November direct, lol.

And since DQ 11 Switch is actually confirmed and there are rumors of other DQ ports coming to the Switch, I think there is something to talk about in this direct. My biggest concern might be Direct length. With the current rumors going on for what's to expect for the next direct, it definitely sounds like a lot to cram in. It feels like with so much I'm expecting to see in about thirty minutes of video, so I find it hard to believe we're getting both Joker gameplay and newcomer reveal even though it sounds like the most logical route from past experience.

Ah! That works out really well! Cheap, cute, and you don't even need to show off gameplay with that. Not even artwork. Huh. Good idea, mate.
It's been a long time since a direct. They might make it longer, with a section for smash at the end.
It didnt take long to show a few moves for pplant. I do hope they show a bit more than that of joker, but it feels they could just show a few things and the character reveal wouldnt take long if they dont have footage.

It's definitely possible we're looking for more than the direct will have. But I could see it going with both joker and a character reveal pretty easily still. it's all up in the air, of course .

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hey, what did you guys want in Erdrick's trailer?
I would like they stated that he was the one who Joker steals the Letter(His Game Awards Letter). And he end up forming a party with others from the roaster(name Ike, Zelda and Robin) and start a quest to get a new Letter.

D

Deleted member

I would like they stated that he was the one who Joker steals the Letter(His Game Awards Letter). And he end up forming a party with others from the roaster(name Ike, Zelda and Robin) and start a quest to get a new Letter.
I would like to see the trailer featuring every RPG rep in Smash.
Maybe something where they start with a chronological summary of popular moments from every RPG franchise with playable fighters in Smash, ending with the reveal of Erdrick and how he fights against them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If the rumors and leak is true, then there'll be enough alt costumes heroes to make up a DQ party ;)
and no i dont mean this:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Jump Force reminds me a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. Under that strange art-style, lackluster story mode, and weak roster there's some love for the source material and an artistic vision, but all one can see is mess caused by too much corporate control.

I'm still salty there's 4 Bleach characters but Yu Yu Hakusho and JoJo are stuck with 2.
Bleach is lucky to be in there at all, no other 2000s Jump property got in, not even Death Note.

D

Deleted member

I just want Erdrick.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I'm a simple man.

... I dream of a 30 second teaser, animated by Bird Studio. Where Link, Marth, and Shulk are Fighting Ganondorf, and Erdrick comes to the rescue before Link is dealt the finishing blow. Erdrick turns around and Ganondorf stands up again as beast Ganon...

.. part of me would love The idea of a DQ3 party members jumping in to aid Erdrick in his Final Smash.

(I would love to come up with a concept that doesn't involve the cliché of newcomer rescuing character from Evil character... But it's Erdrick, so Oldschool and cliché is the way to go).

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
If the rumors and leak is true, then there'll be enough alt costumes heroes to make up a DQ party ;)
I know, but I find more fun to they make a party with the other characters, specially alluding the "Hero, Warrior, Pristress, Mage" combo that usually is done.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I'm a simple man.

... I dream of a 30 second teaser, animated by Bird Studio. Where Link, Marth, and Shulk are Fighting Ganondorf, and Erdrick comes to the rescue before Link is dealt the finishing blow. Erdrick turns around and Ganondorf stands up again as beast Ganon...

.. part of me would love The idea of a DQ3 party members jumping in to aid Erdrick in his Final Smash.

(I would love to come up with a concept that doesn't involve the cliché of newcomer rescuing character from Evil character... But it's Erdrick, so Oldschool and cliché is the way to go).
Perfect Maō allusion. Would be nice too.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The inclusion of Erdrick would complete three of five members of the "Major Third-Party JRPG Company Quintet":
  • Cloud (Square)
  • Erdrick (Enix)
  • Joker (Atlus)
  • ???? (Nihon Falcom)
  • ???? (Namco)
All that would be left is a Nihon Falcom representative and a Namco representative, and the quintet will be complete.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
The inclusion of Erdrick would complete three of five members of the "Major Third-Party JRPG Company Quintet":
  • Cloud (Square)
  • Erdrick (Enix)
  • Joker (Atlus)
  • ???? (Nihon Falcom)
  • ???? (Namco)
All that would be left is a Nihon Falcom representative and a Namco representative, and the quintet will be complete.
If they put someone from Nippon Ichi, specially someone from Disgaea my brother would sh*t bricks, cry alot, hug the tv, cried more, hug the dog and probably run naked in the street.

D

Deleted member

If they put someone from Nippon Ichi, specially someone from Disgaea my brother would sh*t bricks, cry alot, hug the tv, cried more, hug the dog and probably run naked in the street.
Oh ****. I never imagined Laharl in Smash Bros. That'd be crazy. It's another forgotten series I grew up with.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
  • Cloud (Square)
  • Erdrick (Enix)
  • Joker (Atlus)
  • ???? (Nihon Falcom)
  • ???? (Namco)
Adol is obvious, though the main issue is that Nihon Falcom is under everyone's radar.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Adol is obvious, though the main issue is that Nihon Falcom is under everyone's radar.
Assuming Sakurai and Nintendo are fishing for under-the-radar characters this time around, Adol might be the perfect reel-in. Though, it probably won't be the biggest internet fireworks show caused by a third-party Japanese character reveal (that belongs to a different Square-Enix character).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Assuming Sakurai and Nintendo are fishing for under-the-radar characters this time around, Adol might be the perfect reel-in. Though, it probably won't be the biggest internet fireworks show caused by a third-party Japanese character reveal (that belongs to a different Square-Enix character).
Uhh how about the Gurumin drill girl, I think she deserves a shot too ;)
well, i guess that's not really a jrpg, but anyway.

We're already getting persona and possibly dq that're rpgs. I doubt we'd get any more.. I could see 1 more maybe.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
If he somehow got a full-length pre-rendered newcomer trailer on par with the base game characters, I'd love for Cloud to be prominent in it. The poor guy couldn't make it in any other CG cutscenes, and it'd just be nice for the faces of FF and DQ to either face off or have each other's backs. It'd almost be like Mario and Sonic, except if Mario and Sonic were both owned by the same company that never really used them together.

God, just imagine the music. Even Castlevania might not be as spoiled for grade-A tunes as Ys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom