• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
First Smashboards post in what feels like ages (and probably has been all things considered).

I have a Takamaru moveset, or more accurately had one. I'll have to remake it, it was on my old phone, the Notes app for which was wiped when I upgraded.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
First Smashboards post in what feels like ages (and probably has been all things considered).

I have a Takamaru moveset, or more accurately had one. I'll have to remake it, it was on my old phone, the Notes app for which was wiped when I upgraded.
Ouch, sorry to hear that. It must have been a pretty detailed moveset too.

Though if you are up to remaking it, go right ahead.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I might sound like a hypocrite, but this old ronin had finally faltered. It's been a long rough road sticking up for a samurai that took years to cross the sea to the West. We've defended long, we've fought hard, and we've faced humiliation.

Anyone can feel free to run this thread. But I feel that I can trust NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy the most since he's the most dedicated here. Remember to live your lives by the sword, because this ronin is traveling solo away from the boards.

Arigato.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I might sound like a hypocrite, but this old ronin had finally faltered. It's been a long rough road sticking up for a samurai that took years to cross the sea to the West. We've defended long, we've fought hard, and we've faced humiliation.

Anyone can feel free to run this thread. But I feel that I can trust NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy the most since he's the most dedicated here. Remember to live your lives by the sword, because this ronin is traveling solo away from the boards.

Arigato.
You're leaving us? :(

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Arigato.
Sorry to hear that you're leaving us but if it's best for you then it's best for you. Stay strong, Ronin. Arigato.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You're giving up just like that?

Why? This samurai was your passion and you are leaving now? Something's not right.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You're leaving us? :(
Not anymore. Someone made me open my eyes and I figured that it would be unfair to leave so soon.

So the Grand Ronin shall stand his ground.

Sorry to hear that you're leaving us but if it's best for you then it's best for you. Stay strong, Ronin. Arigato.
I'm staying strong alright, staying here until the day he's in Smash.

I'm not going nowhere friend since I realize that it would be bad to leave my legacy behind.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Since I've covered some characters so far for their fans, here's Takamaru's bio from my current fan fiction! Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan was quite happy with this, and I'm sure you will too!

Takamaru Tachibana - Ayumi Tachibana's overprotective older cousin, and a master at Japanese style swordfighting. Owns a dojo for these lessons, and loves his cousin Ayumi with all of his heart. He intends to keep her safe through any means possible. Major Green Tea addict, and also very gentleman-like towards women. Often arguing with Ayumi about her fashion choices, what she can do under his roof, and his open dislike of Mike Jones. Friends with Ninjara, and the two practice swordfighting often.

In case you are wondering what this is for, the answer is right here... https://smashboards.com/threads/the-stories-of-new-tendo-city-social.451965/ farewell for now, folks! ~ Afro

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Since I've covered some characters so far for their fans, here's Takamaru's bio from my current fan fiction! Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan was quite happy with this, and I'm sure you will too!

Takamaru Tachibana - Ayumi Tachibana's overprotective older cousin, and a master at Japanese style swordfighting. Owns a dojo for these lessons, and loves his cousin Ayumi with all of his heart. He intends to keep her safe through any means possible. Major Green Tea addict, and also very gentleman-like towards women. Often arguing with Ayumi about her fashion choices, what she can do under his roof, and his open dislike of Mike Jones. Friends with Ninjara, and the two practice swordfighting often.

In case you are wondering what this is for, the answer is right here... https://smashboards.com/threads/the-stories-of-new-tendo-city-social.451965/ farewell for now, folks! ~ Afro
I'm loving these alt. takes on Nintendo characters, new and old!

D

Deleted member

After playing his game, I fully support Takamaru for Smash Switch.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Watching Usagi Yojimbo in action in that episode of Tales of the TMNT made me crave more samurai action.

Wondering how close to being playable he got in 3DS/WiiU. I mean, he's an assist trophy. Then again, so was Isaac, and yet... :(

These are really nice.

I like the Kenshin and Ichigo alts. Not sure what the last one could be. Perhaps Peacemaker Kurogane?
I forgot.
I think it was Mugen from Samurai Champloo.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Watching Usagi Yojimbo in action in that episode of Tales of the TMNT made me crave more samurai action.

Wondering how close to being playable he got in 3DS/WiiU. I mean, he's an assist trophy. Then again, so was Isaac, and yet... :(

I forgot.
I think it was Mugen from Samurai Champloo.
Nice, that's what I needed to hear. Mugen makes an excellent reference as a costume.

And Usagi is a fantastic character. It's as if every samurai character in fiction is cool and memorable, Takamaru being no exception.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Damn it, I am a fan of Samurai Champloo and I should had known that color was a reference to him. Either way, nice alternate colors Shin.

After playing his game, I fully support Takamaru for Smash Switch.
Welcome to the clan Lampy. Hopefully you played the 3DS version officially. If so, that is great. If only Miiverse were still here, I would had loved to see any last tributes to Murasame Castle before the network had died.

And Usagi is a fantastic character. It's as if every samurai character in fiction is cool and memorable, Takamaru being no exception.
The latter is pretty debatable since after all, it took more than 30 years before the game is finally localized. Unless you mean him being memorable for his modern day cameos and Smash.

And you have a point, there is not one samurai in fiction that isn't cool. Unless they are comic relief like select Yo-Kai Watch characters.

D

Deleted member

Welcome to the clan Lampy. Hopefully you played the 3DS version officially. If so, that is great. If only Miiverse were still here, I would had loved to see any last tributes to Murasame Castle before the network had died.
Oh don't worry, I played it on the virtual console. I pirate many retro games, but with Mursame Castle I felt that I should appriciate the fact Nintendo actually brought over a Japan exclusive game.
It's certainly one of the better games on the system (This may be a controversial opinion, but I don't like most NES games), and a Samurai style sword fighter with projectiles is something that we've never really seen before in Smash.

Then again, so was Isaac, and yet... :(
Now I'm sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll say this.

This could be a new Smash game or a port. That, and chances are that Takamaru could possibly come back a damn Assist Trophy if Sakurai feels like it.

So let's watch this game and the reveals carefully before we jump to conclusions.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'll say this.

This could be a new Smash game or a port. That, and chances are that Takamaru could possibly come back a damn Assist Trophy if Sakurai feels like it.

So let's watch this game and the reveals carefully before we jump to conclusions.
Same.

I will keep my expectations in check. While Takamaru is a strong contender, we still need to know the deal with the Assist Trophy at least first. Just to see if Sakurai had long changed his mind on him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Same.

I will keep my expectations in check. While Takamaru is a strong contender, we still need to know the deal with the Assist Trophy at least first. Just to see if Sakurai had long changed his mind on him.
Same here.

He's definitely a semi-popular character, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves while we haven't see any Assist Trophy in Smash Switch yet.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I feel like it's been forever since I last visited Smash Boards. Seeing as how the new Smash game was announced, I thought it was a good time to return and show my support for Takamaru! Assuming that this is indeed a new game and not a port, I actually think he stands a pretty solid chance of making it this time around. I don't want to get my hopes up too high or anything, though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I feel like it's been forever since I last visited Smash Boards. Seeing as how the new Smash game was announced, I thought it was a good time to return and show my support for Takamaru! Assuming that this is indeed a new game and not a port, I actually think he stands a pretty solid chance of making it this time around. I don't want to get my hopes up too high or anything, though.
Welcome back Calane, long time no see. And I made sure to add you to the old support list.

I'm like you, I am cautiously optimistic that it would be likely if this is a new game and NOT a port. Sure many signs point to it being the former (original logo, no reference to Smash 4, etc), but I'd rather wait for some real confirmation.

That said, things would be looking good for Takamaru this time if Sakurai had been aware of Murasame Castle's English release 4 years ago. If that were the case, I'd say he would be less lenient on his "too unfamiliar to the West" mentality.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Welcome back Calane, long time no see. And I made sure to add you to the old support list.

I'm like you, I am cautiously optimistic that it would be likely if this is a new game and NOT a port. Sure many signs point to it being the former (original logo, no reference to Smash 4, etc), but I'd rather wait for some real confirmation.

That said, things would be looking good for Takamaru this time if Sakurai had been aware of Murasame Castle's English release 4 years ago. If that were the case, I'd say he would be less lenient on his "too unfamiliar to the West" mentality.
Yeah, it's good to be back, and thanks for adding me. Personally, I don't think Sakurai's mentality about unfamiliarity holds up anymore regarding Takamaru. He's more known now than ever before. Heck, even without the release of his game in the west, people would probably recognize him as "that samurai assist trophy guy" if he were to show up in the new game now. Maybe they'd even recognize him from the Mii costume or his music that got remixed in Smash 4. The fact that his game is available outside of japan also makes the "japanese only" excuse nonexistent. Takamaru's in the best spot he's ever been right now, and I can only hope that Sakurai sees it the same way.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, it's good to be back, and thanks for adding me. Personally, I don't think Sakurai's mentality about unfamiliarity holds up anymore regarding Takamaru. He's more known now than ever before. Heck, even without the release of his game in the west, people would probably recognize him as "that samurai assist trophy guy" if he were to show up in the new game now. Maybe they'd even recognize him from the Mii costume or his music that got remixed in Smash 4. The fact that his game is available outside of japan also makes the "japanese only" excuse nonexistent. Takamaru's in the best spot he's ever been right now, and I can only hope that Sakurai sees it the same way.
You basically checked all the good things he has going for him.

More people, fans or casuals, would know of him now thanks to thinks like the Assist Trophy and Mii Fighter costume. Even parts of the Mii Swordsman seems like it was originally designed for Takamaru's canon moveset (They weren't fooling anyone with the shiruken). And before Miiverse had went down, a good fraction of people who played The Mysterious Murasame Castle feels that he would be an excellent Smash fighter (It's bitter sweet knowing I won't see such posts anymore).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It feels kind of sweet that most of the old gang is here. All we need is @ThatShadowLink and bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy then we're good.

I agree with all points whole heartedly.

Given how my Takamaru Mii Fighter felt too good, I had the feeling this was Sakurai's way of trying to make up for no Takamaru. All he was missing was the fire attacks and invisibility cloak really, but had the shirukens and reflecting slash. Maybe, just maybe, he may had been looking at some Smash ballot votes and at least see that he does have some visible Western support.

I don't know about ya'll. But if you ask me....

H I S T I M E I S N O W.
THIS.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So someone tweeted bout that old former promotional Murasame Castle special again And guess who retweeted it? Totototo.

I hope to see him make more awesome sprite work of many old characters, even Takamaru.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Back again to say that I'm still in support of this classic samurai. Easily amongst one of my most wanted characters for the next Smash Bros. Here's hoping that fate is kind to Takamaru and he gets the promotion to playable he's been looking for.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
With the Smash Switch unveiled (even though it is still up in the air as to whether this is a port or a new game), I would like to give my support for Takamaru's inclusion for the game.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
WE BACK BOYS

TAKAMARU FOREVER

He's genuinely the only character I'm pulling for this round. I have a few other likes but I definitely want to rally around my boy this time.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
WE BACK BOYS

TAKAMARU FOREVER

He's genuinely the only character I'm pulling for this round. I have a few other likes but I definitely want to rally around my boy this time.
Glad to see you back old friend.

And yes, things should be looking much better for Takamaru this time.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
Sakurai wanted Takamaru in Smash 4 but decided against it because he thought that he would to unknow to other places besides japan.

Since them a lot more people know more about him since he's an A.T in Smash 4 (and a pretty good one that that) his mini game in Nintendo Land his game being on the 3DS eshop now which helps.

It also helps that the Inklings are now characters now when in the last game they were Mii Costumes so here's hoping to the Hawk Samurai who for some reason has problems talking to girls, gets into this smash game!

INAZUMA LIGHTNING!!!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sakurai wanted Takamaru in Smash 4 but decided against it because he thought that he would to unknow to other places besides japan.

Since them a lot more people know more about him since he's an A.T in Smash 4 (and a pretty good one that that) his mini game in Nintendo Land his game being on the 3DS eshop now which helps.

It also helps that the Inklings are now characters now when in the last game they were Mii Costumes so here's hoping to the Hawk Samurai who for some reason has problems talking to girls, gets into this smash game!

INAZUMA LIGHTNING!!!
Nice catch, no one had ever caught on to that. I think the Inklings more or less confirmed the least of our worries. About whether or not characters how were Mii Fighter outfits are possible as Smash fighters this time around.

And just for that, you are no a part of the Ronin Clan.

D

Deleted member

I forgot to say this, but good luck. Hopefully our favorite Samurai gets included.
(Also I want him to have a Samurai armor alt, because it would be ****ing awesome and I don't care if he doesn't wear one in canon)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
God, it feels good to be back, friends.

Takamaru and K. Rool are the only things I’m gunning for this time. Here’s hoping Sakurai decides enough people know who Takamaru is this time!

We got *so* close in Smash 4! We can do it!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I forgot to say this, but good luck. Hopefully our favorite Samurai gets included.
(Also I want him to have a Samurai armor alt, because it would be ****ing awesome and I don't care if he doesn't wear one in canon)
Thanks Lampy. And a samurai armor alternate costume would be nice.

If we will get alternate costumes. Sure there's Breath of the Wild Link, but that could be his new default design.

God, it feels good to be back, friends.

Takamaru and K. Rool are the only things I’m gunning for this time. Here’s hoping Sakurai decides enough people know who Takamaru is this time!

We got *so* close in Smash 4! We can do it!
Long time no see Banjodorf. Good to see you again.

We were pretty damn close. Especially with all he had before his game was localized (Nintendo Land, Samurai Warriors 3, etc). Here's to hoping that Takamaru puts up as good of a fight as Little Mac.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
But guys, Takamaru would just be another anime swordsman, do we really need him?:troll:
Nice try True Blue Warrior, we know that you are one of us. lol

Nice to bring up that old argument that plagued us for a long time. I'm surprised that no one had brung it up again until you did.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Takamaru is definitely next in line for a retro newcomer candidate. There has yet to be a notable retro revival from Nintendo as of the past few years. So this could be a situation where if there is nothing left to revive, Sakurai might as well consider Takamaru again. Kinda like with Pit and Ice Climbers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think Takamaru is definitely next in line for a retro newcomer candidate. There has yet to be a notable retro revival from Nintendo as of the past few years. So this could be a situation where if there is nothing left to revive, Sakurai might as well consider Takamaru again. Kinda like with Pit and Ice Climbers.
True, these are all good things to really talk about. It's been four years and literally nothing came out of Kamiya and his "interest" in The Mysterious Murasame Castle. So as of now, it's dependent on if Sakurai feels that he has that notability to be in Smash.

Glad to have you back Blue.

Top Bottom