• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey Dragon Quest fans, quick question.

With the chance Erdrick is coming to Smash I was thinking about checking out some Dragon Quest stuff to learn about the series. However lacking the time or energy to start yet another RPG while I've got a few others going right now, I was thinking about checking out Dragon Quest Warriors (Heroes?). I know the game play obviously won't be the same but would that be a way to learn about the world or is it just too far removed from the main games?
Nope it's fine for the general jist of the universe, all the same enemies, and same atmosphere and types of characters. I like the series, and am a fan of action-rpgs though, so maybe some others would say differently.
I recommend the second one though, it has more going for it, but dont get it on the pc, because it has too many issues.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Nope it's fine for the general jist of the universe, all the same enemies, and same atmosphere and types of characters. I like the series, and am a fan of action-rpgs though, so maybe some others would say differently.
I recommend the second one though, it has more going for it, but dont get it on the pc, because it has too many issues.
What kind of issues? I see it's also listed as being on Switch but I don't think I've ever seen it in stores.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So fellas. What's your ideal stage for your DQ rep if (s)he were to get in Smash? And I'm not talking about the most likely scenario. I mean, what would be your IDEAL stage like?

My ideal stages would be similar in concept. Basically, they'd be like the Pilotwings / Skyward Sword / Delfino style stages, where they tour around a particular location.
I mean, yeah, that's pretty much it. When I think of Dragon Quest, I think of beautiful landscapes more than any one particular location. So a tour style level of the kingdom of Alefgard seems pretty solid.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What kind of issues? I see it's also listed as being on Switch but I don't think I've ever seen it in stores.
Well it has severe performance issues on pc. It slows down to the point of being unplayable when there's not even that many enemies on screen even on decent computers. I had to lower it to 30 fps just to make it playable and even then it could be a lot better. I want to get it for ps4 because I really like a lot about it. ps3 can be good enough too tho i think.

If not, the first one is.. alright, but it also didn't do as well. DQH2 has a lot more going.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to DQ Heroes, the best route is to go for the PS4 version, mainly because that's the one released in English. Just be warned the online co-op isn't used until the sequel though.

Also, there is a limited edition that comes with a plush slime. :awesome:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey Dragon Quest fans, quick question.

With the chance Erdrick is coming to Smash I was thinking about checking out some Dragon Quest stuff to learn about the series. However lacking the time or energy to start yet another RPG while I've got a few others going right now, I was thinking about checking out Dragon Quest Warriors (Heroes?). I know the game play obviously won't be the same but would that be a way to learn about the world or is it just too far removed from the main games?
Heroes is fine especially considering that there are a few party members from the series joining you, Builders is another one that came recently that is interesting as it is in the same world as DQ I (which you visit in III) but also can take a bit of time.

Rocket Slime for the DS would be a cool one for you since I think you mentioned liking Slime in another thread.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The Heroes games aren't connected to each other story-wise, they're each their own thing, so there's nothing wrong with skipping the first one and going right to Heroes II. It's a much better game in most ways, with an exploreable overworld and more move customization (with full-on class changing for the heroes), and much less emphasis on tower defense-style missions. It did relegate some of the first game's characters to multiplayer, though, which is a shame.

They're both perfectly OK action RPGs if you're fine with the Dynasty Warriors style. They're fairly repetitive and the stories don't capture the appeal of Dragon Quest that well, but they're serviceable. They trade in the Warriors games' battlefield management element for deeper RPG mechanics and a full party of four you can control, and the enemies actually put up a fight sometimes. Just like Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors, there's a level of enjoyment you'll be missing if you don't know who the guest characters are, but it's not terrible as an introduction either.

I still really want a Heroes III. There's room to make something genuinely great out of that formula, and I won't be satisfied until I can play as Debora.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
and I won't be satisfied until I can play as Debora.
Truer words were never spoken. It's basically the one reason why I want Heroes III (I'm a simple man). In fact, I find it strange they haven't leapt upon making III yet, though KT/OF should now that DQ11 is out the door.

But then again, they HAVE been doing the battle engine for DQ Builders 2, so...

Last edited:

Pennate

Smash Cadet
Add me to the support list, please; Dragon Quest is the only third-party franchise left that I'd like to see in Smash Bros., and Erdrick is my first choice for a character.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If Erdrick does get in, where should we be placed in All-Star? Should he be between Zelda and Samus to represent the first time he was mentioned in the original Dragon Quest or after Mega Man to represent his first physical appearance in Dragon Quest III?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If Erdrick does get in, where should we be placed in All-Star? Should he be between Zelda and Samus to represent the first time he was mentioned in the original Dragon Quest or after Mega Man to represent his first physical appearance in Dragon Quest III?
It depends... where did they put :ultdarksamus:, again?

They did count her cameo at the end of Prime 1 as her debut, or Prime 2?

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
The rumors made it sound like it is generic "Hero" with the alternate skins being the Hero from various games. So it will depend which is the earliest Hero represented. There could be a DQ1 skin.

I am weirdly looking forward to DQ Builders 2 more than DQ11 on Switch...
I think Builders is a better game than 11.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman

They definitely used Prime 2. Between the cameo and Dark Samus being Metroid Prime anyway I'd call that outright wrong, but it's not like it's too important.

Either way, I'm sure they'd fit Erdrick between Mega Man and Daisy, even if there are other characters attached. Seems like the simplest way to do it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Her release date was counted as the Japanese release of Metroid Prime 2. So, Erdrick's would probably be the Japanese release of Dragon Quest III, which would place him between :ultmegaman: and :ultdaisy:.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm in the last stretches of my DQV replay.
I could have actually beaten the game about a week ago, but I refuse to beat it with Bianca (I chose her again btw) not at my level cuz I wanted her to be strong enough to fight at my side in the final battle (when you finally rescue her, she's like 12 levels behind). If the game "intends" for you to put her in the wagon and "protect" her like a big strong husband or whatever, I'm not here for it. We fight as equals.

So I walked around Nadiria leveling her up, and thus my entire party as well. I've done this for about 5 hours total over the past week, and I would have grinded more if I had more podcasts to listen to as I do this monotonous activity.

But I started a new session today and, on the VERY FIRST BATTLE--

20190128_190345.jpg

YEAHHHHH!!!

...this actually happened last time too, lol. I wasn't counting on it actually happening again, and would have 100% been fine with just me, my two kids, Saber, and my Slime and Cureslime (I didn't use Sancho or Tuppence since I relied on them a lot last time), but it looks like I'll once again have an easier time than usual traversing the final dungeon.

Bianca only needs a few more levels then she'll be able to survive Mt. Zugzwang, wish me luck.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I never really collected monsters in DQ games on account of them being so RNG. I played through all of DQ5 with pretty much just the human characters. And pretty much just the family in the second half.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So here are a few rough Spirit ideas.
Format is:

- Name
∆(slots used up) (effect goes here)
(Description of spirit as a Spirit Board / WoL opponent)
(Character representing the spirit)
(Special conditions)

LEGEND:
- Psaro (Primary) (Enhanceable)
Sword Attack Up
- Psaro Transmuted
Magic Attack Up
Marth (Black alt)
Killing Edge equipped
Stamina Battle
When stamina reached 0, turns into giant Bowser.
[][][]

ACE

- Terry
∆ Easier Perfect Shield
Link (teal alt)
Favors Smash attacks

- Jessica
∆ Magic Defense Up
Zero Suit Samus
Fire Flower equipped

ADVANCED

- Alena
∆ Fist Attack Up
Daisy
Attack power up

- Erik
∆ Up Special Attack Up
Sheik (Green alt)
Final Smash charges quickly

NOVICE

- Torneko
∆∆ Items last longer
King Dedede (Light Blue alt)

- Nevan
∆ Magic Attack Up
Robin (male)
Magic Attack increased

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think DQ spirits would mostly be the monsters rather than the human characters.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I definitely think he's getting in, even if he's not Brave. Dragon Quest III is about as big of a deal as FF7 in Japan, I think it was voted the third-best game of all time there a few years ago, under a couple of FF games. So he would be the second "Cloud" bombshell for them, and then maybe they'll balance him out with a big western character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think, given the content associated with the other SquareEnix character, DQ will be lucky if it gets spirits at all.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think DQ spirits would mostly be the monsters rather than the human characters.
Totally forgot about the Monsters.

I Guess Slime would be a Novice spirit, represented by Blue Kirby, and being really easy to KO.

If it were King Slime you'd Fight a bunch of Kirbys, and then a giant Kirby shows up.

Other Monster spirits could be: Golem, Chimera, and Dracky, to name a few.

But this is all mostly wishful thinking.

Assist Trophy, I'd like to see Maya.
And Boss, hands down, Zoma.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So am having fun with Dragon Quest 1 for the mobile. Thanks for suggesting this quest. It’s simple but charming enough. Am curious now for newer DQ games. What do you guys recommend? DQ3 seems like a favorite here no?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Depends what you want out of your rpgs.

None of the first three DQs are much for story. But 3 introduces what is, basically, the Job system (2 years before Final Fantasy 3). So that's fun. They don't really use that system again until 7 and 9.

4 is the first one with real characters and a plot.

And 5 is the one with the BEST characters and plot.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it'll be a minute.

I'm curious about the DLC stuff, but I'm much more curious whether there've been any attempts to cover it all up. I hope it's really wacky.

So am having fun with Dragon Quest 1 for the mobile. Thanks for suggesting this quest. It’s simple but charming enough. Am curious now for newer DQ games. What do you guys recommend? DQ3 seems like a favorite here no?
DQIII's a good place to go after DQI, definitely. It's still obviously an older game, but the leap forward from DQI is significant. Plus it's closely connected to DQI, so it makes sense to do it while that game's fresh in your mind.

