• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heck's With your Gordos?

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Heyo, Zelda main here. I'm slowly learning the DeDeDe matchup and I believe I mostly have the tools to succeed against him. There's just two things holding me back.
One of them is just that your Fsmash comes out faster than I think it does and just clobbahs me a lot, an issue that will probably go away with time.

The other is your Gordos, specifically how you guys throw them. It seems that every time y'all side-b the Gordo you throw has a different speed and angle than the last one, making it hard to time my options knocking it back, well aside from Nayru's Love but there's a lot of endlag on that and y'all have a dash attack that I gotta respect. Any tips on avoiding spiked balls that got lost on the way to a Rare game would be appreciated.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
DDD has at least three ways of tossing his Gordos based on stick input. (Apparently there are even some slight variations to these if the C-stick is used.) Just remember that you can deflect Gordos with almost anything. Din's Fire, Phantom, and (I think) fair are good Gordo counters for Zelda.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Fair is a bit of a mixed bag for Gordo shooting. If I sweet spot that bad boy is gonna FLY. If I sour spot, well that does 4% so rip. Phantom is GREAT for Gordos, it's just again the timing is a bit of a thing because of the different ways of tossing them.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Be careful of the Gordos when you’re near the ledge. The stationary bouncing Gordo isn’t what you should be worried about. It’s Dedede. If spaced correctly, one can beat your a) roll in option with a D-Smash, b) your regular,art get up options with a F-smash (never shield against thus option lest ye looking for a shield break), and your jump option with a fair. But that’s basic.

Your best bet is waiting for that Gordo to disappear.

Make sure to spice up your get up options.

Also, I hate Zelda.

stardaboi

Smash Rookie
Heyo, Zelda main here. I'm slowly learning the DeDeDe matchup and I believe I mostly have the tools to succeed against him. There's just two things holding me back.
One of them is just that your Fsmash comes out faster than I think it does and just clobbahs me a lot, an issue that will probably go away with time.

The other is your Gordos, specifically how you guys throw them. It seems that every time y'all side-b the Gordo you throw has a different speed and angle than the last one, making it hard to time my options knocking it back, well aside from Nayru's Love but there's a lot of endlag on that and y'all have a dash attack that I gotta respect. Any tips on avoiding spiked balls that got lost on the way to a Rare game would be appreciated.
"Dedede's f-smash" and "fast" are two words (or three i guess idk) that should never be used in the same sentence together.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There are nine gordo angles:
Normal up
Normal forward
Normal down

Smash up
Smash forward
Smash down

C-stick up (most useful)
C-stick forward
C-stick down

The difference between Normal and Smash gordos are the way you push the l-stick when angling (hold it in the direction while throwing tog et the Smashed angle, which are slightly more dramatic). C-stick gordos ignore the l-stick and angle with the c-stick. D3stiny did a video on this.

Simply throwing out gordos can be useful if your opponent is off guard but do it too much and your opponent will start to read them and launch them back at you. Their best use is to provide offstage pressure and ledge trap.

Top Bottom