• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Nothing says the revival of a Smash Speculation era than checking the site for the first time of the day and seeing 16 alerts across the forums you've visited - this one included. Although I don't think I'll be contributing to the boards that much in these early days of the Smash Switch era, since I've got quite a number of university commitments to deal with.

That said - I'm still holding out that we get to see Takamaru get promoted to playable and fight along the cast as a retro hero.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Hey guys! I've been absent for awhile due to school and working on my own games, but I've always got time for our boy!

Let's go!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey guys! I've been absent for awhile due to school and working on my own games, but I've always got time for our boy!

Let's go!
Oh, I can completely understand school and stuff. I had all of that under my belt until I graduated last year.

Though I've got to say that's a beautiful illustration you had made. Mind if I add that to the main OP?

Glad to see you back though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Let's go!
Now THIS is beautiful.

I could tell you put a lot of work into this. It's as if he seems serious about this game being his time.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And there we go. I've placed it right under the swordsman explanation and the moveset.

I feel it's a pretty good spot just to hype those who want to see what playstyle he would bring.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Smashing right back into action, it's about time.

Takamaru is still my choice for a retro rep, and with the AT and costume he got last time, I think he's ready for the Mac treatment.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Smashing right back into action, it's about time.

Takamaru is still my choice for a retro rep, and with the AT and costume he got last time, I think he's ready for the Mac treatment.
My apologizes for the late reply, but welcome back old friend. Glad to see you in good mood about Taka this time around.

And with the Inklings making a jump from a costume, we can hope the same happens for him.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Thanks to his game having an official release in the West, and him having even more exposure thanks to his assist trophy role in the last Smash Bros., this might finally be Takamaru's time to shine.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m glad to see some of the old crew is heading back. Good to see all you guys. I won’t be able poke around as much as I used to being a mod and all, but I will always hold Takamaru as one of my most wanted and this support thread as one of my favorites. Good to see you all again!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I’m glad to see some of the old crew is heading back. Good to see all you guys. I won’t be able poke around as much as I used to being a mod and all, but I will always hold Takamaru as one of my most wanted and this support thread as one of my favorites. Good to see you all again!
That's alright, you have your duties after all. But you will always be remembered as an honorable ronin of our clan.

Like you, I too am happy to see the old gang again. Just wonder if we will get any new faces like last time.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Anyone else noticing in places all over the net that Takamaru is enjoying a really healthy bit of optimism and popping up on wanted lists more often? This is so cool to me coming from those pre-Brawl era basements full of like a handful of people talking about him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anyone else noticing in places all over the net that Takamaru is enjoying a really healthy bit of optimism and popping up on wanted lists more often? This is so cool to me coming from those pre-Brawl era basements full of like a handful of people talking about him.
Wait, wait what?

More people see Takamaru as likely? Where? Here or elsewhere?

Either way, I am glad that there is more discussion for him going.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait, wait what?

More people see Takamaru as likely? Where? Here or elsewhere?

Either way, I am glad that there is more discussion for him going.
From Twitter, it seems he is on a lot of rosters and people mentioned him as a worthy Smash newcomer.

I would check Gamefaqs too, but they seem to hate their swordsmen.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
From Twitter, it seems he is on a lot of rosters and people mentioned him as a worthy Smash newcomer.

I would check Gamefaqs too, but they seem to hate their swordsmen.
I see what you mean. All those mentions of him on Twitter, even more than it was for pre-Smash 4. This is great, I see what BK meant and I think I found ThatShadowLink's account too.

Also found this.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Make me want to get off my butt and draw Takamaru for once. Though I struggle with any clothing in general.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
It's not hard to find me on twitter or any other place. I go by some form of "Shadow Link" almost everywhere lol

Anyway, I think optimism among Taka fans might have to do with Sakurai saying he was almost picked for the last game. I hope he does actually get picked this time. He's been short-changed twice already as far as we know! No longer!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's not hard to find me on twitter or any other place. I go by some form of "Shadow Link" almost everywhere lol

Anyway, I think optimism among Taka fans might have to do with Sakurai saying he was almost picked for the last game. I hope he does actually get picked this time. He's been short-changed twice already as far as we know! No longer!
That's right, thinsg are looking better for Takamaru these days.

All he needs is just the final word from Sakurai himself if he did look back at him and the somewhat loud backlash on the Japanese Miiverse.

Calane

Smash Ace
You know, given that Sakurai was super close to adding Takamaru last time but didn't due to him being too obscure (an issue I no longer think really exists for the samurai), it's very likely that he would've considered him again for this new game. I mean think about it, Takamaru was given a remix, a trophy, an assist trophy, and a Mii costume last time. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that any other assist trophy (well, except Ashley) received all that. That's a lot of attention for a character who wasn't playable, so I think it's safe to say that Sakurai wants to do it. Since the reason he passed Takamaru over last time is pretty much resolved, and assuming that he's still as interested in the character as before, I'd say that things a looking pretty good right now.

The more I think about it, the more hopeful I get, and that's probably a bad thing. Really gotta keep my expectations in check.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know, given that Sakurai was super close to adding Takamaru last time but didn't due to him being too obscure (an issue I no longer think really exists for the samurai), it's very likely that he would've considered him again for this new game. I mean think about it, Takamaru was given a remix, a trophy, an assist trophy, and a Mii costume last time. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that any other assist trophy (well, except Ashley) received all that. That's a lot of attention for a character who wasn't playable, so I think it's safe to say that Sakurai wants to do it. Since the reason he passed Takamaru over last time is pretty much resolved, and assuming that he's still as interested in the character as before, I'd say that things a looking pretty good right now.

The more I think about it, the more hopeful I get, and that's probably a bad thing. Really gotta keep my expectations in check.
Hope is a good thing, but only in small doses.

Though you may be on to something, he did receive so much for a character that was decided against because he was Japan-only (formerly). I came with low expectations on the Assist Trophy being the only acknowledgement that Takamaru would get, then came the Murasame Castle Medley and the Mii Fighter costume. That was awfully generous of Sakurai for a character he thought would be too unfamiliar to Western audiences.

I'm cautiously optimistic and just want to know more about what the Assist Trophies are for the game.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Hope is a good thing, but only in small doses.

Though you may be on to something, he did receive so much for a character that was decided against because he was Japan-only (formerly). I came with low expectations on the Assist Trophy being the only acknowledgement that Takamaru would get, then came the Murasame Castle Medley and the Mii Fighter costume. That was awfully generous of Sakurai for a character he thought would be too unfamiliar to Western audiences.

I'm cautiously optimistic and just want to know more about what the Assist Trophies are for the game.
Yeah, it's something to think about at least. All we can do now is wait for more information and hope for the best, I guess.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Gimme that sweet sweet rapid-fire parry swordplay, and deflecting enemy projectiles with a barrage of my own. If any character could handle something like Fox's lasers while barely breaking a sweat it'd be Takamaru.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I still just love the idea of the character having a lot of up close sword draw normals/tilts/smash attacks and his B moves all be various projectiles or his scrolls. Would be the perfect way of interpreting his Famicom game play in the context of Smash Bros. I made a move set last time around that I think is still in the OP but I kinda want to see if it can be refined.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think a way to make Takamaru unique would be delayed-damage attacks that can stack. For example, if you perform a combo on Donkey Kong with say, jab, side-tilt, side-air, down-air, side-tilt then side-smash, the opponent wouldn't feel a thing for a moment. DK would then start winding up a Giant Punch before BOOM! The damage sets in and DK is sent flying!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think a way to make Takamaru unique would be delayed-damage attacks that can stack. For example, if you perform a combo on Donkey Kong with say, jab, side-tilt, side-air, down-air, side-tilt then side-smash, the opponent wouldn't feel a thing for a moment. DK would then start winding up a Giant Punch before BOOM! The damage sets in and DK is sent flying!
Now that is a cool idea. Some delayed damage from his attacks would make for a cool touch, being a common cliche in samurai flicks.

Gimme that sweet sweet rapid-fire parry swordplay, and deflecting enemy projectiles with a barrage of my own. If any character could handle something like Fox's lasers while barely breaking a sweat it'd be Takamaru.
True, we can never forget that The Mysterious Murasame Castle forces you to spam projectiles for the entire game. So that's another element that Takamaru needs in Smash to make him more than just a swordsman.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Seeing this made me think of Takamaru so I thought I'd share it.
Definitely would love to see him in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that looks awesome.

I can picture that as a perfect idea of how he would work visually.

And welcome to the clan, Baskerville.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was reading that "definitive" list of unused characters and apparently he was "considered" a lot of Smash games but Sakurai has always seen his popularity as one of the major issues. So unless he balled hard in the ballot, I doubt we will ever see him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I was reading that "definitive" list of unused characters and apparently he was "considered" a lot of Smash games but Sakurai has always seen his popularity as one of the major issues. So unless he balled hard in the ballot, I doubt we will ever see him.
In general, it would definitely have to be how he isn't that known in the West.

Compare the reactions to his Assist Trophy confirmation in both sides. The West was 25% "He would had been cool" to 25% "Who?" to 50% "At least we didn't get another swordsman". While in Japan, most reactions were pretty much angry. It's been a while, but I believe @MasterMushroom who could read Japanese saw the reactions on both Sakurai's Twitter and Miiverse.

So it's more or less Sakurai needed to be convinced that enough people in the West would be familiar with him before he's a fighter. We already have his game in the West, that's a start. Niche, but at least enough people in the West know where he came from.

Morbi

Scavenger
In general, it would definitely have to be how he isn't that known in the West.

Compare the reactions to his Assist Trophy confirmation in both sides. The West was 25% "He would had been cool" to 25% "Who?" to 50% "At least we didn't get another swordsman". While in Japan, most reactions were pretty much angry. It's been a while, but I believe @MasterMushroom who could read Japanese saw the reactions on both Sakurai's Twitter and Miiverse.

So it's more or less Sakurai needed to be convinced that enough people in the West would be familiar with him before he's a fighter. We already have his game in the West, that's a start. Niche, but at least enough people in the West know where he came from.
Honestly, I do not even understand Sakurai's argument. An appearance in Smash WOULD make the west familiar with him. Just as it did for Fire Emblem. I guess perhaps that is why he made him an assist trophy? It is definitely possible.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Honestly, I do not even understand Sakurai's argument. An appearance in Smash WOULD make the west familiar with him. Just as it did for Fire Emblem. I guess perhaps that is why he made him an assist trophy? It is definitely possible.
We could at least come to that inclusion. That Assist Trophy would had helped made him more known instead of taking the risk to add a (former) Japan only character like Lucas all over again. I could imagine reactions like "Who the **** is this weeaboo trash? We want Snake!" or "Yay, we now have Disco Marth, who's 50% more Japanese".

I'd say he really played it safe. He did go through all the trouble of getting Tomokazu Sugita (The same man that voices many roles like Gintoki, Charlotte Katakuri, etc) to be the voice of him and had an interview with him of all Smash VA's. If anything, I'd say Takamaru is set with a good VA to reprise his role. Not that his Samurai Warriors 3 VA was bad.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
There are a lot of Twitter accounts out there with inside looks at people doing choreography or just practicing iai styled combat with katanas that I'd love to just drop in here every now and again. It's so visually distinct despite being a sword play style. There's no way a character packing that and his own collection of unique power ups and projectiles wouldn't be an easy sell to people.

Edit: For example, @Tenshinryu is a fun twitter feed to go through:

Wish I could find a more iaido/iaijutsu type of feed.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
There are a lot of Twitter accounts out there with inside looks at people doing choreography or just practicing iai styled combat with katanas that I'd love to just drop in here every now and again. It's so visually distinct despite being a sword play style. There's no way a character packing that and his own collection of unique power ups and projectiles wouldn't be an easy sell to people.

Edit: For example, @Tenshinryu is a fun twitter feed to go through:

Wish I could find a more iaido/iaijutsu type of feed.
Very nice, another perfect example of the ancient art of iajustuy. That's the type of style Takamaru would bring, other than also being over the top with his projectiles.

Are we missing any other key supporters?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Very nice, another perfect example of the ancient art of iajustuy. That's the type of style Takamaru would bring, other than also being over the top with his projectiles.

Are we missing any other key supporters?
Two off the top of my head is @Fatmanonice and @Marakatu. And @Ixbran too.

Though we have far more old ronins I could try recruiting that are in out old group.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'm never played The Mysterious Murasame Castle myself, but I've seen gameplay, and Takamaru looks like he'd be a cool retro rep for Smash Bros. Throw my support in the ring, and let's hope this Samurai gets the Little Mac treatment.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Do drop me in aboard as well~ Been kind of wishing for him back around Pre-SSB4 days mainly, but had bit become quiet about it since. I definitely think he needs to be there to round up the 1986 Action Hero Quartet:

:4link::4pit::4samus:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Both of you are added. Welcome to the Ronin Clan

Do drop me in aboard as well~ Been kind of wishing for him back around Pre-SSB4 days mainly, but had bit become quiet about it since. I definitely think he needs to be there to round up the 1986 Action Hero Quartet:

:4link::4pit::4samus:
Hell yeah, that's kid of what most of our wish is.

Wouldn't it be cool to see Takamaru having a real reunion with Pit, Link, and Samus. And I don't mean a certain Picture of the Day, but him taking them on in a fight.

I would be crying tears of joy if that were to happen.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Hey guys, wanna bring up a topic. What composer would you have do tracks for Murasame Castle? I'd really like Hideyuki Fukasawa, from his work on Onimusha and the anime Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto (that's a mouthful), he'd be perfect.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Hey guys, wanna bring up a topic. What composer would you have do tracks for Murasame Castle? I'd really like Hideyuki Fukasawa, from his work on Onimusha and the anime Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto (that's a mouthful), he'd be perfect.
I don't know. I guess I'd probably go with Yasunori Mitsuda.

Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan I still want our samurai in and you can keep me as a supporter of Takamaru.

Top Bottom