If you're in the mood for a really different kind of game, my unorthodox pick is Dragon Quest Builders. It's an even more direct sequel to DQI than DQII or DQIII are, and it's pretty fun if you're even just a little interested in building-type games. It's much more tightly focused than Minecraft, with an actual for-real story and everything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, you'll get more results if you go to bed soon and wake up the next morning. It kills the wait and provides a healthy way to kill time. From what has been uncovered, it's just Piranha Plant and balance notes.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Not really Smash-related or even that important, but the new Builders 2 update has a big ol' Emblem of Erdrick you can make to ward off monsters in the postgame. Our guy's still getting some play.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Erdrick has been getting a lot of attention lately.

- DQ Builders
- Heroes (costume)
- Heroes 2 (costume?)
- Bing arts Figure
- Emblem of Roto manga
- Builders 2
- Monsters Victory Road
- DQ Scan Battles
- DQXI
- DQVR

I mean in the 7~9 era, there was little to no Erdrick references. Except for the 7-8 3DS versions.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I did it! Real tough, just like last time.

20190130_190510.jpg

My first playthrough was 60 hours. This time, I only took 36. Would have been 30 if I didn't grind Bianca up, so it's definitely possible.

This game still rules. My only complaint is I wish it was harder, but it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That's a fun avatar shinhed-echi.

Needs some Crono though.
Thanks. At the time I wasn't thinking of including bits from all 7. But I might get to it at some point.

I definitely think he's getting in, even if he's not Brave. Dragon Quest III is about as big of a deal as FF7 in Japan, I think it was voted the third-best game of all time there a few years ago, under a couple of FF games. So he would be the second "Cloud" bombshell for them, and then maybe they'll balance him out with a big western character.
I think it's interesting to note that during the 3DS era, Dragon Quest 3 managed to stay top 5 best selling digital games Through most of it's lifespan.
Maybe only outsold by the Pokémon games, I don't quite remember.
But Nintendo pays attention to this. I mean we got a Pokémon Yellow remake of sorts after all.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I did it! Real tough, just like last time.

View attachment 189474

My first playthrough was 60 hours. This time, I only took 36. Would have been 30 if I didn't grind Bianca up, so it's definitely possible.

This game still rules. My only complaint is I wish it was harder, but it's not a big deal.
Did you do all the bonus content? It adds a fun bit of challenge to the game.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
There's a theory going around that Mii Swordfighter and Dunk Hunt are being used as a base for DLC characters, as those two are the other characters that cause issues when fighting in All-Star. There's a number of issues with this theory but, if it's true, doesn't it make sense that Erdrick's base would be the Mii Swordfighter, seeing how they have similar builds and semi-similar styles of sword play?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Dunk Hunt
Is it finally Charles Barkley's time to join the slam jam?

(I really doubt it's significant, though I wouldn't be surprised if some weird leftovers turned up somewhere from the attempt to scrub out anything DLC-related)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Depends what you want out of your rpgs.

None of the first three DQs are much for story. But 3 introduces what is, basically, the Job system (2 years before Final Fantasy 3). So that's fun. They don't really use that system again until 7 and 9.
You forgot 6. And 3 is really just the start of it, since it's not as advanced.
Class systems are dope :)

There's a theory going around that Mii Swordfighter and Dunk Hunt are being used as a base for DLC characters, as those two are the other characters that cause issues when fighting in All-Star. There's a number of issues with this theory but, if it's true, doesn't it make sense that Erdrick's base would be the Mii Swordfighter, seeing how they have similar builds and semi-similar styles of sword play?
That sounds like something random someone said. I really dont think they'd use them to base a character.
Duck Hunt has a few stats that are close to what we saw for brave, but it's not the same at all. The only thing with brave that was from another fighter is Joker's landing data.
I do wonder who they based joker from at first. maybe bayo? maybe not but feels like they could :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel that the if those two were used as base models, they would use a copy of them rather than the original so they wouldn't cause issues. Besides, isn't Bowser Jr. supposedly the base for PP? If being the base for another character was the issue, wouldnt Bowser Jr cause issues as well?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You forgot 6. And 3 is really just the start of it, since it's not as advanced.
Class systems are dope :)

That sounds like something random someone said. I really dont think they'd use them to base a character.
Duck Hunt has a few stats that are close to what we saw for brave, but it's not the same at all. The only thing with brave that was from another fighter is Joker's landing data.
I do wonder who they based joker from at first. maybe bayo? maybe not but feels like they could :)
I'm leaning on Sheik to be Joker's base.

As for DH, must be a Banjo Kazooie thing, even though he doesn't walk on all fours.

And we still don't know if it's child or adult Erdrick.

I don't know about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom