• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Not gonna lie, this hurts a lot especially considering just how good everything else looks. Guess the moral of this story is to only root for popular ongoing franchise faces. =/
Hoping for a Ballot or something to show that people care but eh.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Can't believe I had to make this video so soon. I am heartbroken. Best of luck next time, my friends.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I never posted in here, but I was hoping to see Takamaru as a newcomer. I was happy when he wasn't included in the assist trophies during the direct, but I guess the idea he wasn't an assist didn't last long...

Hopefully he gets in the next game and Platinum Games can finally make a Takamaru game!

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Takamaru and Bomberman getting disconfirmed right off the bat is definitely the most disappointing part of the game to me right now.

Maybe next time...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite hurts me deep inside, honestly - doesn't help I see Sukapon in the mix as well, among others. Didn't take time at all to see this slew of deconfirmations.

I truly believe it is the time for Takamaru to try making a comeback on his own rather than Smash Bros at this point. Maybe PlatinumGames has some interest still for Nazo No Murasame Jo IIRC?

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Well, this was a downer.

And I was so sure of him joining, too...

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
The way I see it this Smash is far more focused on the vets so the more obscure characters are being left behind this time. This Smash really is different from the rest so next game I think he's still got a good shot. Though Nintendo feel free to revive the series and increase his chances further.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'd bet if this game took the usual focus on newcomers, Takamaru would've been in. Very sad to see he's out considering his amazing potential, but if we can get a Murasame revival (could pop up at any time by any developer since the fan and dev interest is there), he's absolutely back in the running.

It's not "goodbye", just "see you later".

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I think the thing that's worrisome is seeing some folks rejoicing that he was turned down because apparently "his fanbase" got annoying. I'm seeing it a lot in a few threads around here and I wish if I could hear out why some folks felt that way, but I just kinda don't want to deal with the disappointment + vindication of others. TL;DR treat others nicely and be excited for the character without being rude to folks. Do the best you can.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I think the thing that's worrisome is seeing some folks rejoicing that he was turned down because apparently "his fanbase" got annoying. I'm seeing it a lot in a few threads around here and I wish if I could hear out why some folks felt that way, but I just kinda don't want to deal with the disappointment + vindication of others. TL;DR treat others nicely and be excited for the character without being rude to folks. Do the best you can.
That's weird, actually. I don't recall Takamaru fans being especially vocal and certainly not enough to actively be happy by him not making the cut. Maybe some of them are referring to how people were confident in him being the new retro rep?

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I don't doubt that it's probably overconfidence on the part of speculators that might have done it. Either way, I just want to move on to the next arc of this stuff. The samurai/draw-and-sheathe swordsman mold is still vacant and Sakurai really should address it some way.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, we fought the good fight, but there's always next time.

At least the wait wasn't too long for disconfirmation this time.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, we fought the good fight, but there's always next time.

At least the wait wasn't too long for disconfirmation this time.
I can definitely at least accept how quick it was. It would've been much more crushing if his AT wasn't in the demos and videos, all the speculation and hope built up, and we didn't even get to know of his fate until the full game dropped.

The way I see it, Takamaru didnt even show up as an AT until last game. And Takamaru being a really big choice everyone was talking about as a "shoo-in" didnt happen until after the game plan was set.

Maybe im an optimist, but I think that as long as hope isnt lost and as long as people stay loud Takamaru will have a good shot with how popular he was able to get this time around
:061:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The way I see it, Takamaru didnt even show up as an AT until last game. And Takamaru being a really big choice everyone was talking about as a "shoo-in" didnt happen until after the game plan was set.

Maybe im an optimist, but I think that as long as hope isnt lost and as long as people stay loud Takamaru will have a good shot with how popular he was able to get this time around
:061:
The interest is definitely going to yield results one day. Maybe there'll be a Murasame revival first, but if unwavering fan support can work for the character that was supposedly "too big", it can work for Takamaru.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah, I'll still be supporting Takamaru any way I can. E3 got me kinda hype for samurai stuff in games again between Sekiro, Ghosts of Tsushima and Nioh 2. I was hoping Nintendo would do the thing but hopefully we'll get an opportunity to show that we're interested in this character, no matter what.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I think he'll be in the next game. I think Sakurai saw a chance to bring everyone back and decided to do that and left little dev time to newcomers. I don't even think there will be a retro character this time. So that's why he's still an AT but next game where it'll be a lot harder to bring everyone back he'll go back to focusing on newcomers and Takamaru will be our retro.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If people are gloating/trolling others about the disconfirmation, please report it so the Moderation can take action.

