• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Has the official (English) DQ twitter always been, uh, "DRAGON QUEST", or did they switch to all caps very recently? I don't remember it being like that. Some other SE franchise accounts are, it's not that weird, but a recent sudden change might mean... y'know, stuff. A pivot to promoting some kind of new project, sort of stuff.

Not that I think anything's up, you understand. I just want to have said that something might be up in case something later turns out to have been up.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Oh, ****. Given all my inactivity, there are a LOT of people to add to the supporters list. This... might take a while.

Glad Erdrick's chances are on the up!

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Anybody got any links or ideas for Erdrick moveset? What will sakurai do to make him stand out from other swordfighters? I got jerks claiming it’s just another robin wannabe swordfighter (I got the same flak for supporting Isaac.)

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Anybody got any links or ideas for Erdrick moveset? What will sakurai do to make him stand out from other swordfighters? I got jerks claiming it’s just another robin wannabe swordfighter (I got the same flak for supporting Isaac.)
Robin is very different in that he fights primarily with tomes and doesn't use a shield. Erdrick is a fighter first and a spellcaster second, he doesn't use any sort of spell focus and unlike Link it's possible he could incorporate his shield into his moveset somehow.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Hey guys,

Just stopping by to mention im utterly addicted to Dragon Quest 5 right now. The mobile port is fantastic and is super easy on battery. Thanks to everyone for being vocal about your love for this series, you’ve made a new fan who would have never otherwise tried the series. Welp, back to playing!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DQ protagonists are typically a jack of all trades, capable of wielding many types of weapons alongside magic. They could use spears, staves, axes, whips, and more in their moveset plus spells like Frizz (a fireball), Sizz (a wave of fire), Crack (bolts of ice) and Zap (a large thunderbolt from above). Each spell also has higher tiers so they could also be charged.
Hey guys,

Just stopped by to mention im utterly addicted to Dragon Quest 5 right now. The mobile port is fantastic and is super easy on battery. Thanks to everyone for being vocal about your love for this series, you’ve made a new fan who would have never otherwise tried the series. Welp, back to playing!
Nice, glad to hear you're liking it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what the wildest part about it all is? It would be the first time Erdrick showed up in an actual new game since 1988 (the remakes don't count). He has been mentioned, but whenever a DQ crossover happens (internal or with :ultmario:), it's usually always the more popular secondary characters that appear, and none of the heroes. This would be breaking new ground.

To think that Nintendo actually included him in their list of suggestions, just in case.

I figure he could borrow a trick from Terry's rulebook and have monsters assist him for some of his attacks.

D

Deleted member

You know what the wildest part about it all is? It would be the first time Erdrick showed up in an actual new game since 1988 (the remakes don't count). He has been mentioned, but whenever a DQ crossover happens (internal or with :ultmario:), it's usually always the more popular secondary characters that appear, and none of the heroes. This would be breaking new ground.

To think that Nintendo actually included him in their list of suggestions, just in case.

I figure he could borrow a trick from Terry's rulebook and have monsters assist him for some of his attacks.
He's actually appeared in the Monster Battle Road arcade games, which is where this design comes from. But aside that, nothing other than major references.
s11r.png

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I finally got around to picking up Dragon Quest Swords a little while ago, and apparently Manami Matsumae did the soundtrack? I had no idea. I don't think Swords would exactly be a priority to get music from for Smash anyway, and I don't know if having a different composer would make it more or less difficult, but it's interesting. Swords has one of my favourite battle themes in the series, so I certainly wouldn't complain if that made it in.

They're similar conceptually, but in the details they probably wouldn't be much alike. Erdrick definitely wouldn't have anything like Robin's sword/tome system. If Erdrick got Frizz as a special it could be roughly like Robin's Thunder or Arcfire depending on how they played it, I guess, but that's it.

There are only two moves I'm certain Erdrick would have: Zoom as his up special, probably most similar to Dedede's up special (any DQ character would have this, probably even Slime), and Zap as one of his other specials. Something like Pikachu's Thunder, except in front of him, and maybe chargeable?

Personally I'd like to see Bang/Boom as his up smash and maybe Big Banga or Sizz as his down smash so he's only actually using his sword for one out of three, but there are plenty of options for those.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm seeing a lot of people wanting to jump in with Dragon Quest 3 as a starting point, and as someone who started with the first three games back to back, hear me out, I think you should play the first game first. SNES or Mobile remakes if you want something more palpable than the NES original, but DQ1 is really short and sweet for an RPG. I got through the NES version in 22 hours. I only say this because a pretty cool moment in DQ3 is made cooler if you've played the games in order.... You could probably skip DQ2 though and I might even recommend that you do.

