• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heart of Talys - Caeda for Smash

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

image.jpeg

Caeda Flies In!
​

Who is Caeda?

Caeda is an important character from the Archanea saga of the Fire Emblem franchise. She appears as a major character in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, as well as their respective remakes, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. As far as non-canon appearances, she also appears as a playable character in Fire Emblem Warriors, a playable summonable hero in Fire Emblem Heroes, an Einherjar unit in Fire Emblem Awakening, and as one of the few playable Fire Emblem mirages in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

Caeda is the princess of the island nation of Talys. After Marth's home nation of Altea is usurped by the combined forces of Gra and Dohlr, Marth and his few remaining allies flee to Talys due to its healthy political ties with Altea. There, Marth hones his fighting skills to prepare to take back Altea. He also meets Caeda, and the two become close incredibly quickly.

Caeda is a Pegasus Knight, an iconic Fire Emblem class, and was the first playable Pegasus Knight in the franchise. Pegasus Knights are characterized by having fantastic mobility (being able to cover a lot of ground and not worry about terrain), very high speed (Caeda in particular is so fast that it's not uncommon that she caps her speed stat prior to promotion), high resistance to magic, low physical defense, and a crippling weakness to arrows.

As for her role in the story, Caeda is incredibly important to the Archanea saga. In Shadow Dragon, in order to recruit certain allies, a specific unit may need to speak with them. Usually, this is Marth, who is used to recruit most recruitable characters. Certain other characters can be used to recruit one specific ally. Merric can recruit Wendell, Lena can recruit Matthis, and Bantu can recruit Tiki, for example. Caeda, however, is able to recruit a total of five characters, Castor, Navarre, Roger, Jake, and Lorenz (though Marth also has the option to recruit Lorenz). This makes her the only character other than Marth responsible for multiple recruitments. As well, Caeda is Marth's betrothed, with the two of them marrying after the events of New Mystery of the Emblem.

In combat, Caeda is a very versatile unit, especially in Shadow Dragon. Her signature weapon, the Wing Spear, allows her to do effective damage against heavily armored enemies and enemies on horseback, which together make up the bulk of the enemy units in Shadow Dragon. This alone makes her inarguably the best combat unit in all of Shadow Dragon, acting as a delete button for almost any enemy one may have trouble dealing with.

As for her personality, Caeda is kind but quick-witted. Like Marth, she cares deeply for her allies, but she also isn't afraid to get her hands dirty when necessary. Guileful and pragmatic, possessing a natural charm and a silver tongue, Caeda has shown that she's not above manipulating her enemies to get them to throw down their arms. At the end of the day, however, she shares Marth's wish to bring the war to a close so that peace may one day again reign supreme.

What could she do in Smash?
Caeda would be the first Smash fighter to fight while riding a mount (in this case, her pegasus). Due to this, she is one of the largest fighters in the game. Her pegasus stands at right about Bowser's height, which is slightly shorter than Fire Emblem's mounts usually are, but is just fine for Smash. The wings of the pegasus are also slightly downsized, but not to a ridiculous degree.

For those concerned about potentially having a character with canonically unlimited flight, I feel the need to point out that in Fire Emblem, Pegasus Knights do not have unlimited flight. This is shown by the fact that despite it being higher than most other classes, there still exists a cap for movement on a Pegasus Knight. Not to mention that in more recent games, their mounts are often shown landing after combat.
As far as ledge mechanics, which can become awkward with mounted characters, Caeda herself grabs the ledge while her pegasus flies next to her, off on the z-axis where it no longer counts as a hit box. Caeda's get-up attack, ledge jump, and ledge roll animations all feature her remounting her pegasus during the attack, making the transition seamlessly fluid.
Caeda has the highest air speed in the game due to speed being her best stat by far in her own game. In addition, she has a minor added gimmick similar to Bowser Jr.'s. Energy-based projectiles (such as Robin's Thoron) will have their damage greatly reduced when striking Caeda, but physical projectiles (like Link's arrows) will do more damage than normal, referencing Caeda's incredibly high Resistance and low Defense, in addition to the Pegasus Knight class's arrow weakness by proxy.

As for the rest of the moveset, here it is!
Jab: Caeda strikes twice with her spear and then twirls it.
Dash Attack: Caeda performs an aerial corkscrew into the opponent.
Side Tilt: Caeda swings the Wing Spear downward from overhead.
Up Tilt: Caeda's pegasus bumps her upward off its back while she holds her spear skyward.
Down Tilt: Caeda's pegasus flaps its wings downward, with each up and down movement causing minor damage.

Side Smash: Caeda's pegasus charges forward with Caeda's Wing Spear held outward.
Up Smash: Caeda's pegasus faces toward the screen and bucks its back legs upward.
Down Smash: Caeda's pegasus rears up and stomps its hooves, bringing down its wings for a two-part smash attack.

Neutral Aerial: Caeda's pegasus does a quick midair somersault, doing minor damage.
Forward Aerial: Caeda lunges forward with her Wing Spear, doing heavy damage.
Back Aerial: Caeda turns her pegasus around to strike the opponent with a backhanded spear attack.
Up Aerial: Caeda raises her lance and twirls it in a helicopter spin. A multihit move.
Down Aerial: Caeda's pegasus kicks its hooves downwards, potentially causing a meteor effect.

Grab and Pummel: Caeda's pegasus bites onto the opponent while Caeda strikes them with her Wing Spear for a pummel.
Forward Throw: Caeda's pegasus charges into them, sending them flying.
Back Throw: Caeda whistles, making her pegasus swing its head, tossing the foe backward before bucking them with its back hooves.
Up Throw: Caeda scoops the foe up with her Wing Spear and stabs them as they're sent skyward.
Down Throw: Caeda's pegasus "counts" on the foe several times before stomping on them.

Neutral Special: Armorcrusher - In Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem, Caeda was given a signature weapon, the Wing Spear. Like the rapier, this was effective against heavily armored units and units on horseback. In Smash, this translates to her Neutral Special. In this chargeable attack, Caeda's pegasus flies backwards into the air, preparing to charge, before rushing forward and downward with Caeda's Wing Spear extended. This not only does heavy shield damage, but it also breaks through any enemy super armor when fully charged. However, the charging animation leaves Caeda vulnerable to attack. This move is named after a lance skill from Shadows of Valentia.

Side Special: Tempest Lance - Based on a skill for the Steel Lance from Shadows of Valentia, this attack involves Caeda drawing her lance and holding it outward. From its tip shoot a gust of razor wind similar to Mega Man's Air Shooter. A multihit projectile that travels horizontally with a maximum range of roughly the length of half of Final Destination. Like Greninja's Water Shuriken, it carries the opponent within it until it reaches its maximum range.

Up Special: Wings of Talys - This move has Caeda's pegasus perform a rising corkscrew attack before then gliding diagonally downward in the direction Caeda is facing. A simple recovery that can also be used as an attack.

Down Special: Hit and Run - Once again, this is named after a lance skill found in a Shadows of Valentia, though it is also a very common skill for flying units in Fire Emblem Heroes. In this attack, Caeda does a quick burst maneuver in which her pegasus flies at the opponent before making an immediate u-turn. This makes it an effective get-off-me tool on land. In the air, however, this attack gains a minor homing effect and can double as an offensive horizontal recovery. She will strike the foe before rushing back in the direction she came from, making this quite a potent edge guarding tool, further establishing Caeda's aerial dominance.

Final Smash: Queen of the Skies - Caeda breaks open the Smash Ball and is then capable of free, uninterrupted flight. She can charge into her foes for damage, similar to Super Sonic, but she can also toss spears toward the ground beneath her with the the attack button. Caeda also is much more durable while this move is being performed. After a set amount of time, the move ends.

Entrance Animation:
Caeda flies in on her pegasus as it rears up and whinnies.

Taunts:
Up Taunt: Caeda raises her lance and says "Throw down your weapon!"
Side Taunt: Caeda pets the head of her pegasus as it whinnies.
Down Taunt: Caeda tosses her hair back and says "What a shame."

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: Caeda flies in on her pegasus and says "A lovely battle."
Victory 2: Caeda brushes her pegasus as a small bird lands on her finger.
Victory 3: Caeda leaps from her pegasus and twirls her Wing Spear, saying "Don't underestimate me!"

Victory VS Marth: Victory Pose 3, except she says "I hope I didn't hurt you too badly" before smiling.

Caeda, while obviously unlikely, isn't without merit or importance, and could offer a fighting style unlike anything else in Smash.

Supporters:
Opossum
Pokechu
ShinyLegendary
Mythra
MacDaddyNook
Sanae
DeltaSceptile
Luminario
SEGAGameBoy
Frizz

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
IT'S MY HOMEGIRL!!! My RIDE OR DIE!!!!

support

D

Deleted member

When someone Caeda thread, they will like it I hope.

Support, because I am crazy and why not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Gotta support the staple of my flier team :denzel:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Count me in; Mario's got Peach and Link has Zelda, Marth can have his girl too. The pegasus would really make her stand out though and lacking a sword helps too.

D

Deleted member

I support her. I always liked her and I think she will stand out.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I've only ever experienced her character through Warriors, but she's fantastic and I'd love to her her in Smash.
Having a character eternally mounted might pose a problem though. She could only use her pegasus in specials and her final smash.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Another Fire Emblem character, huh? I support! We don't have that many Fire Emblem characters. LOL /sarcasm

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So let's have a hypothetical.

If Caeda got in, how would you want her reveal trailer to go?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
This is just from the top of my head, so there could be better reveal trailers for her, but how about something like the Lovebirds cutscene from Awakening? Marth could be in imminent danger from projectiles like from Samus's Charge Shot, Link's arrows, or Robin's Thoron spell, and then Caeda swoops in on her pegasus and gets Marth out of danger. They talk for a bit, she lands, Marth gets off, the camera zooms in on her, and she says something. It'd be a direct reference to the game about their descendant and the relationship he has with a certain pegasus knight.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention. Put me in the supporter's list. :p

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is just from the top of my head, so there could be better reveal trailers for her, but how about something like the Lovebirds cutscene from Awakening? Marth could be in imminent danger from projectiles like from Samus's Charge Shot, Link's arrows, or Robin's Thoron spell, and then Caeda swoops in on her pegasus and gets Marth out of danger. They talk for a bit, she lands, Marth gets off, the camera zooms in on her, and she says something. It'd be a direct reference to the game about their descendant and the relationship he has with a certain pegasus knight.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention. Put me in the supporter's list. :p
That honestly makes a lot of sense, haha. I imagine the gameplay montage would contain some back and forth between her and Marth, like with the Robin and Lucina trailer.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Caeda hit an ADORABLE alt of her younger self in FEH! So now, i support for any future game! I even made a Classic Mode for her:

Caeda: Together, We Fly! (Fights against characters who fly, ost of which are associated with wings; every battle is a team battle w/Marth. You might like this one, Opossum Opossum )
Stage 1: :ultcharizard:on :castlesiege: (Shadow Dragon Medley)
Stage 2: :ultpit::ultdarkpit:on :skyworld: (Underworld)
Stage 3: Giant Metal :ultpalutena: on Great Bay (With Mila’s Divine Protection (Celica Map 1))
Stage 4: :ultmetaknight:x7 (horde battle) on :halberd: (Air Man Stage)
Stage 5: Giant :ultridley: on Dracula’s Castle (Lords-Showdown)
Boss: Rathalos (Fated Battle)
Stage 7: :ultmario:(wedding alt):ultpeach:(white alt); Giant:ultbowser:(white alt) on Rainbow Cruise (Victory is Near)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What's stage 7 meant to reference?
You know the wedding plot line in Super Mario Odyssey? In the very first Fire Emblem game and its remake, Marth and Caeda declare their love for one another if Caeda is successfully kept alive by the end of the game.

Stage 7 is meant to reference both of those. I included Rainbow Cruise to reference Bowser’s wedding airship from Odyssey.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
You know the wedding plot line in Super Mario Odyssey? In the very first Fire Emblem game and its remake, Marth and Caeda declare their love for one another if Caeda is successfully kept alive by the end of the game.

Stage 7 is meant to reference both of those. I included Rainbow Cruise to reference Bowser’s wedding airship from Odyssey.
I had a hunch it had something to do with that.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Aside from Marth, any win quotes for Caeda to other Fire Emblem characters?

D

Deleted member

Should all Fire Emblem characters have battle damage like the one found in Fire Emblem Heroes? BtlFace_D_11.png

Top Bottom