• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Out of curiosity, was the Game Boy Advance region free at the time or you had a Japanese GBA?

Either way, Murasame Castle was a fun ride if you knew what you are doing and avoiding ways getting killed (I definitely had fun playing it four times by now). I just wonder how well they would readapt it in a modern setting, whether it's a full on action game or keep the semi-shooter elements it was known for.

Added.
It was region free. A simple GBA SP.

If i re adapted it to a modern audience, I would go the Devil May Cry/God of War/Bayonetta route, with perhaps a dash of Dynasty Warriors. I imagine a brutal hard yet incredibly fluid and action packed game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It was region free. A simple GBA SP.

If i re adapted it to a modern audience, I would go the Devil May Cry/God of War/Bayonetta route, with perhaps a dash of Dynasty Warriors. I imagine a brutal hard yet incredibly fluid and action packed game.
Right. I've never really tried it myself and was under the impression that only the DS was region free.

I can see it being that way too. Just as there's a big challenging going for it along with a diverse selection of weapons to choose from. Tecmo Koei and Platinum are definitely great fits for that type of genre.

Takamaru support coming through.
Adding.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Though @bksbestbwoy is far less active these days, I'll just do the honors and revive a previous subject we've talked about in the old social.

I'm still of the opinion that a Murasame Castle sequel or reboot should definitely take cues from other stylish action/hack n slash games not named ___ Warriors just because it's one niche that Nintendo internally doesn't have a character or franchise in as yet. What's more, the more I see of things like Nier Automata recently, the more I kinda crave something fluid and fast paced. My personal ideal would have the game cel shaded with a overall great use of colors and environment art with the game play being in the vein of Metal Gear Rising/Nier Automata/Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry with light splashes of Okami.

As for Takamaru's characterization, it'd be really nice if he were somewhat of a dork. I don't necessarily want him to be a tropey one-note character (re: nosebleeds) but it'd definitely be fun if he were somewhat well rounded or genuinely funny versus being another stoic Nintendo blue haired swordsman.

Samurai Jack and Kenshin Himura are great examples of good characterizations for samurai characters to build from.
TL;DR Version

He still agrees with the idea that Murasame castle should be an action hack/slash title due to being a genre that Nintendo rarely taps into, and fully separating it from the Legend of Zelda. He wants the action to be fluid and fast paced like the recent hit Nier Automata. Cel shading would be a nice way of separating it from other games while using a focus on color and environment for everything else.

He wants Takamru to be a character that is far from generic or stoic, but also have his moments of being lighthearted and funny if he wanted to. Not in the way of "lol nosebleeds" from Captain Rainbow (something we all agreed on), but to be a character that's highly expressive when he wants to. Once again, he also states that Samurai Jack and Kenshin Himura would be great inspirations for his character in terms of shaping him up for a revival. You all know the rest.

What do you all think of his words?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nice, now this is a subject worth talking bout, even if I admit it's one of the reoccurring ones that can work for a character like Takamaru. I haven't been to that group since the big move, but it was nice of you to mention it here. Allow me to fully disect it and give my thoughts.

He still agrees with the idea that Murasame castle should be an action hack/slash title due to being a genre that Nintendo rarely taps into, and fully separating it from the Legend of Zelda.
This is a big factor that needs to be done so the revival won't compete with any existing Zelda. Sire they were related back in the day, but it would have to be different and play far differently if it wants to be a successful revival like Punch Out.

Action is definitely a genre that's barely explored under Nintendo's roof, thus fitting Takamaru to the belt. This is definitely one major thing to do.

He wants the action to be fluid and fast paced like the recent hit Nier Automata.

This is definitely a requirement. 1080p with 60 fps is a big standard after all. If ARMS and Mario kart can have it, then so should Takamaru's newest adventure.

Cel shading would be a nice way of separating it from other games while using a focus on color and environment for everything else.

As far as graphical styles, cel shading is heavily underrated, unless its used for most anime video game adaptions these days. I loved Okami alot and wouldn't mind something for that caliber for Takamaru if done right. That would definitely help it stand out from all the gritty, realistic action series we already have (Ninja Gaiden being a big example).

He wants Takamru to be a character that is far from generic or stoic, but also have his moments of being lighthearted and funny if he wanted to. Not in the way of "lol nosebleeds" from Captain Rainbow (something we all agreed on), but to be a character that's highly expressive when he wants to.

Yes, yes. These are definitely things that the directors and writers would have to be wary of when characterizing Takamaru in his big reboot. There are already too many cool, serious, and over the top samurai in fiction and gaming already. takamaru would need some special traits and that Nintendo charm to help him stand out from the others.

He can't be too serious, or too silly. He just needs a happy medium to make himself a balanced character. He can't be edgy at all (So none of that Hatred nonsense) or a pervert (Come on, Fire Emblem already gets enough flack for being a "weeb franchise). He just needs to be an improvement from the stoic, loyal samurai we knew him from the old days and that "joke" from Captain Rainbow.

Once again, he also states that Samurai Jack and Kenshin Himura would be great inspirations for his character in terms of shaping him up for a revival. You all know the rest.
Which are things I can agree with. The things I've liked about these two is that they ere cool as themselves and not following that honorable samurai cliche. Kenshin being a vagabond that wants to atone for his sins of the people he killed and Jack helping others while he finds the portals to leave the future. Both of them are good examples for Takamaru to follow off of as far as character goes while they do have some things that wouldn't work.

For Kenshin, the romance aspect of his character can only work if done right or depending if Nintendo wants Takamaru to gain the love of a maiden instead of merely rescuing them. It can be done as a way where the progression is right so it won't come off as too forced. He can be a deadly fighter in battle if he wants too, but he can't be too hotblooded when it comes to fighting (that's another cliche to be avoided).

For Jack, it depends where they would go from it. Takamaru can be trustworthy to those he meet and genuinely want to help them. But he can't be too much of a pacifist or be gullible for that matter. The whole "atoning for ones sins and post traumatic stress" subplot from Season 5 just can't work for Takamaru. I don't see him as one of those characters that can have a traumatic experience that he grieves over. It can work for a sequel, but definitely not for his first new game in years. He can be flustered by a woman's beauty, but not to the point where he's a stuttering mess (It can be a gag that gets old too fast).

These are my thoughts on the matter.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Having played Nier Automata, I think it's not the best comparison for a Murasame game. It's very spammy, you basically mash buttons + dodge + hold down the fire button and that's really it. It's a very weak combat system. Again, I'd like to bring up the suggestion that it should be more like Ninja Gaiden. More methodical, having to read your opponent and gauge their actions, but still fast paced.

One thing I do like about Automata that could work with a Murasame reboot is that it has an overworld that's very atypical for a hack-and-slash, in that it has a very big open area in its centre that is not linear, which branches off into more linear levels. It's a small world for sure, and I would like a feudal Japan that is more expansive, but having very open levels would stay true to the spirit of the original. Still going from A to B but deciding the way you want to take it.

As for Takamaru's characterization, he should be a very serious character, but not one who hides his emotions outside of combat. Having a very expressive and friendly personality would make him a stark contrast to the usual samurai personification in modern media. He can be goofy, he can tell jokes, but when it comes time for battle he should be cool and collected.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Having played Nier Automata, I think it's not the best comparison for a Murasame game. It's very spammy, you basically mash buttons + dodge + hold down the fire button and that's really it. It's a very weak combat system. Again, I'd like to bring up the suggestion that it should be more like Ninja Gaiden. More methodical, having to read your opponent and gauge their actions, but still fast paced.

One thing I do like about Automata that could work with a Murasame reboot is that it has an overworld that's very atypical for a hack-and-slash, in that it has a very big open area in its centre that is not linear, which branches off into more linear levels. It's a small world for sure, and I would like a feudal Japan that is more expansive, but having very open levels would stay true to the spirit of the original. Still going from A to B but deciding the way you want to take it.

As for Takamaru's characterization, he should be a very serious character, but not one who hides his emotions outside of combat. Having a very expressive and friendly personality would make him a stark contrast to the usual samurai personification in modern media. He can be goofy, he can tell jokes, but when it comes time for battle he should be cool and collected.
As much as I love Nier, I definitely agree that it's type of gameplay would certainly not work for a game like the Murasame Castle. Ninja Gaiden is definitely one of the biggest inspirations that can work for it, which I can agree with. Just more samurai-like and less ninja (so we won't expect any athletic flips or wall climbing out of him).

Having a unique non-linear world can definitely work well, which Nier definitely succeeds in. That worked well for Breath of the Wild having more freedom thanks to thinking back to the NES game's roots. Seeing that with Murasame Castle would be good, especially if you explore regions out side of the five castles. Imagine exploring a forest with many alternate paths and secretes for you to scour, that's the thing I liked out of Breath of the Wild. It's essentially taking what the Famicom game did and making it into something bigger while still being faithful to the original.

I definitely like your take on it. He can be a friendly, social human being while also being this skilled warrior that can cleave a demon in half if he wants. I can see this type of character being well received in the same way Jack and Kenshin's were. Just have to make his emotions and actions believable while being a very refreshing character. But definitely not all too silly like a certain angel.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It appears that Platinum is working on a new IP, possibly after having to cancel Scalebound.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/20/platinum-games-have-teased-a-new-ip/

Because this is a new IP, I highly doubt it would mean the revival of an old IP like Murasame Castle. But never fear, I still think Kamiya is thinking of ideas or not really ready to finalize the project. There's still hope.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It appears that Platinum is working on a new IP, possibly after having to cancel Scalebound.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/20/platinum-games-have-teased-a-new-ip/

Because this is a new IP, I highly doubt it would mean the revival of an old IP like Murasame Castle. But never fear, I still think Kamiya is thinking of ideas or not really ready to finalize the project. There's still hope.
I got excited at first until I read "New IP". Damn it! All my hopes and dreams dashed.

But you're right, it makes sense when Microsoft forced Kamiya to cancel Scalebound. And I'll not lie and say that I'm not curious of this new project.

Yeah, Kamiya needs all the time he can if he's working hard on original ideas for The Mysterious Murasame Castle. If that's what is likely happening behind the scenes, I have full faith in him. Not like he's the only candidate when Team Ninja would be just as good for the project.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So E3 is on the way and we should be getting some big news soon. Whether it be Smash or Takamaru can finally rise from his grave remains unknown. But I'm keeping my expectations in check to avoid major disappointment.

I support Takamaru. Always wanted him as a retro rep.
Added.

Maybe one day he would be lucky enough to break free from that Assist Trophy.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
So E3 is on the way and we should be getting some big news soon. Whether it be Smash or Takamaru can finally rise from his grave remains unknown. But I'm keeping my expectations in check to avoid major disappointment.

Added.

Maybe one day he would be lucky enough to break free from that Assist Trophy.
I waiting for Sonic Forces news, OC'S ARE FUTURE! :101::101::101:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Agreed.

It's too early to expect anything Murasame Castle related at E3. We still don't know what Platinum Game is working on to begin with. Or the extra exclusives that Tecmo Koei had any plans for the Switch.

At best, a Nintendo Direct would be the best place to see Takamaru's revival. As for Smash, it's a make it or break it situation hands down. ARMS could be pushed as the biggest fighter the Switch has to offer for this year and we could get no Smash at all.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I have no doubt in my mind that if we are getting a Smash Switch port, it'll be announced during E3. That being said, I'm 50/50 on whether or not we'll get it this year.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think Takamaru will be in Smash 4 on the Switch. I do, however, think that Smash 5 will likely be his time.

Smash 5 just feels destined to be Takamaru's debut IMO. It feels like there's been a long enough wait and a slow burn buildup in hype and demand and slightly pushed interest by the Smash developers that it will make it happen.

While being an Assist Trophy is usually a dead end for most characters, I think Takamaru will actually use the platform to spring past it to the next level, much like what Little Mac did. The timing just feels too right at this point.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't think Takamaru will be in Smash 4 on the Switch. I do, however, think that Smash 5 will likely be his time.

Smash 5 just feels destined to be Takamaru's debut IMO. It feels like there's been a long enough wait and a slow burn buildup in hype and demand and slightly pushed interest by the Smash developers that it will make it happen.

While being an Assist Trophy is usually a dead end for most characters, I think Takamaru will actually use the platform to spring past it to the next level, much like what Little Mac did. The timing just feels too right at this point.
These are my exact thoughts.

If this is a port, there's no way they are taking any extra effort to remove the Assist Trophy that's already in there. Smash 5 is definitely the perfect time for a character like him. No other more appropriate time to do so, unless he's going to play the "he needs a new game" card for the third time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
These are my exact thoughts.

If this is a port, there's no way they are taking any extra effort to remove the Assist Trophy that's already in there. Smash 5 is definitely the perfect time for a character like him. No other more appropriate time to do so, unless he's going to play the "he needs a new game" card for the third time.
I don't even think it's the Assist Trophy character deal. I think it's just the timing.

The timing and the buildup right now just seems perfect for a few years from now.

The Nintendo-owned character pool is absolutely small right now. I listed all the characters I felt had even minor chances of being Smash newcomers, and only 20 Nintendo-owned characters made the cut. Even amongst those, a few feel like big time reaches at best and many will wash away with time.

On top of that, you look at the retro Nintendo-owned character potential newcomer pool, and there's nothing really left. It's so small the first alternative I thought of was a freaking Tetris block! :laugh:

But really who are the next options?
  • Balloon Fighter: Had his balloons stolen by The Villager.
  • Lip: Less exposure and even more niche.
  • Sukapon: Virtually no exposure.
  • Mach Rider: His game is garbage and you basically have to just make a motorcycle moveset for a random guy on a bike with guns.
  • Prince Sable: Minimal exposure.
  • Excite Biker: Game got more exposure, but few think of the Biker as a character. And even if they do, you gotta be crazy inventive with the moveset. You would probably have to go the Duck Hunt play as the controller/player route with the character to make it work, and even then, it probably isn't worth the effort.
So really... it just feels like the red carpet is slowly getting pulled out for Takamaru. It has taken a long, long, long time (some people here weren't even born when it started!), but we are getting there.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I mean, Takamaru had enough support to get a Mii costume post-release. (god help us) He's not unlikely at this point.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I mean, Takamaru had enough support to get a Mii costume post-release. (god help us) He's not unlikely at this point.
I don't even think it's the Assist Trophy character deal. I think it's just the timing.

The timing and the buildup right now just seems perfect for a few years from now.

The Nintendo-owned character pool is absolutely small right now. I listed all the characters I felt had even minor chances of being Smash newcomers, and only 20 Nintendo-owned characters made the cut. Even amongst those, a few feel like big time reaches at best and many will wash away with time.

On top of that, you look at the retro Nintendo-owned character potential newcomer pool, and there's nothing really left. It's so small the first alternative I thought of was a freaking Tetris block! :laugh:

But really who are the next options?
  • Balloon Fighter: Had his balloons stolen by The Villager.
  • Lip: Less exposure and even more niche.
  • Sukapon: Virtually no exposure.
  • Mach Rider: His game is garbage and you basically have to just make a motorcycle moveset for a random guy on a bike with guns.
  • Prince Sable: Minimal exposure.
  • Excite Biker: Game got more exposure, but few think of the Biker as a character. And even if they do, you gotta be crazy inventive with the moveset. You would probably have to go the Duck Hunt play as the controller/player route with the character to make it work, and even then, it probably isn't worth the effort.
So really... it just feels like the red carpet is slowly getting pulled out for Takamaru. It has taken a long, long, long time (some people here weren't even born when it started!), but we are getting there.
These points I can agree with.

For a formerly Japan-only character, he's got plenty of things going for him, even the things that hold him back (costume and Assist Trophy).

Even when comparing him to his classic competition, it really isn't much to brag about unless they have less things holding them back (especially Balloon Fighter). Swordsman or not, he's got the tools to provide a moveset that's nowhere near similar to the current swordsmen in the roster.

It's a matter of that perfect timing for him to come rolling in Smash.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Poor Scalebound. Not that I wanted to by an Xbox One just to play it.

I'm really curious on his next project too. Either he can be working on a new Murasame Castle at the moment or just giving us Bayonetta 3 first after the success of Bayonetta 2.

I'm excited for whichever new product he's making and I think it's going to be a wild ride. Even if he weren't making a brand new adventure for Takamaru, who else would do it?
Based in the recent interviews ive read on IGN...its something new from him so not bayo 3. But platinum works on a few projects at a time so idk.

Murasames castle wpuld be something they have never done before aka a medieval themed action game and ita something id like to see if not buy and play.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Based in the recent interviews ive read on IGN...its something new from him so not bayo 3. But platinum works on a few projects at a time so idk.

Murasames castle wpuld be something they have never done before aka a medieval themed action game and ita something id like to see if not buy and play.
I was a little sketchy about wanting them to tackle Murasame Castle but if it turns out to be a lot like NiER: Automata, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I was a little sketchy about wanting them to tackle Murasame Castle but if it turns out to be a lot like NiER: Automata, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
Platinum Games can really make a great game like few other studios can.

If we got another Murasame Castle game, and this time it was developed by Platinum Games, you can cash that Takamaru check in (assuming he returns as the main character).
These points I can agree with.

For a formerly Japan-only character, he's got plenty of things going for him, even the things that hold him back (costume and Assist Trophy).

Even when comparing him to his classic competition, it really isn't much to brag about unless they have less things holding them back (especially Balloon Fighter). Swordsman or not, he's got the tools to provide a moveset that's nowhere near similar to the current swordsmen in the roster.

It's a matter of that perfect timing for him to come rolling in Smash.
Not only that, but look at the candidates left from Nintendo-owned characters.

There's not a single character like him in the reasonable potential newcomer pool. Among Nintendo owned characters, the only swordsmen are:

• Fire Emblem characters (right now Alm and maybe Celica have a small window, and the FE15 protagonist certainly will have a large window).
  • Rex (Xenoblades 2's main character) maybe? If it does count, Rex is likely to use a unique weapon like Shulk's Monado.
  • Isaac (relies more on psyenrgy).
That isn't much "competition" even if those characters felt like competition. And even among that competition, 1 might not use a sword or will use a specialized and very unique one, 1 relies more on psyenergy in their games and will rely a lot on that brand of magic attacks, and the Fire Emblem new characters are moving farther and farther away from more traditional fighting game swordplay.

I know there are some burnt out from "sword users," but they really shouldn't be.

Smash 64 added Link.
Melee added Young Link (later became Toon Link), Marth and Roy.
Brawl added Meta Knight, Ike and Pit (technical more of blades than swords)
Smash 4 added Robin, Lucina, Corrin, Shulk, Dark Pit (same as Pit) and Cloud

Take away the clones and semi-clones and we only have 9 sword users. And one of them approach on Takamaru's gimmick, abilities or kit. And on a visual level, even as an Assist Trophy character, Takamaru is very unique from them.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's because we never had Eastern-style swordplay in Smash.
True enough, mate.

This is something we never ever had in Smash before. Not a single swordsman we have now necessarily has that fighting style, not even Marth.

That's what makes Takamaru an excellent addition.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
True enough, mate.

This is something we never ever had in Smash before. Not a single swordsman we have now necessarily has that fighting style, not even Marth.

That's what makes Takamaru an excellent addition.
Again, the only possible options would be either Impa and Ryoma.

But I doubt they would add another Fire Emblem character from Fates and Impa should be more in-line with her canon counterpart than spinoffs.

Takamaru is still he best and most unique option as far as Japanese swordsmanship goes. And Johnknight practically explained why he meets those requirements already.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Impa is extremely unlikely. Despite her being the fourth most important and most reoccurring side character in the entire Zelda franchise, she doesn't have too many fans. (I personally would much rather her than a certain other character who has his own spinoff games and an assist trophy, but reality is a cruel mistress.)

Ryoma, while still breaking the top 10 of the most popular male characters of Fates is still miles below Xander and Leon. And plus, I don't see them adding a one-off character from Fire Emblem who isn't a main protagonist.

So yeah, as far as eastern sword wielders go, Takamaru is unparalleled in terms of importance. Being a retro rep with a lot of cult following behind him helps. Hopefully he'll get the Pit treatment come next game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

But I doubt they would add another Fire Emblem character from Fates and Impa should be more in-line with her canon counterpart than spinoffs.

Takamaru is still he best and most unique option as far as Japanese swordsmanship goes. And Johnknight practically explained why he meets those requirements already.
Impa is extremely unlikely. Despite her being the fourth most important and most reoccurring side character in the entire Zelda franchise, she doesn't have too many fans. (I personally would much rather her than a certain other character who has his own spinoff games and an assist trophy, but reality is a cruel mistress.)

Ryoma, while still breaking the top 10 of the most popular male characters of Fates is still miles below Xander and Leon. And plus, I don't see them adding a one-off character from Fire Emblem who isn't a main protagonist.

So yeah, as far as eastern sword wielders go, Takamaru is unparalleled in terms of importance. Being a retro rep with a lot of cult following behind him helps. Hopefully he'll get the Pit treatment come next game.
Couldn't have said it better myself mates. Whether or not Smash will miss the boat this E3, we still have a long wait until the day Takamaru can make bigger steps outside the AT. He's definitely has his own merits and abilities to stand on, making him less than a low priority character. But not to definite shoe-in levels, we all know what happened the last time.

If he's somehow confirmed as a new fighter or even have a new game in the works, all that patience will be well worth it. Even I'm starting to think that we probably will get a PR mention at best and no trailer for Smash (or worse case scenario: nothing at all).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's because we never had Eastern-style swordplay in Smash.
Yeah we've had sword wielders with some Eastern swordplay elements, but their base was never in Eastern swordplay.

Takamaru's swordsmanship style is definitely Eastern, as are his magical abilities. Both have minimal overlap with any of the current Smash veterans or of the realistic potential newcomer pool.
Ryoma is a minor character (thus disqualified from consideration) and Impa would almost definitely be a Sheik clone, so I don't think we could consider her a sword wielder (past maybe a few moves).

If we are talking about potential sword wielders that could be Nintendo-owned newcomers, past my mention of a Fire Emblem newcomer and Rex (and sort of by extension Elma), the only other candidate I can think of is if Breath of the Wild Link is added as a newcomer (I'd assume under the name "Wild Link" or "Young Link").

But even if we got "Wild Link" or "Young Link" in this manner, there's no overlap whatsoever with Takamaru. The modern Breath of the Wild iteration of Link and Takamaru are rooted in entirely different eras and kinds of video games. They're polar opposites.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ryoma is a minor character (thus disqualified from consideration) and Impa would almost definitely be a Sheik clone, so I don't think we could consider her a sword wielder (past maybe a few moves).

If we are talking about potential sword wielders that could be Nintendo-owned newcomers, past my mention of a Fire Emblem newcomer and Rex (and sort of by extension Elma), the only other candidate I can think of is if Breath of the Wild Link is added as a newcomer (I'd assume under the name "Wild Link" or "Young Link").

But even if we got "Wild Link" or "Young Link" in this manner, there's no overlap whatsoever with Takamaru. The modern Breath of the Wild iteration of Link and Takamaru are rooted in entirely different eras and kinds of video games. They're polar opposites.
I was more along the lines of talking about other Nintendo swords users that can bring an Eastern style than him. But you're right, Takamaru definitely stands above them on the totem pole of likeliness. I mean, he's the original Nintendo samurai before it was cool. :p

To be honest, I just don't see us getting Wild Link as a unwique character in Smash or even a Link semi-clone. They would just base everyone off their Breath if the Wild design (maybe updating Ganondirf's) and call it a day. Rexie does have his issue of really separating himself from Shulk and we don't know that much about his Monado capabilities. As for Fire Emblem, I'd rather not open a can of worms because we know we don't want it to happen yet it could possibly happen. XD

Though at the end of the way, there's not that much competition for Takamaru as far as other swordsmen go. He should have little trouble making himself fit or stand out in the roster.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I was more along the lines of talking about other Nintendo swords users that can bring an Eastern style than him. But you're right, Takamaru definitely stands above them on the totem pole of likeliness. I mean, he's the original Nintendo samurai before it was cool. :p
I was expanding the line of thought you made by "Disqualifying" them from contention to compliment your point(s). :shades:
To be honest, I just don't see us getting Wild Link as a unwique character in Smash or even a Link semi-clone. They would just base everyone off their Breath if the Wild design (maybe updating Ganondirf's) and call it a day. Rexie does have his issue of really separating himself from Shulk and we don't know that much about his Monado capabilities. As for Fire Emblem, I'd rather not open a can of worms because we know we don't want it to happen yet it could possibly happen. XD
For Wild Link, I think you underestimate how many moves he has and how small the newcomer pool is. Keeping the traditional adult Link and anime-esk Link and adding the first "fresh" looking Link that feels like it will last since Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker (although in the latter case it was more of taking stuff from the pre-OOT Link)... that's not something that just happens. It's a special character from a special game with so much more potential we haven't seen in Link.

As for Rex, we don't know yet with Rex. Who knows what the future holds for him or Elma.
Though at the end of the way, there's not that much competition for Takamaru as far as other swordsmen go. He should have little trouble making himself fit or stand out in the roster.
Yeah... he's on an island all his own.

The question is are we going to get to it?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So we got no Smash at E3 all.

On the bright side, that means we likely aren't getting a port after all and there's probably going to be some reworking into the game (like that Assist trophy possibly being removed).

This is good news for Takamaru.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I majorly support Takamaru. I was actually kind of obsessed for some time with the series, and I've collected a ton of artwork that might not be known to you guys. Surprisingly, chibi Takamaru is a recurring theme. The artwork in a lot of these is incredible, and Takamaru's personality is on full display.

\

I only found this one a single time online. No idea what else there is to it.

I have included as many pages as I could find on auctions and other parts of the internet, but it is almost definitely not complete. Made by the Japanese company Yamato Rainbow One

Another Japanese-only manga for Nazo no Murasame jo. This one seems to have the monsters more alienlike, but I couldn't find much of it.

Fun fact: the monsters/yokai in The Mysterious Murasame Castle are actually aliens. It's the plot twist. (What I wouldn't give for a reboot where that's explored more earnestly.)

Also, if anyone wanted a non-Samurai Warriors roster icon:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I majorly support Takamaru. I was actually kind of obsessed for some time with the series, and I've collected a ton of artwork that might not be known to you guys. Surprisingly, chibi Takamaru is a recurring theme. The artwork in a lot of these is incredible, and Takamaru's personality is on full display.

\

I only found this one a single time online. No idea what else there is to it.

I have included as many pages as I could find on auctions and other parts of the internet, but it is almost definitely not complete. Made by the Japanese company Yamato Rainbow One

Another Japanese-only manga for Nazo no Murasame jo. This one seems to have the monsters more alienlike, but I couldn't find much of it.

Fun fact: the monsters/yokai in The Mysterious Murasame Castle are actually aliens. It's the plot twist. (What I wouldn't give for a reboot where that's explored more earnestly.)

Also, if anyone wanted a non-Samurai Warriors roster icon:
Hello there Pacack, long time no see.

I'm glad that you had all these old images in hand, because they would look excellent for the second part of our OP. I remember most of them like it was yesterday, even your old Chibi Takamaru avatar. :p

Added you back because you a Takamaru supporting veteran like most of us. The best thing e can do is wait for his grand return in a new game or join a possible Smash Switch's roster.

Top Bottom