Last edited:

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Yeah I would reconmend starting out with DQVI. DQIII is certainly not a bad entry point, but I think DQVI is a longer game with more content that captures a lot of class aspects of DQIII, but further expanded upon and is far less dated. Granted DQI and DQII are the most dated entries in the series without doubt, but as a longtime Dragon Quest fan I would recommend playing the Zenithia trilogy in order of VI -> IV -> V for multiple reasons (some gameplay based, others plot based). Although DQVIII introduces skill points into the series, and DQXI is a solid entry to the series as well, so I can vouch for those titles. Also as thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket said, I too would recommend skipping out on DQII, which this image can explain in great detail, with the added bit of knowledge that even being at max level in that game doesn't prevent everything from killing you instantly without a fair chance:

BTW, add me to the support list here please. Also I hope that Erdrick gets the female skin from the Gameboy Color version of DQIII, along with potentially some of the other protagonists in the series. Most DQ protags do use fire and lightning spells, except for DQV's protag, who was more of a wind magic user. All of the DQ protags however hit hard and are reliable party healers as well except for DQII's, who's is a pure physical powerhouse. I know some people keep saying that all of this makes Erdrick out to be a superior version of Robin. But with some alterations of mechanics, including other weapons like spears, claws, shields, or even summoning Slime for a fun time, I think there is good potential. Even spells such as Kaclang could have unique attributes like temporaily turning Erdrick metal, or maybe even use some more defensive/support magic attacks instead. Sakurai did mention these DLC characters wouldn't be echoes, and I doubt Erdrick is just gonna be a five dollar Robin echo fighter. Plus I'm excited to see Toryiama's art style in Smash Bros, it honestly shines a lot better in Dragon Quest than it does in Dragon Ball imo.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Dragon Quest 1 is unique even among contemporary RPGs because you only control one character. The game finds ways to challenge you fairly with this, such as only ever fighting one enemy at a time. If you ever fight more than one enemy in DQ1, it's the same type (3 Slimes, 2 Ghosts, etc.). It's also the only game in the series that limits your ability to see what's around you in dungeons, so you need to buy Torch items that reveal more of your surroundings. Juggling the amount of torches you carry with precious slots like equipment and room for medicinal herbs means that dungeons in DQ1 have a very unique difficulty to them that's tricky and satisfying to overcome.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Dragon Quest I is like the purest distillation of the JRPG, down to the absolute essentials. A lot of genre-defining games are hard to go back to, but DQI is so simple that it still basically works today, though it's worth going for a post-SNES version, since those ironed out the grind a bit. There's something very charming about its straightforwardness. It's hard to describe.

I'd personally disagree with Cruelcumber Cruelcumber about DQVI as a starting point, though. It's not a bad game, but it's pretty lengthy and starts to meander (and get difficult to figure out where the heck to go) after a while. It's the only DQ game that feels kind of unfinished, even in the remake, and the vocation system might be intimidating for an absolute newcomer. There's really no need to play it before IV and V, either, since the connection between those two games is already pretty loose, and their links to VI are even weaker. It sort of explains the origins of a couple of things, but not in ways that really add anything to the other games. It's more just for the fun of recognizing them when you're already familiar.

If I was trying to introduce someone to the series, I'd recommend (with preference to remakes over originals):

DQI -> DQIII, if you want to see how the series and JRPGs in general evolved in their early years, or if Erdrick really did get into Smash and you want to know who Sword Gohan is as quickly as possible. DQI is also worth playing before Builders, though it's not mandatory.

DQIV, if you're unfamiliar with turn-based RPGs and want to be eased into them, or if a party of fun, quirky characters is your #1 priority. You get to spend a chapter playing as each party member or small group of party members going on their own adventure before they all join up with the hero, so you get to know them all closely and get a tutorial on how they play before it's crunch time. Most of the really popular characters who show up in crossovers are from this one. Octopath owes it at least a little.

DQV, which has a really special story that's pretty unique even today, about the miserable life of the unluckiest man to ever live. It's actually pretty easy. Go for it if you want to make your own party out of monsters, if you really liked the live-an-entire-life concept from Fable that it couldn't quite live up to, or if you're a big fan of Persona or Fire Emblem and you really want to Pick A Girl. There's a good chance you'll cry.

DQVIII, a back-to-basics game that cuts out all the fat and trades it in for a fantastic presentation and a solid small cast of characters. If you gotta have 3D graphics and voiced dialogue or you hate managing the gear of too many party members, this one's for you. Yangus is just about the most lovable character there's ever been in a video game, and I'm still sour we never got that Mystery Dungeon game with him and Red as kids.

DQXI, which is both a love letter to the franchise and a deliberate jumping-on point for newbies. It's a good-lookin' game, following in VIII's footsteps, and has a solid story with some really standout moments and the most refined battle mechanics in the series, for whatever that's worth. It's a real novelty to see a game like DQXI, with the kind of budget it had, come out these days.

The other games are all good, but I wouldn't recommend them as anyone's first. DQII doesn't have the charm of DQI or the polish and ambition of DQIII, DQVI's a little plain and half-baked, DQVII is slow-paced and really, really, really long, DQIX has a multiplayer focus that kind of hurts it as a single-player game, and you better know Japanese if you want to play DQX.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm seeing a lot of people wanting to jump in with Dragon Quest 3 as a starting point, and as someone who started with the first three games back to back, hear me out, I think you should play the first game first. SNES or Mobile remakes if you want something more palpable than the NES original, but DQ1 is really short and sweet for an RPG. I got through the NES version in 22 hours. I only say this because a pretty cool moment in DQ3 is made cooler if you've played the games in order.... You could probably skip DQ2 though and I might even recommend that you do.
Adding to that, the main plot in DQ Builders directly references a crucial moment in that very game.

Plus you only control one guy. Though it can be troublesome from time to time, since you have only yourself to rely on for healing...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't know if I'd recommend DQI as someone's first Dragon Quest, simply due to how primitive it is. However, I'd still recommend that anyone who's interested in video game history or JRPGs play it to see where the genre basically started. It's kind of like watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarves as an animation fan, it's neat to see where a lot of genre standards began, even if it's rough around the edges.

Also, play the SNES port. It drastically cuts down on the need to grind, probably the worst part about the original Dragon Quest, by making enemies drop more exp and gold. It turns the game from a 20 hour commitment to something you can beat in an afternoon if you're proactive.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Hmmm. SO are there SNES remakes of all trilogy? I take it they all look visually superior as well as playing superior.

In terms of Erdrick's stuff/trilogy/games he's mentioned or involved in, what's the best version(s) for each?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hmmm. SO are there SNES remakes of all trilogy? I take it they all look visually superior as well as playing superior.

In terms of Erdrick's stuff/trilogy/games he's mentioned or involved in, what's the best version(s) for each?
The SNES versions are easily the best way to experience the Erdrick trilogy. Those versions make various quality of life improvements that make the gameplay feel a lot less grindy, along with generally looking better. There's also the Gameboy Colour and Mobile versions of the trilogy (which are based on the SNES' updated ideas), but those games suffer from screen crunch and awkward controls respectively.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
There's also the Gameboy Colour and Mobile versions of the trilogy (which are based on the SNES' updated ideas), but those games suffer from screen crunch and awkward controls respectively.
Is the GBC version also a screen-crunched version of the SNES version too?

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
There's no port of DQIII for GBA.

Actually, I think Caravan Heart and the original Slime MoriMori might be the only Dragon Quest games on GBA. A far cry from the flood of DQ games the DS and 3DS got.

Zetra3

Smash Rookie
RIP me, I'm the kind of person who plays from the start.
I beat Dragon Quest 1, half way through 2 right now. Doing the Translations of the SNES remakes for those

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
SNES versions package DQ 1 and 2 together, and the SNES version of 3 is an insane graphical overhaul with animated battles, and there's good fan translations out there that are much more preferable to the official translations imo... m not afraid to say I absoluitely hate the "ye oulde englishe" speak in some of the DQ games. The SNES versions are how I played the original trilogy. Thankfully, playing on emulator allows for you to speed up the game to cut down on grinding, although you still can't be careless and need to monitor your health.

I've also played the Mobile versions, which are also very good, and very cheap ( you' be supporting this series, which struggles in the west, if you buy instead of, or in addition to, emulating ), they highlight hidden items though, which might bring down the experience a little if scavenger hunts are your thing, or improve it if you're the type that just wants to experience the story. They also have music and graphics far improved over the SNES version....though the animations were taken out of DQ3 for some reason.

I've only played the NES versions of DQ1 and 2, didn't finish 2, I don't think anyone is missing out by going for the remakes instead. I heard the Gameboy versions are solid too.

I'd definitely say the mobile versions are the most streamlined, but i'd recommend the SNES version anyway because they'll eat your battery on mobile, and you can get better translations and speed up the grinding process if you're using the right emulator. Just beware playing for hours on a modern TV. Those retro games really love to burn into the screen.... usually goes away on it's own.

Someday i'll play the rest of the series. Maybe I'll get that new one when it hits Switch.

Last edited:

Zetra3

Smash Rookie
Generally, I enjoy emulation cause I'm the big old Resolution snob. But I always buy the consoles and games, So I can support my hobby. for non-american released games I just import them.
DQ1-3 - E-Snes
DQ4 - E-PS1
DQ5 - E-PS2
DQ6 - E-DS
DQ7 - 3DS (this one is a work in progress as I don't like the 3DS and Emulation option are limited)
DQ8 - E-PS2
DQ9 - E-DS
DQX - Research only, I ain't got time for an MMO
DQ11 - PS4

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Is the GBC version also a screen-crunched version of the SNES version too?
Ya, GBC actually suffers from a worst case of screen crunch than the mobile version due to its screen being so small. It's not the worst way to experience DQIII but its definitely not what I would recommend for someone new to the game.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Ya, GBC actually suffers from a worst case of screen crunch than the mobile version due to its screen being so small. It's not the worst way to experience DQIII but its definitely not what I would recommend for someone new to the game.
GBC is the only way I've ever know it. I'll say this about it: the graphics, sound, and smallness of the screen make the experience MAXIMUM comfy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bought the mobile version of Dragon Quest 1. Am gonna play this and see what’s up about this all.

D

Deleted member

Bought the mobile version of Dragon Quest 1. Am gonna play this and see what’s up about this all.
It's a very simple game by modern standards but still very enjoyable. Have fun dude

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
GBC is the only way I've ever know it. I'll say this about it: the graphics, sound, and smallness of the screen make the experience MAXIMUM comfy.
Dragon Warrior III for GBC was my first DQ game, though I didn't get into the series properly until way later. I haven't gone back to that version in ages since the SNES version is so easy to play these days, but I'm still fond of the graphical style. Screen crunch or not, it looks nicer than the NES original, at least to me.

I'm struggling to remember: is it only in DQII that Erdrick actually has dialogue, or does he speak to the player in DQI as well? I don't think he says anything particularly interesting, but I've always liked the silly rule that the silent protagonists are allowed to speak as long as the player's not actually controlling them for whatever reason. Golden Sun's like a way more extreme version of that, if I remember right. I guess that doesn't really apply to the first two games since Erdrick hadn't been a protagonist yet, but it's consistent.

I wonder if they'd give Erdrick a voice in Smash since he technically said some words once, is where I was going with that. I don't expect they would, but you're not getting the whole Dragon Quest experience without a UK theatre actor hamming it up.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Dragon Warrior III for GBC was my first DQ game, though I didn't get into the series properly until way later. I haven't gone back to that version in ages since the SNES version is so easy to play these days, but I'm still fond of the graphical style. Screen crunch or not, it looks nicer than the NES original, at least to me.

I'm struggling to remember: is it only in DQII that Erdrick actually has dialogue, or does he speak to the player in DQI as well? I don't think he says anything particularly interesting, but I've always liked the silly rule that the silent protagonists are allowed to speak as long as the player's not actually controlling them for whatever reason. Golden Sun's like a way more extreme version of that, if I remember right. I guess that doesn't really apply to the first two games since Erdrick hadn't been a protagonist yet, but it's consistent.

I wonder if they'd give Erdrick a voice in Smash since he technically said some words once, is where I was going with that. I don't expect they would, but you're not getting the whole Dragon Quest experience without a UK theatre actor hamming it up.
Erdrick doesn't technically say anything in DQI, but he does leave a tablet with a message written on it for his descendant.

If Erdrick is voiced, there's three ways I could see things going:
1. They get a member of the DQXI cast to voice him (the most ideal in my opinion, it's not dubbed Dragon Quest if there's no authentic brits)
2. They get a Cali actor to fake a British accent (Probably Ben Diskin or Liam O'Brien, as they seem to be pretty typecasted for british accents)
3. They just use the Japanese grunts and don't bother getting an English VA (ala Little Mac or Mewtwo)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
While it would be fun to listen to Erdrick having some dialogue. I'm pretty sure they'll be as conservative as possible with his inclusion.
Unless there was some super popular Japanese radio drama that I don't know that they need to include some lines from.

