• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hero and Banjo Are Coming to Smash

Hero_and_Banjo.jpg

On June 11th, 2019, Nintendo showed off some of the Switch’s big upcoming releases in their E3 Direct. With big names such as Animal Crossing and the highly anticipated Astral Chain on display, the show announced game after game for a full hour.

The Direct began with the announcement of The Hero from Dragon Quest coming to Smash as the second DLC character.The Hero’s default skin is his Dragon Quest 11 appearance, while his alternate costumes consist of the protagonists of Dragon Quest 3, Dragon Quest 4 and Dragon Quest 8. His final smash calls the power from every hero in the series together for a powerful slash! His release date is set to be sometime this summer.

At the end of the Direct, Nintendo announced the third DLC character to the game: the highly requested Banjo and Kazooie from the series, Banjo Kazooie. Banjo and Kazooie will team up, arriving later of fall this year.

Were your guesses right? Excited for these two characters? Let us know!

Madda

Comments

Ok but can we talk about the fact that we practically got a World of Light extension sort of

Applying the dark (and possibly light) auras to any character of your choice, you can like imagine alternate interpretations of WoL’s events to your liking and I think that’s neat

We’ll learn more about it when it drops obviously, but at least I don’t have to play through WoL countless times just to set up certain snapshots anymore

It's crazy how I didn't want a DQ rep beforehand and now I'm excited about their inclusion. Their move sets weren't even all that interesting to me either, but that cinematic trailer certainly got me in the mood to try them out.

I'm sadly not particularly hyped about Banjo's inclusion or moveset, but seeing the reactions to his reveal did put a smile on my face. From what I've seen I don't think I'll be a fan of his moveset, but I'll still try him out to see if he clicks.

D
It honestly feels like I'm one of the very few who is excited for The Hero. This Banjo bias is making me less hyped for him.

well im sure the dragon ball, er dragon quest fans will be happy to see android 17 er the hero and im dead hyped for banjo and kazooie, ended up buying the whole fighters pass out of sheer excitement

D
Eight from DQ8 was my most wanted alongside Crash Bandicoot, so having him finally in made me of course excited as freaking hell.
Gonna try to pick him the exact day he is released if the eShop is working well.

Regarding Banjo: I never played a Banjo game, but I do want to get into the series. Hopefully this Smash addition helps me learn more about the universe of the Spiral Mountain duo and makes a new game on Switch likely in the future.

Eight from DQ8 was my most wanted alongside Crash Bandicoot, so having him finally in made me of course excited as freaking hell.
Gonna try to pick him the exact day he is released if the eShop is working well.

Regarding Banjo: I never played a Banjo game, but I do want to get into the series. Hopefully this Smash addition helps me learn more about the universe of the Spiral Mountain duo and makes a new game on Switch likely in the future.
Trust me, dude, if you give at least Banjo-Kazooie a chance, I think you'll be surprised by how well it holds up and especially how charming it is. And if you want something a bit grander and more epic, surprisingly the sequel Banjo-Tooie added a TON of story, gameplay elements, and characters to it.

As for me, I've never played a Dragon Quest game in my life, but I'm SUPER excited like you to learn more about their universe myself and see what makes their games so important to JRPGs. I'm so excited and happy for both the Hero and Banjo-Kazooie fans and excited to see how they play and fit in Smash Bros.

Last edited:
Personally, I was excited for both Banjo and the Hero. But I kinda liked the Hero more over Banjo, what with the various spells and the MP gimmick, as it brings a unique aspect that doesnt just make them into another sword fighter. I'm happy for the people in Japan who wanted this character in.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm not also excited for Banjo & Kazooie. Sure, I never played any of the games, but I know Banjo is a huge gaming icon, and was one of the most requested characters since around the Smash 64 days, when Sakurai created a poll asking people if there was a Smash 2, what characters would they want, being one of the votes. The smash model of Banjo looks amazing, his moves being like that from the Banjo & Kazooie games, so I'm also happy for everyone who wanted this bear and bird duo.

All-in-all, these two will make excellent additions to the Smash Bros. roster.

Ok but can we talk about the fact that we practically got a World of Light extension sort of

Applying the dark (and possibly light) auras to any character of your choice, you can like imagine alternate interpretations of WoL’s events to your liking and I think that’s neat

We’ll learn more about it when it drops obviously, but at least I don’t have to play through WoL countless times just to set up certain snapshots anymore
..What are you talking about?

I think they're referring to the gameplay portion of the Hero reveal trailer. The part where the Luminary gets wrecked by the shadow fighters.
I got that part..but I meant that they seemed to think that something new for World of Light/Possessed Fighters were being added to the game..at least thats how it read to me.

I got that part..but I meant that they seemed to think that something new for World of Light/Possessed Fighters were being added to the game..at least thats how it read to me.
In the gameplay portion, characters that don’t have the dark aura in WoL, like Snake and Fox, have it. There’s also the fact there’s more than one, and on different stages than their actual fights in WoL.

I imagine we’d also get the light blue aura and be able to apply it to fighters that don’t have it in WoL proper like say Wolf or Sonic. The whole aspect seems customizable

Last edited:
In the gameplay portion, characters that don’t have the dark aura in WoL, like Snake and Fox, have it. There’s also the fact there’s more than one, and on different stages than their actual fights in WoL.

I imagine we’d also get the light blue aura and be able to apply it to fighters that don’t have it in WoL proper like say Wolf or Sonic. The whole aspect seems customizable
I think that was just done for the trailer. Since they're making the game, they could of course apply the effect to the in-game fighters to match the CGI trailers.
I doubt that they'd let us apply effects like that to fighters..it seems like a rather strange feature to add.
Its possible, but I definitely wouldn't read too much into it.

Top Bottom