We don't tolerate that kind of trolling.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I came by when I heard he was shown as an AT, I wanted to see it for myself. Man, that's too bad. I've posted here a few times, and I thought Takamaru had a really good chance. Even if I haven't played Murasami's castle personally, I'd be totally down with a Samurai in Smash. Here's hoping he makes it next time.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I came ,by when I heard he was shown as an AT, I wanted to see it for myself. Man, that's too bad. I've posted here a few times, and I thought Takamaru had a really good chance. Even if I haven't played Murasami's castle personally, I'd be totally down with a Samurai in Smash. Here's hoping he makes it next time.
Right, there's next time at least.

Depends on what the new direction of the series will be like. Since he did spend most of his time bringing back so much old stuff, stages and cut veterans.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Right, there's next time at least.

Depends on what the new direction of the series will be like. Since he did spend most of his time bringing back so much old stuff, stages and cut veterans.
It's hard to say. People are still torn on whether this is a port or not, with quite a few saying it looks pretty new, but with a lot of assets from Smash Wii U used, and the remaining characters not too difficult to implement. Add a few newcomers and it was about what some people were expecting, with quite a few speculators positing that newcomers might be on the low side.

Personally, I'm kind of in the camp of calling this "Smash 4.5" in a sense. Pretty new, but no doubt helped in development by its' existing Wii U cousin. It was a smart move to release it early, and it may well stand as the Switch's Smash title, unless they actually release a new one later on, which may be plausible given the Switch's projected 10 year life span.

when we inevitably get another Smash reveal, I'm thinking cuts are extremely likely, and slightly more newcomers than Ultimate to make it feel like a proper new Smash title. That said, I could personally see Nintendo going back to this "every character is back!" scenario every three or so Smash iterations from here on. A roster reaching 80, 90, 100 characters seems insane, but it would be a perfect draw to make the Smash series really stand out if it was constantly done as an uncommon, but momentous occasion.

That said Sakurai hasn't dropped a retro character yet, so when Takamaru does make it, I don't really see him on the chopping block.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Truly a shame Takamaru didn't make the cut. When I saw him pop out of an Assist Trophy during E3, I dryly said, "Damn it all." I thought he would have been a very unique character, given his scrolls and other things. If they could make the bloody Duck Hunt Dog work, then they sure as hell could have made Takamaru work. [Shrugs] Oh well, no point in crying over spilled milk.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Answered Murasame Castle. Also told them their E3 pales in comparison to Todd Howard's massive ego.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Its sucks that Takamaru is assist trophy most of the fans was for sure he will be the new retro character in ultimate. He was my number 1 Nintendo character from anyone else but I got Daisy shes like my number 1. Well maybe Lip is possible theres no way that Sakurai will not add new retro rep it will be mind blowing than Waluigi as assist trophy.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not gonna lie I actually thought he had a pretty good shot this time around. Needless to say I was surprised with the result.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I dont like the idea people bring up assist trophy could be playable before the final game it like the samething with Brawl and smash 4 please tell me Im not alone on this. I gotta face the music with Takamaru assist trophy but it dont matter to me anymore ever sense daisy was reveal playable life sucks nah I got my princess trio thats big for me I dont care if Impa to smash.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Probably one of the last things I'll post here before things die down, I was curious so I started browsing Japan-side Twitter for reactions to things and it turns out (via poor Bing translations), they were a lot more animated about the status of things right now.

Link.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Probably one of the last things I'll post here before things die down, I was curious so I started browsing Japan-side Twitter for reactions to things and it turns out (via poor Bing translations), they were a lot more animated about the status of things right now.

Link.
So a lot of Japanese fans are disappointed in the Assist Trophy coming back? Or they hope he get a better shot next time?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
So a lot of Japanese fans are disappointed in the Assist Trophy coming back? Or they hope he get a better shot next time?
The translation plugin is absolutely terrible, but from what I can understand it was either people talking about the fact he is an assist, or people saying they wanted him playable. No one said anything along the lines of him being undeserving or not wanting him.

If his home country wants him as much as we do, then why do we have to wait until next time? Damnit, Sakurai. You've done our boy wrong.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
New conspiracy theory: What if he's saving him for the table? As in letting his buddy Kamiya handle a new project to gauge interest?

But that's a theory. A Game Theory.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Its such a shame that Takamaru got the AT-treatment again. I really thought that he had a good shot, and he would have been so fun to play as. There's always a chance for DLC, as slim as it may be.

Top Bottom