And yeah, it was weird having Isaac suddenly talk. He was a bit more brash than I imagined him to be. But then for Dark Dawn he sounded just like I originally imagined him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I got to that point of the game.
The plot twist is eh, considering the simple nature of DQ8's story. Hoping for some good twists soon after I defeated Dhoulmagus.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Erdrick doesn't technically say anything in DQI, but he does leave a tablet with a message written on it for his descendant.

If Erdrick is voiced, there's three ways I could see things going:
1. They get a member of the DQXI cast to voice him (the most ideal in my opinion, it's not dubbed Dragon Quest if there's no authentic brits)
2. They get a Cali actor to fake a British accent (Probably Ben Diskin or Liam O'Brien, as they seem to be pretty typecasted for british accents)
3. They just use the Japanese grunts and don't bother getting an English VA (ala Little Mac or Mewtwo)
There was no issue getting members of Xenoblade's cast back, so I can't imagine there'd be a problem finding actors from DQ's usual crowd to voice whoever. Rasmus Hardiker as male Erdrick seems pretty obvious, unless the Luminary got in too.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as there's some personality in their animations, but a part of me wants them to be Very British just to distinguish DQ from DBZ for the unfamiliar.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If there's one British voice actor I want to say take a stab at Erdrick, it's this guy:
"A Slime is always on its own. It's a lonely monster".

More seriously, I think Gunnar Cauthery could be a good choice for Erdrick. I think a wiser, more mature sound would work better for the legendary hero than Hardiker's Luminary. Although, Cauthery would need to sound a little more humble than the overconfidence in his performance as Erik.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I beat Dragon Quest 4!

This means I've beaten the first 5 games in the series since I started with DQ5.

I'm actually gonna replay DQ5 since DQ4 is connected to it, and I want to see the connections more clearly while the latter is fresh in my mind. DQ6 is next.

I was a little let down by Psaro the Manslayer. I understand that he's still an improvement over the Dragonlord, Hargon / Malroth, and Baramos / Zoma, since he has an understandable motivation with humans abusing an elf girl (Rose) he loved for her ruby tears, but I was hoping there'd be a little more to him than that. I suppose one of the monsters that helps put up the barrier for his lair in Heaven's Haven expands on him a bit by being the one who kidnapped Rose, but this monster doesn't appear as frequently throughout the story as I'd like, only at the very end and nowhere else, and I went "Huh?" when he revealed himself to be the one who manipulated Psaro. I even had to look up his name while writing this (it's Aamon).

I'll chalk it up to Yuji Horii still getting to grips with making a sympathetic villain. As clumsy as it was, I DID feel bad for Psaro by the end, even as I had to kill him.

Calane

Smash Ace
I beat Dragon Quest 4!

This means I've beaten the first 5 games in the series since I started with DQ5.

I'm actually gonna replay DQ5 since DQ4 is connected to it, and I want to see the connections more clearly while the latter is fresh in my mind. DQ6 is next.

I was a little let down by Psaro the Manslayer. I understand that he's still an improvement over the Dragonlord, Hargon / Malroth, and Baramos / Zoma, since he has an understandable motivation with humans abusing an elf girl (Rose) he loved for her ruby tears, but I was hoping there'd be a little more to him than that. I suppose one of the monsters that helps put up the barrier for his lair in Heaven's Haven expands on him a bit by being the one who kidnapped Rose, but this monster doesn't appear as frequently throughout the story as I'd like, only at the very end and nowhere else, and I went "Huh?" when he revealed himself to be the one who manipulated Psaro. I even had to look up his name while writing this (it's Aamon).

I'll chalk it up to Yuji Horii still getting to grips with making a sympathetic villain. As clumsy as it was, I DID feel bad for Psaro by the end, even as I had to kill him.
What version were you playing? I don't want to spoil anything, but in the version I played (DS), the story doesn't truly end after you kill Psaro. Let's just say there's an alternate outcome and leave it at that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something minor I'm wondering, will they go with Erdrick as his name in the US? I know they once switched to Loto for the GBC remakes, but switched back for the DQ9 references. If it is kept here, it'd be a little weird in the event his female alt gets in here, for her to share this name. At least in Europe, they still refer to Eddy as R(L)oto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom