• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ah, I see. What about the gameplay? Is it enjoyable for a newcomer who dabbles with rpgs here and there? (Mostly fire emblem)
It takes a bit of getting used to with leveling up and all (especially if you pick a Fool class, which messes around for the most part, though can actually becomes one of the best classes in the game if kept around long enough), but once you've done initial investment, it gets more pleasant. The first version of the first game however has no party, so it's best to have some experience before tackling that one.

Is there any sort of song that "encapsulates" Dragon Quest 3? Because, in all honesty, since the bulk of my DQ experience is with Fortune Street, the first direct song that pops in my head is Ghost Ship from that game, which I take to be at least the initial world map theme.

Anyway, recent events have convinced me that Erdrick is no longer a matter of if, but when: Ken tier.
What has me curious is how will his moveset be handled, if his trailer implies it. Defensive, with an emphasis on spells and his shield? Weapon-swapping? Monster partners ala Dragon Quest Monsters?

Seriously, I wish that damn Direct happened already so I could have peace of mind. :p

Well, he's no Geno, but I'm really glad that DQ finally got it's place in Smash. If I had it my way we would have gotten DQ instead of FF in the last game.
I hope the stage is really cool, my memory of DQ3 is a little hazy, so i'm not sure what I would imagine, though I've played through DQ1 four times now and know it really well. So I hope it's something in Alefgarde. Maybe something with Dragonlord making an appearance.
Speaking of Alefgard, you know what I realised last night as I went to bed?

WOL AND DRAGON QUEST III HAVE BOTH WORLDS OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS!

I shoulda known all along.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Dragon Quest is one of those games where I would not, at all, recommend the NES originals, unlike with Castlevania or Sonic where the originals hold up really well (Sonic's not an NES game but you know what I mean). The only major difference you're getting is that it takes longer to beat since the EXP enemies drop is half of what it usually is in remakes, and the money too I think. So you'd just be making the game longer for yourself. Same with Dragon Quest 7, it's incredibly time-consuming on the original PS1 compared to the 3DS remake (not that it still isn't a super huge game).

The SNES games (DQ5 and 6) still hold up alright, though. Even then I'd heartily recommend the DS remakes, or the smartphone versions.
What about the SNES remake of DQ3? I beloeve that version is what the smartphone game is based on.

D

Deleted member

What about the SNES remake of DQ3? I beloeve that version is what the smartphone game is based on.
Best version imo. The fan translation is a direct translation of the original game and common names/weapons/etc aren't in line with official localizations, but if that doesn't bother you then I recommend it.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I don't think I've ever seen Dragon Quest on the forefront of speculation until this day. Best of luck to you guys, hope you get a great rep if you do.

D

Deleted member

I don't think I've ever seen Dragon Quest on the forefront of speculation until this day. Best of luck to you guys, hope you get a great rep if you do.
I think it's one of those "no one talked about it because no one thought it was possible" things. Thanks though lol

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Just popping in from the Square thread since as you guys know I'm very much on board with Hero (or Erdrick). I just like bandwagoning in support threads. ;)

More seriously, as a dyed-in-the-wool Joker supporter I understand what it's like supporting "impossible" picks and as a massive Mother and GameCenter CX fan I have nothing but respect for Dragon Quest and its legacy, and as a Dragonball fan I would love to see a Toriyama character make it in. Hopefully this is all lining up for you guys! It's been a blast!

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
As someone that's been a fan of RPGs, and Akira Toriyama's work over the years I support Erdrick for Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Best version imo. The fan translation is a direct translation of the original game and common names/weapons/etc aren't in line with official localizations, but if that doesn't bother you then I recommend it.
There's also the Game Boy Color version, if necessary. I hear that it also used the SNES remake as a foundation.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You can play the SNES version of DQ3 if you want, it's good and unlike the smartphone version (the one I played) it has animated battle sprites, in the smartphone version the monsters are static images.

I don't feel bad about playing the smartphone version myself because it was the only way I was able to put significant time into the game with my busy schedule.

As for the Game Boy Color version, it's fine and a lot of people grew up with that version, but it can't fit too much text onscreen at once compared to the other versions, so in terms of reading everything it can feel a bit cramped.

It's... possible.
But it would be kinda clumsy and not especially true to the character.

You could say the same thing for Dark Samus, but... I kinda feel like 3rd party echoes are held to a higher standard.
Of course they could just do the "Ken" thing but I doubt it.
Also it's a bit hampered by the explicit mention of the fighter's pass not including echoes.
These are good points. Well whatever happens, I hope the Smash team knocks it out of the park.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Man, do I hope this rumor is true. A DQ rep is absolutely my most-wanted at this point, and while I'd prefer a Slime, I'd happily take Erdrick. In fact, his confirmation would make me so happy that I'd purchase the entire DLC pack in support!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wow so what did I miss? A leak? Why is everyone so confident?
Datamining has found that there is a character nicknamed "brave" in the files which can roughly translate to "hero" meaning we'll most likely get some form of DQ hero (most likely Erdrick). There is even data for the character like walk speed, jump height and such (along with Piranha Plant + Joker) and so far everything seems to be lining up in DQ's favor.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hopefully with Erdrick's inclusion we end up getting an ample amount of DQ content along with them. I was so disappointed when it turned out Cloud brought so little content from the FF series with his inclusion, let alone from FF7, so I'm crossing my fingers that the Enix side of SE won't be as stingy as Square this time.

If all the rumors regarding Erdrick are true, though, then at the very least we'll have more character representation in the form of Anlucia and Luminary as alts, which is great! Dragon Quest needs to put on a good showing like Castlevania if SE wants it to get more western attention.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hey guys I just remembered something important: if we get a DQ character we will also have to get a DQ stage.

What would the ideal DQ stage be?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey guys I just remembered something important: if we get a DQ character we will also have to get a DQ stage.

What would the ideal DQ stage be?
Well they say it's Alefgard. Which I admit has to be the most iconic location in the series.

My Guess is that the Characters would fight on top of some creature (Ramia?) Or magical moving platform, which are a thing in the series, to roam around the various locations of Alefgard.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Is there any sort of song that "encapsulates" Dragon Quest 3? Because, in all honesty, since the bulk of my DQ experience is with Fortune Street, the first direct song that pops in my head is Ghost Ship from that game, which I take to be at least the initial world map theme.

Anyway, recent events have convinced me that Erdrick is no longer a matter of if, but when: Ken tier.
Can't really go wrong with the overworld theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPApORVBSns
Or, as the lyrical version is called, Voyage of Adventure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOkY3_dEDSw

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think it's one of those "no one talked about it because no one thought it was possible" things. Thanks though lol
To me, it was more like "no one talked about it because everyone are talking about Geno and Sora".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hopefully with Erdrick's inclusion we end up getting an ample amount of DQ content along with them. I was so disappointed when it turned out Cloud brought so little content from the FF series with his inclusion, let alone from FF7, so I'm crossing my fingers that the Enix side of SE won't be as stingy as Square this time.

If all the rumors regarding Erdrick are true, though, then at the very least we'll have more character representation in the form of Anlucia and Luminary as alts, which is great! Dragon Quest needs to put on a good showing like Castlevania if SE wants it to get more western attention.
In regards to the rumoured alts, those come from an unreliable leak "source", so I wouldn't give that any stock.

If Sak did indeed manage to negotiate with every single party, having more spirits for DQ shouldn't be too much of a problem. Only thing I'm concerned about is the music; will there be both orchestral/remixes for international audiences and midi versions for the fans back at home?

To me, it was more like "no one talked about it because everyone are talking about Geno and Sora".
Like I often say on here, many character threads barely get paid attention to at all in favor of the biggest wants. This one is no different in that regard.

Well they say it's Alefgard. Which I admit has to be the most iconic location in the series.

My Guess is that the Characters would fight on top of some creature (Ramia?) Or magical moving platform, which are a thing in the series, to roam around the various locations of Alefgard.
Fitting, too, when you consider its plot relevance in DQIII. If they manage to pull off a touring stage with DLC resources, I'll be impressed.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I really hope a definitive version of DQ3 with SNES visuals, the GBC content, and Pachisi boards comes to Switch if Erdrick is in Smash. The features being divided between the re releases have kept me from completing any version of the game since I can't decide which one I want to play.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really hope a definitive version of DQ3 with SNES visuals, the GBC content, and Pachisi boards comes to Switch if Erdrick is in Smash. The features being divided between the re releases have kept me from completing any version of the game since I can't decide which one I want to play.
I loved the game so much, I've played the NES, SNES and mobile ones. Only missing the GBC version.

Unrelated. Do you guys think any of the NES Dragon Warrior games could come to Nintendo Switch Online?
I know it's pretty unlikely. But I have a feeling Square-Enix has lost the rights to Dragon Warrior name, now that they're using Quest.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I loved the game so much, I've played the NES, SNES and mobile ones. Only missing the GBC version.

Unrelated. Do you guys think any of the NES Dragon Warrior games could come to Nintendo Switch Online?
I know it's pretty unlikely. But I have a feeling Square-Enix has lost the rights to Dragon Warrior name, now that they're using Quest.
I'd be surprised if it happened, because of the name like you point out. I'd rather have Gran-Rojo's idea of a definitive edition coming out with all the versions' content in one game, but who knows if they'll do that.

I really hope they don't do it like how Square Enix did and pretty much just release the smartphone versions of Dragon Quest 1-3 on the PS4. It doesn't look optimized for a console experience at all.

It looks so damn ugly just skipping ahead in the video at different points (don't watch the whole thing since it's over 3 hours long and stuff)

If Square Enix wants Dragon Quest to succeed they need to do better than THIS if they're ever gonna re-release the older games on modern consoles.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I played DQIII for the first time a couple years back via DWIII GBC, and I loved it. It's really one of the best games in the series regardless of which version you're playing, but I do wish I wasn't aware of the game's big twist prior to playing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I played DQIII for the first time a couple years back via DWIII GBC, and I loved it. It's really one of the best games in the series regardless of which version you're playing, but I do wish I wasn't aware of the game's big twist prior to playing.
I'm used to spoilers. Back in the day as a kid, when I had/owned/borrowed NP mags I would frequently learn about game-changing events through reading them (though some strategies had the sense to hide what's coming next in some cases).

To the game's credit though, it does a really good job at convincing you that you've nearly finished it.

Honestly wish the NES entries had been put on the 3DS VC in the West, they'd only need to label them as "Dragon Quest 1/2/3/4" on the store and icon titles.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I really hope they don't do it like how Square Enix did and pretty much just release the smartphone versions of Dragon Quest 1-3 on the PS4. It doesn't look optimized for a console experience at all.
The weird thing is that the horrifying ~hi-res~ sprites aren't even from the phone versions. Those do have some changes, like new (decent) overworld sprites in DQI and DQII and the lack of animated battle sprites in DQIII, but they're otherwise basically the SNES versions with an ugly interface.

I'd like to hope that if Erdrick really is in, we'll see decent versions of I-III, and ideally IV-VI too, on Switch (and Steam?). Maybe even VII, since that got a phone port a while ago, but I feel like VIII's 3DS version is probably too new to make the jump.

D

Deleted member

Considering we have been receiving modified versions of Zelda, Metroid and other games, I wouldn't see any issue with SE changing the title for NES Online.

The weird thing is that the horrifying ~hi-res~ sprites aren't even from the phone versions. Those do have some changes, like new (decent) overworld sprites in DQI and DQII and the lack of animated battle sprites in DQIII, but they're otherwise basically the SNES versions with an ugly interface.

I'd like to hope that if Erdrick really is in, we'll see decent versions of I-III, and ideally IV-VI too, on Switch (and Steam?). Maybe even VII, since that got a phone port a while ago, but I feel like VIII's 3DS version is probably too new to make the jump.
Maybe its wishful thinking, but hopefully we would get at least the Wii release of I-III here.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe its wishful thinking, but hopefully we would get at least the Wii release of I-III here.
Last I checked it’s 2019, not 2009.

I wish the original Wii had Dragon Warrior 1-4 for the Virtual Console.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Well guys, this thread has convinced me to try out Dragon Quest! I picked up V because I heard its the best introduction, but I will certainly get III later if I enjoy V! Thanks for the recommendations!

D

Deleted member

Last I checked it’s 2019, not 2009.

I wish the original Wii had Dragon Warrior 1-4 for the Virtual Console.
LOL, my bad. Was referring to have that version on Switch here, seemed quite complete.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
As a longtime Dragon Quest fan who's been keeping up with the leaks, I gotta say I'm excited that there's any Dragon Quest content coming to Smash Bros. I'm confident in Sakurai that he'll make Erdrick a solid character to play as that will stand out from other sword users/JRPG protags. Hopefully Slime appears in his moveset at some point, and that the Enix part of SE is a lot more tolerant on the idea of spirits.

Also new here, first post.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well guys, this thread has convinced me to try out Dragon Quest! I picked up V because I heard its the best introduction, but I will certainly get III later if I enjoy V! Thanks for the recommendations!
V is not a bad place to start at all! I hope it's the DS version, you can pick my fave gal in that one.

As a longtime Dragon Quest fan who's been keeping up with the leaks, I gotta say I'm excited that there's any Dragon Quest content coming to Smash Bros. I'm confident in Sakurai that he'll make Erdrick a solid character to play as that will stand out from other sword users/JRPG protags. Hopefully Slime appears in his moveset at some point, and that the Enix part of SE is a lot more tolerant on the idea of spirits.

Also new here, first post.
Yeah, it'd be nice to see him sic a monster or two, as a nod to the SMT/Pokémon-esque spin-off. It could even make people okay with the idea of small mascots being partner moves for this time.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
That pic malpic makes me so happy. I really hope it came true.

Doom, Ninja Gaiden, and of course DQ are huge in my life.
And by association, I like Steve. Plus I've always wanted to give MC a chance.
I started Playing Dragon Quest 3 today.
And i already love the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom